• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

USS Enterprise 1701-D Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByAsura

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
The original calc is flawed as it assumes that the Stellar Core Fragment was outside of the Solar System, which it was not, and used scaling from the Saucer Section (which was largely exaggerated in that shot if you look here) rather than the size of the Enterprise itself. The new calculatio, which was accepted by a Calc Group member, scales from an actual shot of the planet and uses the full length, making the results Moon level (which works with the Photon Torpedoes) with Small Planet level deflectors.

Yukaphile has accepted this, I think, so now I just need some more input.

Which Star Trek pages would scale from this?

I think it's fine but we should get Idazmi here. Speaking of which, I'll add him to the knowledgeable members list. We could really use Aeyu - man I miss her.

I've talked about this with Idazmi and he hasn't responded.

Eh give it some time. He'll probably reply sooner or later. Honestly Spino and Yukaphile both accepted it, so I'd say it works. Especially, as that's canonically pretty much the penultimate feat for the Enterprise-D in terms of energy output (if I remember correctly they even turned off life support to give more power) It also works as the resultant deflector calc is still above the photon torpedo AP, so no contradiction there with one-shotting a ship.

Right sorry typo lemme get that. Also, what do you think? I'd like as many opinions on this as possible especially Idazmi's b/c I lean towards the weaker interpretations of Star Trek.

Sorry I didn't resond yesterday. I'll ask a few staff members.

ByAsura said:
I've talked about this with Idazmi and he hasn't responded.
Only because I wasn't constantly watching the site: I usually check in every few days or so. I think your recalculation is more accurate, and in more ways than you mentioned: when you look very closely at the old scaling and compare it to your scaling, you can see that the old scaling image incorrectly marks the perimeter of the stellar fragment, resulting in a much larger object than we actually see. I'm sure that had far more effect on the calculation than the scaling of the saucer did. Your calc is more accurate, and makes more sense with the relationship between phasers and torpedoes that we see in the series overall.

ByAsura said:
Yukaphile has accepted this, I think, so now I just need some more input.
At the risk of sounding bias, after what I saw in this thread, I honestly don't think Yukaphile's opinion of the feat - or any Star Trek feat - should be taken into consideration. His posts speak volumes: at one point, he tried to "compromise" starship phasers to 8-C minimum and 6-B maximum... despite multiple unambiguous moon-level feats being thrown around, and common hand weapons being able to exceed his given minimum. Whenever he was called out on this, he shifted the goalposts. Judging by the content of his very first reply in the thread you linked, this attitude hasn't changed.

As I said in that thread: "I have no problem with (the stellar fragment feat) being recalculated if that proves to be necessary." And here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back