• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Terraria: Pervasive Speed and AP Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assaltwaffle

VS Battles
Retired
Well, this is actually a bit bigger than I thought. Looks like we have a lot to cover.

Speed

First off, why does he only have one speed key? Considering the bosses supposedly move at near lightning speed, yet he is MFTL, he would blitz everyone into oblivion. But there probably won't stick anyway.

1. Starfuriously Assuming: "MFTL, likely MFTL+" speed for the Starfury being able to call down stars. This assumes that the Statfury's "stars" are meteors and that they come from space, or even the asteroid belt. Since this has two assumptions I'll cover both of those.

1a. The Sky is Falling... Stars: The stars in Terraria are not normal meteors. The stars are magical in nature, and once enough are gathered they can forged into a Mana Crystal to nourish the Terrarian's Magical Aptitude. They look nothing like real meteors either, but that could just be an art style... if meteors didn't exist in the game elsewhere. But they do; meteors exist and fall in Terraria. When a meteor falls, it demolishes the surrounding area and fills it with burning-to-the-touch meteor ore. This kind of meteor is clearly also magical, as evidenced by the fact that Meteor Heads come to it, but it functions far more like a normal meteor, looks like a meteor, and in no way resembles a Fallen Star outside of the fact that it falls from above.

The Starfury, while not using the exact same color of Falling Star, still uses magical stars as the projectile, and thus no speed is quantifiable for this.

1b. Coming in Hot: The next assumption is that the "stars" not only are true meteors, but they also come from the asteroid belt. Fact that there is no calculation link to this notwithstanding, the assumption that the stars come from the asteroid belt comes from... nowhere. That's right, there is absolutely zero citation for this, nor reason to believe it. Meteors exist in and fall around Earth's atmosphere all the time; they just burn up. If the Starfury doesn't just make the stars to drop them (which would make sense, considering they are magical), it could easily grab them from the near-orbit atmosphere or anywhere near Earth, really. Such a pulling wouldn't even break FTL speeds, such less MFTL to MFTL+.

So of all the options, this assumption uses the highest one for seemingly no evident reason. This option is not the most logical, and in fact it not only is the most inflated, but makes the largest logical leaps.

TLDR: Starfury doesn't use real meteors, rather magical stars, and/or doesn't pull stars from a significant distance away from Earth, resulting in MFTL to MFTL+ being completely unjustified.

2. Shocking Speeds: Another fallback speed comes from the Tesla Coil. This is used in all of the early game boss calculations, which I shall cover in my AP section shortly. This Tesla Coil is never said to move at lightning speed (440,000 m/s), and a real Tesla Coil moves at vastly slower speeds; with a high-speed camera one can observe the movement of a Tesla Coil bolt, even at close range. At the same slowdown speeds, lightning still appears near-instant despite the distance traveled being thousands of times greater.

The Tesla Turret also does not even function like a Tesla Coil. The Tesla Turret fires off a small projectile that flies forward in a straight line. It doesn't arc off to targets, home in on players outside of its original flight path, or have a continual bolt of electricity. It's just a wee lil' electricity peanut. However, it does apply a debuff that causes paralysis and functions somewhat like static electricity, so it probably is real electricity, just not lightning.

In addition, we just had our Lightning Speed standards tightened, and this Tesla Coil meets none of those standards. Thus it does not show the 440,000 m/s value by real life standards, nor our standards for lightning.

Attack Potency

The AP of the characters early comes from gauging KE from the previously calculated lightning speed and mass of the enemies. That is interesting. Next, it goes to Island level because of the Ancient Spirits of Light and Darkness, which are capable of warping Terraria. Another good one. The next is Multi-Continent level coming from the three mech bosses... which prevent solar eclipses. Oi. Then Moon level for Plantera being stronger than all three mech bosses put together. Mhmm. Onto Dwarf Star level for moving the Moon closer. This one actually isn't that bad... Then the king of all of these: Galaxy level for a nebula fragment "containing the power of the galaxy." Oh. Welp, let's go!

