• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The commoners thread: Discussing Ultima's "On the Many, Many Incoherences of the Tiering System"

My reaction to that information (I'm literally the volcano head guy)
All I'm hearing is that Goku solos and that Swirl of the root is Tier 0.

Y'all would have to elaborate more on that cuz I don't get it. Make a page explaining Tier 0 for dummies when time comes.
It's very easy to understand.

Let me ask you a question, do you think God is omnipotent?

If you say yes. Then you are wrong, God isn't omnipotent. He is beyond omnipotent.

"That- doesn't makes any sense isn't it?"

Yes, you are right. In the beginning- if you can even makes sense of God, then it is not God.

There was a saying in Daoism, "If you understand the Dao, then it is not Dao." God never never was meant to be understood, because he is beyond the attributes of "understanding".

And because "Omnipotent" is an attribute, a concept. And you cannot attributes any concept to God, because he is completely beyond any attributes and concept.

God is not all-knowing, he is not omnipotent neither he is all-mighty.

Because he is beyond such concepts.

No amount of greatest and marvelous words in any languages can describe God.

Because he will never be described by anyone or even anything, even the word "God" itself is not truly "Him". Because "God" is an attribute, and in truth "He" is beyond "God".

Tldr, God is beyond any concept. And can't be described by any concept.

And that how you reach tier 0.

It's very easy to understand.

Let me ask you a question, do you think God is omnipotent?

If you say yes. Then you are wrong, God isn't omnipotent. He is beyond omnipotent.

"That- doesn't makes any sense isn't it?"

Yes, you are right. In the beginning- if you can even makes sense of God, then it is not God.

There was a saying in Daoism, "If you understand the Dao, then it is not Dao." God never never was meant to be understood, because he is beyond the attributes of "understanding".

And because "Omnipotent" is an attribute, a concept. And you cannot attributes any concept to God, because he is completely beyond any attributes and concept.

God is not all-knowing, he is not omnipotent neither he is all-mighty.

Because he is beyond such concepts.

No amount of greatest and marvelous words in any languages can describe God.

Because he will never be described by anyone or even anything, even the word "God" itself is not truly "Him". Because "God" is an attribute, and in truth "He" is beyond "God".

Tldr, God is beyond any concept. And can't be described by any concept.

And that how you reach tier 0.
Bro Tier 0 just is Omnipotence. No point in overcomplicating it.

Kek, no need for negative theology then?
A form of negative theology is embedded into the definition of Tier 0 because a being with all the properties I've listed (Undifferentiated, Uncaused, Unconditioned, etc) would indeed not be capable of being defined or described in direct fashion (Save by analogy, like I explained on the thread), but I think calling it "beyond omnipotence" is silly. I'd moreso define that state as omnipotence.

A form of negative theology is embedded into the definition of Tier 0 because a being with all the properties I've listed (Undifferentiated, Uncaused, Unconditioned, etc) would indeed not be capable of being defined or described in direct fashion (Save by analogy, like I explained on the thread), but I think calling it "beyond omnipotence" is silly. I'd moreso define that state as omnipotence.
I see.

Cause I honestly see "Omnipotent" as an attribute lol.

I see.

Cause I honestly see "Omnipotent" as an attribute lol.
Technically "Omnipotence" (Defined as "Limitless power") wouldn't really exist as a separate attribute within the Tier 0, since its utter undifferentiation would prevent it from having any such plurality within itself (So "Omnipotence," "Omnipresence," and whatever others would just be referring to one and the same thing). But that's less because it's "beyond omnipotence" and moreso because we can't conceive of omnipotence to begin with. So it's a distinction between "Our mental notion of Omnipotence as lesser beings" and "Omnipotence as it really is in-and-of-itself," not "Omnipotence" vs "Beyond omnipotence."

Technically "Omnipotence" (Defined as "Limitless power") wouldn't really exist as a separate attribute within the Tier 0, since its utter undifferentiation would prevent it from having any such plurality within itself (So "Omnipotence," "Omnipresence," and whatever others would just be referring to one and the same thing). But that's less because it's "beyond omnipotence" and moreso because we can't conceive of omnipotence to begin with. So it's a distinction between "Our mental notion of Omnipotence as lesser beings" and "Omnipotence as it really is in-and-of-itself," not "Omnipotence" vs "Beyond omnipotence."
So omnipotent in itself is already undifferentiated, so there's no need for such thing as "beyond omnipotence". And because we can't even comprehend the omnipotence itself.

