• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Dark Tower: Revisions Remastered, Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
And it's about damn time.

This doesn't need an introduction, and frankly, after having had to wrestle with this on and off for over a year now, I'm in no mood to deliver one. So sit down, shut up and pay attention, because there's a lot that needs to be covered.

BEFORE WE GET STARTED

• As was agreed upon between myself and some others who've been helping me during the last leg of this trainwreck, all information that comes from the Dark Tower comics is henceforth to be excluded from the profiles. Not only does the comics' author Robin Furth view them as a separate canon from the series, but her statement of them "taking place on another level of the Tower" (if taken at face value instead of the non-serious handwave that it is) severely contradicts the novels, which establish that Mid-World is only on one level of the Tower and that the Tower itself isn't accessible outside of that level. (I believe there's even a direct quote from one of the books which states that there's only one Mid-World and one Keystone World, but I've yet to locate it as of this writing.)
  • This first thread will be covering Gan, Pennywise, Maturin and the Dark Tower itself. Later threads will deal with the Crimson King (who comes with his own set of problems), the non-deities such as Roland and Flagg (who are going to be going through major changes as well), and the Old Ones, among others. Don't derail with anything unrelated to the characters who are the focus of this thread, or this is going to go nowhere.
  • Some credit goes to Aeyu (who helped gather several quotes towards the final leg of this thing), as well as Ultima, Matt and Azathoth, who helped oversee this mess. Some credit also goes to Crimson Azoth for...well, you'll see in a moment.
Now, let's get this shit over with.

Pennywise & Maturi
Let's start with something some of us already know; Pennywise's avatar is due for an AP upgrade. A calc was accepted which puts the avatar at (at the very least) Large Mountain level+. It can be seen here.

Does this scale to durability? Well, yes and no. See, the issue with Pennywise's avatar in the novel is that it must obey the rules of whatever shape and form it has chosen to take at any given point. For example, in its werewolf form, a typical handgun was able to visibly damage it, although it immediately regenerated from said damage.

However, in its avatar's "truest" form (that being the physical form that's closest in nature to its real self within the Deadlights), it doesn't take damage from anything that its other forms do. The children are only able to harm and kill it after defeating its true form in an astral battle, and did so while amped by the Other. (read: Gan) Outside of being torn apart by characters who were amplified by the power of the verse's God, nothing is shown to stop this form of the avatar at any point.

As for Pennywise's true form, I believe that's where Maturin comes in. In order to save everyone time, I've left the quotes relevant to this section in a Pastebin entry.

Pennywise & Maturi

Summing this up:

• Maturin is stated at multiple points to hold all of Gan's creation on his shell, with several bits of lore supporting such.
  • Pennywise's true form exists beyond the void in which Maturin lives and views the "universe" (which could either be referring to all of Gan's creation or just the mainstream SK universe where Derry is located) as nothing but a "puny egg". However, Maturin is still the more powerful of the two.
By the way, as you can probably tell, the bit on Penny's page about eventually killing Maturin is complete bullshit. Pennywise had nothing to do with Maturin's death, and Maturin is outright stated to possess "power which dwarfs Its power", rendering void any notion that the clown is stronger than the Turtle in any way.

Speaking of "void", it's time we talked about the Macroverse, because it's very, very important here. Another relevant Pastebin entry can be found below.

The Macroverse

As a summary of what's mentioned in the above:

• The Macroverse is a void which exists outside of the multiverse of the Tower, being described as a "void of possibility which lay beyond all physical worlds".
  • Richie perceives no directions when traveling in the Macroverse.
  • The Macroverse predates the recession of the Prim and the creation of the Tower, and also predates time as a concept.
Both Pennywise and Maturin scale, thanks to the evidence I've already laid out for the both of them. However, this leads to something even bigger, which I will be detailing below.

Gan, the Dark Tower and the Story Itself
This is where things get complicated. I've explained everything as best I can in yet another Pastebin entry below, although I'm sure there'll be questions that arise in spite of that:

Gan, the Dark Tower and the Story Itself

To summarize this one:

• The Dark Tower, as we know, is comprised of infinite layers, each of which contain infinite universes that are infinitely larger than those found on the layer below. Its many representative forms across the multiverse (such as the Talisman) embody the entirety of this existence on a physical level, yet the both the Tower and its physical representatives are merely an aspect of Gan.
  • Gan exists as a power beyond all others, and is the supreme creator of all that is. His existence is beyond the scope of even the most ancient and powerful beings in the setting, to the point that Pennywise in its true form is implied to be "no more than the smallest mote in (Gan's) mind". This is further evidenced by the fact that the latter is unable to comprehend or rationalize the existence of the former for longer than a few brief moments.
  • Gan's nature as the source of all stories within the setting, as well as the fact that Stephen King's entire bibliography exists within the Tower and dictates the reality of the setting, means that Gan himself views everything within the series-- up to and including every in-series being, item and location I've mentioned within this CRT-- as being nothing but fiction.
Proposal
Oh, don't act like you don't know what's coming. It should be pretty obvious by now.

