• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Elder Scrolls

Hop_Hoppington-Hoppenhiemer

Username Only
VS Battles
Retired
Wait, Hop is confused.

this: https://gyazo.com/54504816218252a1ec9bebd7d47c90e6

Is based on this: https://web.archive.org/web/20160306215526/http://www.narutoforums.com/blog.php?bt=201317

But is it actually contradicted by this: https://gyazo.com/d815329591f0c59424e066d620c72340

So he calced this arrow feat, right. It's like MFTL if we assume Earth-to-Sun. Okay, fine. But like, those are just normal arrows. They only go at that speed when aimed at the sun. So why is is being used for Dovahkiin's speed? No one in canon other than him uses it, and it's never fired at him. So what is going on here, cause this seems like either wank or poor interpretation skills.

And you all should know... this is before we start assuming Elder Scrolls cosmology is vastly different from even being remotely like reality's.

@Hop - yeah, this doesn't even take place on Earth, and we could LITERALLY argue that the arrows just went to the top of the stratosphere and formed a giant cloud *shrug*

On the comments of the calc it was decided that the arrows should at least reach space (100 km) thus the MHS result.(Personally i agree with this)But assuming that it reached other lower layers of the atmosphere isn't unreasonable.

I think this scales to the Dragonborn because ingame NPCs can dodge his arrows from some meters away.

Personally, i think that we should briefly discuss what is more realistic for character speed given what is presented in game.

The movement speed of the character can be much less of that than the arrow's speed.

Low end (i argue the stratosphere/50km max to be the highest it can go) and the higher end (100km = entering space) range from HHS+ to MHS speeds.

What speed would we requires to safely dodge the arrows from a few meters away?

For instance, standing at 4 meters away, using the low end speed, the arrow would take 0.00016s to dodge... also, aim-dodging is also a factor that I think is ignored in Skyrim.

A character moving 1 meter to evade the arrow from 4 meters away would make them Hypersonic+, which is a massive difference between the speeds.

I personally think that the speed for the Dovahkiin can be no higher than High Hypersonic judging from both ends.

The 100 km assumption is the best one in my opinion, even though the Sun in TES is just a hole in the sky it shouldn't be inside the planet's lower atmosphere.

The result is more likely just Hypersonic+, i'll highlight it to get more opinions.

It's worth noting that the SMT Earth is Flat is that each star and planet and moon in the sky is actually a universal realm of infinite size which assumes that appearance from human perspective because... stuff.

@Kka - i don't think the arrow actually reaches the "sun", but could there be some sort of affect where the blood + arrow disperse once reaching a certain altitude? I'm just reaching at this point, but I do see it as a spell that summons a massive cloud that blocks the sun from lighting the area you're in (pretty much the entirety of Skyrim).

But if we're using the 100km, dodging the arrow from a few meters is still about High Hypersonic, at the very least the high end of Hypersonic+.

I think it's symbolic of "shooting" the Sun to kill it. The arrow can't reach the sun in TES Cosmology, the Sun is infinitely away from Mundus (Earth).

So, given that this feat seems unreliable, what should we scale from instead?

Theworldsaddestraisinbox said:
then again the arrow is fired from a godly bow. Basically i think it has something to do with magic
Bow isn't godly. Appears in all of the games.

It's the Arrows that are unique. Again, it's symbolic.

@Ant - the feat is still reliable if we assume it reaches the lowest point in space. It's just ridiculous to assume it flew to the sun (mftl speeds), especially since now apparently "the sun is infinitely away from the planet".

If we're scaling based off of 50km/s, which seems reasonable, We have at least Hypersonic+ characters, since they can dodge it from a short distance away.

CinCameron20 said:
@Ant - the feat is still reliable if we assume it reaches the lowest point in space
Again, no... because in TES, there is no "Outer Space" there is Mundos and then there is Oblivion which encircles the world.

Taken from Jaffen (not my work)

"The planets are the gods and the planes of the gods, which is the same thing. That they appear as spherical heavenly bodies is a visual phenomena caused by mortal mental stress. Since each plane(t) is an infinite mass of infinite size, as yet surrounded by the Void of Oblivion, the mortal eye registers them as bubbles within a space. Planets are magical and impossible. The eight planets correspond to the Eight Divines. They are all present on the Dwarven Orrery, along with the mortal planet, Nirn."

"The sky is another visual phenomenon caused by mortal mental stress, the night sky in particular. The sky is as impossible as planets; in essence, when you look into the sky, 'you look outside the material plane'. At night, Nirn is surrounded by Oblivion. The day sky is the multicolored elemental cloak of Magnus the sun. It changes colors as elemental influences rise and fall. Thus, when one looks at the day sky, they see into the raiments of Aetherius, and stare at magic."

In the setting of TES, a conventional projectile fired into the sky would never reach the boundary of the sky no matter how fast it was traveling, since the distance between the "planet" and "space" is literally infinite by definition, meaning that the feat of "shooting the sun" is physically impossible, and therefore must be conceptual rather than literal—AKA, the arrow doesn't physically hit the sun (since that is literally impossible without using a magical portal to Oblivion), but the act of "shooting at the sun" has significance as a conceptmagically. It's just like mythology, people—in ancient Greece the sun was said to be Helios's chariot, but that doesn't mean Helios rode around on a massive sphere of fusing hydrogen.

'TL;DR—TES cosmology is NOTHING like the real world, so it can't be used for calculating feats.'

This research in question is regarding the reaction speed of the Dovahkiin, being able to react to Auriel's Bow's arrows.

The TL;DR is that Auriel's Bow is magical and fires arrows that don't follow standard laws of physics, as there is no set distance the "Sun" (Magnus) from Nirn (Earth).

Then the feat is completely unreliable and should be removed as the distance the arrow traveled is unknown.

Back to Peak Human+ Skyrim? :p

I suppose that we will have to use "Unknown" speed ratings, unless somebody knows of a better feat to scale from.

That would be a wise idea. Maybe we can calc their magic attacks.

You are aware the Dragonborn has a shout that summons an actual thundercloud, lightning storm right?

Hop can get in game footage if you want.

Shout: Storm Call "STRUN BAH QO (Storm, Wrath, Lightning)"

More details on the shout.

"The Storm Call shout creates a heavy downpour, accompanied by a fierce thunderstorm directly above the Dragonborn that throws powerful bolts of lightning down upon anyone underneath, friend and foe alike." "In addition, the Shout can only be used outside." "3 Words: 180 seconds of heavy downpour and thunder bolts, each dealing 80 damage that hit randomly every 3-6 seconds. Range: around 150 feet"

If the OBD has accepted the calculation, I suppose that it does not seem controversial to use it. What rating did they arrive at?

MHS. And the NF calc states something like MFTL. Which can't work. Past the atompsphere in the Elder Scrolls, it is a nonphysical void, a representation of other gods and such. Sheoth could explain it better, but they were using the speed of the arrow to justify reaction speeds. However that particular bow and arrow set doesn't work at those speeds or in the same way as when you point it at the "sun". So it only is that fast in one case, adn I don't get why we even downplayed a feat that is invalid for a "dodge feat" that isn't even possible to occur in game or lore.

Well, I checked over the claculation that Steve Rogers1 linked to, and it seems to have arrived at MHS+. As long as the Narutoforums calculators have accepted it, it should be fine to use.

Yes. That is the one that I have been talking about.

Okay. And was it accepted by the Narutoforums calculators?

I don't know how to trust their validity. I know we usually do. I would like to look into more before jumping to the easiest solution.

Okay. You can inform the calculation group members about this thread, asking for a verification of the calculation in question.

Back