• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Unofficial Powers and Abilities Addition Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrain manipulation, and environment manipulation, yup!!! Just less haxy on the environment manipulation less "ultimate control over all aspects."

It's only a sub-Power in the sense that using environment manip can cause terrain manip. Nature manip and environment manip both imply that they only affect nature, and can't be used for stuff like controlling buildings and towns.

Law Manipulation would be if there's no any other elaboration on the power (typical "you do X and Y happens"). But it could be the same Neptunia issue and you just letting details aside.

Let's take Gaunter O'Dimm for example. He grants wishes to people but under certain conditions. Professor Shakeslock of Oxenfurt University studied a great deal about the dark arts, black magic etc and managed to find info on beating Gaunter. However, that info came at a price. There was a runic magic circle where the Professor sat. If he came out of it, he would die immediately. After telling Geralt about the way, he slips on a wine bottle on the floor and falls out of the circle, breaking his neck and dying.

If it's setting up a rule for learning the knowledge, without any further explanation, then I think that would be law manipulation. It could also be causality manipulation depending on how it's handled: the cause of "exiting the circle" leads to the effect of "dying". That situation sounds more like law manipulation that alters causality/fate/probability/something to lead to someone's death, since a rule causes a situation where you will die to arise, rather than just causing you to die.

I got maybe one.

What about Pacify as an ability. The ability people have to pacify targets into not wanting combat. I know several characters who posses such an ability. And actually can be extremely useful in combat and offer another win potential in fights. Simply by removing their want to fight characters such as Frisk who has such a high skill they seemingly know the exact things they have to do with certain characters to pacify them. And seems fairly separate enough to be its own ability

It fits under those yea. But Pacify is a more specific version to say. Like how Reality Warping can be a type of Magic and could fit under there. But we keep diffeent pages of them. Since reality warping is a very specific version

I don't think Frisk is the best example since he/she basically dodge all attacks until the monsters gave up where they eventually become his/her friend from his/her mercy.

Pacify definition sounds too broad. Based on my understanding of Undertale at best the ability is Social Influencing. I am not even sure Frisk's mercy is enough for Social Influencing.

Well frisk does have to pull off actions and such to pacify them. It isn't like they are just consistently mercy playing. They have to preform certain actions and other stuff in order to put them in a state where mercy is an option. But maybe frisk wasn't the best example. Just the first one I linked with pacify in my head.

I'd say Frisk is a good example, and I have to ask based on your comment, but have you played Undertale Elizhaa, cause it really doesn't sound like you have. Most enemies of Frisk's have to be pacified by getting them into a good mood and becoming friends with them, just dodging endlessly is something that almost never works aside from in a couple boss fights.

Frisk might be able to qualify for social influencing, since he/she's able to easily figure out how to become friends with the enemy and/or make them give up on fighting.

Regardless to that. I do believe a Pacify page would be a good page. Since it's a specific skill and can be very useful in combat. It can even offer a way someone who may not win physically could still take the fight by ending it with words.

Buttersamuri said:
It fits under those yea. But Pacify is a more specific version to say. Like how Reality Warping can be a type of Magic and could fit under there. But we keep diffeent pages of them. Since reality warping is a very specific versio
The difference is that this would be a very minor subcategory. Subcategories of other powers are only ade if they are notable.

Empathic Manipulation and Social Influencing are already plently specific and for the most part serve the same effect and would have the same resistance.

Welp, Peace Manipulation could be related to Empathy Manipulation, but the first one could be a little more complicated. Its like a mixture of Empathic Manipulation (Serenity) and Order Manipulation.

With Social Influencing one (if good enough) could obtain "peace", but in an indirect way by convincing opposite bands in a war/conflict (and yet it wouldn't be truly peace, but rather cessation).

Not disagree at least, as long it do not make it sounds similar to Empathic Manipulation it should be good. Gotta wait for other's opinion too.

What do we currently put if a character has a Photographic Memory?

I brought that up earlier to. Was told it lays under intelligence. Tho I personally think Photographic memory should get its own pages considering you don't really have to be smart per say to pull this off. A photographic memory had varied through intellects. Geniuses have had it. Above average has had it. Average has had it. And I don't doubt Below average has had it.

I actually do think photographic memory can qualify as an ability. It's not strictly intelligence anyway

Peace manipulation as said above, could be relate to Empathy Manipulation, but the first one could be a little more complicated. Its like a mixture of Empathic Manipulation (Serenity) and Order Manipulation.

Buttersamuri said:
Peace manipulation as said above, could be relate to Empathy Manipulation, but the first one could be a little more complicated. Its like a mixture of Empathic Manipulation (Serenity) and Order Manipulation.
I mean this ability sounds super redundant because of Empathic Manipulation already exists.

Order Manipulation is almost always used in the context of Law Manipulation/Reality Warping not Empathy Manipulation. In fact, this is the first time I heard Order Manipulation relating to Empathic Manipulation.

Law Manipulation is generally related to Causality Manipulation, several powers can be considered a mix of others, and everything is related to Reality Warping.

Didn't say they were related, just that a Peace manipulation would be the combination of both powers, a little of both (In whose case, an hypotetical War Manipulation would be like a mix of Chaos Manipulation and Empathic Manipulation [Rage/Violence]).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back