• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sword Art Online General Discussion/Q&A Thread #4

Hi, new here, was interested in trying to get a feat scaled that occurs later in the novels. Just wanted to confirm some information for it. In this picture, is the Western Imperial Palace meant to be in the section of Centoria that's facing the rocky mountains in the top left of the picture? And is it meant to be the building that's next to the walls surrounding the Axiom Church.
That would be correct, yes.

Just to clarify, the western palace was not "evaporated", it was burned down by Fanatio's Heaven Piercing Blade. They had to clear the rubble left behind for damage assessment, which would not be needed if it had just gone and vanished in the form of "evaporation".

Fanatio’s Memory Release arts completely burned down West Centoria’s Imperial Palace…It took them three months to clear the rubble, so if Emperor Aldares’s body was buried under there, it would have dissolved into sacred power long before the castle was cleared away. - SAOv20: Moon Cradle (II), Chapter 10

Just to clarify, the western palace was not "evaporated", it was burned down by Fanatio's Heaven Piercing Blade. They had to clear the rubble left behind for damage assessment, which would not be needed if it had just gone and vanished in the form of "evaporation".
If I remember correctly (and the Wiki + pics seems to confirm it) the building are made of stone. You can't set stone on fire, so it being burned to the ground would seem to suggest the attack did in fact melt through the stone walls, rather than set the palace on fire. I'm not stating it melted/vaporized all of the palace (it could potentially do that I think with a few more memory releases, but it's not like Fanatio needed to evaporate the whole). However, since it's using the phrase "burned to the ground", that seems to suggest it was an attack that penetrated throughout the entire building, causing the rest of it to collapse, or else there'd be some mention of other parts of it still standing. We also see that Fanatio's attack is able to melt through the stone (made from the same material as the Everlasting Walls) within the Axiom Church which is of far greater quality than the stone used for these Imperial Palaces adding further doubt to the idea that it couldn't penetrate through the entirety of the building. Also, if this was how it happened, it would still leave the stone she didn't hit with her attack as rubble. Given that they said it was burned to ground I was going with a number like 50%, because it's suggesting that most of the building was brought down by the her attack melting through the stone, rather than the collapse that followed. Hope that clears up my reasoning.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly (and the Wiki + pics seems to confirm it) the building are made of stone. You can't set stone on fire, so it being burned to the ground would seem to suggest the attack did in fact melt through the stone walls, rather than set the palace on fire. I'm not stating it melted/vaporized all of the palace (it could potentially do that I think with a few more memory releases, but it's not like Fanatio needed to evaporate the whole). However, since it's using the phrase "burned to the ground", that seems to suggest it was an attack that penetrated throughout the entire building, causing the rest of it to collapse, or else there'd be some mention of other parts of it still standing. We also see that Fanatio's attack is able to melt through the stone (made from the same material as the Everlasting Walls) within the Axiom Church which is of far greater quality than the stone used for these Imperial Palaces adding further doubt to the idea that it couldn't penetrate through the entirety of the building. Also, if this was how it happened, it would still leave the stone she didn't hit with her attack as rubble. Given that they said it was burned to ground I was going with a number like 50%, because it's suggesting that most of the building was brought down by the her attack melting through the stone, rather than the collapse that followed. Hope that clears up my reasoning.
That is a lot of assumptions that are being made there, without any citation.

That is a lot of assumptions that are being made there, without any citation.
It's rather common knowledge that Stone is inflammable. So that really just leaves melting/vaporization.

TpZN9gB.png

Here it is being mentioned to melt through the same materials that made the Everlasting Walls. Mind you, this is very surprising to them, given its high quality and self regeneration. I don't see why it wouldn't be able to melt through regular stone without any resistance. Also again, the mention of being "burned to the ground" suggests that no matter how it occurred, the entire building should be reduced to rubble at most 1 story high after all the destruction. A fire wouldn't be able to cause stone to collapse like that. Ergo, it has to be from the Memory Release of the sword.

Thats just arguing semantics at this point. So let's argue semantics properly.

