• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What Would You Choose (D&D)

This is a question I brought up to my D&D homies over discord a while back

You get to choose ONE spell from each level in D&D that you'd get to cast in real life.
So from a cantrip onward up the levels until level 9 with the exclusion of Wish.
No spell slots or anything. You can cast the spells freely

My only engagement with D&D has been through Baldur's Gate, so my choices are gonna be heavily colored through that lens.

Cantrip: Guidance. Just a simple spell that's useful in pretty much any conceivable situation.

Level 1 Spell: Speak With Animals: I just think this one would be fun, personally.

Level 2 spell: Prayer Of Healing: Any kind of healing magic would be useful irl, so I'm just gonna go with this one. Free up the later slots for cooler stuff.

Level 3 spell: Speak With Dead: I have no idea in what circumstances I'd use this irl, but it's pretty cool.

Level 4: Freedom of Movement: Another just generally useful spell. Tripping on things is annoying. Slipping on things is annoying. Wading through a foot of water is annoying. Me personally? I don't wanna deal with all that.

Level 5: Telekinesis: Self explanatory.

Level 6: Hero's Feast: The ability to summon an entire table full of good-tasting food whenever I want is just such an awesome ability.

(had to look up level 7 and level 8 spells, Baldur's Gate doesn't have them)

Level 7: Teleport: A self-evidently useful skill to have.

Level 8: Telepathy: Another cool spell.

Level 9: True Ressurection: Because some people simply died too soon.

Cantrip: Mage Hand. Not only is it a bonus limb, imagine fighting a person and they decide to apply an unrelenting 5 pounds of force directly into your retina.

1: Find Familiar. It's a permanent entity, which you can telepathically communicate with while within 100ft, and you can see and hear through it, and you can use its senses, AND you can use it as a conduit for Touch spells. It's in the shape of any beast with CR 0. Let's list off a couple of those that are especially good. You can have a Baboon, an animal that, with the largest species, is nearly 4ft long and almost 100 pounds. You can have a bat, gaining its echolocation, and have it fly around. You can have a Cranium Rat, which is telepathic. You can have a deer, which is a big-ass fella. You can have a flying monkey, which is a monkey that flies. You can have a Giant Fire Beetle, which sheds light for a solid distance. You can have a Haungharassk, a big-ass snail that's bulky as hell and can remove curses. You can have a hyena, an animal that can hold its own against a lion. You can have an octopus, which is a deadly animal that can move through like... a person. You can have a pig, which is a big ol' bastard. You can have a scorpion, which is a scorpion. You can have a seal, and they're big too. You can have a space guppy, which can generate an air pocket.

That's not even the most serious part. You can have Chimeric animals. Chimeric baboons are venomous, Chimeric cats have tremorsense, Chimeric foxes change color depending on their surrounding to blend in, Chimeric Hares can fly, Chimeric rats have gills and scales, and Chimeric weasels emit glowing light from their eyes.

Even more significant is the Giant Fly. It doesn't have attacks, but it's a Large entity, and bulkier than a human, with enhanced strength, and very fast flight.

2: Enhance Ability. I could set up any stat before doing a specific thing.

3: Animate Dead. It funny.

4: Evard's Black Tentacles. I just think they're cool.

5: Teleportation Circle.

6: Move Earth. I'd use that to easily create housing.

7: Simulacram. I would leave them in one place for a year, then have them use Teleportation Circle every day until it was rendered permanent.

8: Animal Shapes. I would use it on my followers to turn them into birds and dinosaurs and shit, then send them out after my enemies. Or I could throw a sick party.

9: True Resurrection. I can bring back ANYONE.

Last edited:
Cantrip: Mage Hand. Not only is it a bonus limb, imagine fighting a person and they decide to apply an unrelenting 5 pounds of force directly into your retina.

1: Find Familiar. It's a permanent entity, which you can telepathically communicate with while within 100ft, and you can see and hear through it, and you can use its senses, AND you can use it as a conduit for Touch spells. It's in the shape of any beast with CR 0. Let's list off a couple of those that are especially good. You can have a Baboon, an animal that, with the largest species, is nearly 4ft long and almost 100 pounds. You can have a bat, gaining its echolocation, and have it fly around. You can have a Cranium Rat, which is telepathic. You can have a deer, which is a big-ass fella. You can have a flying monkey, which is a monkey that flies. You can have a Giant Fire Beetle, which sheds light for a solid distance. You can have a Haungharassk, a big-ass snail that's bulky as hell and can remove curses. You can have a hyena, an animal that can hold its own against a lion. You can have an octopus, which is a deadly animal that can move through like... a person. You can have a pig, which is a big ol' bastard. You can have a scorpion, which is a scorpion. You can have a seal, and they're big too. You can have a space guppy, which can generate an air pocket.

That's not even the most serious part. You can have Chimeric animals. Chimeric baboons are venomous, Chimeric cats have tremorsense, Chimeric foxes change color depending on their surrounding to blend in, Chimeric Hares can fly, Chimeric rats have gills and scales, and Chimeric weasels emit glowing light from their eyes.

Even more significant is the Giant Fly. It doesn't have attacks, but it's a Large entity, and bulkier than a human, with enhanced strength, and very fast flight.

2: Enhance Ability. I could set up any stat before doing a specific thing.

3: Animate Dead. It funny.

4: Evard's Black Tentacles. I just think they're cool.

5: Teleportation Circle.

6: Move Earth. I'd use that to easily create housing.

7: Simulacram. I would leave them in one place for a year, then have them use Teleportation Circle every day until it was rendered permanent.

8: Animal Shapes. I would use it on my followers to turn them into birds and dinosaurs and shit, then send them out after my enemies. Or I could throw a sick party.

9: Wish. There will be no weaknesses if I only use it to cast 8th level spells and lower.
Wish is specifically excluded from the choices

My own personal spell choices would be--

Cantrip: Mage Hand. Very useful to have an extra hand around

Lvl 1: Unseen Servant. My own ghost servant to do things for me like clean, fold clothes and serve food? Hells yeah

Lvl 2: Calm Emotions. Useful in stressful situations or just to fend off the random depression of yourself or others.

Lvl 3: Tongues. Understanding all spoken languages? Easy work.

Lvl 4: Dimension Door. 500ft of teleportation in any direction. Basically Night Crawler-ish

Lvl 5: Modify Memory. You saw me doing magic? Hahah-- No you didn't.

Lvl 6: Hero's Feast. I could save SO MUCH on groceries if I could just magic up good food that comes with so many added bonuses like actually healing you and curing ANY SICKNESS

Lvl 7: Resurrection. Doubt it's something I'd feel the need to use, but on the off chance someone dies a death that could have been preventable, I can bring them back.

Lvl 8: Clone. Very Orochimaru of me. But having a backup body tucked away somewhere safe that could be a younger version of myself would be pretty great. If I die, my soul automatically goes to the Clone and I'm up and running again.

Lvl 9: True Polymorph. Unlimited shapeshifting? Yes please. What's more, I can use True Polymorph on my Clone so if I die, I don't have to walk around looking like the dead person people just buried.

Last edited:
Back