• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Last Jedi Discussion Thread SPOILERS!!!!

Shadowbokunohero

VS Battles
Content Moderator
Don't worry won't be posting anything right now, I know the majority haven't watched it yet

But it is here for when we do talk about it

I must say.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................around what level is Yoda's feat?

Also holy sh*t the trailers didn't ruined anything, this shouldn't be ignored people.

Can we upgrade Finn's speed to "unknown, possibly Subsonic" scaling to a injured Kylo Ren and then scale everyone in this movie from that?

Eficiente said:
Can we upgrade Finn's speed to "unknown, possibly Subsonic" scaling to a injured Kylo Ren and then scale everyone in this movie from that?
I'm going to make a revision thread tomorrow or day after. It includes revisions for Finn and FN-2199 which I think people will like.

Not related to vs debates but the visual guide supposedly gives vague suggestions of Snoke being the first Jedi.

This movie is definitely going to split the community in half though, the guys who love it and those who hate it

I read an article at CBR that said that George Lucas liked this movie, whereas he said that the last one was like going to his ex-wife's wedding.

nah I really like the new movies, are they perfect? not by any means, they have flaws but so do many other movies, as much as I like George, by the time revenge of the sith we could all tell he cant write any good dialogue... his great at thinking of ideas and events, as much as I love the prequels the general auidence have distaste for them so bad that it's a running joke at this point and it soiled the star wars name for many others for so long, only after the force awakens did star wars get praised and gathered even more fans, and wherter or not we like the new movies overall the general audience does, which is a good thing as this will ensure the survival of the franchise for a long time.

I wouldn't mind him being an executive producer though, where he gives idea's and lets others write his scripts.

Well, it is too late now in any case. For the record, I did not like episode 7, whereas I thought that episode 8 was technically well made, but still felt like fanfiction, rather than being the original Star Wars essence.

Antvasima said:
The new movies feel like fanfiction with an enormous budget.
I'm not surprised that many people feel this way. Rian Johnson and J J Abrams are huge Star Wars fans and especially of the original trilogy. After seeing Last Jedi, I feel as though they're acting less as Star Wars writers and more as fans writing fanfics.

I've actually defended the Disney Canon a lot. But many of the complaints about the current films I feel are valid.

The only Star Wars canon works that don't feel like fanfiction are the novels and comics end even Rebels. So... Pretty much all of the canon works besides the movies.

I wish James Luceno could direct. Just imagine a Star Wars movie or animated series made by him. Would be a truly wonderful experience.

Well, as I mentioned, I wish that Disney had accepted George Lucas' outlines for his intended trilogy, and simply hired people to help him improve the dialogue, but it is far too late. It is just a part of a soulless corporate money-making machine now.

What bothered me most about Last Jedi was how much it felt like a Marvel Cinematic Universe film. Don't get me wrong. I liked the film. I quite enjoyed. But... It's certainly no Empire Strikes Back or Revenge of the Sith. Now those two really feel like actual Star Wars content.

Or to almost quote Mark Hamill, those who visit the new movies in an attempt to recapture a sense of wonder from their childhoods, are setting themselves up for disappointment.

There is a reason why the critics and the fans are so extremely divided on Rotten Tomatoes.

Still, given that IGN rated it 97 out of 100, I expected a masterpiece, and came out thinking that Disney bribed them.

I actually dont feel this way at all, does the last jedi feel completely different from earlier films well yes, imo I think they feel like fanfiction because were to use to having the same stuff associated with star wars and what makes star wars... "star wars" that when we get something different from earlier films it might feel off and not "star wars" like, I mean if you look at the structure of the stories, a new hope and empire besides the characters is completely different... and the only reason we associate these with star wars is because it's what we have known for the last 4 decades.

for me, i feel like people focus too much on what Star Wars should be instead of what Star Wars could be.

thats just the way i feel anyway

Yup... Say what you will about the prequels and about Lucas miking Star Wars before the Disney takeover. But at least Lucas put all his passion into them. This is especially apparent in Revenge of the Sith.

Just to clarify: I'm not hating on the Disney Canon. This continuity as a whole is good. It's only the sequel trilogy. They're enjoyable. They're good films. But do they capture the true Star Wars spirit and passion that went into A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Revenge of the Sith? They absolutely don't.

I did not mind the prequels. They were true to George Lucas' original vision. They had three problems though: The complicated senate hearings, the dialogue, and Jar-Jar Binks.

I watched a Youtube theory that Jar-Jar was originally supposed to be a Sith equivalent of Yoda, a seemingly harmless goofy character that hides something far greater, but was changed due to the massive fan backlash.

I would not have minded if George had used that concept myself.

the problem is people hype up these movies way too much before their release instead of watching the film first and then talking about it, I think till this day, that's why phantom menace received mixed reviews, TPM isnt an amazing film but it is definitely above your average summer blockbuster.

i think thats the problem with the new films imo, they dont really expand on the universe

@Soldier Blue

True. They had to go into how people democratically elected themselves into tyranny at some point. The problem was just the execution.

I am still really sad with Luke's treatment. He was denied his ideal character arc, which Legends did beautifully. There are numerous storylines detailing his growth over the decades and development into a Jedi Grand Master and rebuilding the Jedi Order, while in the Disney Canon he is made worthless.

I also find that the way Disney retconned the EU shows how little thought they put into the decision. Stuff like the Bane novels and Darth Plagueis and the Old Republic series have no reason to be made non Canon. They contradict nothing.

Made worse by the fact that the Clone Wars cartoon was made with the EU in mind. They reference EU characters and stories all the time.

But now thanks to Disney, Star Wars Canon is so messed up that Darth Bane is Canon due to his cameo in Clone Wars, but not the novel series where the character comes from and inspired the cameo in the first place.

I did not liked how several characters were portrayed in the movie and many scenes felt unnecessary to me, i was disappointed in how Phasma and Snoke ended up and the movies did not mentioned any past secrets about them.

Back