Fanatio's HPB did not "melt" the cathedral objects. It literally made them explode. What was left "molten" was literally the hole left by the explosion that is in the very previous sentence.

"Melting" and "Burning down" are the same thing. One is slower and requires a change of state, that's it.

It wasn't the kind of stone that would melt from a simple fire
So stones do melt, not "evaporate". But as shown in previous sentences, they literally explode due to the heat the Heaven Piercing Blade inflicts upon them, as indicated by the literal "explosion" that happened upon contact.

Which is the next point in this semantics. Stone is not end all be all against fire. It doesn't "burn" the same way wood does. It still is affected by extreme heat, cracking, crumbling, exploding.

Also, Imperial Palace's are not pure marble buildings like the Central Cathedral. They are not log houses either, but they are normal buildings. If "stone doesn't burn" was an excuse, fire would be a lot less of a hazard even in our real lives, especially in Mediterranean regions where houses are made of stone due to acting as good isolation against hot summer days. Stone structures burn just fine due to everything else involved in their construction and decoration.

Factor in Fanatio's HPB causing massive explosions on the facades it makes contact with, because the stone cannot take the heat, you got yourself your huge pile of rubble that takes 3 months to clear up.
A fire wouldn't be able to cause stone to collapse like that. Ergo, it has to be from the Memory Release of the sword.
I dont understand, are you claiming it evaporated, or are you claiming the Heaven Piercing Blade just manually and carefully deconstructed the estate?

Thats just arguing semantics at this point. So let's argue semantics properly.

Fanatio's HPB did not "melt" the cathedral objects. It literally made them explode. What was left "molten" was literally the hole left by the explosion that is in the very previous sentence.
Just focusing on this part for now. So to start with, even if I accept that distinction, causing the explosion that causes the melting would still be a feat for the sword, as it produced the energy necessary for that phenomena to occur. Though later, when Fanatio fires a stronger variant of her attack it just gouges a hole straight through the stone rather than any mention of an explosion. There's also no mention of molten, liquid stone inside of it, so it should have just been evaporated. It's a stronger attack, so that would be the simplest explanation for the difference.
vh0tnlV.png

Just focusing on this part for now.
Focus on the rest too. It was a collective and logical step by step process to nudge you towards a consistent answer rather than arguing semantics, which is what you need to start actually working off of. It was why I ended it with this;
I dont understand, are you claiming it evaporated, or are you claiming the Heaven Piercing Blade just manually and carefully deconstructed the estate?
You claim Fanatio just gouged a huge hole in the building and the structural integrity became so bad that the building collapsed and how a fire cannot do such damage. Whereas the building is literally told to have "burned down". You claim stone buildings cannot be burned down, when they can, because the are not pure marble carved our of a mountain. I literally provided a potential answer for you, in the form of the heat from the attack causing stone to become volatile and explode as a result, but you decided to go back to complete "evaporation" which threw you back to internal inconsistencies.

Once again, I recommend taking things step by step and coming up with a concrete act first that is coherent throughout what is said and mentioned, rather than taking a single sentence and extrapolating it to the entire series. That is the biggest problem that transpires in places like these.

Hey, Kaantantr do you know how we could get a scale of the Central Cathedral? I know it's based off of Aincrad with 100 floors but I want to find out its dimensions and I don't know if they may be around somewhere.

It is not at all based on Aincrad. That was just Kirito hearing "100 Floors" and going "Ah, you gotta be ******** me..."

On the top of my mind, there's likely not a good way of gauging the scale of the building. I distinctly remember Floor 50 having quite the descriptive dimensions, but that's just the hall itself. And being a special floor, it is not representative of the remaining floors either.

It is not at all based on Aincrad. That was just Kirito hearing "100 Floors" and going "Ah, you gotta be ******** me..."

On the top of my mind, there's likely not a good way of gauging the scale of the building. I distinctly remember Floor 50 having quite the descriptive dimensions, but that's just the hall itself. And being a special floor, it is not representative of the remaining floors either.
I remember there being a scene where Kirito estimated that each floor was about 6 meters tall, so approximating it at 600 meters shouldn't be an issue.

