• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

VS Battles Wiki novel

I think another thing will be to have a limit like in Darker Than Black. Like a sort of payment for using the abilities/etc. I think it will be a good idea as it will limit the more "hax/stronger" abilities making a more equalized ground and not breaking the immersion.

Zaratthustra said:
I think another thing will be to have a limit like in Darker Than Black. Like a sort of payment for using the abilities/etc. I think it will be a good idea as it will limit the more "hax/stronger" abilities making a more equalized ground and not breaking the immersion.
I've stated it, this is my logic on how to nerf/limit tier and ability shifting:

Adjustable Statistics and Powers: More OP the power, more the risk of the adjusting dials "overloading". When that happens you can be stuck in a completely random tier forever, like Tier 11 or Tier 0

That would automatically discourage the characters from just spamming hax or super high tiers, and capturing stuff like Tier 2s and Tier1s like, a super high skill task.

I dislike the concept of limiting any user based on "experience" and stuff, instead anyone can be super OP if they're smart enough to do it effectively (i.e. Having an arsenal that doesn't overload the dials)

Now this is cringy, and longer than I wanted too, sorry. Anyways, the idea is shown here, and the point is that you can use the abilities of those that you scanned.

Punching up.

Janus' breath was ragged, he had long since broken out in cold sweat, and his hands were trembling.

He was doing a stupid thing, and he knew it. He was supposed to start low. To chose a 10-B or maybe a 10-A, profile them and then use his bettered abilities to overcome better enemies.

But he was not patient enough for the slow progress something like that would mean, so his first target was a 9-B. A 9-B, one above the baseline by quiet a bit, too. He looked on, preparing for when the next scene would start, and he couldn't help but question himself.

But no, he'd do it, he had already chickened out one (or seven) times to many.

And there he was, the MC (called Alex, the name being the most unique part of him) in all of his spiky haired, "average looking" glory as he rushed out of the school in frantic search of (one of) his girlfriend(s). Janus personally thought that they were bumping out far too many of these guys, your "average guy" that just so happens to have had a super awesome past, but he was still totally relatable to all viewers, especially when he gets his 17 girl harem, but if people enjoyed it then who was he to judge?

Regardless, the MC was a 10X baseline 9-B, martial arts, high-low regen, and a limited extrasensory perception/telepathy telling him the "fighting spirit" of those around him. Said telepathy gives the MC a pause, as he looks towards a certain building.

Janus stepped forward from the building he was hiding behind, and spoke the line he had repeated to himself for weeks now.

"Hey there, wan't to make a bet?"

The MC looked at him in bewilderment, confusion written on his face.

"His fighting spirit seems that of a normal human, he couldn't be with them..."

Janus grimaced. He always hated characters that plain say what they are thinking.

"I have functional ears, you know? But no, I'm not with the "big baddy", but trust me, I'm not that normal either."

Janus pushed the button on his digital watch, and the both of them find themselves in what appeared to be a park. They were also closer, only 3 meters apart from each other, tough the MC quickly distanced himself from the unknown being, while realizing in shock that he felt no qualms about murdering his enemy.

"What?! What kind of spirit power was tha-"

"You have no idea how hard it was to get this watch. At least we get to fight as per SBA. Anyways, do you want to take my bet or not? If you win, I'll tell you where your girlfriend is, wouldn't want to have you going from one place to another to go from castle to castle searching for her, yeah? You're neither italian nor a plummer, after all."

"You know where she i-"

"Yes, that's why I just said that. The bet is you being able to keep standing after I punched you once."

The MC looked on at the stranger, and pondered on what to do. Whatever his spirit ability was, he needed to find Alice... he could think later.

"I'll take it!"

"You won't even ask me what happens if you lose..? Well, have it your way then, I guess."

And so, Janus walked up to him, put his fist to his side, and prepared to punch him. Much to the MC's surprise, the punch was raher... sloppy, lacking in speed and power alike. He felt his worries began melting as he saw that he probably didn't have much to worry about... except, the punch never reached him. It stopped in front of his face.

However, it also opened, and from it came dust into his eyes, and he couldn't help but fall to the ground, screaming in pain. He lashed out of sheer refley, and felt his hand gracing the ribs of the unknown man. But that was enough to break most of them, and to send himflying several meters back.

After a few seconds spent trying to prepare and not sound like he was crying from the sheer pain of having his ribs broken, Janus spoke again.

"Pepper, glass shards, powdered lemon... I doubt you'll be seeing for a bit after that, buddy."

The MC was about to retort, but the moment he opened his mouth, a balloon full of alcohol was thrown at it, and with it came a lighter that put his face, hair and the inside of his throat ablaze. Janus crouched down as he began talking to MC again, who was now trashing on the ground.

"Sorry about this. But you see... I really want to know what it feels like to be tier 1. But to do that, I have to work my way up from all the way down here in tier 10. And fighting dirty is the best way to win against those stronger than me. But hey, think of the nice part, a clone of you will be fighting to the death while I use your powers to capture more people and copy their powers, too."

And with that, Janus took out and fed him the healing pills, scanned, and wiped his memories. And it was with pure glee that he felt the high-low regen repair his ribs.

