• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Versus General Discussion Thread | New series by ONE

IMG_20230314_160148.jpg

Cover Vol 1
Saitama and Mob getting cameo's is fun. Love seeing ONE reference his works between different series. Though it's usually not that blatant.

Inb4 ONE says Mob's true full power is on par with Saitama in a future interview.

It's also interesting that Jachi is given such attention. He was the first "big boss" type character, but he didn't even have 10 pages and hasn't been seen again. I'd have expected the demon and AI that fought each other, or maybe enemies from all the different worlds in the background.

Anyway, soon we will have 5 chapters and I think we should be able to create the verse right? No idea how will the scaling go but we could start listing the relevant hax like high ranking Demons magic death aura

Versus Chapter 5 is out

Oh and here is an interview featuring ONE, Azuma and Bose:

ONE, the rare manga artist who has created hits such as "One Pan Man" and "Mob Psycho 100," has begun serializing his work in print media for the first time since his commercial debut. The name of the series is "Versus. In the monthly Shonen Sirius magazine (Kodansha), he began to draw a royal shonen manga together with Kyotaro Azuma (drawing) and bose (composition).

Versus" takes place in a world overrun by powerful enemies. The heroes boldly challenge the Demon King, but are defeated. In the midst of this, soldiers from another world appear in front of the hero Harou, a hero who has lost his right hand. With their modern equipment, they can defeat the Demon King's army! but in the short time he thought this, they too were attacked by a deformed enemy. After that, Harou and his men devise a plan to defeat the mighty enemy as various worlds come into play. ......

Comic Natalie interviewed ONE, Azuma, and bose to commemorate the release of the first volume of the manga, and asked them about how they came up with the original story, and how they drew the names and drawings for the story in which multiple worlds appear. Please enjoy the trilogy.

Interview

I realized that there is an option to "not fight normally."

─ I had the opportunity to read "Versus," and I was very enthusiastic about the series of scenes that drew me in from the very beginning. How did this work come about in the first place?

ONE: The original idea for "Versus" was something I had been working on for a while. It was something I had been thinking about even before I was approached by the editors of Sirius. There was a time when I thought about the so-called "other world" story, which has become a major genre in recent years, and if I were to create such a story, I thought of ....... I thought that the way to answer this question would be better if it were not to be depicted from the front, so I decided to carefully treat the idea of a different world from a different angle. I decided to treat the idea of another world carefully from a different angle. As a result, I came up with the idea of what would happen if several other worlds themselves were merged together and multiple apex predators swept in.
─ ─ That became the prototype for "Versus", didn't it? In the first volume, the story moves in the direction of "making natural enemies fight each other." Was this also decided at that point?

ONE: Yes, it was. First, I thought about how people would react when chaos broke out in the world. Then, when I thought of a new method that did not involve the main character having cheat abilities or fighting with great power, I realized that there was an option of "not fighting in a normal way. From there, I expanded the story.

─ ─ At that point, was there a possibility that ONE would be in charge of even the drawing?

ONE: No, I had to draw a broad worldview, so I couldn't have done it on my own. I had thought about asking someone else to do the drawing from the standpoint of being the original author, but I would have had to ask them to prepare a huge number of designs, throwing a volume that could be called reckless. I thought it would be a difficult idea to realize, but when I was approached by an editor at Sirius, I told him in a casual conversation that I had a story like this, and he liked it.
It's all in ONE's head (Azuma)

─ ─ When did you start working on the serialization of your work for Sirius?

ONE: It was probably about two or three years ago. But at that point, we had no story or anything, so we asked that we did not find a candidate for the drawing yet. First, we started to delve into the content and revise the settings in order to make the serialization more concrete. However, as the story progressed, I began to think that it might be tough for me to cut the story.

───That's when you decided to join Bose?

ONE: Around that time, Azuma-sensei's name was suggested by the editorial department. I told them not to contact any of the potential illustration teachers, but they said ....... I thought it would be possible for Azuma-sensei to be in charge of the name, but that would require a tremendous amount of work, from the scenario to the drawing. That would be tough considering Azuma-sensei's workload. That's why I asked my friend bose, who I knew was also a good name designer, to help me.

bose: I had been in contact with bose ONE for a long time, but we had never worked together on a project before. I had wanted to work with him for a long time, so I was very happy when he asked me to join him and immediately said, "If it's OK with me, I'll draw it.
─ ─ The original work that was handed over from Mr. ONE to Mr. bose is like a so-called scenario written in letters, isn't it?

bose: That's right. I had worked on a project where I turned a written original into a name before, so it was a natural choice for me to take on the project. In addition, I have read ONE's works for a long time, and I felt that they were similar to what I wanted to draw. So it was very easy for me to work on it without any difficulties.

