• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

2-A Pokemon Upgrade Revival: The Time Has Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they don't. There might be others who tailor sentences to their advantage in this manner (which I personally doubt since this is clearly very blatant and extremely counter-productive), and if there are they are just as wrong as this one.

A completely unrelated, and unsubstantiated, response to what I had posted. The point remains.

None. Zilch. Nada. All of the sources are separate and they all have their own context.
This is pretty much argument from incredulity, as you're literally just saying "no is not" without elaborating further.

^^Question for last argument, why Arceus should be mentioned in game interview, plot of which not twists around him but other legendary Pokemons?
Correct me if I wrong.

Dialga and Palkia are clearly not the masters of substance itself
Eh pretty sure they are, no space and time = nothing. The only thing you could argue separate from this is spirits... which gets referenced in the statement to be other Pokémon’s domains so Masuda got it completely right really.

While an argument can be made for infinite space and time referring to a single universe as opposed to the overall multiverse but personally, I don't see how it can be flowery.

Like, even if it is part of his vision for the game, it's still a reference to how the cosmology works. Otherwise, I'm not sure what infinite would even represent.

Last edited:
Professor

My response to Ploz has nothing to do with the validity of one point or another, just explaining where the argument was at.

"Inventing points"... like quoting the paragraph back?
No, as in misinterpreting it.
Again, I have only really done that and shower doubt upon how Lucian and the TCG connect to Masuda's response, which is pretty tame and mostly reliant on what you guys already used.
The point isn't that Lucian and the TCG connect to the response because that isn't needed. The point is that they all support the main point they equate to. Infinite time and space.

Thats how supporting evidence works.
Again, what dots are we connecting that aren't there?
Your entire point on this being flowery language is based on the part of the response that speaks about substance, which again, has absolutely nothing to do with the scale of what time and space are in the verse.
If you think that referencing the rest of the paragraph you got your quote from counts, then I have to point out this is basic paragraph structuring. It's even worse considering again, Lucian and TCG are being connected to Masuda's statement somehow and infinite space and time somehow equating to millions of infinite multiverses.
Stop presenting this as "connecting". We aren't saying they're connected to Masuda's statement, we're saying they support each other.
Which is not irrelevant when your counterargument according to your blog was Lucian and the TCG in the first place. And it confuses how you can refer to your blog's point as irrelevant when that's the response everyone keeps telling me to read.
It is, because again, Lucian and the TCG are used as supporting evidence. They don't have to connect to Masuda's statement at all. They support each other, and simply support each other.
Again, how on Earth are they irrelevant when they're part of the same paragraph discussing the same topic of ultimate on how Masada designed the Pokemon game.
Because they're 2 different parts of what Masuda considers the ultimate? Literally what is this?

While an argument can be made for infinite space and time referring to a single universe as opposed to the overall multiverse but personally, I don't see how it can be flowery.
My blog already gave an answer to this too on why that argument can't be formed, since Dialga and Palkia's dominion of what they govern is very obviously far beyond the scope of a single universe.

Yeah, there's even that part about Palkia being stated to be the creator of parallel dimensions and everything being a part of space being mentioned right after, that Strym posted.

Yeah, there's even that part about Palkia is stated to be the creator of parallel dimensions and everything being a part of space being mentioned right after that Strym posted.
I mean, we got:
  • Space being described as all the parallel dimensions
  • Palkia being described as the master of space
  • Palkia being described as the creator of these parallel dimensions
  • Palkia being stated to be able to manipulate space, which are parallel dimensions as even implied furthermore in the Darkrai movie and other medias
What else should we got lol

Regardless, it seems the main issue is the statement from the author, so we should see what the staff and others have to say on that.

Regardless, it seems the main issue is the statement from the author, so we should see what the staff and others have to say on that.
We accept author interview statements all the time as they are in-depth contextual answers, and Masuda's statements are already accepted here.

There should be zero issues from this standpoint. At this point, this is only stonewalling the arguments.

I personally agree with the statement and upgrade. That said, this argument doesn't seem like it'll cease since its primarily a issue of views on wording.

