• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

2 Beings of Destruction From Hell that starts with "W" go bang bang with each other

Wall of Flesh Vs Wither

Battle takes place in The Nether, 20m initial distance, Speed is Equalized. 8-C Wither will be used.

WoF:

Wither:

WoF
Wither

If I remember correctly the Wither's usual attack pattern is to just approach and hover near the closest living target while shooting explosive skulls at it. Can sometimes break blocks on contact. What will likely happen is, battle begins, Wall of Flesh involuntarily moves forward while the Wither closes the distance to start shooting. Thing is, since there are so many Hungry, the Wither is more likely to target them rather than the facial features of the WoF. The skulls do explode and do area damage, however, so it will likely harm multiple Hungry at once, and there is a chance the explosions might reach the eyes and mouth. Still, the Hungry will form a decent meat shield (pun partially intended) against the Wither's attacks, when the Wither is more likely to target the Hungry anyway, making the damage against the Wall's actual weak points inconsistent. Meanwhile, the Wall's own damage against the Wither is very consistent. Recall that the Wither just tries to stay nearby an opponent to shoot, moving if they move in attempt to chase after them. Well, the Wall is constantly forward towards the Wither, so the Wither has no incentive to move; it will stay in front of the Wall tanking damage, making no attempt to evade the attacks. There, it will get consistently damaged by the Hungry, and every now and then, the Wall will catch up and deal contact damage, pushing the Wither back again. The Wall constantly moves forward, knocking back and damaging opponents when they fail to keep their distance, even phasing them through blocks if need be, in order to keep them on the front side of the Wall. The Wither, on the other hand, won't make any attempt to keep its distance and will keep getting bumped back while still getting gnawed on from many angles by the Hungry. At least the Wither is capable of breaking blocks on contact should they run into a Wall, which is likely considering they are in the Nether, but this ability isn't necessary considering the Wall will force the enemy through blocks anyway. All of this on top of how the Wall actually has a slight AP edge, and the Wither won't last long enough to see all of the Hungry eventually get killed by exploding skulls, but it won't exactly go down instantly. Even if it does last a while, it will eventually get bombarded by eye lasers that are sure to finish the job.

Bottom line: The Wall has more versatile attacks that will damage more consistently than the Wither's own attacks, all the while the Wither is making no attempt to dodge and getting constantly pushed back by contact damage, with the Wall even having a slight AP edge. However, the AP gap is small enough that the Wither might put up a decent fight and deal sizable damage before it is inevitably defeated.

I love this matchup for the concept, and although it's somewhat of a borderline stomp, I like that the Wither at least won't go down that easily and there's still some semblance of a struggle the Wall must go through to kill it.

Nice "review"(?) Btw Dangerous. Just some corrections though that i think you missed: all Wither attacks apply Wither Effect, which would quickly decompose The Hungry, so they wouldnt last too long. And also, the Skelly Boi can't be killed by the lasers because of his Anti-Projectile Shield at 50% health. So...

But i Will still count your vote anyways, nice analysis

The Wither is immune to arrows and tridents. These are not arrows and tridents. In Terraria, most lasers are established as a type of magic attack, which is fundamentally different from a ranged attack. The Wither has never canonically fought someone who uses weaponized lasers and there's no proof that they can be deflected in the same way that arrows and tridents can. And my second point is not just how these damage types are handled in Terraria, but also in Minecraft. You see, in experimentation, I killed myself with damage splash potions, and it said in chat that Dangerous killed Dangerous with magic, confirming that negative potions are a type of magic damage in Minecraft. That being said, I tested damaging myself without armor, and tested with full diamond armor enchanted with projectile prot 4. The result was that it made no difference in how much damage I took (this, by extent, implies that certain magic attacks in Minecraft can ignore armor and defense). I made a second test just to make sure. Shulkers are completely immune to arrows/tridents when hiding in their shell, they bounce off much in the same way they do when fired at a Wither in its second phase. I spawned one and threw damage potions ONLY when it was in its shell, and sure enough, it took damage anyway, implying that its physical-projectile-resistant shell does not protect it from magic. So there you have it. Entities in Minecraft that are immune to or otherwise resist physical projectiles such as arrows and tridents are not safe from magic attacks. If this is applied to Terraria's logic, think of an enemy that is immune to ranger weapons but can still be damaged by mage weapons. And in case you don't actually know that much about damage types in Terraria, here's a brief crash course. There are four (technically five) main categories of weapons, and the category of a weapon can be determined by what "type of damage" is listed in the tooltip. For example, this weapon does "9 summon damage" or it could be "110 melee damage". You see, ranged weapons are centered around consuming limited ammo from the inventory, and they range from bows that shoot arrows to guns that shoot bullets. Magic weapons don't consume inventory ammo but instead consume mana that can regen naturally or through potions. Although all magic weapons fire projectiles, which makes their usage similar to that of a ranged weapon, the game still considers them fundamentally different damage types. And, you see, I can't think of a ranged weapon that fires lasers off the top of my head (not even luminite bullets should count as lasers), meanwhile there's a few magic weapons the player can choose from that do create lasers, such as the Space Gun, Laser Machine Gun, Heat Ray, Shadowbeam Staff, Charged Blaster Cannon, Last Prism, etc. (although many of them have "gun" in the title, these examples consume mana and the game still considers them magic weapons). That being said, the WoF's laser attack is implied to be a magic attack, and it is being used against an enemy that blocks physical ranged attacks but not necessarily magic attacks.