I see.

If the change is made, I hope we are able to work out a fairly robust set of criteria for the new form of qualitative superiority in terms of what disqualifies it and what qualifies it, because otherwise it's going to be a nightmare trying to deal with the various attempts at leapfrogging to 1-A
But consider: Watching people fail will be really funny.

Also, apparently these revisions could make the Ainur in LoTR 1-A, and make Eru Tier 0 (I have no idea how he plans the latter but his mind is infinitely superior to mine so I'll let him cook).

That's honestly pretty hardcore.

If Anos simps try making him 1-A so help me.
If this passes literally every single verse with an existing QS layer that isn't dimensional in nature will attempt to argue that it is ontological. Any "higher existence" will be argued to be outerversal. For instance:

Outerverse level: Characters whose superiority over lesser realms is qualitative, rather than quantitative. This is to say that their transcendence over lower realms hinges on the very quality of their existence as opposed to mathematical quantities, and as such is completely beyond any and all extensions of the latter
I recall a very silly God of War upgrade that gave Athena qualitative superiority to the rest of the gods on the sole basis that she had ascended to a "higher existence" that was more powerful. Our standards require that it be infinitely so, and there was utterly no evidence to support it being infinite, but it was granted anyways and it was a hard fought battle to downgrade it back to where it should have been.

With wording like this, absent a more diverse set of criteria and disqualifiers, it's going to be an absolute shitshow. That doesn't mean the revision is bad, but we need to be specific.

I recall a very silly God of War upgrade that gave Athena qualitative superiority to the rest of the gods on the sole basis that she had ascended to a "higher existence" that was more powerful
mfw I am 1-A (I am a higher existence than a frog).

In any case: I have a very clear set of criteria in mind, already, which I've already expressed throughout the course of the main thread. Tier 0 isn't exactly the only thing I made a list of qualifiers for, after all.

If this gets accepted, one of two things is gonna happen:
  1. People will immediately begin flocking to CRTs to try and get their verse to 1-A
  2. No one's gonna do anything and it's just gonna be a waiting game of who's gonna make the first move

mfw I am 1-A (I am a higher existence than a frog).

In any case: I have a very clear set of criteria in mind, already, which I've already expressed throughout the course of the main thread. Tier 0 isn't exactly the only thing I made a list of qualifiers for, after all.
Actually, I want to ask about relation between NEP2 and R>F under your new tiering system proposal.

Will a 1-A characters be able to interact with a lower character who has NEP2 but they themselves dont nore have feats of interracting with it? Currently IIRC a higher level character needs evidence of NEP interaction to kill a lower being. Will that be the case here too or no?

In any case: I have a very clear set of criteria in mind, already, which I've already expressed throughout the course of the main thread.
The problem is I don't know where it is and I'm not really sure how to find it without needing to comb over a War & Peace-length argument. Ideally it should've been in the OP, but you didn't start that thread with the intention of it being a revision which is why it's more of a stream-of-consciousness blog post. It's not a knock on you, I'm just saying I don't really know what's going on and I wager most of the other people don't either. Like, you're well-liked enough that people are just going to agree regardless of whether they can actually make heads or tails of what the points of contention are or what the precise proposal is.

The problem is I don't know where it is and I'm not really sure how to find it without needing to comb over a War & Peace-length argument. Ideally it should've been in the OP, but you didn't start that thread with the intention of it being a revision which is why it's more of a stream-of-consciousness blog post.
I disagree with the "stream-of-consciousness" bit, but nevertheless: I am well aware of the issues with this, yes. Largely, I just don't see this as being as much of an issue as you do, since even the problems you listed above (The GoW Athena thing, for example) are ultimately problems that relate not much to the existing standards so much as to how they can be interpreted by users, and that interpretive gap is something you can never get rid of, not really.

Which is, in fact, related to something I point out often, which is that some people seem to be under the impression I am introducing wholly new concepts to the wiki, when the concepts themselves are the same. I am simply retiering them.