Creator statements are accepted unless they’re contradictory or otherwise proven unreliable. If that’s not the case, then you can use them completely fine.

Well, we used interviews like these for Mario and Akuma Homura, so it shouldn't be a problem here regardless.

Styrm

We were arguing how Masuda's statement connects with Lucian and the TCG statement, and how it debunks it being flowery language?

Okay. How do you read that entire paragraph and not see how most of it is flowery and relating to how it all connects back to the theme of ultimate? Even if we say that somehow the last part of the paragraph is independent from the rest, how do you not see the first half as flowery?

Arceus was more of a point that calling Dialga and Palkia substance incarnate is hard-pressed, given Arceus created them too.

Professor

I think any neutral person can read the paragraph and reasonably interpret it similar to what I said, I mean he repeatedly mentions how he wanted to make the game focused around his idea of 'ultimate' whether it be with the GTS or storyline.

Again, I'm focused on how Lucian and the TCG were used as the counterarguments in the blog for flowery language.

It's based on the rest of the paragraph, not just the substance part. The idea being if he's being hyperbolic and flowery with the rest of the paragraph, it makes little sense he would stop with the last sentence.

That's just wordplay at this point, and it was countering your claim of how dots were being connected on this side when all the dot-connecting is being done on yours.

Again, the counterarguments on the blog are being used to indicate it isn't vague or flowery; the former is plausible but the latter has to come from within the paragraph itself.

Which is still a discussion of what he considers ultimate.

Styrm I can assure you, if Homura's interview began with "Yeah, this is my interpretation of ultimate and how UM and AH represent love and despair", we wouldn't be using it.

I didn't read all replies, so I might have missed some important post, but here's my opinion based on the blog and some of the messages.

I'm against using Masuda's statement, as to me he's referring to a single universe, and I don't like mixing his words with other concepts, as we don't really know what he meant.

BUT

As someone already said (DDM, for example, I think) if the universe is infinite (in both time and space, stated by Masuda, Lucia and the ruins, if I'm not wrong), and there are alternate universes for each possibility, consequently there have to be infinite parallel universes, as the possibilities are infinite.
Though, nitpicking, I don't see in the blog an explicit mention to a universe for every single possibility, just for other possibilities. I may be missing something, but I think that to make it totally solid, we would need a statement of said universes existing for each possibility.

Another things, doesn't the "ever-expanding" space statement contradicts it being infinite?

I'm also against using the TCG, as it's just the name of an expansion, not an evidence.

We were arguing how Masuda's statement connects with Lucian and the TCG statement, and how it debunks it being flowery language?
Stop using the word connect, I'm not doing it, I'm using it to B A C K U P these statements not being flowery.
Okay. How do you read that entire paragraph and not see how most of it is flowery and relating to how it all connects back to the theme of ultimate? Even if we say that somehow the last part of the paragraph is independent from the rest, how do you not see the first half as flowery?
You have to say what else could it mean with Ultimate, literally nothing else can be pointed there.
Arceus was more of a point that calling Dialga and Palkia substance incarnate is hard-pressed, given Arceus created them too.
I literally pointed out how they are even in profiles.
I think any neutral person can read the paragraph and reasonably interpret it similar to what I said, I mean he repeatedly mentions how he wanted to make the game focused around his idea of 'ultimate' whether it be with the GTS or storyline.
Are you now connecting the concept of Ultimate to the GTS when is clear that he wasn't reffering to it?

Though, nitpicking, I don't see in the blog an explicit mention to a universe for every single possibility, just for other possibilities. I may be missing something, but I think that to make it totally solid, we would need a statement of said universes existing for each possibility.
Zinnia statement and Dia explanation in the anime are pretty enough tbf, the whole Team Rainbow Rocket + Ultra Wormholes are enough to imply that Pokémon uses MWI in USUM, also the Reflection Cave explains pretty much by itself.

And that's not an argument.
Excellent, the first thing that we agree upon. An argument that doesn't exist is, indeed, not an argument.

