• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

There should be a real-world profile for the F-15

It's 1 of the most iconic fighter jets in history, it definitely deserves a profile.

Here is what I think it should be like-

Tier/AP- 9-B to 9-A with Machine Gun & A2A missiles. Up to 8C with Conventional bombs. 8A to High 7-C with B61. Up to Low 7-B with B83.

Durability- Small building level (collided with an A4 Skyhawk in mid-air & had 1 of its wings blown off but could continue flying, is designed to withstand shockwaves generated by the Nuclear bombs it drops

Speed- Transonic-Supersonic cruising speed with Supersonic+ Top Speed & Trisonic diving speed & Hypersonic+ Attack speed (It's fastest missile travels at Mach 19.55)

Range- 1000+ km with JASSM-ER. 5500 km ferry range. Service ceiling of 65000 feet (though can achieve 100000+ feet with Ballistic flight paths) Has downed a satellite in low earth orbit (1.82 million feet).

While I am a massive fanboy of the F15 (And My profile shows), you should put this in the profile addition thread.

And you can make it yourself. You seem to have it well.

Gargoyle One said:
While I am a massive fanboy of the F15 (And My profile shows), you should put this in the profile addition thread.

And you can make it yourself. You seem to have it well.
I'm making the profile right now & it turns out I massively underestimated the f-15 !

Fixed it up a bit to match the formatting in the F/A-18 hornet.

Electronic warfare can be noted in the plane's arsenal, but it's not really used to down enemy targets by itself, so I got rid of the "Ignores durability with electronic warfare" part.

Removed the striking strength, a fighter ain't going to ram an opponent to kill them, especially one as valuable as an F-15, that's a waste of money.

The lightspeed stuff may be planned, but it hasnt actually happened yet. So I removed that.

Fllflourine said:
Fixed it up a bit to match the formatting in the F/A-18 hornet.

Electronic warfare can be noted in the plane's arsenal, but it's not really used to down enemy targets by itself, so I got rid of the "Ignores durability with electronic warfare" part.

Removed the striking strength, a fighter ain't going to ram an opponent to kill them, especially one as valuable as an F-15, that's a waste of money.

The lightspeed stuff may be planned, but it hasnt actually happened yet. So I removed that.
I fixed a few spelling mistakes & revised a few things, please check.

The supercruise speeds seem fine. This source also says this:

In fact the power of the 229 engine is such that an F-15E flying in a clean configuration (i.e. no external ordnance and pods) and without CFT's can even reach supersonic speed without using afterburner. This is called 'supercruise' ability, a term that was introduced with reference to the ultramodern F-22 Raptor!
~ F-15e.info​
Although key here is clean configuration.

For durability:

Practically, it can take as little as wall level energy (From stuff like autocannon fire) to take down fighters like the F-15 and have them come crashing down. It depends on where it hits. Although to completely destroy one, you will need much higher than merely wall level energy.

The F-15 that landed with its wing blown off was damaged pretty badly, but I had calculated the yields of modern AAMs like AIM-9X to actually be in Small Building range rather than Wall. They contain 7.9 lbs (3.58337972 kilograms) of PBXN-3 (Ctrl-F PBXN-3), which is comprised of 85% RDX, with a RE factor of 1.60, which is the equivalent of 5.73340755 kg of TNT or 26.44 megajoules. Where does McDonnel-Douglas' claim that it can fly with both wings blown off come from? I'd rather go with what actually happened rather than just theory.

Also, where did you get 362.051 megajoules of KE from?

@Fliflourine:

I calced it based on the mass of an A-4 & it's cruise speed/ sea level top speed.

& In fact, the A-4 would have to have been going very slow indeed to not possess small building level KE. Below its stall speed in fact, according to my calculations.

LordWhis said:
@Fliflourine:
I calced it based on the mass of an A-4 & it's cruise speed/ sea level top speed.

& In fact, the A-4 would have to have been going very slow indeed to not possess small building level KE. Below its stall speed in fact, according to my calculations.
The problem here is that the kinetic energy is only being transferred to the wing. To gain the proper KE that the F-15 was affected by, you would need to get that KE, and find the surface area ratio of the horizontal end of the F-15's wing and the surface area of the A-4 (Something like KE of A-4/surface area of A-4 = energy transferred to F-15 wing/F-15 wing surface area). To get the horizontal end of the wings' surface area, you get its thickness and multiply that by the wing's length.

If the KE was being transferred to say, the fuselage, there wouldn't be a 1-wing F-15 soft landing; there would just be two ejected pilots and two destroyed planes, or two dead pilots and two mid-air kabooms. Let alone, that the F-15 was badly damaged and was going to crash if not for the pilot's skills and the F-15's robust engineering.

Although it is safe to say that it does not have a (practical) durability in that range. Small Building is when you enter the territory of tanks, houses, and small naval ships. I have calculated previously that Kinetic-Energy rounds from tanks are only in the Wall level range up until modern armor like the M1 Abrams, and I am highly skeptical that an F-15 can survive one of those. Fighters... don't have armor. Their gist is that they're not hit in the first place because of their speed, ability to fly, and other forms of countermeasure like chaff. Armor that would be enough to tank AAMs are simply too heavy.

Although here, I consider practical durability to be the maximum the F-15 can take before it can no longer fly. Total destruction of it is another story.

Back