• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Vandalieu Stat debate - How should I evaluate those feats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DontTalkDT

A Fossil at This Point
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Bronze Supporter
Vandalieu's current stats are from a form quite some time ago and where quite casual.

Since, he has gained a few new feats which show that he should be vastly more powerful at this point in time. However, even though I believe the feats make it very clear that he should be way more powerful, they also are altogether difficult to pinpoint power wise. So I thought I would make a thread to see if anyone has good ideas.

Magical Comparisons
Vandalieu's Death Magic is by nature not very destructive, when it comes to inanimate objects. As such it is difficult to judge its power from its effects. But the novel helps us with that by telling us which things Vandalieu could do if he had mana of a different attribute:

Vandalieu currently possessed over five billion Mana. With that much Mana, he would be able to create a small sun on the world's surface with the fire attribute, freeze entire nations with the water attribute, cause lightning to rain down from the sky with the wind attribute or cause catastrophic movements in the planet's crust with the earth attribute. Even if he was only able to use the light or life attributes, he would likely be just as dangerous.
~ Chapter 180​
These feats show well, that he probably he far beyond Town level at this point, but you also see how hard they are to classify.

"Small Sun" is too unspecific to make anything of. Raining lightning from the sky entirely depends on the number. Causing catastrophic movements in the planet's crust depends on area and speed of these movements. The most promising one would be "freezing entire nations".

However, while we have a decent idea of the geography of the continent the series plays on, we have nothing that could tell us how the low end size of a country.

Shaking the Trail of Zakkart
The following feat could be relevant in two ways:

In a single instant, Vandalieu converged no-attribute Mana, uncolored by any attribute, into the tip of his finger. The pressure of the Mana ruptured the capillaries in his arm.

"It's a simple name, but I suppose I'll call this 'Hollow Cannon.'"

And then he unleashed it at the illusion.

As Eleanora and the others stared at him in disbelief from behind, the recoil from the Hollow Cannon destroyed Vandalieu's hand. The beam erased the illusion and, with overwhelming force, it buried itself in the ceiling of the Trial of Zakkart. And then it pierced through and broke the ceiling as well!

Perhaps the fact that Vandalieu was careful enough to make sure the beam wasn't pointed downwards at the floors that he still needed to clear was proof that he was still composed.

Vandalieu forcibly adjusted his crushed hand back to its original shape as he gave a satisfied nod towards the illusion that had vanished without a trace and the hole that had opened in the ceiling… and then, as he had spent all of his Mana, he collapsed onto the floor.

At that moment, the entirety of the Trial of Zakkart, which existed in a special plane of space, trembled.

"Oooh, OOOOH! OOOOOOOOOOOH!" Gufadgarn roared, his voice sounding like a scream as he desperately drew as much of his power out as he could to maintain the Dungeon.

What on earth had happened? Could it be that Alda, the god of law and fate, had forcibly descended upon the world, rushed towards the Boundary Mountain Range, kicked down the barrier and was now trying to destroy the Trial of Zakkart in exchange for a great portion of his power?

No, this enormous power had been generated from inside the Dungeon.

The owner of this tremendous power… enough to cause great damage to a Dungeon personally maintained by Gufadgarn, the evil god of labyrinths.

Among those currently inside the Dungeon, this could only be Vandalieu.

"OOH, ZAKKART! MY MASTER!"

To be able to release this amount of power with a mortal body… as expected of the one who would become the successor to Zakkart. Gufadgarn's fear of this power did not disappear, but his emotions were ruled by an excitement that pounded in his heart, even greater than that fear.

Gufadgarn felt fear at the fact that one of his own trials had caused Vandalieu to feel enough of something… enough fear and anger to unleash that much power. But to Gufadgarn, even that fear was just another thing that filled the emptiness in his heart.
~ Chapter 175​
This feat can be relevant for powerscaling and as the direct feat of shaking the entire Trial of Zakkart. Let's look at the letter first.

The Trial of Zakkart is the biggest and hardest dungeon in the world. Dungeons are basically chains of pocket dimensions connected by the stairs leading from one floor to the next. So, how big is the Trial of Zakkart?

Even for Vandalieu-sama, it has taken over two months to reach this floor. It would not be strange… no, it would be normal for other challengers to take over three months to reach this point.
~ Chapter 175​
Vandalieu took over two months to clear the entire thing and more normal challengers, which would also be superhumans, would probably take over three. That already indicates are considerably big size.

There are floors made to test the challengers ability to deal with harsh environments. For example:

Having overcome the extremely cold ice-field floor, Vandalieu's party headed from the middle floors to the lower floors, passing through an ocean floor with countless whirlpools and a precipitous mountain range floor.
~ Chapter 172​

Firstly, the first to the thirty-fifth shallowest floors were riddle floors. They encouraged challengers to display acts like those of Zakkart and the other creation-oriented champions, and imposed deadly penalties upon those who acted like Bellwood and the other combat-oriented champions.

From the thirty-sixth to the seventy-second floors in the middle, including the desert floor that Vandalieu's party had cleared to level, there were no more visible riddles that needed solving.