Prove it then.
Already did. Fabricated, incorrectly contextualized arguments are not valid. Hence "fan fiction".
It is exactly logical when they all support the overall main point, which is something we do for literally every franchise that has a page on this site.
Not it isn't, it never is lmfao. You do understand that with this sentence you have actively advocated for the fabrication of feats, a bannable offence right? It doesn't matter if it "supports the overall point." Quite on the contrary, the only thing that that reveals is the motivation behind why someone would do this. You. Do. Not. Make. Feats. Up. Period.

It does, because the interpretation you bring conflicts with that. The verse is obviously not one large universe, it is a multiverse, so "Space expanding" very clearly means the numerical amount of universes.
No it doesn't. It's as if you haven't been listening to me at all (which, admittedly, is perfectly normal on this website). As I said, these things are not mutually exclusive. Just because Pokemon is a multiverse doesn't mean that space isn't expanding like it normally does. It's still a basic function of space to expand just like it always has been.
And I answered. You choosing to not accept is a you problem.
No you didn't. You're well aware that once you've actually answered this question your entire argument immediately falls apart.

Okay. How do you read that entire paragraph and not see how most of it is flowery and relating to how it all connects back to the theme of ultimate?
Saying something is flowery over and over again =/= its actually flowery. You should give more than overusing the word.
Even if we say that somehow the last part of the paragraph is independent from the rest, how do you not see the first half as flowery?
That first half of the paragraph is literally speaking about Dialga and Palkia being counter parts of each other, which we obviously know they are as one is time, the other is space.

How in the hell is this flowery at all?
He created them as the substance. This is simple.
Professor

Okay? What part of this is an actual counter Somebody? Its detailing what his focus for said game is, from both a mechanic standpoint and a storyline standpoint, the latter in which the upgrade is using.
Again, I'm focused on how Lucian and the TCG were used as the counterarguments in the blog for flowery language.
Because they give more support?
It's based on the rest of the paragraph, not just the substance part. The idea being if he's being hyperbolic and flowery with the rest of the paragraph, it makes little sense he would stop with the last sentence.
It makes perfect sense when his explanation of the Ultimate comes down to 2 different things. Dialga and Palkia being counterparts, and the scale of what time and space is.

And there's nothing from this that's flowery in the first place anyway. That is a copout.
That's just wordplay at this point, and it was countering your claim of how dots were being connected on this side when all the dot-connecting is being done on yours.
Giving supporting evidence to support one main point is not connecting dots. Dragging one totally unrelated point (the substance) and putting in the same boat as another (infinite time and space) is connecting dots.

You right now are the latter.
Again, the counterarguments on the blog are being used to indicate it isn't vague or flowery; the former is plausible but the latter has to come from within the paragraph itself.
Says who?
Which is still a discussion of what he considers ultimate.
Which doesn't at all counter the point of what he considers the scale of time and space in Pokemon. Which per his words is infinite.

To be honest, I have to disagree with this. It just isn't good enough evidence. You're taking bits of pieces from different mediums and stitching them together to come up with this result of infinite universes based on possibilities. Had you given a single medium that outright said that there are infinite universes then this would be acceptable.

This is like saying any verse that has a confirmed unknown amount of universes, has several statements of space and time being infinite, and has a statement of possibilities would give it possibly 2-A and I just don't buy it.

You can't say that Masuda specifically meant that Pokemon had infinite amount of universes when he said space and time are infinite. You can't say the TCG specifically meant that Pokemon had infinite amount of universes when they manufactured an Infinite Space themed deck. You can't say that Lucian specifically meant that Pokemon had infinite amount of universes when he said the stars tantalize from across infinite space. You need a statement that directly says and is specifically stating that there are infintie universes.

Also

Archie and Max's statements are idealistic and romantic. They're not talking about a literal parallels universe.

The Reflection cave is not a chain of infinite universes. There is no statement that says it is. (because if there were we wouldn't be here) and not mention the Reflection cave is finite inside, there can't be infinite portals to infinite universes. And there can also just be a closed loop of finite universes that linking back to each other.

