• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Two aliens try to eat Small Town, USA (Grace Finished)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meosos said:
I just remember that the xenomorphs skin is silicon based, not every cell...
The internal organs of Xenomorphs most likely possess some carbon-based aspects as they are more organic in nature. Nevertheless, not only would their silicon-based exoskeleton most likely provide an excellent barrier against the thing, but their acidic blood should neutralize them. The internal environment of an Xenomorph would be too hostile for the thing to assimilate.

It was already made clear the thing can't just infect anything containing DNA. They can't infect plants which are even carbon-based lifeforms. The thing's assimilation is limited to carbon-based animalians thus far. Assimilating an Xenomorph is very unlikely to occur here.

They can effectively end the thing with acid. All Xenomorphs can use their acid offensively by spitting acid and weaponizing their wounds. Eating away the thing shouldn't be an issue for them either considering their internal organs are saturated with such acid as well.

560165 said:
Meosos said:
I just remember that the xenomorphs skin is silicon based, not every cell...
The internal organs of Xenomorphs most likely possess some carbon-based aspects as they are more organic in nature. Nevertheless, not only would their silicon-based exoskeleton most likely provide an excellent barrier against the thing, but their acidic blood should neutralize them. The internal environment of an Xenomorph would be too hostile for the thing to assimilate.
It was already made clear the thing can't just infect anything containing DNA. They can't infect plants which are even carbon-based lifeforms. The thing's assimilation is limited to carbon-based animalians thus far. Assimilating an Xenomorph is very unlikely to occur here.

They can effectively end the thing with acid. All Xenomorphs can use their acid offensively by spitting acid and weaponizing their wounds. Eating away the thing shouldn't be an issue for them either considering their internal organs are saturated with such acid as well.
Ok, point given ;D But that still wont change much.

The Thing was estimated to assimilate the entire world population of 1982 (ca. 4,612,000,000 ) in 27,000 hours, which makes 170,814 people every hour (assuming linear growth and ignoring population density as well as other factors) and OP gave a population of 1.148. Before the Xenomorphs even have a handful of drones, the Thing has assimilated the entire town. From this point on it wins.

assuming linear growth

This will not be linear, I can assure you of that. Take a look at any population graph. The Thing's growth is gonna be exponential.

Meosos said:
Ok, point given ;D But that still wont change much...
So overwhelming the Xenomorphs with superior numbers is how you figure the Thing wins.

I'm skeptical considering how sluggish the Thing is compared to the Xenomorphs. The molecular-cutting weapons (claws, tail tip, teeth) of Xenomorphs can shred it apart with ease and then finish it off with acid. Xenomorphs can take great advantage of their stealth, especially burrowing against it.

I still have yet to see the Thing has what it takes to injure and end a Drone, let alone a Queen.

The Thing being sluggish is really only in the first movie. In the prequel and other comics, the Thing is clearly portrayed as superhuman

Ok, since we are running in circels I present all the arguments at once:

- The Thing reproduces significant faster (it assimilates through physical contact and is capable of acting independendtly on the microscopic level), infecting the entire town and every other insect or animal in an hour or less, while the the Xenos only have one drone to abduct humans. The entire Xeno reproductive cycle (abducting, impregnation, growing) takes far too much time. Which means that in about an hour we have the entire assimilated town + animals against a few Xenos.

- As soon as the Thing spreads itself over the entire area, there is no way of destroying it completly for the Xenos since there will always be particels/cells of it left. Especially if it infects the water or any animals that can fly. Unless the Xenos can destroy the entire bioshere, it has always a possibility of coming back.

- The Thing has shown great intelligence (framing other people and taking countermeasure, like sabotaging the helicopters, to insure his stealth, building a damn spaceship, ...). It will take countermeasure the moment it finds out the Xenos exist. Mobilizing the uninfected against the Xenos, using rats or other animals to find and infect the Queens eggs, ...

- Its ability to mimic other lifeforms, can give it an advantage in a fight against a drone. Appearing as a normal human until the Xeno comes closer and the Thing spreads all its tentacles and claws.

- With enough body mass it could grow as big and strong as a queen, or even bigger.

- There is the possibility of assimilating the Xenos: infecting the eggs via rats or insects, assimilating a chestbuster via already assimilated humans, perhabs assimilating drones in a fight.

Let me present all the arguments for the Xeno side, then.

