• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What's the difference between unconventional resistance and normal resistance?

Hmmm, I think it would be an extra factor that gives you more than a normal resistance but without it being an immunity...

Immunity >> Unconventional Resistance >> Normal Resistance

Here 2 Examples

Anos: Unconventional Resistance to Soul Manipulation & Mind Manipulation (An excellent magician can keep their memories in their source, which is the fundamental concept of existence that exists deeper than the body, soul and mind, and even if the physical body perishes, as long as the source is intact, they can be revived. In other words, they can act, "think", and utilise powers with only their source (concept), and therefore have unconventional resistance to conventional powers that affect the soul or mind) This means, you need to be able to interact with Anos' source (concept) in order to affect his soul and mind and that's why a normal mind or soul manip won't work on him.

Rimuru: Unconventional Resistance to Mind Manipulation (Rimuru's memories are stored in his astral body, and as long as he retains his conscious soul and memory, he can be revived even when his body is completely damaged. In other words, he can think with his soul and is thus immune to mind control effects) This means you need to be able to reach his astral body which I do not remember exactly where it is located for it to be affected.

As I said before, it is more than a simple resistance because it takes certain factors to affect, but it is not an immunity because it can be affected if you meet the factors, not the best explanation but I hope it will help you

Hmmm, I think it would be an extra factor that gives you more than a normal resistance but without it being an immunity...

Immunity >> Unconventional Resistance >> Normal Resistance

Here 2 Examples

Anos: Unconventional Resistance to Soul Manipulation & Mind Manipulation (An excellent magician can keep their memories in their source, which is the fundamental concept of existence that exists deeper than the body, soul and mind, and even if the physical body perishes, as long as the source is intact, they can be revived. In other words, they can act, "think", and utilise powers with only their source (concept), and therefore have unconventional resistance to conventional powers that affect the soul or mind) This means, you need to be able to interact with Anos' source (concept) in order to affect his soul and mind and that's why a normal mind or soul manip won't work on him.

Rimuru: Unconventional Resistance to Mind Manipulation (Rimuru's memories are stored in his astral body, and as long as he retains his conscious soul and memory, he can be revived even when his body is completely damaged. In other words, he can think with his soul and is thus immune to mind control effects) This means you need to be able to reach his astral body which I do not remember exactly where it is located for it to be affected.

As I said before, it is more than a simple resistance because it takes certain factors to affect, but it is not an immunity because it can be affected if you meet the factors, not the best explanation but I hope it will help you
Ok i get it, thanks for explanation

It means you don’t have an actual resistance but instead some mechanic that makes the hax ineffective under certain circumstances.

The most common example is having your soul outside of your body. In this case, using soul hax on your body won’t do anything no matter how much an enemy negates resistances, but if they can actually target the soul it would have no resistance whatsoever.

Another somewhat common example is resisting mind reading by having several simultaneous flows of thought. In this case the telepath can still read your mind, but they won’t get the desired information, so resistance negation doesn’t matter. They end up either reading the wrong train of thought or getting some incoherent jumble that stops them from understanding your plan. But if they’re just more precise or smarter they could still target the right train of thought, or untangle the mixed thoughts.

Back