Focus on the rest too. It was a collective and logical step by step process to nudge you towards a consistent answer rather than arguing semantics, which is what you need to start actually working off of. It was why I ended it with this;
You're shotgunning. It's better to focus on individual points when debunking something.
You claim Fanatio just gouged a huge hole in the building and the structural integrity became so bad that the building collapsed and how a fire cannot do such damage. Whereas the building is literally told to have "burned down". You claim stone buildings cannot be burned down, when they can, because the are not pure marble carved our of a mountain. I literally provided a potential answer for you, in the form of the heat from the attack causing stone to become volatile and explode as a result, but you decided to go back to complete "evaporation" which threw you back to internal inconsistencies.
PzqVbid.png

kqHc2Nt.png

tEcoQRn.png

Here are some examples of stone structures being subjected to fires. As you can see. While the interiors are almost completely destroyed, the facades of the house still stand. That's why I said it couldn't be just a simple fire. Or else those walls should still remain. Heat can damage the integrity of stone, but stone is also a poor thermal conductor. Fires aren't hot enough to cause immediate failure in the integrity. Say what you will about the exterior of the houses and how damaged they are, but I cannot imagine anyone legitimately calling them rubble, or that the structure has been burned to the ground.
Once again, I recommend taking things step by step and coming up with a concrete act first that is coherent throughout what is said and mentioned, rather than taking a single sentence and extrapolating it to the entire series. That is the biggest problem that transpires in places like these.
Vaporization would be consistent. It's just a question of how much is vaporized. An explosion as the one described could legitimately be vaporization. It vaporized some amount of marble molecules, those molecules then violently exploded into a gas with an intense release of heat, which caused the melting described. It's just so fast we aren't going to see it described that way.

Do you have a link to the scene or the quote?
gw3o989.png

Had a bit of trouble finding it, because I forgot they decided to translate meters to feet, but 20 feet is approximately 6 meters. He does mention the odd height of the fiftieth floor, but even with that outlier, just a simple approximation of 600 meters for the height of the entire structure seems reasonable, and is more of a lowball.

You're shotgunning. It's better to focus on individual points when debunking something.
Focus on the "Entire building burned into a rubble that took 3 months to clean up" then. Because your claims and assumptions are not consistent with it, rather than claiming its entirely stone made structures, also featuring a generic "stone" in that equation. You assuming based on assumptions based on assumptions and so on and in the end come to a conclusion that does not fit the final description to begin with. A common plague across this board.

Also, you don't seem to realize your assumptions are the ones being debunked. You are not here to debunk me, you are here to defend your case by making it make sense based on the information known. The moment you contradict them, you are already in the wrong.

Also, the pictures you sent literally show "stone houses" that were burned down, so I am not sure what you were trying to say with them. The entire inside structure is in ruins, because that is where the actual hot fire is, where the outer facade is the only thing left somewhat standing because that's the contact point to the outside. As you can imagine, there is a bit of a difference between where it can get up to 1000+ degrees celcius, and where it still has contact to normal air to somewhat cool it off.
Had a bit of trouble finding it, because I forgot they decided to translate meters to feet, but 20 feet is approximately 6 meters. He does mention the odd height of the fiftieth floor, but even with that outlier, just a simple approximation of 600 meters for the height of the entire structure seems reasonable, and is more of a lowball.
Reminder that Floor 90 and above are pretty much all oddities barring the one or two floors we know nothing about. They also possess no clear information between Floor 50 - Floor Kirito slammed his sword into, and pretty questionable info starting when they got captured by Fizel and Linel and up to Floor 50, where all they did was listen to the kids and have their heads constantly slam the stairs all the way without even proper vision.

