• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

VSBW Profile Standards (Staff Only)

Suggs is disallowed because it's an incompressible mess, incompatible with our tiering system.

And give me some of these webcomic examples please, I'm sure they're fine. Homestuck surely is.

It is surprisingly easy to fit things into the tiering system, even if they randomly toss around omnipotence. We have a page for God-Ma. Even though I really don't want to, I'm sure I could find a comprehensible way to make profiles for the characters.

Parahumans (Verse) is an indie web novel. Paranatural is an indie webcomic. Basically look down the internet category if you want examples https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Internet

Having read parts of some chapters, they randomly go from lightspeed, to MFTL+, to infinite speed, to immeasurable, to irrelevant, one after the other. The actual cosmology doesn't seem too impossible to rate tho, but it'd be a huge headache for sure.

Yes, and we can easily disregard stuff like that. We already don't take "omnipotence" statements seriously, why can't we just disregard "greater than omnipotence" statements too? Again, I've seen passages from it and I think you could derive an actual profile from them regardless. I've heard from others that it tops out at 1-B.

But this isn't about me wanting to make profiles, it's that "it's incoherent" is a bad argument. There's some verses that are really obtuse and hard to get into, that's why we make cosmology blogs to simplify and explain things.

Also I'd appreciate input on the examples I gave.

I'm saying are any of those uncopyrighted or unendorsed material? You seem to be referring to the omnipotent tiering thing.

They're only copyrighted by their existence, just like every OC on FC/OC wiki.

I'm referring to that since that's all that you responded to before.

Are you sure about that? Because if it comes down to it, they'll just have to be delete. Though I'm sure they're not like...literally unprotected. If they're hosted on a free hosting site we have a problem, but if it's like an indie game of the PSN store, it should be fine.

Since they're a novel/comic respectively, I don't think they'll have anything like that. This is why I think that's an unsatisfactory solution to the problem

Also I think SCP gets hit by this too which sucks.

Ok look man. OCs= unpublished work so basically no licensing. I can create an OC but still dont have license to publish it in public. But yall going wild fr

Just want to say that if we really do accept this for some reason we would be deleting 1000+ profiles, I sincerely wish I were exaggerating this

It's not meant to be a universal standard. But, I dunno. I made this thread because Ant mentioned we need to get this done. But no one agrees on anything and it's honestly getting on my nerves. :T

Notoriety and copyright are two very different things. Something can be copyrighted and be known by like 2 people, and something not copyrighted can be known by a lot of people.

Hell, one of our most popular verses is public domain.

I dont think there can be a very clear and defined line seperating what is OC and what is official. The best I think we can do is if we allow verses spawning from thier own original franchise with a sizeable following. Parody characters and original characters created by anyone other than the creator (or creator entity) should be a no no, unless actually endorsed by them.

Just also want to point out that Dragon Ball GT exists.

Aight if it's not universal then we just have to specify where we apply it. But even if we just apply it to YouTube/Newgrounds it doesn't solve advertisement/toy characters and it deletes dozens of profiles that are near-universally accepted/enjoyed.

So? It's part of the DB franchise

Btw, I'm moving this back to staff only for protection as I'll be offline soon. However, Agnaa has permission to continue discussing.

Any questions or points you want to add, just post on my wall.

Don't have time to debate this as extensively as I debated on the previous thread, so tossing my hat in for Sera's arguments here.

Sera EX said:
I'm really not.
?????

I pointed out that it would end up deleting webcomics, you said "They'll just have to be deleted", and later "It's not meant to be universal", I asked you to clarify on what it would apply to if it's not universal but you never did. Are you planning on expanding on this later?

The Gamer and The God of High School are both licenced by Naver and Webtoon so I doubt so.

@Agnaa

Probably best to ignore that for now. I'll remake my argument later.

Yeah I'm against this "get rid of non-liscended stuff" argument. If something has it's own set canon, story, and characters that aren't fan fiction it should be allowed. Doesn't matter if it's a Hollywood Blockbuster, Japanese Webnovel, or Internet Stick Fighting animation.