Although the Wither may be able to kill off all the Hungry, and its regen might help it counter the occasional damage taken from being pushed back by the WoF, when WoF's health gets low enough, it will spam lasers that will damage Wither quickly enough to get around its regen.

The Wall of Flash will constantly move forward with the hungry, but they can be quickly disposed of by wither skull blasts causing splash damage, especially with the added Death manipulation on top.

The Wall of Flesh has no resistance to death manipulation iirc, so that's going to be a supernatural poisoning effect for it against the Wither's regen. Those two things are going to counter the small AP advantage for the WoF. Something that most people don't know is that the Wither heals much faster when it hits its target, and since it's pretty much nearly impossible for the Wither to miss the Wall of Flesh, it'll regenerate at its highest speed.

The wither, at first, always tries to keep its distance from its opponents, so it'd freely attack the Wall of Flesh while also backing away from the WoF, slowly withering it while giving it damage and keeping away from the hungry. Its three different heads fire independently, so it'd be able to deal with being outnumbered a lot easier than one would think, not to mention the Hungry are nowhere near as durable as the WoF itself.

This will lead the first half of the battle to be ranged combat with the WoF firing lasers and the Wither launching skulls. The Wither will be capable of dealing more damage due to its wither and regen, so the WoF would be more likely to go in its aggressive rushing state by the end of all this. It'd only be a game of delay with the Hungry and leeches.

When nearly dead, the WoF moves its fastest, which is massively faster than its normal speed. But again, that's when it's nearly dead. The Wither goes straight to prioritizing melee only when it takes serious damage, but not critical. So the Wither is more willing to pull out all the stops sooner than the WoF.

It's definitely not a 100% win, honestly it's rather close, but I'm leaning towards either the Wither via wither and regen or inconclusive due to WoF's summoning distractions, because honestly if it weren't for the leeches and the Hungry, all the WoF would have going for it to win is the lasers, which the Wither can regen from with easy cheap poisoning shots from its skulls.

SeeDangeroustaco said:
maybe it's a bit late to say this but terraria's verse just got upgraded so now wof one shots wither with any of its attacks
see what i meant? Anyways with the WOF tongue the wither can't escape, and will end up being completely fried by the lasers. Perhaps we'll have Kentucky Fried Wither?

Lunar Module said:
see what i meant? Anyways with the WOF tongue the wither can't escape, and will end up being completely fried by the lasers. Perhaps we'll have Kentucky Fried Wither?
well back when their AP was roughly on par, the wither wouldn't exactly travel far enough to be affected by the tongue, its attack pattern is to keep a small distance while shooting, but it doesn't matter now that upgraded terraria can one shot

There is no 8-C Wither, only High 8-C and possibly 8-B, but I'll assume that 8-C means High 8-C. The Wither won't go back far enough to get sucked into WoF's mouth, because he stays directly on top. The Wither can fly, so he won't get hit by the Hungrys and the Leeches that WoF spawns. Although the Wither won't be able to significantly damage WoF with explosions, since that's at least a tier below WoF's durability, the Wither can slowly death manip WoF. But when WoF is almost defeated, it continuously shoot laser, which doesn't seem to be that much weaker than WoF's melee. WoF's AP is Multi-City Block level, while the Wither's durability is at most City Block level, so the Wither gets fried. WoF wins.

Worth noting that the Wither is immune to all splash potions except Instant Healing/Harming, indicating it has some level of magic resistance. It can get hurt by Guardian lasers, though.

Leaning towards inconclusive FRA.

Back