Zinnia statement and Dia explanation in the anime are pretty enough tbf, the whole Team Rainbow Rocket + Ultra Wormholes are enough to imply that Pokémon uses MWI in USUM, also the Reflection Cave explains pretty much by itself.
I agree on that, my small problem was with the parallel worlds existing for every single possibility, not just an undefined number of them. To me it's totally possible, but I'd prefer having a precise statement on this.

No it doesn't. It's as if you haven't been listening to me at all (which, admittedly, is perfectly normal on this website). As I said, these things are not mutually exclusive. Just because Pokemon is a multiverse doesn't mean that space isn't expanding like it normally does. It's still a basic function of space to expand just like always has been.
Uhm, I'm pretty sure that we don't assume that for multiverses.

Excellent, the first thing that we agree upon. An argument that doesn't exist is, indeed, not an argument.
More like saying my argument doesn't exist isn't an argument in and of itself for you. Read better please.
Already did. Fabricated, incorrectly contextualized arguments are not valid. Hence "fan fiction".
Sorry but that's not proving anything. Saying its fan fiction aint evidence.
Not it isn't, it never is lmfao. You do understand that with this sentence you have actively advocated for the fabrication of feats, a bannable offence right? It doesn't matter if it "supports the overall point." Quite on the contrary, the only thing that that reveals is the motivation behind why someone would do this. You. Do. Not. Make. Feats. Up. Period.
And no feats are being made up here. Nothing is being fabricated, and we very much do so.

And btw, you are no room to be talking about what's bannable when your behavior in these responses by themselves are less than stellar.
No it doesn't. It's as if you haven't been listening to me at all (which, admittedly, is perfectly normal on this website). As I said, these things are not mutually exclusive. Just because Pokemon is a multiverse doesn't mean that space isn't expanding like it normally does.
It very much does mean that, because that is the only way it fits in the context of the series you are actively trying to speak about. If space expanding doesn't refer to number, then there's no multiverse, which is very very very much wrong. So what's left? It means the number of universes in said multiverse. Simple.
It's still a basic function of space to expand just like it always has been.
See above. It's not, its referring to the number of universes as explained before.
No you didn't. You're well aware that once you've actually answered this question your entire argument immediately falls apart.
I actually did, and you're well aware that once you actually accept the answer, your counter argument immediately falls.

Strym

Wordplay and not true either, you guys used these as the main counterargument for flowery language in your blog, something you insisted we read first.

Can you reword that.

Not referring to time and space, but substance itself. That would include stuff like Anti-Matter or creation, which obviously Dialga and Palkia aren't the sole representives.

... The GTS was the first thing he mentioned in regards to ultimate:

"I decided that ‘ultimate’ was the theme in the beginning. I set myself a task to pursue what was the ‘ultimate’ for Pokemon games, and started to act on this theme when making the games. When I asked myself what is ‘ultimate,’ I immediately knew I wanted to improve the level of communication, which is a core element of Pokemon games. In the games, players receive the Pokedex and start collecting Pokemon, which you need to do in order to trade with others. At the time of Ruby & Sapphire, people could trade their Pokemon with someone close by, but not with anyone overseas. I really wanted to do something about this. And that’s why I came up with the Global Trade Station (GTS). "

I didn't read all replies, so I might have missed some important post, but here's my opinion based on the blog and some of the messages.

I'm against using Masuda's statement, as to me he's referring to a single universe, and I don't like mixing his words with other concepts, as we don't really know what he meant.

BUT

As someone already said (DDM, for example, I think) if the universe is infinite (in both time and space, stated by Masuda, Lucia and the ruins, if I'm not wrong), and there are alternate universes for each possibility, consequently there have to be infinite parallel universes, as the possibilities are infinite.

Another things, doesn't the "ever-expanding" space statement contradicts it being infinite?
Samou, all of this was literally addressed in my blog already.

This is like saying any verse that has a confirmed unknown amount of universes, has several statements of space and time being infinite, and has a statement of possibilities would give it possibly 2-A and I just don't buy it.
Except that you're still ignoring context about what Space means in the verse.
The Reflection cave is not a chain of infinite universes. There is no statement that says it is. (because if there were we wouldn't be here) and not mention the Reflection cave is finite inside, there can't be infinite portals to infinite universes. And there can also just be a closed loop of finite universes that linking back to each other.
That's asking a negative. You'd have to prove how it ends, because as we say, the Reflection Cave leads to new and new universes, and Occam's Razor leads to an infinite chain.
I agree on that, my small problem was with the parallel worlds existing for every single possibility, not just an undefined number of them. To me it's totally possible, but I'd prefer having a precise statement on this.
Check better the section about the MWI, is pretty blantant.

