• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unofficial Powers and Abilities Addition Thread (There is a continuation)

Anyway, a conclusion on redundancy seemed to have been reached on the thread regarding the Redundancy Rule, so not sure why we're suddenly going back on that now....

Once again, redundancy is everywhere in this wiki already

It is true for an older abilities, it doesn't mean that we should used this fact as excused to redundant abilities. Some redundant abilities like smite and one hit kill have been removed in fact. Many others redundant abilities have been deleted.

Yes, but that is also because Smite and One Hit Kill were too vaguely defined in addition to that, as well as lack of notability. These arguments were addressed a very long time ago,

Yobo Blue said:
Andytrenom said:
Except this isn't a power, this is just a form of intelligence.
This was literally the first argument debunked back when this rule was addressed
It associated with Intelligence if not supernatural-based. People with psychological knowledges tends to similar feats all the times like those dealing hostile negotiations.

Also, usually, it is CIS that causes a smart character to change.

The intelligence arguments doesn't looks debunked to me.

This was literally the first argument debunked back when this rule was addressed

The redundancy rule? Where exactly?

This was the general guideline everyone agreed with on the thread, so if you take issue with it you should do it there

@Yobo Yes I participated and even went back to it for reference and I do not see where this "debunk" is.

Skills are also a part of intelligence, yet there's pages for various skills like Martial Arts and Weapon Mastery. Many profiles even have intelligence descriptions along the likes of "skilled martial artist" and the like.

As far as I know skills like martials arts and driving have to do with both mind and body due to things like muscle memory. Also just being good at fighting isn't really associated with smartness, having a strategic mind, being able to read an opponent and being able to think on your feet are. Stealth mastery may be different tho.

Overall they are not purely intelligence like persuasion is.

Wokistan said:
Intelligence is supposed to be an explanation. Files that just say "high" with no further context or explanation aren't really using the stat right, since it's such a fluid definition. Explaining the persuasiveness of a character would be a perfect fit for giving them an impressive rating in emotional intelligence or something.
Just like preparation or martial arts is an ability, specific and potent applications of intelligence and skill can be powers in and of themselves. Characters like Medaka have their persuasion so good that, even tho it isn't empathic manipulation in the convensional sense, she can still essentially incapacitate enemies by making them not want to fight by her words alone.

Iapitus The Impaler, unlike preparation or martial arts, persuasion is based only on Intelligence, some may say it's is based on Emotional Intelligence but I disgress. This ability addition looks redundant, to me.

No, you can be ******* stupid and still be eloquent. How good you can read people or communicate is not intelligence, unless you forcibly modify the definition of intelligence

I'm against the ability being made. Speaking well isn't a power. If this becomes a thing we may as well add Plumbing to Mario's page since who knows, maybe that'll be a wincon someday.

Mr. Bambu said:
I'm against the ability being made. Speaking well isn't a power. If this becomes a thing we may as well add Plumbing to Mario's page since who knows, maybe that'll be a wincon someday.
It may not be a super power, but it is definitely a power. Go look at Saber Caesar and tell me the ability to incapacitate your enemy with words alone isn't a notable power, or Medaka who can defeat enemies by bringing them to her side.

Oh, sure, plenty of people can do that. Talk at your enemies and make them allies. We call that Mind Manipulation. Speaking eloquently is not an ability in my eyes, though. It just isn't.

Emotional intelligence is a thing and already a distinction made by people outside vsbw. Besides, we already put combat skill feats in that same section, and look at dudes like Goku. It's not strictly conventional intelligence.

If plenty of people have this ability, then it should have a page for it. But it isn't mind manipulation any more than me telling someone to go **** themselves and making them feel bad is empathic manipulation. These abilities in their extreme can create such a difference that it is definitely worth noting as a power. That is what this is, an indexing wiki. If this is an ability common enough than and potent enough, even if it is not what would be called a conventional super power, then it should be noted on profiles. If martial arts is an ability, then borderline super human eloquence is an ability.

Put it like this, anyone can bribe someone. Bribing or paying someone off isn't a power. But then you have people like The Guy or The CEO from Suites who can literally spend money to instantly win a fight even in literal fights to the death, or the Merchant class from Bravely Default who can spend a varying amount of currency to an enemy to end any battle peacefully even against Eldritch Abominations, Berserking Mindless Dragons, Bloodlusted Murderers, Sharks, Demons, Fungi, Malevolent Spirits, and more. This extreme version of an ability is notable, and thus would be on profiles as a notable ability, even tho simply paying someone off would not be. It should be the same with eloquence

The CEO is literally paying them money to win and stop fighting.

Eloquence and Persuasion is something most people can do in real-life and better with training with psychological training; the ability is basic for people in social situations.

It so do not feel like a P&A because it is not superhuman ability. This ability completely fit in the intelligence section.

The bribery thing is dependent on what the opponent is willing to go for. With that bravely default example it just means the enemies are sellouts, not that there's some sort of special compulsion to accept.

Yes, but he can also pay them money in a fight to the death where they literally drop dead after.

Something does not have to be superhuman for it to go in P&A, Martial Arts and Prep for example. When you are good enough at talking/communicating, past the point that anyone is real life would reasonably be, then it can go in powers and abilities. Its a skill, but that does not disqualify it.

But its not intelligence. You can be ******* stupid and still be good at talking to people, just like you can be a great martial artist and be dumb or be good at using prep time but not necesarilly be all that conventionally smart. Eloquence does not fit on the conventional metrics for intelligence.

Jerome from Suites is literally so bad at talking that there is a chance that anyone he talks to in battle will drop dead instantly. If you can be bad enough at talking for it to be an ability, then being amazing at talking to the point that you can incapacitate enemies is also an ability

combat skill also isn't really the same as normal intelligence either (look at goku) and yet it still goes there.

Wokistan said:
Death manip then
This isn't why I don't think it needs to be a thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_intelligence

Again, this is just death manip.
Nah, it didn't cause death, but by the consequences of that one act they died. I was illustrating the absoluteness of the bribery

If someone is emotionally intelligent, even tho I do not think it fits within our usually definition of, that you can incapacitate someone with it, then that should be a power

It's only death manip in the same way that using electricity to destroy the brain signals in someone's brain is mind manipulation.

The problem is unlike other sub powers this only differentiates from the source power in what body part has to be used. And it's a huge stretch to even call that a differentiation.

Back