• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Dark Tower: Revisions Remastered, Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna level with you here; unless you have a major grudge against the characters, you're not going to like most of it.

And just in case anyone is wondering, I'm keeping them and the other DT profiles out of this because we're not going to get anywhere if we try to tackle every single thing at once. This is a fairly wide-scale set of revisions, so it's going to need to be handled in stages.

Still being decided. Technically, only one person thinks Gan shouldn't be Tier 0. (I think...?)

I'm pretty sure we're just waiting to see if Azathoth is going to say anything here or not. And I talked to him again on Discord; he seems to be willing to come say his piece, but he's likely to do it on his own time, since (from what I can tell) he has other things on his mind right now.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
Still being decided. Technically, only one person thinks Gan shouldn't be Tier 0. (I think...?)
  • raises hand*
That's me, but I don't really have any argument for why he shouldn't be Tier 0 besides being stronker than a few 1-As and thus being 1-A himself so there is no opposition really.

A single Reality-Fiction Interaction is enough for Tier 0? I thought they were supposed to trascend the concept of Beyond-Dimensional Hierarchies itself.

"That is, to even be considered for Tier 0, a character must at the very least transcend baseline 1-A characters in the same manner that they exceed ones who are bound by dimensions".

I am not sure why that description is still on the page. Not only it is vague as **** but multiple members have already said that Tier 0 has more to do with one's position and portrayal within their own verse, rather than direct feats of transcendence. It's a really fluid and relative tier.

Maybe it is, but we can't just pretend said description is not there, sitting on the most important page in the wiki.

Can we get back on topic please?

Everything seems to line up to Pennywise's true form and Maturin being 1-A, and Gan's spirit being 0. It just seems the most reasonable.

Although I do wonder about the infinite recursion inherent and immeasurable size implied by a self-containing cosmology.

Dvorak1902 said:
Tier 0 being broken was part of the Topic, or at least part of part of the topic..
Nope. Tier 0 being "broken" is completely irrelevant, and if it actually is, then you should ask the staff about a revision to the tiering system, otherwise you're just complaining over nothing and not solving anything.
Gan is tier 0 because he fits all the requirements for being tier 0. Characters who are 1-A are as insignificant as dust motes in his eye. The entire perspective between the infinite layers of the Dark Tower and the transcendent realm of the Macroverse is insignificant to him. His descriptions "fit in" within the descriptions of several other tier 0s.

Your beliefs about the perceived flaws of the tiering system are irrelevant. The facts of the matter are relevant.

Coming back super briefly just to post this comment and only this comment, probably.

As I understand it, the reason for Gan being tier 0 is not due to a single reality-fiction interaction, but because there is effectively no difference among these things, to him. Everything in the verse is fiction to Gan, and whether it is a human or a 1-A entity like the clown emoji or actually just a turtle doesn't change that. Gan is effectively all that is "real", and is the unequivocal source and peak of existence. (Again, this is just my understanding. Despite reading a good number of his books over my life, I am far from a Stephen King expert) There is Gan, and there is everything else, and only one of these things really matters in the end. This seems pretty close to the reasoning for a good number of other tier 0s, many of whom people don't have a problem with.

But that is just my opinion. Really what it comes down to is that I trust MrKing. He and a few others have put a ton of work into this, and what I've seen from him is incredibly convincing. I believe the arguments he's presented to be solid, so he has my endorsement. Make of that what you will.

@Malomtek

My beliefs? I'm sorry for pointing out that the requirements for the Tier say one thing, and that several other people clearly state to understand something different or want something different about it.

Why would we subject him to a broken standard just because several other characters may or might not be wrong too? Do you even what know the "requirements" are? There aren't, there aren't clear requirements and we can't keep doing this whilst ignoring the problem again and again and again.

You don't care about the facts, you only want to push your agenda and hide problems under the rug.

Anyway. Thanks for your actually useful input, Azzy, that seems like a fair way to see it if we have to make the decision now.

Tony di bugalu said:
I mean, we have others 1-A that qualifies for those descriptions and well, they are just 1-A.
I totally agree with youÒÇéthere are some characters like hajun who can also see 1a or someone who far beyond baseline 1a as fiction ´╝îmaybe we should upgrade hajun too?

and i think if just seeing a 1a as fiction and being a in-universe supreme being is enough to get tier 0´╝îthen Majestic Presence is maybe more than enoughÒÇé

@Dvorak1902

I know what the requirements are, just that they are clearly interpreted a bit differently for each context, given how vague and fluid they are.

Now calm down and take your L.

Please don't quote walls of text.

Well, it seems like Gan has been accepted as tier 0 then.

However, I definitely do not think that we should lessen our official requirements for the tier just because a few characters within it might need to be downgraded to 1-A according to our current system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back