ONE: At first, I was thinking of writing only a plot or a few lines and having bose-san expand the story. But at the beginning (of the story), I thought I had to write even the lines to get the message across, so at the moment I'm carefully writing even the detailed dialogue and direction parts, aiming for a form that will be easy to convey.

─ After that, you officially asked Azuma-san to do the drawing, didn't you? How did you feel when you first heard about it?

Kyotaro Azuma: When I was meeting with the editor to discuss another matter, he told me about an original story he had in mind (......). I only heard a brief description, but I thought it sounded very interesting. I remember being interested at the time and immediately saying, "I'll do it.

ONE: When I heard Azuma's name from the editor, I thought it would be rude to ask him when the setting had not yet been finalized, as he is a very talented artist and would be in a great demand. However, Mr. Azuma waited for a year before he asked me.

Azuma: Until "Versus" started, I was working on "THE KING OF FIGHTERS Gaiden - Origins of the Flame - Shingo, Time Slip! I'm off! was serialized in Monthly Shonen Sirius.

─ When the three of you first met, did you talk about your plans for "Versus"?

ONE: We told them what our goal was. However, we told them in a timely manner where the turning points would be, so you two may not know until the end of the story.

Azuma: That's right. I have the minutes of the meeting when we discussed the worldview setting, but the setting has not been finalized. It is all in ONE's head. That's why I am always surprised when I receive the story.

bose: I also ask ONE about every detail.

The importance of making people fall in love with the characters (ONE)

─ ─ From here, I would like to ask you about the actual writing process of "Versus," as you have worked on works that you yourself have been in charge of drawing or that have been remade by other manga artists, but this is the first time for you to work purely on an original story. Is there anything different about these cases?

ONE: For the manga that I do all the drawing work for, I have an idea in my head that is supposed to be my own design. But when I have Azuma-sensei or Yusuke Murata (who is in charge of drawing "One-Pan Man") working on the artwork, I can come up with images that I can't do myself. For example, I can create cool action scenes and characters with a sense of color, so I can do all kinds of crazy things. "Versus" is a story that requires powerful and descriptive pictures, so I thought that Azuma-sensei would be able to fully develop the concept.

─ I see. So you wrote the scenario based on your trust that Mr. Azuma would be able to do it. By the way, are there any elements that you have taken over from your past works?

ONE: One of the things I learned from past works is the importance of making people like the characters. In the past, I was not that conscious about characters being popular, but it is very important for a work to have attractive characters that can be liked by both friend and foe. Having learned this, in "Versus," I am creating a story centered on the characters. There may be a development where someone other than the main character suddenly starts moving from that character's point of view. So I hope you will pay attention to the supporting characters as well.

─ ─ I'm looking forward to seeing that development if it is drawn. ...... And how do you go about translating the scenario into a name?

bose: I'm still trying to figure it out, but when I see the scenario I receive, I first try to visualize in my mind what kind of direction I want to take. If I find a part that needs more explanation, I add descriptions or change the order. After I finished the story, I would ask ONE-san to check it.

─ Since the two of you have known each other for a long time, I think there is an advantage in being able to communicate with each other more easily. Did this benefit you in a positive way when drawing "Versus"?

bose: When I do a comic adaptation of a novel, sometimes the original author is a big name and I can't consult with him much. Compared to that, this time I was able to work out the details with ONE, so it was very easy to work with him.

ONE: As an original author, I can ask questions right away, so it's very easy for me to proceed.

The scenario was changed based on Azuma's opinion (bose).

─ ─ How did you go about designing the characters for this project? If you look closely, you can see that some of the characters are designed in a style similar to that of ONE's work.

Azuma: For the three main characters depicted on the cover of the first volume of ......, for example, I received a rough design from ONE. Other than that, I drew the other characters based on the names drawn by bose and developed my image of them. However, I wanted to convey to readers first and foremost that it was ONE's work, so I actively tried to match ONE's drawing style in my design.

─ Do you feel any difference from the original works you have worked on in the past?

Azuma: No, I don't really feel that much difference, partly because I have not yet decided how to proceed with "Versus". Since it is serialized on Sirius, deadlines come in at a regular pace every month, so I don't have time to think about anything other than making sure I meet them. I have another serialization in the works, so I am trying my best to draw as much as I can while also thinking about how it fits in with the other serializations.

─ ─ I think that you have to draw not only magic, but also modern weapons, aliens, and other science fiction-like objects, so I think that you will have to do a lot of different drawing.