Focus on the "Entire building burned into a rubble that took 3 months to clean up" then. Because your claims and assumptions are not consistent with it, rather than claiming its entirely stone made structures, also featuring a generic "stone" in that equation.
I never said it was entirely stone, where you getting that? Do you think I believe that the palace is just a rectangular prism of marble that Fanatio vaporizes in an instant? Is that it? I even claimed originally that it was 50% of the structure and the rest collapsed afterwards due to the lack of structural integrity.
Also, you don't seem to realize your assumptions are the ones being debunked.
Oh, I see what happened. I said "You're shotgunning. It's better to focus on individual points when debunking something." And you thought the second sentence was what I was claiming to do. I was trying to give you advice on how to debunk an argument. You shouldn't introduce a bunch of points all at once. Focus on the strongest argument you have against something, and go with that. Otherwise these arguments get lost in tangents of tangents. I'm not dealing with that go somewhere else.
Also, the pictures you sent literally show "stone houses" that were burned down, so I am not sure what you were trying to say with them.
Their exteriors still remain. They aren't burned to the ground. You can say the interior is burned to the ground, but the house, as a whole, is not. Similarly, the palace itself, if burned to the ground, should not still have the walls standing.
The entire inside structure is in ruins, because that is where the actual hot fire is, where the outer facade is the only thing left somewhat standing because that's the contact point to the outside. As you can imagine, there is a bit of a difference between where it can get up to 1000+ degrees celcius, and where it still has contact to normal air to somewhat cool it off.
Yes, and the palace walls would also have its facades touching the air to cool it down. Yet it's described as being entirely "burned to the ground". So all of it should be collapsed, not even the facades of the palace should be standing at their original height.
Reminder that Floor 90 and above are pretty much all oddities barring the one or two floors we know nothing about. They also possess no clear information between Floor 50 - Floor Kirito slammed his sword into, and pretty questionable info starting when they got captured by Fizel and Linel and up to Floor 50, where all they did was listen to the kids and have their heads constantly slam the stairs all the way without even proper vision.
Yes, we have to use approximations sometimes, or else we can't scale. Kirito states that they're over 1500 feet (450 meters) high when they fall from the 80th floor. Which makes sense, using the 6 meter approximation, the 80th floor would be 1600 feet (480 meters) high, and they fell some distance, hence the description of over 1500. The very tip top would be 600 meters high by using that same scale. Reminder, this would still be an underestimate given the grand scale of some of the higher floors. So it would underestimate any feat that involves things that used it as a scale of measure, not overestimate. I don't see what your issue with using the approximate height for scaling purposes is.

@FleetingExistence Look man, I just wouldn't bother. Kaantantr wants the SAO characters to be as close to "peak human" as possible. He won't even accept Fanatio's own attack as actual light, and says that the characters just don't understand what it actually is.

I don't think this is the best place to argue this personally. Probably better for DMS or an actual CRT imo

@FleetingExistence Look man, I just wouldn't bother. Kaantantr wants the SAO characters to be as close to "peak human" as possible. He won't even accept Fanatio's own attack as actual light, and says that the characters just don't understand what it actually is.
That's strange, because their interpretation of it as being light from Solus is actually backed up by outside material. And this outside material wouldn't be subject to such a subjective misinterpretation.
I don't think this is the best place to argue this personally. Probably better for DMS or an actual CRT imo
I just want to get this feat scaled. I have to scale the feat first before I could ask for a content revision.

You shouldn't introduce a bunch of points all at once.
The single point introduced was "The building explicitly burned down". Your personal claims afterwards do not keep up, if they do not match this. It's not "Fanatio evaporated half the palace and the rest just toppled over".

should not still have the walls standing.
You keep going back and forth between "Do you think I said everything was stone" and "Everything was stone, so the outside should stay up".
Yet it's described as being entirely "burned to the ground".
I would describe the images you shared also as "burned to the ground". But again, this is all semantics. It's irrelevant how it was after being "burned down". What matters here it that it has "burned down", not "toppled over because a chunk of it went missing".
I don't see what your issue with using the approximate height for scaling purposes is.
There is not an issue. I was adding onto your "lowball" estimate there, that we do not know a majority of the floors and that there are plenty of floors that are much much larger than the standard.

You see, that's the second biggest mistake one usually does around here. Being so defensive against someone solely because they are being neutral in an argument and had arguments against you on a separate topic, that you think they are opposing you when they are not. Like this fella over here;
I don't care what you categorize things as. I'm solely here to prevent as much bullshit going through because the bullshit has a habit of going uncontrolled on the internet after being conjured.
because their interpretation of it as being light from Solus is actually backed up by outside material.

