• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Tier For (Somehow) Destroying a Black Hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dekoshu said:
Ha ha ha! What was that? That was funny. That last quote was so hiliarious.
That last line is pretty much the logic the majority of fiction writers, including myself, operate on by default.

"My story, my rules. I can ignore reality as much as I want for the sake of my story under the Artistic License."

Sometimes funny, sometimes cool, sometimes scary, and sometimes immersion breaking.

I'm learning to find better substitutes for funny and cool things that don't make the reader feel insulted or think that I just don't care.

Angry Dummy said:
Dekoshu said:
Ha ha ha! What was that? That was funny. That last quote was so hiliarious.
That last line is pretty much the logic the majority of fiction writers, including myself, operate on by default.
"My story, my rules. I can ignore reality as much as I want for the sake of my story under the Artistic License."

Sometimes funny, sometimes cool, sometimes scary, and sometimes immersion breaking.

I'm learning to find better substitutes for funny and cool things that don't make the reader feel insulted or think that I just don't care.
You know what, I will make my character split a blackhole in half and say that "Your silly maths still don't even understand how they work, they overcomplicate things like this, when in reality it's not that hard" and I'm talking about his Ki Manipulation, which can make you do things like screaming hard enough to open dimensional portals (Buu and Gotenks did it) or create universe erasing reverse shockwaves by brofisting (Goku and Beerus did it) and destroying energy (Beerus) because why not, a character mocking these things by their unability to explain things sometimes seems funny to me.

Alexcar3000 said:
-insert text here
Math is never faulty nor is it overcomplicated. Reality doesn't get to decide how math works. Even if someone just lolsplits a black hole math works either way and isn't false. Physics may make errors though :p

(^ absolutely neutral assessment not influenced by studying math at all)

the truth is math can make strong assertions

bt in the end, its the physics models and theories born out of the data that validates the math if it has to be used in physics

(not including the math used for economics)

The Living Tribunal1 said:
shortened

You are talking about impure math. Math in and of itself doesn't even try to describe reality, hence one can not disprove it through practical experiments.

Physics uses math and what it can do is choose between certain mathematical models and use them in their description of reality. If there is no fitting mathematical model for their theorys it won't mean the error lies in math though. In such a case the physical theory would be the faulty one (or the mathematical model fitting to it hasn't been found yet). Point is physics can never disprove math, but math can disprove physics.

Basically math can make strong assertions, but only about itself. Pure math is mostly useless, but at the same time untouchable by reality.

DontTalk said:
*one of the triple post*
yes yes, i knwo , i thot u were talking about pure math that works only on logic and reasoning and not on natural restrictions

ofc physics need pplied math level computational stuff to work (one of the reasons i like physics)

but you gotta admit, dem mathematicians are smart AF (coming from a first year physics student)

Well, I would hope everyone that succsessfully studied a science has some basic smartness. Mathematicians do have them, if they are not occupied with being confused about a donut not being a coffee mug.

DontTalk said:
Yeah, I was about to say physics, because my characters use math for calculating their things, and it is like you said, how they use it, by means that modern science still struggle to explain, and he lolspliting the blackhole is the same as he just walking outside of the Universe, the same way you simply walk through a door inside a house... they have their own science things and do use math, but in a way that is just impossible for modern science to explain. Basically "Ki Physics" lol, like what amount of Ki blast does it take or the Earth to go boom? or silly things like that, they have a Tier listing too, with "Level caps" and just ignoring the "laws of the Universe" is some of them, like the level cap for going beyond light speed which breaks relativistic equations.

DontTalk said:
Well, I would hope everyone that succsessfully studied a science has some basic smartness. Mathematicians do have them, if they are not occupied with being confused about a donut not being a coffee mug.
  • in nappa's voice* i get it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back