Each floor had a different internal layout and presented a harsh environment, and they required battles against monsters that were adapted to these environments. The ability to survive through these was tested.
~ Chapter 171​
Not large enough yet? As already said the Trial of Zakkart is the biggest dungeon. There is also a D-Rank dungeon called "Zozogante's Great Forest", which amongst others houses the entire Ghoul Nation. As the Trial of Zakkart should be bigger we see how it is easily larger than a country.

With all this we have a decent grasps on how large it is, even though not overly specific. And there is another problem with the shaking feat: How does on calculate something like that? For just some flat surface like with a country on the planet one could simply use an earthquake calc. But the Trial of Zakkart is something like a 3-D construct. How would one calculate it in this case?

Scaling to the gods
With this we get to the second interesting thing about the above feat. Vandalieu is reaching the level of gods. He has defeated multiple evil gods already, but until recently one would have thought him to be a step below major gods.

Now for one thing Gufadgarn thought initially that the phenomenon was caused by Alda using a significant potion of its power. Alda is currently the most powerful god of the universe they are in. To that comes:

Gufadgarn possessed power equivalent to one of the great gods, but back when the fragments of the Demon King were first sealed, he had not possessed much. And after the war with Vida's forces, he had created Vida's Resting Grounds and several other Dungeons, then fallen into a deep sleep from which he had only awoken a hundred years ago.
~ Chapter 178​
Gufadgarn itself has grown to the point of being on par with a great god and he needed to use all his power to prevent Vandalieu's attack from destroying the Trial of Zakkart (and currently serves as Vandalieu's servant, albeit having taken a vessel that somewhat weakens him).

With this considered one could possibly scale Vandalieu to the lower end of the great gods. This is relevant, because the major god Vida could do this:

Vida flees with the remaining gods and the races that she created, using the last of her power to raise a part of the continent's land to form the Boundary Mountain Range to prevent Alda's forces from pursuing them.
~ Timeline of events​
The Boundary Mountain Range is a giant mountain range, that prevented human armies from invading the southern part of the continent for 100,000 years (note: human armies are canonically somewhat superhuman).

Considering that, we can assume it to have several mountains that probably are easily at least 2000m high. If we accept the scaling, this is probably the feat that is easiest to quantify.

Here is a calc on that.

Hurray, a response ´╝╝´╝ê´╝¥Ôû¢´╝¥)´╝Å

I guess I will just go with that then. Just gotta get the calc approved first.

Nobody replies to threads with obscure characters, since i also make obscure characters, just helping a comrade out.

That and i have read some death mage and liked it, but that was a while ago, busy reading other things, will get back to it at some point.

DontTalkDT said:
==Magical Comparisons==
Vandalieu's Death Magic is by nature not very destructive, when it comes to inanimate objects. As such it is difficult to judge its power from its effects. But the novel helps us with that by telling us which things Vandalieu could do if he had mana of a different attribute:
With his Dead Spirit Magic that sorts of destructive power should be awailable.

Szmiit said:
With his Dead Spirit Magic that sorts of destructive power should be awailable.
I mean... probably. Not sure if Dead Spirit Magic reaches the potency of normal elemental magic with the same energy input. In any case, aside from the feat already on his profile he has not really used it for environmental destruction.

I trust DontTalkDT's sense of judgement. Some approved calculations would be best for scaling of course.

One thing that's not used much here are comparative stats. Death Mage uses its own stats system for feats like strength, defense, and magic output. Taking this into account, we ought to also be able to scale Van's power against feats of other characters for whom their numerical stats have been given.

For instance, when the character in the story named Heinz had a strength score in the mid 1,000s, he was able to actually cut off a significant portion of the top of a mountain far off on the horizon with the continued momentum of a projectile slashing attack. This is with several power-up factors and would be considered a full scale attack at that point.

Currently, Van's STR stat is in the mid 100,000s in the untranslated portions of the story, and the translation will show his stats with the next translated chapter, 193, to be just over 10,000 (so, at least X2 the strength of Heinz when he slashed the mountain top off with a shockwave attack.) There is absolutely no way Van is not mountain level even if he hasn't personally destroyed a mountain without mitigating factors.

I don't remember the slashing feat you are referencing, but cutting of a mountain top is probably far from mountain level (if it can be quantified).

We don't really use stats for multipliers, so no X2.

In general comparing characters by stats is no problem, just that all other characters also kinda lack quantifiable feats.

But due to the Vida thing he is ranked mountain level now, which will probably scale around sooner or later.

Is there anything left to do here, or should we close this?

In the last few chapters a guy with like at least 1000 times less power, and the same but more limited power set was capable of creating a wave that erases all live from continent, so...

I mean does that even count as AP? Death Hax? Also I'm using numbers from memory, I/somebody would have to look at MP comparisons at different points in time, and determine which Van can erase life from how much area. Also new data points can appear at any moment considering current situation.

WARNING: Szmiit was referring to RAW content, and I will be as well in this response.

That was a soft-targets attack. Tectonic tier stuff, from my understanding, means the actual elimination of the physical continent or continents. Therefore, the ability to wipe out every single living thing on the continent does not qualify as continental level.

(FYI: It is said from narration, voice of god in other words, that if Van used the same tactics it would wipe out all life on the entire planet.)

Have the initially suggested changes been applied here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back