1. Town level+ from the King Slime. Like I mentioned before, this Tesla Turret doesn't operate like normal electricity, and operate nothing like lightning. This rating is just unjustified.

2. Small City level from the Eater of Worlds. Invalid for the same reasons as before, and doesn't work scaling wise. We don't say "hey this guy is stronger than this other guy, so he rolls over to the next tier." It doesn't work like this, even with the "+" sign. We can't make exceptions for Terraria. Wherever the King Slim/Eye of Cthulu ends up, this guy and all the ones that scale to him follow down.

3. Small Island level from the Queen Bee. Once again, the scaling here isn't what we do. We can't say "This guy is weaker than this other guy, so he is a tier below him." It doesn't work like that, and "at least" is around for a reason. Speaking of that other guy...

4. Island level from the Ancient Spirits of Light and Darkness. These two corrupt or transform the Terraria world, and are Island level for it. Two things wrong here: size assumption being... odd and the actual AP for it.

4a. Size Matters: The Terraria world has mountains and all that good stuff, but we really have absolutely no idea how large it is, so I guess it go ballbarked as island sized. But the fact that it has "several mountains" wouldn't make it island level, it would just be around Large Mountain level, and that is assuming they destroyed it alone. Which they don't; they don't do it alone, the two spirits are two. And more importantly, they don't destroy it.

4b. It's not even a flesh wound: The Terraria world is never destroyed, only changed. The Spirit of Darkness spreads the Corruption/Crimson, and the Spirit of Light spreads the Hallow. But they don't even change the entire place into it, they create a V-shape which expands outward over time and/or with player interference. And, mainly, changing the area into a more holy/corrupt location is NOT AP. Changing things on contact or with your influence is some interesting hax, but does not translate to AP in any way, shape or form.

5. Multi-Continent level from The Mechanical Bosses. So, these guys can prevent the occurrence of a solar eclipse, which is Moon level, right? Not exactly. So, two things are wrong here.

5a. The Dawn Shall Never Rise: The Solar Eclipse in Terraria was claimed to be a FTL occurrence caused by... something... and thus the ones who "prevent" it, the Mech bosses, scale to just Moon level (divided by three) since FTL KE cannot be quantified. But... this isn't FTL KE. In Terraria, there is a 5% chance that the day will be a Solar Eclipse. The Solar Eclipse doesn't fly out of nowhere, it is an occurrence that is normal. Of course it can be triggered manually using the Solar Tablet, but that comes much later in the game and scales to literally no one.

5b. Get Behind me, Solar Eclipse!: The Three Mech Bosses have no role in preventing a solar eclipse from happening. They do not release something that causes the eclipse (the Wall of Flesh contained the Ancient Spirits, so at least he shows that he can stop what the Spirits cause), and are in absolutely no way related to the solar eclipse outside of game progression. To say that they stopped this solar eclipse (which, once again, isn't a FTL KE thing) is completely dubious and based outside of any reason beyond game mechanics. Just because "you have to beat them to get to the eclipse" does not mean that they stop it, unless they are related in some way; it is called game progression. The Dragon Priest is not stronger than Alduin because Alduin comes after him. No game boss is stronger than the next occurrence in the game because they come before unless it is deliberately stated or hinted that they have a role in preventing it, which the Mech Bosses have none of.

6. Moon level from Plantera. So Plantera is apparently three times stronger than a mech boss, or as strong as all three put together. This just isn't true, and nothing implies it is outside of the progression of the game, which isn't a valid method of scaling.