• The Dark Tower (Gan's first key): High Hyperverse level (The multiverse which comprises the Dark Tower is comprised of infinite layers or "steps", each of which contains an infinite number of universes which are themselves infinitely larger than those found on the step below. It has been stated that an entire universe in one step can be contained within a single atom of a blade of grass in the step above, with this same step having an infinite multiverse which is itself contained within a grain of sand in the next step, and so on.) [This isn't a revision so much as an improvement on the reasoning for why this thing is High 1-B.]
  • Maturin: Outerverse level (Exists outside of the Dark Tower in a void which lacks physicality/direction, and predates both the concept of time and the multiverse's existence as a whole. Carries the entire multiversal structure of the Dark Tower upon his back, and is confirmed to have existed prior to its creation. Explicitly more powerful than the likes of Pennywise.)
  • Pennywise (second key): Outerverse level (Exists outside of the Dark Tower in a void beyond that which Maturin resides in; Maturin himself exists in a void which lacks physicality/direction, and predates both the concept of time and the multiverse's existence as a whole.)
  • Gan (second key): High Outerverse level (Exists as "the author of all that is" and the source of all songs and fictional stories within the Dark Tower setting. Beings such as Pennywise, Maturin and the other Beam Guardians/Demon Elementals, and the undimensioned voids in which they reside, exist only as fictional creations within the songs and stories of which he himself is the progenitor. Even the weakest of such beings vastly transcends an infinitely-layered multiverse, predates the concept of time, and has existed since before the aforementioned multiverse was created.)
As I said already, this isn't nearly everything. There's a lot more that needs fixing in the coming weeks. But we're going to need to start somewhere, and this is as good a place as any.

Discuss below.

Oh heck it's here

So only the truest form Avatar would have High 7-A scale to it's dura?

While I'm not knowledgeable about Dark Tower this is really well made and explained i'd expect no less from King.

DMUA said:
Oh heck it's here
So only the truest form Avatar would have High 7-A scale to it's dura?
Basically. It's...weird, because its other forms are all still perfectly capable of just ripping apart anyone they come across, which would imply that there isn't a difference in AP at all. But the other forms besides that are harmed by things like bullets and silver, and there's never a point where they display power anywhere near what it does when it crash-lands on Earth or when it dies and collapses the town.

Don't know much about the Dark Tower, but this seems okay from a glance.

Also, yeah, that bit about Penny killing Maturin always seemed like total bullshit.

Not familiar with the verse, but Mr King did an excellent job as those who helped. So I can agree to this.

My computer is being a prick, so I'm having trouble keeping up with all of the responses here, but...

Overlord775 said:
does this mean Avatar Pennywise has Outerversal level mindhax ?
Type 4 madness hax, but yes.

Just as a note, in Insomnia, the Deadlights almost kill a guy who could travel to and perceive higher dimensions as well as manifest powers on those levels, just from him viewing them. (he just barely looks away from them in time) To put that into perspective, Flagg showed Roland several levels of the Tower at once in a vision, and the latter was at most stunned for several hours. Flagg stated afterwards that what Roland saw would have left a normal person "drooling", but still alive, and as it was, Roland was left pretty ****** up even with his stupid reserves of willpower letting him hold out.
Crabwhale said:
Also, yeah, that bit about Penny killing Maturin always seemed like total bullshit.
You always did seem like a man with some level of common sense.

You don't seem to know me well then.

That, and having read somewhere that Maturin specifically died of other causes that had nothing to do with Penny.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
Basically. It's...weird, because its other forms are all still perfectly capable of just ripping apart anyone they come across, which would imply that there isn't a difference in AP at all. But the other forms besides that are harmed by things like bullets and silver, and there's never a point where they display power anywhere near what it does when it crash-lands on Earth or when it dies and collapses the town.
It's a simple matter of Pennywise not really existing in an environment that would be very testing of these sorts of things

His other forms should scale to whatever they do, while the clearly higher feats should be used for the truer form

Crabwhale said:
That, and having read somewhere that Maturin specifically died of other causes that had nothing to do with Penny.
He did.

Penny states that he "puked in his shell and choked on a galaxy or two", but it's retroactively implied that his death was due to his corresponding Beam failing. (Which is also implied to be what caused several of the other Beam Guardians to die off prior to the events of the DT series)

We don't know for sure what actually killed him, but it damn well had nothing to do with the clown, and the books do nothing to imply otherwise.
DMUA said:
It's a simple matter of Pennywise not really existing in an environment that would be very testing of these sorts of things

His other forms should scale to whatever they do, while the clearly higher feats should be used for the truer form
Sounds good enough to me. Though honestly, most of those forms would just be within the Wall level range due to ripping people apart.

Also, I shouldn't have to say this, but all of the above characters should have Beyond-Dimensional Existence listed on their profiles for obvious reasons.

On a quick unrelated note, some of you (who didn't completely forget about her) might be wondering where Bessa is in all of this, seeing as she's directly related to Gan and all. Well...

