• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Supporters / Opponents (or Like / Dislike) sections for FC/OC verses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrossverseCrisis

VS Battles
FC/OC VS Battles
Retired
So i had this thought of seeing sections like the one above named for a while, much like those of our main Battles wiki VS Battles.

Just to get straight to the point as much as possible here, does anyone like the idea of having a supporters and opponents section on any of the verse pages that we have (or in this case something like a "Like / Dislike" section)?

I had this idea so that people can edit onto a verse to show how much they either like or probably dislike it....or perhaps even be neurtal about it. Though then again, i had a few problems regarding this that y'all would likely agree with or think the same on even. One of them being that maybe someone who might dislike might say something really bad about the verse. That can be a problem. Another being that it could be too subjective (like the above example or that one may like this verse but dislike the other for whatever reason).

In any case, does anyone think we should have something like this or just keep things as is? Or at least just put a like section or something? Any thoughts on this?

I was thinking let the users decide if they want to add a supporter / opponent / neutral section to their verses.

Not sure, because I can already see flame wars if someone recieves critcism.

It might be best just to have a like section, that way we know who likes it makeing it easier to find people who are intrested in that page then we can assume any who don't put there name there don't know about the page, doesn't like or is lazy.

RadicalMrR said:
Not sure, because I can already see flame wars if someone recieves critcism.
It might be best just to have a like section, that way we know who likes it makeing it easier to find people who are intrested in that page then we can assume any who don't put there name there don't know about the page, doesn't like or is lazy.
I think that's a much better and simpler idea, Radical.

The way i thought it up was should we add something like a neutral or let alone an opponents section, it could lead to potential bad blood.

Does anybody agree with what Radical said? At least for this, we just only add another section to our verses (this is of course for those who've made one themselves at this point but yeah still....)...

Fair enough.

So far it seems that Flourine is like "just let the users decide to do this or not" or something along those lines. Roymaster seems to like the idea, Radical suggests that we just have a like section, and Exercise (you) says no and dislikes the idea.

Alright, 4 opinions right here. I'll wait for the others then still...

I've been thinking about this...

"Just letting the users decide to do this or not" would still start a flame war. Some people might attack someone else because they didn't put the like/dislike thing.

Adding it to all pages would still start a flame war, because someone might falsely criticize a verse that's not finished yet, and then proceed to start essay long arguments.

Either we don't have it, or we just have a like section.

My opinion? I'd want a like section. This idea is cool. You'd get to see how many people like your verse, and in extention, your characters, so I don't want to remove it.

I'm choosing just having a like section.

Alright. So for Xmark12, it's a no to having a like/dislike but yes to having just a like section like RadicalMR.

So the tally here is 2 for just like section, 1 for "lettting users do this or not" thing, and no to not having this at all and leaving things here as is.

Anyone else?

Although Hop is for criticism, there is the issue of hurt feelings and colliding ideas of "good and bad characters/verses". However, Hop is all for free speach, and if someone wishes share share that they dislike something, they should also be allowed to say why. Whether or not the creator agrees, or is offended by it, should not matter. We should all be here to improve, even if being flawed is just natural.

Hop is on the slmost border for all or nothing with this idea. On one hand, we have an open, honest, and potentially still positive system. On the other, disaster awaits. However, I think we're all mature enough to handle contructive criticism and opinions.

Just put Hop on the "side" for allowing a Like/Dislike system featured for verses.

Well the thing is that, Hop, is there are still some people who may not be used to criticism. Like if they can't handle it then there's nothing to really do about it.

In any case, that's now 1 for a like/dislike system.

I forgot to note that this is for those who want to actually do this depending on how things go. If for example we just went a "like" system, people can decide weather or not they want to put it on their verses...

Or you can just only put supports so there's no opponents section if you can't handle criticism.

There's also something i want to add to everyone that's commented thus far (and to those that may comment here later).

I made this to also get second opinion's/thoughts about this sort of thing in case anyone here is actually interested or not.

No problem.

There is also yet another thing to note that's minor but couldn't help putting on to here. SDZiel1217, one of our former admins whose helped shaped the wiki along with myself last year, had a supporters section here on his own verse page. It's another reason why i did this as well since....i mean, it could be a cool thing to have. Even though it is of just one additional section.

I am ok letting people chose if they want a like/dislike, just like or nothing at all but they should be warned that they are not allowed to start flame wars if they do decide to put it up.

Awwww.....thank you, Prom~ ^_^

Edit: Alright so Promestein has made it on her own page, even adding the opponents and neutral section at that, yeah. As noted by Fil and i guess by me, it's up to the user on weather or not they want to do this; regardless of how they put it.

I'm actually really up for some criticism. It's the way most people learn after-all.

I just proposed the just like system for people who can't handle it, but I'm also fine with the like/dislike thing being optional as well.

After hearing more responses, I decided to change my answer to what Radical said. Is that okay Cross?

P.S: I also added the like/dislike one to mine and Note's verse.

I'm all for allowing criticism, it allows the storyteller to recognize flaws within their story and can help them improve on mistakes, simply prohibiting criticism for the sake of one's ego only damages their ability to see reason and motive to avoid things that could be viewed as uncharacteristic for a character or inconsistencies that would take the reader of the story.

However, I suggest that it should be allowed as long as it's constructive and not simply "I don't like this.", this would help avoid bad blood between contributors and help the community grow and improve. Rejecting criticism is against progress.

That sounds pretty reasonable, yes.

I don't mind this being allowed so long as no bad blood happens and stuff like "I don't like this" or even things that could be of spite nature, Talon.

Oh and welcome to FC/OC, man. :)

Just adding supporters sounds like a good idea, seeing as even I take criticism kind of personally unless it is constructive.

I haven't taken much criticism much since last year on my characters and verse. I mean i mind if someone doesn't like it but it could also help if they can explain why and maybe give some pointers or something about on making the verse better or something, idk...

Fllflourine said:
Just adding supporters sounds like a good idea, seeing as even I take criticism kind of personally unless it is constructive.
That was my point entirely.

But only adding supporters contradicts the idea of allowing constructive criticism, since they are clearly not allowed to oppose to it, it's the equivalent of saying "You can only have an opinion if it's a good one". While we should be a friendly community that strives to make people feel welcome, we shouldn't simply denounce something for the sake of slightly upsetting a user, it's not hate, it's a suggestion to help the individual expand their creativity and open up their mind to new ideas, which isn't that what sites like this are all about?

Fllflourine said:
Constructive is subjective to some people, although that depends on how thick their creative skin is.

Yeah. If Prom's verse blog says that asking her questions allow her to likely make up more ideas or improvements, then something like this shouldn't be any different.

Generally having someone on the opponents section in my verse usually makes me start badly of myself, even though I won't take constructive criticism as personally if it is on the comments section.

Either way, just having the supporters section would be fine, seeing as having opponents would likely start flame wars.

Flame wars won't start, the opposed section would be there for people who have constructive reasons to dislike a verse, be it the reasons are simply perceived as blatant hate or are simply there for the sake of being there, they can be removed.

We don't support hate.

Also, i think what Talon said does perfectly make sense. As FC/OC isn't just a place where you can make your own characters and bring out those ideas, it should also be a place where people can develop them through comments of criticism or whatever.

At least this way, and though i do find it odd for the idea of an opponents section being used by people who may not like something but also grant stuff to explain why, i do feel it's about as best as we can get with this.

If anything and if this doesn't work out for all of us as a whole community, we can just scrape this out. Though it might hurt some others who wanted to show their support/like for a particular verse and all but still.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back