7. Dwarf Star level from the Celestial Towers. So, they moved the Moon closer to Earth with a fraction of their powers. Except nothing implies it was with a "fraction of their powers" outside of that the crafting recipe for the Solar Monolith] doesn't use the full number of Solar Fragments dropped by the Solar Tower; I hope it can be seen why this doesn't make much sense as an assumption, unless we use building recipes in crafting games as scaling now.Assuming the timeframe of this one is not viable. The Calculatio assumes that the Moon-moving caused by the Solar Monolith occurs in 3 seconds. Why? The same second that the Monolith is activated, the sky changes. It is a transition,as seen here, and the Moon can literally still be seen in its original position while this "new Moon position" is in-place. So no, this is not quantifiable outside of moving the Moon. That said, moving the Moon at any decent place can basically be called Moon level, which is in line with the Moon Lord. Speaking of which, the original fight was going to be the literal Moon before the devs scrapped it, so that is more implication for Moon level, although that is super shaky and not valid on its own.

8. Galaxy level from the Celestial Towers. More specifically, the Nebula Tower. The Nebula Tower drops Nebula Fragments, which have the Tooltip of "The power of a galaxy resides within this fragment." The Tower can drop 90 of these, so that means it has 90x the power of a galaxy, right? Nope. (This isn't meant to be insulting or anything, I just love it and wanted to use it somewhere) But, with that done, there are three reasons this can be invalid.

8a. Hello Hyperbole my Old Friend: So this one can just go ahead and be thrown out there. How does "power of a galaxy" not sound hyperbolic? This is, almost verbatim, the "I have all the power in the world" trope statement, but on a galactic level. Not to mention if we are treating the Celestial Fragments as gospel, we need 3-A Terraria since the Solar Fragment holds the Fury of the entire universe. Also, make that 90x baseline universe level, too. Wait, what...

8b. Mind if I roll Need?: The fact that the characters are 90x baseline level comes from the fact that the drop table of the Nebula Pillar on expert mode has the slight chance of giving 90 fragments. So because the drop table of a video game monster on a specific difficulty setting allows the dropping of 90x an item, they have the power of 90x that item? Absolute what? This is the second largest abuse of game mechanics I have ever seen on this site, and it is ridiculous that it is accepted.

8c. Watt are you, insane?: Having the "power of a galaxy" =/= having the power to destroy a galaxy. "Power" can be described as anything, and the "power of a galaxy" can come from the power to destroy all matter/stars in it (4-B), or, better yet, the wattage of all stars in the galaxy put together. This is a direct power output that a galaxy would indeed generate without being obscenely ambiguous. Assuming the average star releases an equal wattage to the Sun (which it wouldn't since most stars are Main Sequence M Class Dwarves, and are far smaller and weaker than the Sun), which is 3.846×10^26 watts, multiplying that by 100,000,000,000 (the number of stars in the galaxy) gives you the highball of 3.846x10^37 watts. Nice and Large Planet level. And that still assumes that the first point about hyperbole is wrong, which I doubt.

Edit: According to RRTheEndMan, a galaxy produces 6.8387x10^36 watts, so it is indeed lower than the found amount above, albeit still 5-A.

Range

1. The "millions of kilometers" range relies on the Starfury, which is debunked above.

Lifting Strength

1. When is it ever implied that the Terrarian can pull down the Moon? Defeating the Moon Lord/Celestial Towers is not evidence or implication of such a strength feat.

Powers and Abilities

1. Soul Manipulation: When has the Terrarian killed non-corporeals or souls? None of the enemies encountered in the game display such characteristics.

2. Resistance to Time Manipulation: He resists his own attack/construct. Doesn't it go without saying that if you speed up/slow down time that you don't resist it? You're causing it; it doesn't happen against you. Also: literally everything in the game "resists" this. Nothing gets super-sped up while the Enchanted Sundial is doing its thing, not would resisting a time speed-up mean you can resist a time slow or time stop, even if this was legit, which it isn't.

3. Power Nullification: From what and how does it function? No explanation here. Not saying it doesn't exist, since I could see that out of Terraria, but there is no explanation.

4. Summoning: He totally does have Summoning, but not in way described. While it is true that you can Summon bosses, they fight against you. While it should be an indexed power, it needs to be noted that the bosses he summons do NOT fight for him. He does, however, have legitimate summoning through various summoning items.