Can you elaborate on this outside material?

Can you elaborate on this outside material?
26xsGdZ.png

This one is from the official Alicization anime website, and states that Fanatio's sword shoots out rays of light.

dTEowXM.png

This one from the booklet included with the limited edition version of the anime mentions it shooting out unlimited beams of light.

WPILpPk.png

This last one is the most explicit about the nature of the sword, and it comes from a magazine published by Kadokawa. It states the Fanatio's sword uses the light of Solus for its attacks.

Ah same thing over and over, in universe description, without understanding how the universe functions on a fundamental level. I strongly recommend going through previous discussions on the topic.

Ah same thing over and over, in universe description, without understanding how the universe functions on a fundamental level. I strongly recommend going through previous discussions on the topic.
What are you talking about? These aren't in universe descriptions. These are sources outside the text describing the nature of the weapon.

What are you talking about? These aren't in universe descriptions. These are sources outside the text describing the nature of the weapon.
Kaantantr doesn't believe that the sword actually uses the light of Solus for its attack, but Luminous Element. And since it's not actual light, it's not lightspeed. Any mention of the word light, could just be attributed to Luminous Element instead. So it being stated to be light is not enough proof for him, as such your first two sources wouldn't be enough.

WPILpPk.png

This last one is the most explicit about the nature of the sword, and it comes from a magazine published by Kadokawa. It states the Fanatio's sword uses the light of Solus for its attacks.

However, this last one interests me. Because if it's explicitly stating that her sword uses the Light of Solus for its attack, then that completely contradicts Kaantantr's interpretation.

Kaantantr doesn't believe that the sword actually uses the light of Solus for its attack, but Luminous Element. And since it's not actual light, it's not lightspeed. Any mention of the word light, could just be attributed to Luminous Element instead. So it being stated to be light is not enough proof for him, as such your first two sources wouldn't be enough.
That seems a bit strange, because the books usually make it clear when Luminous Element is being used to create a laser. When Alice and the Administrator use light beam attacks they're stated specifically to be using Luminous Element to make them.
However, this last one interests me. Because if it's explicitly stating that her sword uses the Light of Solus for its attack, then that completely contradicts Kaantantr's interpretation.

Here's the source if you want to check it out. I asked 3 different people and they all said that the sword used the light of Solus to for its attack based on that passage I screencapped.

I am not going to go through how Memory Abilities of weapons work. We've done this at least a dozen times on the forums. Please go through previous discussions to learn more about the fundamentals of the world.

I am not going to go through how Memory Abilities of weapons work. We've done this at least a dozen times on the forums. Please go through previous discussions to learn more about the fundamentals of the world.
Just to be sure, because I feel like we haven't been communicating properly. You disagree with the statement in the article that the sword uses the light of Solus for its attack?

I do not disagree with it. That is the nice and colorful and in universe way of regurgitating the myth that makes the weapon and is as correct as it is going to get from the point of an Underworlder who are not fully aware of the simulated game world they live in. It's what gives the world its flavor.

I do not disagree with it. That is the nice and colorful and in universe way of regurgitating the myth that makes the weapon and is as correct as it is going to get from the point of an Underworlder who are not fully aware of the simulated game world they live in. It's what gives the world its flavor.
But it's not. The article is not relating it as if it's an in universe recount of Fanatio and things of note about her. It's just stating this information for the benefit of the audience who wishes to learn more about her. If it said something like "Fanatio claims that the sword uses the light of Solus for its attack", that would put the objective nature of it into doubt. But there's nothing indicating that part should be taken as just a simple myth, and not an objective statement about the sword within the world like the rest of the article does as well.

As mentioned, read through previous discussions to learn more about how Memory Abilities function in Underworld.

As mentioned, read through previous discussions to learn more about how Memory Abilities function in Underworld.
It doesn't matter how a mechanic is stated to work in general. There are exceptions to the rule. In Naruto Ninjutsu is stated to be made of Chakra. So every fireball, crack of lightning, or gust of air is actually made of Chakra. However, there's some exceptions, like Kirin. Which just uses Chakra to direct actual lightning from storm clouds for its attack.