Actually, I want to ask about relation between NEP2 and R>F under your new tiering system proposal.

Will a 1-A characters be able to interact with a lower character who has NEP2 but they themselves dont nore have feats of interracting with it? Currently IIRC a higher level character needs evidence of NEP interaction to kill a lower being. Will that be the case here too or no?
Don't believe that would change, or need to change, no.

Which is, in fact, related to something I point out often, which is that some people seem to be under the impression I am introducing wholly new concepts to the wiki, when the concepts themselves are the same. I am simply retiering them.
Though this, by the by, is not to say nothing will change apart from the tiers. These proposals will certainly impact several abilities related to the higher tiers being addressed, and lead to a more thorough examination of them, too.

ultimately problems that relate not much to the existing standards so much as to how they can be interpreted by users, and that interpretive gap is something you can never get rid of, not really.
Right, but the interpretive gap can be mitigated to an extent by clarifying what elements are absolutely necessary. I struggle to see how, for instance, the quote of yours describing the new Outerverse level requires anything more than what Athena had.

If this gets accepted, one of two things is gonna happen:
  1. People will immediately begin flocking to CRTs to try and get their verse to 1-A
  2. No one's gonna do anything and it's just gonna be a waiting game of who's gonna make the first move
I'm definitely on the latter of #1, I already have three verses loaded and ready for this.

Right, but the interpretive gap can be mitigated to an extent by clarifying what elements are absolutely necessary. I struggle to see how, for instance, the quote of yours describing the new Outerverse level requires anything more than what Athena had.
That's because that description hinges on the user having an understanding of the things being talked about. And providing said understanding is, indeed, what pages like these are for. Everyone knows Reality-Fiction Transcendence as a concept, and everyone knows Beyond-Dimensional Existence as a concept, too (Save certain people who evidently don't know what they should know). So I don't believe the transition between Tiering Systems is cause for as much concern as you think it would be.

And providing said understanding is, indeed, what pages like these are for. Everyone knows Reality-Fiction Transcendence as a concept
Well of course, but R>F is a very straightforward concept. Not that it can't be muddy at times (anything can be muddy under muddy circumstances) but I'm looking for more of a concrete answer with regard to non-R>F qualitative superiority. How do we distinguish between a higher existence that is QS and one that isn't? Like, specifically?

I have like, one verse in mind, but I have absolutely no idea when I'd push for it if Ultima's thread passes

since we're basically changing the tier whatever qualities and principles to follow for tierring such hopefully gets reflected on tierring explanation page

atm its mostly just math math math (rip math)
it would need more stuff in it like linking R>F transcendence page or explanation for ontological and dimensionality superiority as more detailed explanations

Well of course, but R>F is a very straightforward concept. Not that it can't be muddy at times (anything can be muddy under muddy circumstances) but I'm looking for more of a concrete answer with regard to non-R>F qualitative superiority. How do we distinguish between a higher existence that is QS and one that isn't? Like, specifically?
The fact something as nebulous as "higher existence" (Judging by the Athena example you gave) is seriously in the domain of discourse for these things is a bit concerning, frankly, since it doesn't (Or at least, shouldn't) fly even in the current system. I think the question is ill-formed because you shouldn't need to distinguish between cases at all when the object of discussion is something so vague. It should just be rejected on sight.

Overall, as I see it, R>F and BDE are pretty much the two categories that fully exhaust 1-A, to the point you can say the two have the exact same essence and only differ in presentation. If you don't fall under the presentation of R>F, you'll fall under Type 2 BDE. I don't really know of any 1-A or potential 1-A that doesn't just find its place in that dynamic. And for BDE I believe we, of course, already got standards.

Bruhh, why is this suddenly about Athena? R>F has not been attempted in any way with the statements we have, and there is no R>F citation anyway. There's only one thing to try, and I'm already trying this.
If Anos simps try making him 1-A so help me.
I don't know what the future standards will be, but other things like BDE, R>F and TD may change.

So more specific requirements and statements may be added to qualify for these things that not everyone can have. That will be one of the things already added to tier 0. Of course, I don't know what Ultima says about that.

Back