She's getting deleted. The entity the profile covers only exists in the comics. In the canon source material, "Bessa" is just a random name some guy praises alongside Gan and the Beam Guardians, with no context ever given as to who she's supposed to be. And in the books, the Rose is just another manifestation/representative of the Tower and Gan, not a separate nexus animated by a separate being.

If we end up with DT Comics profiles, she'll be back though.

Wow. it incridibly but we could make a new profile for other character in DT such as Maerlyn , Arthur eld , and The twelve guardian it would for DT much more interest

Maerlyn and Arthur Eld don't actually have a whole lot of feats outside of the comics, and many of the Beam Guardians aren't mentioned by name in the books at all.

Even if we do end up making profiles for them, we can worry about them later after we fix the ones we currently have.

Wait!!! if pennywise was become a 1-A that shown the IT can collapse or destroy simultanously The tower and cration a whole ?

Just as a note, in Insomnia, the Deadlights almost kill a guy who could travel to and perceive higher dimensions as well as manifest powers on those levels, just from him viewing them

Insomnia is a bit odd within the Dark Tower mythos though, considering how The Crimson King's ascension to another layer coincides with what we know of the Tower. I think it's a bit iffy to utilize that book as solid backing for Pennywise's madness, especially considering the Deadlights have explicitly failed to permanently affect children.

but it's retroactively implied that his death was due to his corresponding Beam failing. (Which is also implied to be what caused several of the other Beam Guardians to die off prior to the events of the DT series)

I don't think that's ever implied truthfully. The Turtle is still an important figure and carries power in and of itself when utilized by Pere Callahan in The Dark Tower for example, and the Bear-Turtle beam never broke to my recollection; Roland even points out to Eddie in Wolves of the Calla that they'd all be dead if it happened to the beam they were upon, which was Bear-Turtle as I recall. It was one of the last ones being upheld and began repairing itself after the events at Blue Heaven, no?

Just a few nitpicks, the OP itself in general is pretty well-founded and as someone intimately familiar with the verse, I can find no overt faults.

"and as someone intimately familiar with the verse"

Why have I never seen you before?

Looking back, Insomnia is treated in-series as a "diversion", so I see your point. But the bit about it failing to permanently affect children is a bit flawed given everything else that happens in the IT novel. (where, among other things, two people also instantly die from seeing the Deadlights and don't come back) I also recall Bill and Richie encountering the Deadlights after being amped by Gan, which could be a perfectly valid explanation for why they didn't just suffer a horrifying death of madness upon looking at them. (Although it's been about a month and a half since I gave the book's climactic chapters another once-over, so I may be forgetting some other instance that happened.)

I genuinely forgot about the stuff regarding the Bear-Turtle Beam though, so that's my bad. The point about Pennywise never killing Maturin still stands, however.

I haven't seen much discussion on The Tower so far on the wiki, to answer the jest ;)

Yeah Insomnia is a bit of an oddity, the only reason I bring that up. Also the fact that the King turns into a catfish as his most powerful maneuver is part of why I want it to just not be contemplated

That's a fair point on Maturin having aided the boys, but Maturin did explicitly state Bill had to beat IT in a battle of wills directly, so I think there's a good argument for Maturin having only cheered him on since it would be pointless otherwise.

As to Maturin's 'death', I think Pennywise was simply hopeful for the Turtle having choked to death due to not having encountered resistance from it in a while. Complete headcanon but nothing else makes sense when you line it up with the events of the 7th Dark Tower book; Maturin is either dead or he's not, and his continued presence and the presence of his Beam seems to be in-keeping with our dear Robert Gray just being wrong.

I would agree if it weren't for the fact that, as Pennywise is pulling Bill's consciousness out of the universe towards the Deadlights during both Rituals of Chud, he ends up drifting past the Turtle on his way out. (which makes sense, if Maturin is holding all of creation on his back) The first time, the Turtle speaks to him on the way by. The second time, we don't see the Turtle (I don't think?) thanks to the narrative perspective switching, but Bill ends up exclaiming that It was right and the Turtle really is dead.

I dunno, though. The last three DT books don't mesh perfectly with all of the King works they reference. A lot of really weird continuity snarls stick out once you line them up with the other books they're connected to, and it gets really confusing sometimes.

Yeah that's my only hiccup with it as well; Bill's statement of Maturin appearing to be dead is quite odd, especially since Book 7 of The Tower objectively occurs after the event sof Insomnia and those events are after IT, so realisitcally how is Maturin dead if he's still alive and influencing the world up until the end of Roland's journey?

Perhaps it's a soft retcon of his death? Or perhaps Pennywise simply wanted to try and instill more fear into Bill and projected that image? It's guesswork at that point admittedly but I do struggle with the idea of Maturin legitimately choking to death on a few galaxies when he spit out our entire Universe and was influencing events in the end of The Tower novels.

Alright, while I've read the Dark Tower books, I'm not too knowledgeable on the cosmos rules and how Outerverses work.

However, these changes seems good for me. They seem more accurate as to the degree of strength that Gan and the others have been described at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back