"Heh, this was easier than I tough it would be. Then again, I did pretty much abuse his emotional turmoil and pulled one of the the most dishonorable things one could ever do to a martial artist... eh, it's fine."

Anyways, we should be thinking more about a story than about lore.

Lore is just fleshing out the world of the story you want to tell. Get too bogged down in it and you get a lot of filler exposition with nothing that actually happens.

You should:

First, you have to get a base idea of what the story will be. Here we already have it, a real life version of the wiki.

Second, you sould decide the main parts of the story. This entails the motivations of the main character, the cause of a struggle, some form of antagonist, allies, etc.

Third, you flesh out the mechanics of the magic system. As the main appeal of this novel to be, you decide and balance how the powers work (because saying that someone can just become a random tier if they abuse their devises is... eh. Many would just willingly do it, assuming that they are 10-B normally. They would have a 9 in 11 chance to become superior to what they are currently... and supernatural luck is also a thing).

Fourth, you flesh out the world around said powers. How would people that can just gain whatever power they want be structured, how would normal users view the moderators, etc.

A few really quick exemples:

• Arena type world: The user need to buy their own abilities and tiers with points. Said points are obtained through selling abilities (making good charisma and social influencing really important in trading), or through making your "characters" fight and betting (Say, both parties bet 100 points and the winner takes all). Characters are "profiles" of a being made by the user through analyzing and archiving some beings from other worlds (fictions/verses) or beings from our own world. Here you could also make references to the wiki's structure: No human beings from our own world, the controversy about involving NSFW characters (assuming they are being made to fight like gladiators... many spectators would be scandalized by Monster Girl Quest! characters), etc.
    The struggle of the main character would be rising through the ranks of the arena, trying to use their points properly so that they can analyze more powerful characters, and thus win more, trying to only take fights they can win, etc.
  • SCP type world: Here things are less about the gladiator entratainment and more about the archiving of characters. You could even reference that time it was discussed why we even have vs matches on the wiki (and why we add them to the profiles), and how someone mentioned that it showcases how a character actually works and uses their power. This would mean that battles that people believe to give more possible info are done, and then referenced on the profiles.
    Struggle here could be about the MC wanting to archive a verse they really like, but it being too haxed/strong for them to personally do and needing the help of others, but moderators being too busy to help everyone that asks, let alone archiving an entire verse (a pain many of us know well).
  • Power Stealer type world: My above little skit, people can take the powers of those they analyze, apply it to themselves, and then analyze more people. Putting characters you analyzed against others and them winning could also come with the user being able to take an ability for themselves.
    Here the struggle could be the character wanting to become tier 1 (because who wouldn't) but being faced with immense difficulty and needing to take a lot of powers, resistances and haxes to do so.

All of these are just exemples, but still, point is that story first, lore later.

Um, so in terms of character design I've sketched alittle something, basically the "user suit". Idk, this was done casually, so don't be afraid to be critical.

VSBW Novel Design Sketch Prop-1

Eh, I don't really like the futuristic design... I prefer something akin to our real world.

Oh, so more like the tactical army look, or something else?

I initially tried a cyber-punk design, but deemed it too combat ineffective, and did a little rough-sketch for retro sci-fi and biopunk, both of which looked kinda freaky

That'll be... quite hard, considering the equipment we've established for the characters. I reckon it'll have to be a fusion of other styles then.

Idk, I'll try some sketches to see if they work with what you're looking for, otherwise maybe someone more talented may have to look into it lol

Okay I did some rough sketching for the tactical look. I'll finalize it by tomorrow (or whenever I have time).

There are some pluses and minuses with it, that I'll try to list.

• Everything looks way more powerful and complex (ironically enough), the characters look somewhat "prettier" and are far less OP than the futuristic counterparts.
  • Too bulky, so any flexible movement or even dodging looks unfeasible, along with that, stuff looks super fragile, and the army vibe makes it look slighty... dull...

Whatever the scenario, I'll be raping your belongings and stealing your women.

As for what that means, my main objective is advancing metafictional technology. That book is my latest invention for stealing materials to that end, though it's something of a failure, I will be utilising it as my primary offence.

And I'm a random girl with twintails, who has retroactive self-Resurrection (After a short time can resurrect in the same place where she placed her checkpoint [It doesn't involve time travel at all]), a dangerous Fire Manipulation, which erases any matter that it burnt, and Sound Manipulation, which can, well, manipulate sound, inc. making shockwaves. The problem is that her own flames often kill herself, and they erase air, which blocks erasing fire, as well. As for flames' attack potency, 1 cubic meter of flames proportionate to 8 cubic meter of matter. The usual power is about 7-8 cubic meters of fire per second. Has Content Moderator's and Image Helper's equipment as well.

I'm not sorry xD

Wait thats illegal
But seriously, which is the setting of the world like Ricsi said above regarding the Story (its type and how we want it to go).

Let's say that I'm Ranma-esque character. If I die as a boy, I become a girl. If I die as a girl, I become a boy.

@The God of Procrastination

So it doesn't matter to me whether you are lazy or hard-working

Back