• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Verse quality requirements (or lack thereof)

Ricsi-viragosi

VS Battles
Retired
Keeping it simple, question is if a verse has to be of a certain quality to be approved even if it meets the requirements, and if so what should be the cutoff point.

That is to say, would reoccurring grammar errors, a plot as close to objectively bad as can be, and other problems of that kind make something impossible to post.

Exemple is, obviously, Invisible Drago. For those not in the know... this is the quality of it.

Note that this is only about the quality from this prespective, and not something that allows for verses that lack prerequisites like enough logic (see suggsverse), fanfictions (unfortunately, Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way shall not be) or the likes.

Yes, we'll make this staff only if there is too much derailment or an agreement can't be reached.

I mean, the problem is that in the end, quality is subjective

Most people here dislike Invisible Dragon, but that is merely our opinion. Some people may like it, and we can't ban them from a work just because we people dislike it. From what it seems, Invisible Dragon is merely a terrible plot, not to the level of things like suggverse.

What I propose, is that we only disallow verses in which they are so bad they are barely recognizable as stories with examples being Where the Dead Go to Die or Suggverse. things in which they have actual plots should stay no matter what the quality like Invisible Dragon or Instant Death should stay

For me, I'm conflicted. I do think that things like invisible dragon are pushing it and I do feel somewhat uncomfortable with letting them on, but then putting down a proper reason for why it can't stay that doesn't make a lot of other already accepted verses null seems difficult.

I'll stay neutral, just let's not go down a slippery slope to either side of the argument.

i'm personally in favour of allowing these characters regardless of the absolute garbage quality. i mean if quality was a factor i feel like the sonic 06 profiles should get the axe too. as far as i'm concerned as long as it's an actually published work and not some dude's oc it should be allowed

I mean, that's kind of the problem with Invisible Dragon, in my opinion.

It reads like some 12 year old with a power fantasy's first fanfiction.net submission. You could probably do a cursory search on fanfiction.net and find literally thousands of works of similar quality. If the requirements to be allowed a profile on this site are simply "published, inobscure works", then wouldn't literally any fanfiction.net "series" with over a million hits or so qualify?

Well, Invisible Dragon is a parody, and has fairly high notability, so that gives it some leeway. However, I definitely think that we should have borders against poorly written fictions self-published on Wattpad and the like. We need some sort of standards after all.

Fanfiction is not published, at least not in the manner that matters. Invisible dragon is its own IP and all, some fanfiction doesn't.

Likewise there are thousands of fanfics that are of far superior quality to majority of the verses allowed on here too, despite their infamy. Quality is not the reason fanfixtion aren't allowed, and any fanfic that becomes it's own thing (see fifty shades of grey being a twilight au fanfic) can be put on the site (tough shades lacks the feats to make ant profile warranted).

I understand your point, but the justification for it was pretty bad

I think that very bad quality for works that lack notability and/or are self-published in Internet fiction archives should be a factor for exclusion, but that Invisible Dragon avoided it due to being a parody and a popular published work.

Antvasima said:
I think that very bad quality for works that lack notability and/or are self-published in Internet fiction archives should be a factor for exclusion, but that Invisible Dragon avoided it due to being a parody and a popular published work.
I'm............ not trying to be mean to Instant Death fans here. But Instant Death fits some of the requirements for a verse to be deleted

Problem is that quality is subjective, how can we determine what is, "very bad". We aren't professional critics of art and writing or literary professors

Another thing i feel should be mentioned is that I feel like once it's being sold for real money i can't justify it being counted as self published fan fictions in the same way

I'm pretty sure we already have rules that cover stuff like incomprehensible/non-existent story/plot from which you can't make characters or accurately determine feats, and random fanfiction works. Both of which don't really have anything to do with a work being bad in and of itself, just that "bad" works tend to be in one of those categories in the first place.

I don't think we need a specific rule for bad fiction, since we have other stuff covering our basis for things like these.

I agree with Ogb and Ant.

so if we can determine the plot, characters and feats regardless of the quality it's good enough for a profile. right?

We have profiles for characters who are literally just regular person with gun/knife/bat etc. Average characters rooted in realism are allowed and if the characters from foodight have fought in said movie, profiles of them are allowed.

Dienomite22 said:
We have characters who are literally just regular person with gun/knife/bat etc. Average characters rooted in realism or below are allowed.
No. You're really simplifying the requirements to the point where you've got them wrong.

Regular people with guns/knifes/bats are allowed from verses that have combat notability in other areas, or are generally focused on action/combat.

We don't allow normal people that can cook from a verse without anything notable vs-debating wise.

Agnaa
No. You're really simplifying the requirements to the point where you've got them wrong.

Regular people with guns/knifes/bats are allowed from verses that have combat notability in other areas, or are generally focused on action/combat.

We don't allow normal people that can cook from a verse without anything notable vs-debating wise.

Literally what I said. Foodfight is about living food brands that literally fight each other. Toy story but with food brands and more fighting.

Oh, you didn't explain that Foodfight was like that, but if that's the case it's probably fine then.

It's not quite "literally what you said", you just said "supernatural powers isn't a requirement" and "regular characters with 9-C weapons have profiles", that part about foodfight having fights was edited in as I responded.

Back