Azuma: Because there are so many different worlds, there are things that I have never drawn before. I still haven't decided how to share these images with my assistants, and to be honest, I don't think I have enough time to do so. I am now in the process of having ONE and bose check the rough draft when I have finished it, and then I will start working on the finished manuscript based on their opinions.

ONE: Azuma's interpretation is also included in the rough draft, so it comes out better than if I had drawn it myself. So, although I look at the rough drafts, I don't really have anything to say.

bose: Mr. Azuma's rough sketch is really great! So I have never had to make a major correction before. ...... Oh, there was one place where the scenario was changed based on Azuma's opinion, wasn't it?

─ ─ Which scene was that?

bose: This is the scene at the end of episode 4 where the representatives of each world hold a meeting. At first, I drew the story according to ONE's plot, but then Azuma-sensei made a suggestion.

Azuma: Yes. Since this is the last part of the first volume, I wanted to make sure that the direction of the work was clear. I'm sorry for being so cheeky.

ONE:No, I felt you were right when you said that. At first, Harrow just said, "Let the enemies fight each other," and the rest of the world didn't understand what he was talking about, and the story went on. However, after one disagreement, we decided to revise the story in a direction that everyone thought was the correct way to have the enemies fight each other. This was not just the three authors, but also the editors, and we all came up with the idea together. As a result, the scene became quite impressive.

To make it a manga that is unique to ONE (bose)

─ What did you pay special attention to when drawing "Versus"?

Azuma: Since it is a paper-based manga, I can't use the element of color. Therefore, I try to make the silhouettes of the characters as different as possible, so that it is easy to distinguish at a glance which world the characters come from. Also, since there are so many characters, if you are not conscious of it, the picture can become cluttered. So, I try to make the panels as smooth as possible so that it is easy to understand who is saying what.

ONE: I want to draw the principles of the characters' actions. In "Versus," there are characters from many different worlds, each with a different culture and way of thinking. They all have different cultures and ways of thinking, and they all have different abilities, so I pay special attention to differentiating between them.

bose: In my case, I think it is important to make a manga that is unique to ONE's works, so I study his past works as I cut the storyline so that I can create what fans, including myself, want to read. In particular, I read the original version of "One-Pan Man" and try my best to create a direction that is similar to the original.

ONE: Speaking of which, there was a time before I approached bose, when the first volume was entirely the story of the current first episode. The first volume ended when Harou and his friends kept losing and were connected to another world. However, bose pointed out that this was too long, so we changed the story to the current one.

─ ─ So you have such a good idea that perhaps the process will be depicted in past episodes in the future. I am looking forward to that as well! Now that the first volume is finally on sale, please tell us about your enthusiasm for the future.

bose :I've heard about your plans for the future, but "Versus" is a work that gets more interesting the longer it continues. I myself would like to continue the story as soon as possible, so I would like to output all the fun I feel in the form of a story.

Azuma: The drawing will intensify as well, so I want to do my best to meet the monthly deadlines.

ONE: Since there are many characters and settings, I hope to draw the story without preserving the material, prioritizing fun. The first volume is just the beginning, so I hope you will enjoy it with me.

Really good read the most interesting things to me are:
-ONE finally speaks

-The three of them are working together very closely

-The story will be character focused and driven, but not only the mc as ONE seems to have learned from past mistakes in this regard (Can anyone who has read MP100 name 5 memorable side characters other than Reigen? Or someone who has read the OPM WC tell me anything interesting about the WC S-Class character wise?)

-It seems that the first chapters and the entire first volume was going to be the introduction and defeat of Hallow at the hands of Jachi, but this was changed as it was deemed too long. Maybe I'm misunderstanding or it's a translation error.

"ONE The manga that I draw is based on the premise that it will be my own style, and I have a concept in my head. But when I have Azuma-sensei and Murata Yusuke-sensei (who is in charge of drawing for One Punch Man) involved in the drawing, I can think of pictures that I can't do myself. For example, you will be able to create cool actions and sexy characters, so you can say that you can do all kinds of unreasonable things. "Versus" is a story that requires the power and descriptive power of the images, so I thought that Azuma-sensei would be able to fully develop the concept."

Google translate so probably not perfect but this gives some further confirmation to the idea many people including I had about why the feats drastically varied between WC and manga for OPM. It's simply because of the difference in what ONE and Murata can incapsulate within their drawings in terms of spectacles. ONE also saying outright that Versus requires that level of art to fully describe the strength of the characters is also very promising. Clearly ONE didn't feel that was a need in the case of Mob Psycho as ONE was never big on making a manga for it, so that could suggest Versus may surpass Mob Psycho in the future.

Back