5. Matter Manipulation: Comes from the Drill Mount. Not only is the a wicken headcanon, but it isn't one that is even implied or supported. The Drill Mount shoots out a beam that breaks a block of matter. Not only is that not combat applicable, it is not matter manipulation. It doesn't dissolve the block, it just breaks it and allows for pickup, just like every other pickaxe in the game.

Conclusion

That just about covers it. I know this is a lot, but there are a lot of issues here. Try to give it a real read-over before agreeing or disagreeing with me, because a lot is addressed in this post.

TLDR: There is none. Way too much here to TLDR. This thing is 2500 words. I could have written an essay in the time it took to write this...

I'd like to note, Wraiths or Meteor Heads are probably the non-corporeals they're referring to. On the other hand, both of the above can be shot by the Guide with a completely average bow, or blown up with grenades, so I really doubt it counts.

Edwardtruong2006 said:
Every single one except the Snow Golem one.

Cuz 9-B is staying I presume.
Well that is assuming literally everything here goes through, which I doubt.

I personally do think my arguments are solid, but some of the stuff here is interpretation and may not be accepted.

I'm not super familiar with Terraria, but what I can say is, from what's been provided, the pretty much all of the AP stuff seems pretty sketchy, to say the least.

Even if you assume the galaxy thing is referring to the mass energy of galaxies, it'd still only be 4-A.

@RRTheEndMan

I'm not saying "my hour count is bigger than yours." I'm saying that I have enough hours in the material to know what I am talking about. I'm not going to say someone with less hours can't know Terraria, and that is not what I was implying at all; I just want to show that I genuinely do love the game and I am knowledgeable about it.

It's still not a good argument to even bring up. I have almost as much hours as you and I'm by no means an expert on the series, I just play it a lot. (side note: Age of Mythology? Good taste my friend)

I don't really have much to say. I think the 5-A calc is probably more reliable than the High 5-A one with the moon movement thing though. Neutral on the rest.

@Assalt the lifting strenght come form the lunal hook descriptio, which implies that this item is powerfull enought to pull down the moon, probably a hiperbole tho

for soul manipulation the terrarian can kill the Dungeon Spirits, who are souls, even dropping ectoplasm when killed

@Triforce

The Sans lock, yes. And it was deemed to not work on anyone outside of the Undertale verse, so using it in battles is no longer an option.

@Overlord

Well ghosts that use Ectoplasm have corporeal bodies. They are made out of something, albeit unnatural, and can be physically interacted with. Ectoplasm being dispersed or destroyed is not the same thing as killing a soul.

RRTheEndMan said:
Lost souls.
The projectile of the Spectre Staff? Which looks nothing look the Dungeon Spirit and cannot be interacted with? Or is there another Lost Soul I am forgetting?

Assaltwaffle said:
1. Soul Manipulation: When has the Terrarian killed non-corporeals or souls? None of the enemies encountered in the game display such characteristics.
There are Ghosts and Wraiths that fly through tiles to reach the player, though I'm not sure if this characteristic is enough for them to qualify as non-corporeal considering even copper shortswords can damage them (albeit not very well).

Passing the through tiles can be done by the Animated Weaponry, Meteor Heads, as we'll a super numerous projectiles. Intangible? Sure. Soul? I don't exactly thing so.

Lunar Flare has the exact same problems as the Starfury, but even more since there is no such thing as a "lunar flare" in real life. This basically assures that they are magical constructs, not real projectiles sent from space.

Still Last Prism could be considered SoL and Terrarian dodges it via belt.

And actually what's the timeframe for those stars falling? 'Cause pretty sure they are MHS

I'm fine with him being SoL with the Black Belt.

Also my whole point is we have absolutely zero idea where those stars come from, and they only move slightly faster than an arrow in-game.

@Overlord

Considering all the current early AP comes from comparison of in-game speed, my point is perfectly valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back