Considering MWI by itself already has a decent chance to produce infinite timelines, this should be enough yeah IMO.

To be honest, I have to disagree with this. It just isn't good enough evidence. You're taking bits of pieces from different mediums and stitching them together to come up with this result of infinite universes based on possibilities. Had you given a single medium that outright said that there are infinite universes then this would be acceptable.
Literally when have we never been allowed to use different groups of supporting evidence from the same medium to support an upgrade? This isn't new at all.

And saying "it just isn't good enough evidence" isn't a counter argument.
Personal interpretation. Not an argument.

And this is a bad comparison when we have given actual context to explain why it refers to that.
You can't say that Masuda specifically meant that Pokemon had infinite amount of universes when he said space and time are infinite. You can't say the TCG specifically meant that Pokemon had infinite amount of universes when they manufactured an Infinite Space themed deck. You can't say that Lucian specifically meant that Pokemon had infinite amount of universes when he said the stars tantalize from across infinite space. You need a statement that directly says and is specifically stating that there are infintie universes.
And no offense, this is complete bullshit.

We don't need an outright infinite universes statement to get 2-A, we've literally never needed something that specific here and I ask that you show me where this is a case anywhere on this site.
Also

Archie and Max's statements are idealistic and romantic. They're not talking about a literal parallels universe.
Objectively wrong as the blog outright explains. What they state literally happens in the opposite game. Its not idealistic at all.
Which is unfounded speculation as the blog, once again, already explains.

Last edited:
Wordplay and not true either, you guys used these as the main counterargument for flowery language in your blog, something you insisted we read first.
A thing you failed to point how it was, as all you said was just "are we sure that is not flowery?"
Can you reword that.
Dialga and Palkia are in short accepted as being the representation of Space and Time of the Pokémon reality.
... The GTS was the first thing he mentioned in regards to ultimate:
You're like he's pointing at just that, but in the last phrase he's clearly reffering to the Pokémon reality in itself.

That's asking a negative. You'd have to prove how it ends, because as we say, the Reflection Cave leads to new and new universes, and Occam's Razor leads to an infinite chain
I'm not asking you prove something doesn't exist. The reflection cave is finite in both the anime and the games. It's a location on a finite planet. That's already proven. You have to be the one to prove it's infinite or links to infinite universes. Occam's Razor leads to a closed loop of finite universes just as well.

Except that you're still ignoring context about what Space means in the verse.

Still? This is my first statement on the matter.

I'm not asking you prove something doesn't exist. The reflection cave is finite in both the anime and the games. It's a location on a finite planet. That's already proven. You have to be the one to prove it's infinite or links to infinite universes. Occam's Razor leads to a closed loop of finite universes just as well.
Location on a finite planet doesen't remotely make sense as it links to another universe.
Also you're talking like it was stated that it ends in a loop, while nothing implied so, but instead, points more out to more and more universes without an end.

I'm not asking you prove something doesn't exist. The reflection cave is finite in both the anime and the games. It's a location on a finite planet. That's already proven.
And that's irrelevant as their doesn't need to be infinite mirrors inside one cave. The point is these mirrors in said cave are linking to infinite other caves in infinite different worlds.
You have to be the one to prove it's infinite or links to infinite universes. Occam's Razor leads to a closed loop of finite universes just as well.
No it doesn't. The point that these worlds are all different from one another goes directly against that. Its your burden of proof to prove where a closed loop is suggested anywhere.

That would include stuff like Anti-Matter or creation, which obviously Dialga and Palkia aren't the sole representives.
Anti-Matter can’t exist without space. You have a point on how Giratina would fit into this but even his distortion world would be made by Palkia if I’m not mistaken. Creation as a concept is not part of substance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back