• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Vs battles wiki pet peeves

Why do I have one notification yet when I check them, they all appear as read. Am I the only one with this issue?

Here's a pet peeve, actually no, a rant. We have some ass speed standards. It's crazy how much they’ve gone down the drain.

Lightning​

This isn’t much of an issue I've seen too much, but I've seen lightning being questioned sometimes. There would be moments where X has a lightning feat but the speed of it being legit lightning would be questioned despite it being lighting. Having to prove lightning is lightning seems redundant no? But it's not as bad as...

Speed of light​

Firstly I do not like how the laser dodging page says "Therefore, lasers/light beams are only accepted as real if they meet, at a minimum, a few of these criteria:"
What does a few mean specifically? 2? 3? 4? It's never clear, and that's a small thing that’s always bothered me. However anything that’s called a laser is almost immediately disregarded. Let's look at the definition of a laser:
a device that generates an intense beam of coherent monochromatic light (or other electromagnetic radiation) by stimulated emission of photons from excited atoms or molecules. Lasers are used in drilling and cutting, alignment and guidance, and in surgery; the optical properties are exploited in holography, reading bar codes, and in recording and playing compact discs.
What's wrong with the idea of a laser being light speed by default unless proven otherwise? Even something that's called "a beam of light" (as well as being reflective) is enough for light speed, which is laughable imo.

Flight speed​

Ugh, what happened to you? The biggest problem with this is that we reversed the burden of proof on this rule. When a character flies a long distance through space, we now have to prove it scales to their reactions when it used to be the other way around. This hilariously takes a shit on a lot of massively FTL+ characters on VBW, making it super easy to downplay them.

Immeasurable speed​

I’ll try to be quick with this one. I barely know what qualifies for immeasurable speed. When you take away the most known/common way to get immeasurable speed then you probably ruined that tier. 🤷‍♂️

Honestly immeasurable speed should probably be removed. Imho, infinite speed can cover it more than fine. Infinite speed should have various meanings. But that's just me.

Honestly immeasurable speed should probably be removed. Imho, infinite speed can cover it more than fine. Infinite speed should have various meanings. But that's just me.
well infinite speed doesn't cover undefined speed at all which means immeasurable needs to stay

Lightning​

This isn’t much of an issue I've seen too much, but I've seen lightning being questioned sometimes. There would be moments where X has a lightning feat but the speed of it being legit lightning would be questioned despite it being lighting. Having to prove lightning is lightning seems redundant no?
actually I had to deal with that in a thread once but it's pretty simple, it's lightning as long as it doesn't blatantly break the rules of lightning basically

Flight speed​

Ugh, what happened to you? The biggest problem with this is that we reversed the burden of proof on this rule. When a character flies a long distance through space, we now have to prove it scales to their reactions when it used to be the other way around. This hilariously takes a shit on a lot of massively FTL+ characters on VBW, making it super easy to downplay them.
yeah it makes no sense at all, it should scale unless character comment on the obvious issue that they can't control their flight and stuff like that

Well, I mostly disagree about Zamasu's complaints about our speed standards, but this is the wrong place to argue about it.

all that effort just to be speed equalized (clearly doesn't apply to infinite and immeasurable tho).

i don't really understand immeasurable and how people get it. but I understand how it works in versus and a lot of people kinda dislike it. often being called Wanked time travel

Well, I mostly disagree about Zamasu's complaints about our speed standards, but this is the wrong place to argue about it.
Same... This wiki is the best I have seen with accuracy then any other when it comes to fictional speed but at times there might be biases that could manipulate the speed explanation that fits their own opinion by twisting the words but that's not the wiki's fault but that's what I think 🐵

When you’re trying to make a CRT and the thing your trying to revise is so Story related that it would make sense to anyone who’s read the series but mean literally nothing to someone who hasn’t. So you have to go and basically summarize the entire series before you actually scale

When you’re trying to make a CRT and the thing your trying to revise is so Story related that it would make sense to anyone who’s read the series but mean literally nothing to someone who hasn’t. So you have to go and basically summarize the entire series before you actually scale
he-is-speaking-guy-explaining-with-a-whiteboard.gif

It do be feeling like this when that happens

It only gets worse if said series is obscure and none of the staff know it

When it feels like the Staff don't understand how your obscure verse works because they start disagreeing for reasons you already explained aren't true...so you have to start explaining it again
To play devils advocate isn't the reverse true if an obscure verse is misrepresented?

If only one or two people are truly knowledgeable about a verse it makes it that much more harder for a verse to be scrutinised by both staff as well as regular members and lead to potential downplay or wank that's more difficult to spot than popular verses (since people have to rely on the good faith on a few to be honest or transparent with niche verses).

Theres also verses that haven't been officially translated or localized but that's a can of worms most prefer to avoid.

When you disprove something someone said in a vs thread about a character winning, but another person later on says that character wins fra.

Flight speed​

It's actually just a conspiracy so that Bayverse can't be MFTL.

Flight speed​

Cries in Danny Phantom

To play devils advocate isn't the reverse true if an obscure verse is misrepresented?

If only one or two people are truly knowledgeable about a verse it makes it that much more harder for a verse to be scrutinised by both staff as well as regular members and lead to potential downplay or wank that's more difficult to spot than popular verses (since people have to rely on the good faith on a few to be honest or transparent with niche verses).

Theres also verses that haven't been officially translated or localized but that's a can of worms most prefer to avoid.
Well, yes, all of that is true...but it doesn't make the situation any less frustrating when you write a CRT that's orginized into sections, has clear citations, and is deeply detailed...

...and the Staff member disagrees or starts to reject the CRT, and you literally have to quote your own post to show the part that proves them wrong.

It kinda gives off the vibe that they didn't even actually read it...

Often times preparing a CRT for obscure verse would take time to prepare just to neatly set up the foundation so I don't have to summarize the entire story in the comment if someone asked. but it really does end up being a massive Wall of Text especially on big ones that will basically revise the entire cosmology of the verse so sometimes I can't really blame Staff if they just skim through it and miss some part.

When you’re doing a tournament and the members that chose the characters that are up for battle aren’t very active

It's also happening in that one Minecraft Creative mode CRT
I pretty much just gave up on that one lol. It's more subjective than anything and It's sorta devolving into people just regurgitating the same points at each other.

Which is another pet peeve of mine, CRTs devolving into people regurgitating points at each other until one side concedes.

Back