For another example in YuGiOh, Normal Spell Cards can't be activated during the Standby Phase, however there is a Normal Spell card that says it can only be activated during the Standby Phase. The card text on it trumps the stated mechanics and rules of the game.

I bring these two up to illustrate there are exceptions to rules, and this simply could just be one of them.

The article states objectively that the sword uses the light of Solus for its attack. You believe it doesn't because of the way Memory Release is stated to work. However, the article trumps you by both stating information specific to the sword itself and its function, and also coming from a higher source of authority than you when it comes to the subject.

Please educate yourself on the concepts of the series. My source is not myself, but rather one and a half dozen books that take place in Project Alicization with explicit and implicit descriptions of how the world works.

I'll give you an example. On all the promotional material for Ordinal Scale, Augma is stated to exclusively be an AR device and no VR functionality. However, in Ordinal Scale, it literally is used as a VR device to dive back into Aincrad.

If we are to use your logic, claiming the outside source to be the absolute truth, that makes the Ordinal Scale promotional material trump the actual Ordinal Scale itself. You see how little that makes sense? I guess the movie was wrong all along, all hail the promotional pamphlet! And before you nitpick about the pamphlet, that's just a lighthearted jab, every single material about OS states this, all the way from the trailers to website descriptions to the Limited Edition Bluray booklet, etc etc.

A three sentence character introduction has no obligation to provide you an essay about how a specific tool functions within the laws of the world. It just gives you the default description of it.

Please educate yourself on the concepts of the series. My source is not myself, but rather one and a half dozen books that take place in Project Alicization with explicit and implicit descriptions of how the world works.
The source is you. While you might be using information from the novel to support your interpretation of how the sword functions, I have never seen any Japanese or English fan state that Fanatio's sword works by using Luminous Element, besides you. If it is true, then it is not communicated clearly to the audience, which is strange given that Alice and Administrator's light beams were specifically stated to be made from Luminous Element, and identified as such within the story. You are stating absolutely that the sword must abide by the general rules of Memory Release, when it could just simply be an exception.
I'll give you an example. On all the promotional material for Ordinal Scale, Augma is stated to exclusively be an AR device and no VR functionality. However, in Ordinal Scale, it literally is used as a VR device to dive back into Aincrad.
Yes, this is what you would need to show to debunk the statement that it's using light from Solus for the attack. A direct contradiction such that the two statements cannot coexist. Again, in Naruto, Ninjutsu attacks are made from Chakra, but Kirin uses actual lightning. They may seem contradictory, but any reasonable person just understands that Kirin is an exception to the rule. That's what you have to understand, sometimes there are exceptions to rules. Otherwise you just sound like a 5 year old getting made that the plural of "moose" isn't "mooses".
If we are to use your logic, claiming the outside source to be the absolute truth, that makes the Ordinal Scale promotional material trump the actual Ordinal Scale itself. You see how little that makes sense?
I didn't say it was the absolute truth. I stated it was the highest authoritative statement speaking on the objective qualities of the Fanatio's sword specifically. The promotional material for Ordinal Scale was made as such in order to conceal the twist reveal at the end. The article I published occurred far after spoilers or such were a concern. There's no twist it's concealing by doing this. There is no reason for this "misinformation" that you claim.
A three sentence character introduction has no obligation to provide you an essay about how a specific tool functions within the laws of the world. It just gives you the default description of it.
Just because it's brief, doesn't mean that it can't describe the basic functions of the sword. If it didn't want this "miscommunication" of information, or to leave it up to interpretation, it could just simple attribute the quality of the sword using the light of Solus to Fanatio's claim. This would only take about 3 extra words or so.

The sword is stated to do this by the publisher. You state it cannot do this. I think the publisher takes precedence over your claim. It's just as simple as that.