- Xenos are, at their base, stronger and faster than the Thing. Physically, they are superior to the Thing in almost every way.

- The idea that Xenos cannot be assimilated has merit. I doubt highly that full Xenos or Chestbursters could be assimilated due to their silicon skin

- Xeno evolutions like the Spitter could provide a serious impediment to the Thing. Also, Facehuggers have been shown to use their pressurised acidic blood as an offensive tool.

- Surprise attacks on the Xenos will only work once. The Queen has a hive-mind-like control over her subjects, and once she realises that some of the humans are not what they seem, she is sure to attempt a new strategy

Alright, before I go through and painstakingly count the votes, does anyone want to change or clairify who their voting for?

All in all, I vote for the Thing. The Xenos simply have no way to put it down, their teeth and claws cannot slice through individual cells. As long as there is biomatter in the vicinity, the Thing can keep coming back.

Although the Chestbursters and Xenomorphs are immune to assimilation, the Ovomorphs (the egg) and the Facehuggers are not. And those two are the most vulnerable points of a Xeno's life cycle. And the Chestburster can easily be killed without assimilation. Just step on it. Plus, the Thingified humans would likely have access to weapons, what self-respecting American town wouldn't?

Finally, the Spitter evolution is rare. So rare that, while that type of Xeno would pose the mother of all problems to the Thing, it is not common. I do not believe that the Queen could create enough Spitters to counter the Thing's inexorable advance.

1. Necro of the highest order.

2. Read the thread. We knew about the Thing's acid weakness. Upon assimilation, the Thing gains a resistance to it's own blood. This thread is literally proof that the lolacidblood technique won't work on the Thing against a Xeno.

Crimson Azoth said:
One thing that the Xenos cannot do, is slice THROUGH FREAKING MOLOCULES!!!!
Well since I´ve returned just as this thread resurrects, I´ll adress your claim.

Ok, perhaps it´s never been specifically stated their natural blades are molecular-cutting. Nevertheless, they certainly are portrayed to be at least damn near considering they have:

-countered Yautja blade edges (which are stated to possess molecular-cutting properties) without recieving any damage upon their natural blades

-slice through Yautja armor, Colonial Marine shelters able to withstand battleship barrages, their Queen´s own highly durable hide, etc...

So I figure the Xenomorphs should have no issues shredding apart the things and finish them off with acidic blood/spit.

It should also be mentioned that all Xenomorphs are exceptional burrowers, especially in the EU and regardless of their caste/strain. They can take great advantage of such a talent against the things, pull and drag them beneath the ground and have them dispatched one by one, take instant cover from attacks, or casually retreat.

I thought we alreadd agreed assimilating Xenomorphs is out of the equation, so now why do you figure the thing will develop sufficient resistance against the acid?

I noticed weapons were indirectly confirmed and taken into consideration for team thing. Even so, I doubt the town´s arsenal is mostly, let alone entirely military grade weaponry as someone suggested here. I´d imagine handguns, civilian-appropriate shotguns and rifles much more likely as the staple arnaments. The Xenomorphs´ durability, Regenerationn, and agility render such weaponry more suited and available to civilians useless.

1. While the Xenomorphs can counter Predator blades, which possess molecular-cutting properties, that does not give their natural blades the same properties. And being able to break through those things that you listed just makes them really powerful. The Thing isn't durable. That's not it's gimmick.

2. Xenos do not utilise their acid blood against the enemy. They have never done that. The only Xeno evolution that can do that is a Spitter, which is 1. really rare 2. never found except on the planet where the first AvP game happens.

3. Going into close combat with a Xeno will mean that the Thing gets torn apart. Then it just reforms. The Xeno needs to rip apart each and every cell to kill it, and it can not do that.

4. Assuming that the Thing actually cares about a shotgun.

Without the ability to rip apart cells, the Xeno is screwed to the highest order. The Thing's rate of reproduction is mind-blowingly faster than the Xeno's. By the time that the Xenos have harvested one or two people, the Thing has already assimilated half the town. They are badly outnumbered, and the Thing can simply wage war on them by storming the hive. Someone mentioned the Thing Voltroning into a giant creature and stepping on the Queen, which would definately work.

These posts are all necroing a thread that finished 2 months ago. These points should have been made during the thread, or at the very latest, during Grace Period. Necroing is against the rules, no matter who did it. I'm getting a discussion mod to close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back