That was not my argument in the first place.

Sera: We should allow characters from copyrighted works that have copyright protections extending beyond the most basic 'if it's your idea you own it' copyright.

Me: I think that would remove unlicensed works like webcomics

Sera: Give me examples

Me: Gives examples

Sera: Are those actually uncopyrighted?

Me: They only have the minimal copyright protections, which you said isn't enough

Sera: If that's true they'll have to be deleted, but I doubt it is, maybe they're on an indie game store.

How is me interpreting this as "delete works that don't have strong copyright protections" unfair? I don't see how you've been mischaracterized here. If the word 'license' is bad, that's because I can't think of any other word that more closely aligns with your "more copyright protections than the standard" suggestion.

EDIT: But Sera has clarified to me that she's not pushing this argument any more, and will present a different one later. The thread shouldn't get bogged down in bashing the idea of removing all unlicensed profiles.

I'll save a bit of time and repost what I said in the Newgrounds profiles thread just a moment ago, since it actually does appear to be something that can be applied to this topic in general:

"I think this should be treated as a case-by-case sort of thing.

Madness Combat, for example, has a somewhat clearly-defined canon and story (albeit one that gets absolutely ridiculous at times and wasn't exactly present in the first game), and is mostly confined to one creator from what I can remember. It's not exactly written as well as some of the other verses we have on here, but that's no reason to dismiss it.

On the other hand, works like Pico's School and its many, many, many follow-ups have no properly linear story, thousands of wildly different incarnations across several random creators (especially so once "Pico Day" became a thing), and almost no canon to speak of outside of the original Pico's School flash game. Most of the characters die multiple times across the different works they appear in with no explanation for why they're alive in later games and animations, and scaling them would be an absolute nightmare. Those kinds of characters and works should be excluded entirely.

Crossovers like Newgrounds Rumble should also be disregarded."

If a work from YouTube, Newgrounds, et cetera has a coherent story/cast of characters and establishes its canon well enough, it should be fine for us to use and index. However, if a work is impossible to manage due to linear story being relatively nonexistent, multiple conflicting incarnations of the characters existing with no indication of which ones are more canon than the next (See: Everyone from Pico's School), and/or having a general lack of regard for maintaining consistency, then we should ignore it entirely. Characters from advertisements almost always fall into the latter category, so take that however you want.

Things like high sexual content and works having their own version of Jesus are another matter entirely, though...

I also think that MrKing seems to make sense so far.

Anyway, I also think that we should keep this thread staff only and highlight it. Agnaa is honorary staff, so he can continue to comment though.

In addition, somebody should preferably copy the texts that describe our full current rules regarding this, so we get a better perspective regarding what we may need to change in them.

I would appreciate if somebody could write up summaries of the results of the preceding discussions, along with quoting our rules, so I can highlight this thread afterwards.

The previous discussions have been made irrelevant based on the argument still being "if it has a story, it's permissible". The exception is the mature verse rating stuff and that's a separate issue entirely from this ongoing debacle.

Okay. Would somebody be willing to copy-paste all of the relevant Editing Rules here, so our staff members get a good overview at least?

At any rate, I've had my nap and I'm now capable of reaffirming a stance in my more coherent manner.

@Andy

Really? And Newgrounds wouldn't be considered that? What's on there is primarily FC/OC level content. It's not official works after all.

Copyright + canon + notability/popularity most certainly works. The reason it's criticzed is because it would remove certain verses which honestly is one of those "deal with it" things Cal mentioned on Discord.

You're basically saying that if an "OC" verse from FC/OC was put on Newgrounds it all of a sudden becomes permissible. Do you see the issue here yet?

That goes against the very logic of "platform shouldn't matter" most supporters of those verses use. So that also doesn't work.

I suppose that Sera seems to make sense, but we still need practical organisation regarding this. That means displaying our current rules, criticising specific parts of them, and suggesting replacements.

Quality also works. "It's subjective" is not an argument. There are objective standards of quality in this world. Thinking "everything is subjective" is '''not''' a refined opinion or even a standard. It's intellectually dishonest.

Back