• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

6B Mihawk ?

The sword slash Mihawk used at Marineford was stated to be the strongest sword slash in the world therefore it should scale above Spear of Elbaf.

There's disagreements about whether or not that was truly the strongest sword slash

It would be pretty pathetic that Jozu stopped it and redirected it (Not to say Jozu is weak, but I mean... It's Jozu...)

Random fodder Marines don't know what they're talking about

It could be interpreted as a slash from the strongest swordsman as oppose to the strongest slash if that makes sense.

This also happened before Big Mom used Spear of Elbaf

Jozu's diamond form is far stronger than his base, later Mr 1 blocks an air slash from Mihawk but Mihawk then proceeds to cut him regularly with ease so this could simply mean fruits like Mr 1 and Jozu require Mihawk to use haki and unlike Mr 1 Mihawk didn't attack again against Jozu. the two times Jzou was stopped was via Dura negation and Strings which he got caught in off guard.

Eminiteable said:
Jozu's diamond form is far stronger than his base, later Mr 1 blocks an air slash from Mihawk but Mihawk then proceeds to cut him regularly with ease so this could simply mean fruits like Mr 1 and Jozu require Mihawk to use haki and unlike Mr 1 Mihawk didn't attack again against Jozu. the two times Jzou was stopped was via Dura negation and Strings which he got caught in off guard.
I know, but it's still Jozu. Mihawk should be Yonko tier, we've seen how Yonko's handle first mate's let alone Jozu who was 3rd division commander.

Did Daz Bones block Mihawk's attack? I can't tell if Mihawk just hit him immediately after with another attack or if the first attack wasn't successfully blocked. Regardless, it's not even comparable, Mihawk obviously wasn't using his full strength against Luffy, nowhere near the amount he would have used against Whitebeard with the attack Jozu blocked.

Mihawk not attempting to attack Jozu is even worse, the attack was directed at Whitebeard, somebody massively stronger than Jozu.

And you still disregarded everything else in my post.

Ee985862f03bfe5f7a81e2ad38ef46bb

I'm saying based off the ending statement by Mr 1 "what's next will you cut diamond" that Jozu's fruit works similarly to Mr 1's, for sowrdsman to bypass steel you need to embue Ryou in the blade to bypass it, this is still proven when Mihawk failed to cut Mr 1 when he wasn't intending to cut steel (yet did it with ease when he was).

The Zoro fight proves that strength isn't the determining factor for swordsman when trying to cut things like steel and diamond; Zoro was massively physically superior to Mr 1 yet couldn't even dent him.

Keep in mind Luffy is able to casually break steel in East Blue yet Alabasta Zoro who has more AP struggles with it.

> Did Daz Bones block Mihawk's attack? I can't tell if Mihawk just hit him immediately after with another attack or if the first attack wasn't successfully blocked.

Yes, Mihawk hit him with a second attack.

Anyway, I don't think the statements from some random pirates should be enough to state that Mihawk's attack there was actually stronger than Big Mom.

Damage3245 said:
Anyway, I don't think the statements from some random pirates should be enough to state that Mihawk's attack there was actually stronger than Big Mom.
Why? It was a singular no name Marine probably with the rank of Captain or below.

Has that Marine seen Big Mom's Elbaf Spear? Does that Marine even understand how strong Mihawk is? I mean, he's fodder and probably weaker than Luffy from Skypiea

This is also ignoring the fact that Big Mom used Elbaf spear years after Mihawk did this, at the time that might have been the strongest attack (That's a big if since the person saying it is a nobody with no clue on how strong these people are).

@Purgy; err, I'm agreeing with you. I said I don't think the statements should be enough.

I think it was pretty apparent the marine in question was being used as a narrative device.

Also Jozu didn't really block the attack, it was more like he redirected it.

Heavily disagree, but that's your opinion.

Even if what you said was true, it doesn't change the fact that Big Mom's attack came years after Mihawk's, the statement would only apply to prior feats, not future ones.

LordWhis said:
I highly doubt Spear of Elbaf was an attack that BM learned during the time skip.
That isn't what I said, nor does it matter.

You don't get to interchange statements made by characters and statements made by the narrator just so it suits your argument.

Why are you bumping this? The argument is too weak to even be considered a legit reason to scale him.

I don't think it's weak.

At the very least it merits a possibly 6B rating.

Especially considering the data books outright state Mihawk > Shanks, Mihawk's title, Shanks' rivalry, the balance of powers etc.

LordWhis said:
The sword slash Mihawk used at Marineford was stated to be the strongest sword slash in the world therefore it should scale above Spear of Elbaf.
This isn't an argument. And this is the OP you wrote, so you were using this as main piece of evidence.

On the other side, we have no idea if Mihawk has ever challenged any Yonko but Shanks, and that happened many years ago.

Before throwing his slash towards Shirohige, he stated he wanted to check the difference between them, meaning that there's one. Implying they are not equal.

Shouldn't Mihawk and Prime Ryuma both have "Possibly/Likely Extrasensory Perception" similar to Zoro (Breathe of All Things) due to being the World's Greatest Swordsman;
Breathe of All Things 1
Breathe of All Things 2.5

@calaca: That's because it is the main piece of evidence. It was the strongest sword slash in the world. Spear of Elbaf is a sword slash.

That could be interpreted many ways but I would like to point out is possible to be stronger than Big Mom but weaker than WB since WB was implied to be the strongest Yonko.

Again it's safe to say he was being used as a narrative device here. Also nobody contradicted him.

Which was done around ten years before the SoE.

If someone like a Vice Admiral were to say that, I'd say the statement holds more credibility, but the current reason doesn't hold too much water. We take context in these cases, including who says the statement.

There isn't much reason in trying to upgrade Mihawk on such flimsy "evidence", next OP chapter takes place in the present so has the potential to show us what occurred with the former warlords, that could give far better evidence or feats for a Mihawk upgrade.

Back