• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The commoners thread: Discussing Ultima's "On the Many, Many Incoherences of the Tiering System"

In certain cases you simply have to.

Not many characters atm are 1-B (Only 69 out of 28,983, or 0.00238%), but it's necessary to have a tier that encompasses all the finite dimensionalities above a certain point, rather than just merging it with something else.
Most popular tier is tier 2 afaik, looking at the popularity poll, but.... This new upgrade will make most of them tier 1
Tohou project is one
DT is literally a supporter, its going into tier 1 without any second thoughts

In certain cases you simply have to.

Not many characters atm are 1-B (Only 69 out of 28,983, or 0.00238%), but it's necessary to have a tier that encompasses all the finite dimensionalities above a certain point, rather than just merging it with something else.
Do you remember that there used to be a Low 1-B? It got merged with 1-B due to only having a dozen or so characters.

Overall, our tiers are very accommodating; they have minimum bars for being achieved. If there was only one character that was 7-D, and every other character capped out at 5-D, our tiering system would end at "Can create/destroy 5-D constructs".

When we first indexed a character that ended up lower than the conventional 11-C definition, we didn't add Low 11-C or tier 12, we changed the definition of 11-C from "0-D" to "0-D or lower".

So, no, how many characters land there is one of the primary considerations of tiers.

Do you remember that there used to be a Low 1-B? It got merged with 1-B due to only having a dozen or so characters.
No? I joined in late 2019, I don't remember that being a thing. What was Low 1-B?

Overall, our tiers are very accommodating; they have minimum bars for being achieved. If there was only one character that was 7-D, and every other character capped out at 5-D, our tiering system would end at "Can create/destroy 5-D constructs".

When we first indexed a character that ended up lower than the conventional 11-C definition, we didn't add Low 11-C or tier 12, we changed the definition of 11-C from "0-D" to "0-D or lower".

So, no, how many characters land there is one of the primary considerations of tiers.
I mean, I just don't think the concept of 1-B could be merged with something else lol. To merge finite dimensions with infinite dimensions, or to merge quantum mechanic cosmologies with every higher finite amount of dimensions seems pretty strange.

Do you think so?

Well, I mean, in that case, not only is "12-D" not popular, but it having a tier by itself doesn't really make much sense to me. What was the basis for it in the first place?

I mean personally I'd revise the entirety of Tier 1 if I had made the tiering system...

Low 1-C would be strictly 5-D (Just the amount of 5-D characters honestly warrants this in my opinion. It's the catch-all tier for god beings that transcend their realities)
1-C would be 6-D to 9-D (Usually pretty rare dimensionality-wise)
High 1-C would be 10-D to 26-D (A lot of quantum mechanic cosmologies fall within this range. It's a pretty big gap but it makes sense imo. Maybe you could split it somehow, but I still think this makes more sense than cutting off at 11-D)
1-B would be 26-D+
High 1-B would be Aleph-0-D
High 1-B+ would be Aleph-1-D up to any whatever the **** cardinality of dimensions (The amount of verses that actually make a distinction between infinite dimensions and higher-cardinalities of dimensions is probably incredibly limited, so it's probably fair to merge this all together)
Low 1-A would be a collection of all dimensions and space and math whatever you want to call it. Type IV Multiverse. Absolute Infinity. Von Neumann Universe.

After that I guess it's just the ultima stuff.

1-A is existential/ontological/qualitative superiority (relative to the concept of space) and hierarchies of said existential superiority (An example being chains of reality-fiction differences, like in Umineko or the SCP Foundation).
High 1-A is a form of superiority that is ontologically beyond even existential superiorities in the same way that form of superiority is superior to space. Every "layer" of High 1-A would then be another superior system of transcendence. With each one having its own, potentially endless hierarchy of layers as well.
0 is, of course, beyond all systems, superiorities, qualities, quantities, etc. Basically logical omnipotence or negative theology, I guess...
I like it though I am too sleepy to understand what high 1-A means,

Tohou project is one
DT is literally a supporter, its going into tier 1 without any second thoughts
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Oh, sorry. You were serious? In that case, let me laugh even harder.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Last edited:
I mean, I just don't think the concept of 1-B could be merged with something else lol. To merge finite dimensions with infinite dimensions, or to merge quantum mechanic cosmologies with every higher finite amount of dimensions seems pretty strange.

Do you think so?
Not really, if not many verses actually utilised "quantum mechanic cosmologies", we wouldn't really need a term for it. Hell, idk how many verses which land in those tiers now actually do because of quantum mechanics.