I have never seen any Japanese or English fan state that Fanatio's sword works by using Luminous Element, besides you.
Just here alone, I have seen that you have not checked any of the discussions that were had on the topic, because that was not what I said. As such, I see no reason to read the rest of this, as it is a settled matter already that has been dealt with numerous times on the forums.

For the last time, educate yourself on the matter by either looking up how Memory Abilities function by re-reading the books, or by going through previous discussions.

So does anyone else have an issue with the fact with taking the article at face value when it states that the sword uses the light of Solus for its attack, or is it just him?

Edit: Also, will mention apologies if I misinterpreted your argument by stating that you thought it used Luminous Element. I was going off what leafbladie stated, and I'll admit it was wrong to assume they could speak for your argument. However, my argument still doesn't require me to actually read whatever it is you're talking about. Your authority on the subject of SAO and how it functions is less than Kadokawa's. So if your statement contradicts it, then you're just plain wrong.

Last edited:
So does anyone else have an issue with the fact with taking the article at face value when it states that the sword uses the light of Solus for its attack, or is it just him?
Reading the article, there shouldn’t be any issue in the slightest. Pretty cool find. Not like my approval means much though, you’d have to get DMUA or someone else to look at it.

Plenty of people. As mentioned, you should check previous discussions on the topic. You are not the first person to make these exact same arguments, and I've been told my admins to make footnotes on the issue because you won't be the last until that's taken care of, but I'm just too lazy to.

The way Divine Weapons function is covered quite clearly throughout the series. Marketing material is superficial and is written in ways to hide information or raise interest.
Edit: Also, will mention apologies if I misinterpreted your argument by stating that you thought it used Luminous Element. I was going off what leafbladie stated, and I'll admit it was wrong to assume they could speak for your argument.
No worries, plenty of people hate me here because I had their fanfictions removed from the website. Secondhand information is very dangerous, all the more so with younger audiences. Don't look at cherry picked info provided by people. Make your own research before getting to the bottom of things.

However, my argument still doesn't require me to actually read whatever it is you're talking about
You need to learn how the world works to be able to differentiate between what is true and what is not.
Your authority on the subject of SAO and how it functions is less than Kadokawa's.
My authority means jack shit. So is yours. So is the marketing materials. Superficial descriptions of the marketing material does not invalidate the series itself. If it did, we'd just be experiencing the series from the marketing materials and the Anime and the Books would not exist.

Authority is Reki and his books. For the last time, go through the previous discussions to learn the basics of how Underworld functions. You are not the first person who failed to keep the fundamentals in mind, because fancy descriptions are more exciting.

My authority means jack shit. So is yours. So is the marketing materials. Superficial descriptions of the marketing material does not invalidate the series itself. If it did, we'd just be experiencing the series from the marketing materials and the Anime and the Books would not exist.
I never stated it does, but what is stated within the article does not contradict what is stated within the series. If I state all things of category A achieve x by doing y. Then it is later stated that A1 (an individual within A), achieves x by doing z, that is not a contradiction. That's just an exception. You haven't shown why this can't just be an exception, which allows for both ideas to be true simultaneously. It could just use the mechanic of Memory Release to collect and direct light for its attack, in the same way Kirin can use Chakra to collect and direct lightning for its attack.
Authority is Reki and his books. For the last time, go through the previous discussions to learn the basics of how Underworld functions. You are not the first person who failed to keep the fundamentals in mind, because fancy descriptions are more exciting.
To claim that no one else has the authority to speak on the franchise is silly. He's not the only one writing works within the universe. I will admit his authority overrides others as the main force behind the story, but that's like saying you shouldn't listen to a county judge's ruling because you think the Supreme Court will rule differently. Maybe they will, but until they have, you have to go with what's given. And in the same vein, maybe Kawahara will in the future state the true mechanics of Fanatio's sword, and how it doesn't use the light of Solus for its attack. Until then, just taking it as an exception is the best way to remedy this "supposed" contradiction with the given information.

Last edited:
For the last time, go through the previous discussions to learn the basics of how Underworld functions. You are not the first person who failed to keep the fundamentals in mind, because fancy descriptions are more exciting.
What you are doing right now is spamming.

Back