• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Superman (DCEU) is not a High 6-C. The World Engine is overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked this calculation in detail and came to some conclusions. The way you calculate his energy level per second is wrong. I have several arguments in favor of this:

First, the method itself. You use the shockwave formula to calculate the total energy of an explosion. However, this is not correct. The fact is that the World Engine pressed the earth down with great force, it does not release a shock wave like an explosion. Moreover, the force with which it presses the earth only destroys it into large pieces (that is, in the case of calculation, you will have to use 8 joules per cubic centimeter). This will greatly reduce the result.

Secondly, energy per second. Seriously, do you really think that every second the world's engine sends hundreds of gigaton shockwaves into the ground? I wouldn't mind it if you got that result with other destruction methods. But you are using shockwave. Shock waves move through the air. Actually, shockwaves require formulas and calculations where you have to square numbers or cube a number, you can't just calculate the energy every second to create one shockwave. A shock wave is not something that can be used to calculate "energy per second". But this is only half the trouble.

The main thing is different. Your calculation assumes that the World Engine is firing this amount of energy PASSIVELY WITHOUT BREAK, EVERY SECOND. But as we see in the film, the World Engine does not passively destroy the surface of the planet, but in sharp jerks (Breaking between destruction). Moreover, the break between hits on the ground is about 5-6 seconds. It's not energy per second.

And more importantly, the rate of destruction. You get a radius of destruction passively expanding by 4.73 meters per second every second, using 7 weeks. However, in the film, we see that the world engine expands by about 7-8 meters, but not every second, but every 5-6 seconds, with sharp blows with breaks of 5-6 seconds between them.

What do I mean by this? My point is that either the world engine has been accelerating in a devastating way.

Why do I think so? Because in the same novelization it is indicated that Metropolis will be destroyed only after a few hours. If we take that "a few hours" is 3 hours, then we get that the radius of Metropolis is:

20,037,137.45 / 4,234,000 × 3 × 60 × 60 = 51,110.317539 meters. 51 kilometers. Even for a diameter, this is too much (If it were a diameter, it would be more than 2 and a half times larger than Washington. If it is a radius, then more than 5 times). I understand that Metropolis is a fictional city that can be any size, but 50-100 kilometers in diameter is too much. And that's only if you take 3 hours. We have taken under "a few weeks" about 7 weeks, if we take 7 hours in proportion to this, then we get from 120 to 240 kilometers.

Result.

This feat must be recalculated. First, instead of shock waves, you have to calculate fragmentation (Or something like that, I've never dealt with gravity), which will greatly reduce the result. This requires the depth of destruction and the radius. Considering that one engine jerk went from one car to another, which were not far from each other, the radius will increase by about 8 meters every second (Probably). Secondly, you should stop calculating the energy per second by dividing the total work of the Engine by the number of weeks. Because otherwise you end up with an insanely huge Metropolis or a logical error that contradicts what is shown. You need to calculate the energy that is shown in this scene. However, you'll get such a small answer that it's easier to scale Superman down to engine dura. But, as a last resort, you could take the "flattening" energy of Metropolis and split it up over several hours. But given that the Engine is only picking up speed, this is not safe.

I will preface this by saying that I have only seen one (1) DCEU movie and do not intend to see the rest of them anytime soon.

The feat as it stands is being presumed as an explosion- it's not using any destruction values as a result, just a general "pressure" value that represents how destructive the "explosion" is. Traditionally, one would use 20 PSI, as this is the minimum required to break apart buildings and such (this is the value they have used here).

Secondly, energy per second. Seriously, do you really think that every second the world's engine sends hundreds of gigaton shockwaves into the ground? I wouldn't mind it if you got that result with other destruction methods. But you are using shockwave. Shock waves move through the air. Actually, shockwaves require formulas and calculations where you have to square numbers or cube a number, you can't just calculate the energy every second to create one shockwave. A shock wave is not something that can be used to calculate "energy per second". But this is only half the trouble.

It doesn't particularly matter how much energy that the thing gives out in our calculation, just that the math is more or less sound. The method used in this feat is imperfect, so a better method would definitely be better (not that I have any idea how you'd calculate this particular feat, the explosion method is still just sort of filler). As for the number of shockwaves, it was my impression that this calc was treating the terraforming as a series of shockwaves? Regardless, you most certainly can calculate a feat of building-up energy by dividing its net energy by the time needed to produce the effect, though terraforming wouldn't typically scale to physicals.

The main thing is different. Your calculation assumes that the World Engine is firing this amount of energy PASSIVELY WITHOUT BREAK, EVERY SECOND. But as we see in the film, the World Engine does not passively destroy the surface of the planet, but in sharp jerks (Breaking between destruction). Moreover, the break between hits on the ground is about 5-6 seconds. It's not energy per second.
See the bit above, calculating it as energy-delivered-per-second is acceptable so long as the thing performing the feat is working continuously to do so.

And more importantly, the rate of destruction. You get a radius of destruction passively expanding by 4.73 meters per second every second, using 7 weeks. However, in the film, we see that the world engine expands by about 7-8 meters, but not every second, but every 5-6 seconds, with sharp blows with breaks of 5-6 seconds between them.
Interesting point. You could tweak the current calculation by figuring out the true time it would take, if you wanted to sit down and work it out.