Similarly, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a tier break at 196,884-D, if a bunch of verses had cosmologies based on the monster group, as SCP once did.
Griess constructed M as the automorphism group of the Griess algebra, a 196,884-dimensional commutative nonassociative algebra over the real numbers
Well, I mean, in that case, not only is "12-D" not popular, but it having a tier by itself doesn't really make much sense to me. What was the basis for it in the first place?
It was a tier for encompassing or lying just outside of quantum mechanic cosmologies.

I mean personally I'd revise the entirety of Tier 1 if I had made the tiering system...

Low 1-C would be strictly 5-D (Just the amount of 5-D characters honestly warrants this in my opinion. It's the catch-all tier for god beings that transcend their realities)
1-C would be 6-D to 9-D (Usually pretty rare dimensionality-wise)
High 1-C would be 10-D to 26-D (A lot of quantum mechanic cosmologies fall within this range. It's a pretty big gap but it makes sense imo. Maybe you could split it somehow, but I still think this makes more sense than cutting off at 11-D)
1-B would be 26-D+
High 1-B would be Aleph-0-D
High 1-B+ would be Aleph-1-D up to any whatever the **** cardinality of dimensions (The amount of verses that actually make a distinction between infinite dimensions and higher-cardinalities of dimensions is probably incredibly limited, so it's probably fair to merge this all together)
Low 1-A would be a collection of all dimensions and space and math whatever you want to call it. Type IV Multiverse. Absolute Infinity. Von Neumann Universe.

After that I guess it's just the ultima stuff.

1-A is existential/ontological/qualitative superiority (relative to the concept of space) and hierarchies of said existential superiority (An example being chains of reality-fiction differences, like in Umineko or the SCP Foundation).
High 1-A is a form of superiority that is ontologically beyond even existential superiorities in the same way that form of superiority is superior to space. Every "layer" of High 1-A would then be another superior system of transcendence. With each one having its own, potentially endless hierarchy of layers as well.
0 is, of course, beyond all systems, superiorities, qualities, quantities, etc. Basically logical omnipotence or negative theology, I guess...
Well I'll be damned, that was beautiful.

Does the Cthulhu mythos have R>f? If so, can its R>f meet the requirements for the revision discussed now?
I do not think Cthulhu Mythos has R>F, but it certainly has ontological/existential superiority, which is qualitative superiority. Even Ultimate Gods and Hypnos couldn't be more blatantly superior to space and time at every level. Lovecraft even uses terms like "Archetypal Infinity" which is very clearly just his absolute interpretation of "infinity" as a concept. And things surpass that.

Effectively it's the same thing as R>F, and there's many levels of that. I think CM has a chance at being Tier 0, even. Yog-Sothoth is supposed to be an encompassment of everything that is, including all qualities and archetypes and everything.

Veldanava and Arcues I'm sure, but what make MGK relevant? Just asking, I'm just confused.
Bro, most of them have already been bombed not just they.

Don't think that the TD, R>F and BDE requirements in the current system will be the same in this system. They will be much more difficult, much more specific and apply to much rarer situations.

That reminds me that, ontological superiority isn't really defined or given requirements on the wiki.
It's just a vague way to describe transcendence not of a dimensional nature (like instead of 4-D 5-D etc it'd just be higher planes of existence with various superiorities like being above concepts of lower plane or viewing lower plane as fiction)

It's just a vague way to describe transcendence not of a dimensional nature (like instead of 4-D 5-D etc it'd just be higher planes of existence with various superiorities like being above concepts of lower plane or viewing lower plane as fiction)
No.

Ontological superiority involves being more real/fundamental. It's not just "everything that isn't dimensional".

I think it's pretty self-explanatory. It refers to when something is intrinsically, fundamentally superior in nature to something else. Rather than it being some kind of quantifiable or easily definable gap in nature, the nature itself is simply superior to the nature of something else.

So if you are ontologically superior to space, it means your nature is fundamentally superior to space.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty self-explanatory. It refers to when something is intrinsically, fundamentally superior in nature to something else. Rather than it being some kind of quantifiable or easily definable gap in nature, the nature itself is simply superior to the nature of something else.

So if you are ontologically superior to space, it means your nature is fundamentally superior to space.
Terrible definition. By this argument, it would supersede omnipotence, since omnipotence is easy to define.

Terrible definition. By this argument, it would supersede omnipotence, since omnipotence is easy to define.
Yeah, "easily definable" doesn't make much sense there. You could take that out. I meant it in a different way, but I think I got the main point across.

Not everyone is omnipotent nor can we quantify omnipotence simply because we define it as one thing or another. So it doesn't really go against what was being said. The definition is sublime but it's scratching the surface of what beings are in nature to be superior to something.

Back