• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS!!!!

Phasma's past is covered in the Phasma novel and comics. She is one bloody scary lady. Oh boy...

But Snoke? Yeah, huge disappointment he was.

agreed snoke was a dissapointment and finn...he should have gone full kamikaze instead of being saved tbh. But yes i was hoping luke was a bit more well...luke but at least he was savage at times :^)

I haven't seen the film yet but judging from the other comments I knew it would completly defecate on the Legends canon when it came to Luke,what a shame -_-

I'm fine with snoke, I didn't want another emperor

as for Luke, while I wish we got more feats

I'm happy he wasn't Legends Luke, them taking a different path for this makes way more sense to me, and besides it shows us that even our greatest Heroes and Icons have flaws, and I find flawed characters far more interesting than characters who don't have any

if you like legends version of Luke's journey then read that instead

there's no reason why we cant like both.

Wow! I just got back from seeing the movie and I thought it was great! It was intense and constantly left me at the edge of my seat. Some more information about Snoke would have been nice, but the massive subversion of the Return of the Jedi plot formula was executed extremely well otherwise and avoided going down the predictable route. The humor generally wasn't overwhelming and balanced the intensity of the movie well, in my opinion. Definitely my favorite of the Post-Disney Star Wars movies, and might make my top 3 Star Wars movies overall.

@Dinobot

That scene where the admiral rams into a First Order fleet in hyperspace.

Loved that shit.

@The Everlasting

That scene managed to outdo the Star Destroyer collision from Rogue One for me, as well as put the entire audience into a stunned silence, except for a couple people who just went "Whoa".

Antvasima said:
I read an article at CBR that said that George Lucas liked this movie, whereas he said that the last one was like going to his ex-wife's wedding.
I remember George Lucas was quoted as saying simply that TLJ is "beautifully made." My speculation is he worded this carefully to not be rude. Supposedly, there were more complimentary remarks by George but I've seen no other specific quotes.

Personally, I always loved the first six and EU but I'm mostly disappointed in Disney Star Wars. They have a few neat things but for the overwhelming most part they are poor quality.

I love the new characters in the ST , my only gripe with this trilogy is the world building, the star wars universe seems pretty small.

We're probably going to get a Snoke comic explaining him away... But I think Kylo went from the learner still needing training to being ready to betray his master wayyyyy too quickly.

Just watched the movie. Can't say I'm too disappointed, but disappointed nonetheless. As mentioned above I feel this movie was too self-contained. Star Wars was never about a single rebel fleet, it was about a mass string of interconnecting events that played out into a grand scheme. This is why I loved Rogue One. Rogue One perfectly captured how things worked in Star Wars. One day you're nothing, and the next, you're something. Nothing is ever small in Star Wars, and yes it did feel like a Marvel movie. I felt that TLJ was too 'safe' if you get me. It felt like the executives were too afraid to explore the universe that was given to them.

Another thing I didn't like was how weak everyone was. My friend and I always joked that if EU Vader was in Rogue One, Leia's ship would never have taken off. Luke in TLJ was supposed to be a legend. A LEGEND. And what did they make him do? Make a little Force projection to distract Kylo. Luke should have kicked his ass. That's another flaw as well actually, the lack of lightsaber fights.

Let's be honest, no one goes to a Star Wars movie without expecting a lightsaber being activated at least once. TLJ could have had more, or at least better lightsaber duels, but no 'internal conflict' was the main focus of the show.

Overall I'm disappointed with this movie, and there's nothing much more I can say about it. I expected an adventure and it gave me... I don't even know what to call it. At this point Disney would do a much better job if they give us more universe expanding material outside of the movies because they suck at doing that with movies.

Yeah, Luke's death was super underwhelming. After his projection (at the time I thought it was him [I just thought him being younger was a plot hole]) tanked the blaster fire I was ready for him to just singlehandedly wipe out all the AT-ATs and die from it. But he didn't. Just a distraction? Freaking lame.

Just saw it. Had a good time, but wasn't blown away. Luke's last scene was pretty solid, but I didn't expect it to be used as his...ya know. There were some genuinely excellent scenes scattered throughout.

Honestly though, I'm fine with this version of Star Wars being the one fresh in the public conscious, even if it feels different than the originals. Far better than the...alternative.

@Azzy

You liked Luke's death scene? I was super underwhelmed. Why did a force projection freaking kill him? Jedi and Sith can communicate on a galactic scale easily, why did he all of a sudden die to it?

Hey, at least we have seen a canon force ghost use his powers. Maybe they will explain that Luke let go of his life Obi-wan style.

TFW Obi-Wan in his mid 60s can fight Darth Vader but 53 year old Luke is so weak. Son of the Chosen One has such Force potential, wow.

RIP Luke. Killed for being a sp00ky ghost. Gj Disney.

Not seen the film but im not planning on watching it now either. Not even downloading it. Not worth the space on a hard drive.

Hey some of the scenes were amazing. The space battles are amazing, as always, and Rei+Kylo's scene against Snoke is pretty great too. Luke's death and the couple of extra, unneeded scenes are my complaint. But that hurts it to the point of being a 6/10 for me.

Azathoth the Abyssal Idiot said:
PM and AotC are absolute garbage, though.
I was actually banned from watching Phantom Menace as a kid, because of how bad it was.

Assaltwaffle said:
Hey some of the scenes were amazing. The space battles are amazing, as always, and Rei+Kylo's scene against Snoke is pretty great too. Luke's death and the couple of extra, unneeded scenes are my complaint. But that hurts it to the point of being a 6/10 for me.
Stuff like this is really similar to what hurts RotJ as a film, honestly.

Honestly? I'm watching / watched the prequels for the first time this year. Had no expectation, nostalgia, decades of knowing what to think about them.

... I hate Phantom Menace, it is garbage. But Attack of the Clones while objectively not good was something I enjoyed myself watching and had a good time, romance sub-plot not withstanding.

People should be able to like whatever films they please.

My issue comes when people try to act like PM and AotC aren't objectively very, very poorly composed films, or say people only like the originals for nostalgia reasons.

I could write an actual essay on what's wrong with episodes 1 and 2.

Honestly if I were to make someone watch the Star Wars Prequels? I'd ditch Phantom Menace and make a new trilogy.

Attack of the Clones, The Clone Wars 2D cartoon which in total clocks in at about 2 hours, and Revenge of the Sith.

Revenge of the Sith was also made with it in mind. Like, you legit won't get some of the plot points if you haven't watched it.

The movie itself was decent but it was long as hell. Also had to sit next to people who wouldn't shut up and kept looking at me lmao.

Back