Why do I think so? Because in the same novelization it is indicated that Metropolis will be destroyed only after a few hours. If we take that "a few hours" is 3 hours, then we get that the radius of Metropolis is:

20,037,137.45 / 4,234,000 × 3 × 60 × 60 = 51,110.317539 meters. 51 kilometers. Even for a diameter, this is too much (If it were a diameter, it would be more than 2 and a half times larger than Washington. If it is a radius, then more than 5 times). I understand that Metropolis is a fictional city that can be any size, but 50-100 kilometers in diameter is too much. And that's only if you take 3 hours. We have taken under "a few weeks" about 7 weeks, if we take 7 hours in proportion to this, then we get from 120 to 240 kilometers.
Not entirely certain what the point is of this so I'll just move past it.

General etiquette on-site dictates that you bump once every day, at most twelve hours. It's not a huge deal but it avoids spamming notification boxes and such.

I will preface this by saying that I have only seen one (1) DCEU movie and do not intend to see the rest of them anytime soon.

The feat as it stands is being presumed as an explosion- it's not using any destruction values as a result, just a general "pressure" value that represents how destructive the "explosion" is. Traditionally, one would use 20 PSI, as this is the minimum required to break apart buildings and such (this is the value they have used here).

It doesn't particularly matter how much energy that the thing gives out in our calculation, just that the math is more or less sound. The method used in this feat is imperfect, so a better method would definitely be better (not that I have any idea how you'd calculate this particular feat, the explosion method is still just sort of filler). As for the number of shockwaves, it was my impression that this calc was treating the terraforming as a series of shockwaves? Regardless, you most certainly can calculate a feat of building-up energy by dividing its net energy by the time needed to produce the effect, though terraforming wouldn't typically scale to physicals.

See the bit above, calculating it as energy-delivered-per-second is acceptable so long as the thing performing the feat is working continuously to do so.

Interesting point. You could tweak the current calculation by figuring out the true time it would take, if you wanted to sit down and work it out.

Not entirely certain what the point is of this so I'll just move past it.

General etiquette on-site dictates that you bump once every day, at most twelve hours. It's not a huge deal but it avoids spamming notification boxes and such.
Basically this

However now that you have brought this to my attention the Timeframe between smashes in the movie should be used instead of the total number of seconds because it's not outpulling a continuous stream of energy

So it'd be like this

http://www.watchframebyframe.com/watch/yt/dvyAXIUDFTc
03:17:74 - 03:21:59

Timeframe between smashes: 3.85 Seconds

Original Timeframe: 7 weeks = 4234000 seconds (Why the **** was this used instead of 2? A few means 2 or more, If they meant months they would have said months)

4234000 / 3.85 = 1099740.26 seconds

Surface wiping is 6.46570851e+17 tons of TNT

6.46570851e+17 / 1099740.26 = 5.87930509x10^11 Tons or 587.930 Gigatons (High 6-C+)

Now doing this the right way and actually using the timeframe stated in the movie instead of lowballing for literally no reason

On average there are 4 1/3 weeks in a month so our maximum is going to be 4 weeks

Seconds in 4 weeks: 2419000

2419000 / 3.85 = 628311.6883 seconds

6.46570851e+17 / 628311.6883 = 1.02906068x10^12 Tons or 1.029 Teratons (Damn near baseline Low 6-B)

I'll make this into a blog if enough people agree

Basically this

However now that you have brought this to my attention the Timeframe between smashes in the movie should be used instead of the total number of seconds because it's not outpulling a continuous stream of energy

So it'd be like this

http://www.watchframebyframe.com/watch/yt/dvyAXIUDFTc
03:17:74 - 03:21:59

Timeframe between smashes: 3.85 Seconds

Original Timeframe: 7 weeks = 4234000 seconds (Why the **** was this used instead of 2? A few means 2 or more, If they meant months they would have said months)

4234000 / 3.85 = 1099740.26 seconds

Surface wiping is 6.46570851e+17 tons of TNT

6.46570851e+17 / 1099740.26 = 5.87930509x10^11 Tons or 587.930 Gigatons (High 6-C+)

Now doing this the right way and actually using the timeframe stated in the movie instead of lowballing for literally no reason

On average there are 4 1/3 weeks in a month so our maximum is going to be 4 weeks

Seconds in 4 weeks: 2419000

2419000 / 3.85 = 628311.6883 seconds

6.46570851e+17 / 628311.6883 = 1.02906068x10^12 Tons or 1.029 Teratons (Damn near baseline Low 6-B)

I'll make this into a blog if enough people agree
Ayy LMAO what the ****

Either way, both ends look fine to me. Put it in a blog and we'll be dandy. I'll tag a few calc members just in case...

@DemonGodMitchAubin @AbaddonTheDisappointment @Migue79 @CloverDragon03 @Dark-Carioca

The calc seems fine... didn't expect it to get higher, but you never know... I think that's happened in quite a handful of revision threads xD

The calc seems fine... didn't expect it to get higher, but you never know... I think that's happened in quite a handful of revision threads xD
Ayy LMAO what the ****

Either way, both ends look fine to me. Put it in a blog and we'll be dandy. I'll tag a few calc members just in case...

@DemonGodMitchAubin @AbaddonTheDisappointment @Migue79 @CloverDragon03 @Dark-Carioca
holy shit this CRT actually upgraded DCEU Superman

massive W, agreed
Lowkey consistent with Ares apparently saking the planet in the WW novelisation fr fr
Go ham

You brought this on yourself.
To be honest, I have a couple of arguments why this is complete nonsense, but I do not have much free time, I have ideas for more interesting threads and I want to play Atomic Heart.

Curse you Perry the Platypus​

To be honest, I have a couple of arguments why this is complete nonsense, but I do not have much free time, I have ideas for more interesting threads and I want to play Atomic Heart.

Blud makes a thread arguing why it's nonsense, refuses to elaborate further and then bails without making any appropriate responses and expects us to take this seriously, but go off I suppose.

patrick-star-boo.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back