• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Summoning Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomebodyData

El SiD
VS Battles
Joke Battles
Retired
Note: I will have a lot to go over, so if you just want the general gist, go to the bottom of this op.

I first asked about how we treat Summoning for non-combatant characters here.

Currently the rules are that non-combatant Summoners are essentially immune to everything until their summons are destroyed.... yeah, I think the issue becomes apparent there.

Firstly, the rule alters both the fighting styles and personalities of the combatants, think characters like: Batma for example, Batman would use his intelligence to deduce the best way to fight a summoner would be to attack him/her directly, as they would be the 'weak link'. Accordingly to the rules, he would, instead, not use his intelligence and fight off the summons without getting rid of the actual problem.

And what happens to the actual mechanics of characters? For example, what would happen to a character who generally abuses aoe, like Broly? By this rule's logic, his aoe would be heavily downgraded to the point where he might as well be a classic DB villain. Or maybe, something like the Mind Manipulation of Homura Akemi? By this logic, given that it is subconsicous, either it would be downgraded to only being able to control a summon at a time, or the summoner is immune to 2-A mind hax. This could be applied to virtually everyone with an aoe ranging from meters to a guy who life drain affects his surroundings. Literally most if not all abilities and ranges are somehow affected by this ruling.

And here comes the comparison to Speed Equalized and willing to kill, while both alter similar aspects of the character, neither go to the extreme degree. Speed equalized only alters one stat out of nearly universal necessity for threads. Willing to kill alters only the moral aspect of the character, never the methods or general weaknesses such as arrogance. As shown above, this rule alters at best, a major aspect of the personality, range, area of effect, and the mechanics behind abilities and attacks.

In some verses, this is just how the fight, correct? Well this is also incorrect. Character such as Yugi Muto relies on his summons, but is able to contend as well himself with various magical abilities. Are we know making him an unstoppable hax machine or restricting his influence in the battle, making his abilities useless? Even in Pokémo, which I would assume is where this rule originated, doesn't even follow this rule. Characters like Yellow and most in the non-games have interfered in battle. Heck, even in the games, there is a point in BW2 the main antagonist threatens to use Kyurem to kill the trainer. And even if these examples didn't exist, why would we make it a universal wiki rule to follow a simple trope that even the trope founders don't actually follow?

TL;DR: We have no legitimate reason to keep this rule, other than to horribly unbalance fights and essentially add threads that ignore significant aspects of both sides of the debate.

I think than that rule was specifily made to thread matches as sucessive matches, example, I want X character to fight A character, if X win, then X character win then he pass to fight B character, and that sucessively; basically a gauntlet.

Yes, rule is basically useless when gauntlets or battle royale can be made (yet not added), personally I think it was an excuse to add matches (preferible wins) to pokemon trainer profiles and avoiding the "trainer can be damaged/killed/BFR in mid battle" argument. If you want it to be added then the trainer will fight as a summoner (and everything it imply).

EDIT: Actually, gauntlets can be added but only if any of the fighter recover its heal at the end of one fight; but that is still sucessive fights in one thread.

Yobobojojo said:
Not all summoners work in that fashion though.
At best someone summons x amounts of creatures and fight side-a-side with them in a coordinate battle or at worst someone summons and then dissapears from the stage (or even the other way around) with no interacting with anyone in the fight after that; I do not known any other fighting style from summoners.

I would understand if it was just for gauntlet matches, but these rules apply for any thread with summoners, so as you can see, I'm rather against that kind of ruling.

Bump before the bed, might highlight given its technically a versus thread rule.

Why is this Wiki Management rather than Staff Discussion or Content Revision? Just curious

CRT is usually for pages or verses, and staff disc limits concersations to staff only, so i thought this mught be a good approach.

We also use CRT for general changes, they are not always limited to verses, see the Enviromental Destruction revision for example.

I think this is specific to pokemon trainers and the like, as other characters who use summoning like a bunch of destiny files for example are more than capable of fighting on their own.

@Wokistan then my case becomes stronger if that's the case, as implementing such a rule on the entire wiki from a single verse is something I've never heard ever be accepted before.

I see, I understand not wanting to make this staff only, but this is still more like a Content Revision, as revising or clarifying a standard or rule is still Content Revision. Wiki Management Board is more for Rule Violations, Calculation Request/Evaluations, page deletion, image render, Versus Thread Addition/Removal, ect.

Though, I'm not too expertised on this, so but the OP does make sense to me.

Honestly, I don't think it's a fair restriction if both of the characters don't follow the rules themselves voluntarily in the first place. Even Yugioh doesn't make sense with this application, because monsters attack them directly all the time— and they take damage whenever their summon dies— Ba & Ka stuff. This shouldn't be the standard for characters like this.

As I already said in the previous thread, I don't think that this should be a rule.

If a character is used to a specific set of rules (don't attack the trainer/summoner) that's just their mentality. It isn't because they can't

i mean, even in pokemon there are cases where they target the trainer, especially in the manga.

I was against that rule when it was made, so I completly agree with SomebodyData.

To give some further examples on how this essentially nerfs other characters fighting for the sake of keeping up a trope: The Unexplored Summo is a verse that exclusively works through summoning. The characters even get a planet level shield the moment they summon a small building level being. Yet it has major characters like Lu Niang La whichs entire fighting style is based on taking out the summoners before they manage to summon something. So this rule prevents a character from doing the only thing they would ever do in character. (the protagonist tends to take out summoners before they can summon as well & one of the problems fighting a white queen is that she can attack the summoner even after he gets his shield)

To that comes that it is an unfair rule, given that we otherwise allow characters to make use of every weakness in an opponents fighting style or techniques. E.g. there is the entire trope where characters have to charge up an attack for 20 seconds and the opponents will just stand there and watch them do that. Nobody would ever argue "they are never attacked in their genre doing that so they should also not be allowed to be attacked in threads".

Heck, as it stands one can not even put the summoner under illusions diminishing their usefullness.

While I am the one who made the thread that accepted this, I agree with these points. Although we have to make sure said summoner/Tamer/Trainer has stats of their own.

This was also never the case for MTG planeswalkers, though they can do other things than just summon. As for Pokemon, if you don't want that to come into play just match them against the Pokemon itself and not the trainer/Pokemon team.

Another thing: do we give the "Summoner" enough time to summon his creatures before the battle starts, or does he/she do that during the battle?

@Woki

Well you can't really make a character fight against the Pokemon team without the Trainer, as you'd be basically restricting intelligence (given that the Trainer is the one organizing the tactics etc)

DMB 1 said:
Another thing: do we give the "Summoner" enough time to summon his creatures before the battle starts, or does he/she do that during the battle?
They would need to summon during the battle unless you give prep time. (Unless of course they have their "summons" out per default, like Ash's pikachu or the digimon of tamers)

Giving prep time is something one is absolutely allowed to do, though.

@Kaltias

At the very least, we can't add matches like these. And the Trainer can be in the fight. He just needs to survive, like any other member of the team.

DT explaination sums up pretty well along with OP's; so the current rule should be removed and if someone want to make them fight against the team it just counted as gauntlet or battle royale, but if the trainer/tamer/summoner is involved then it can be attacked.

To address a good portion of why this thread exists, another glaring issue comes from Yu-Gi-Oh characters. Though a lot of times they have ways of protecting, they have never fought a monster in a direct conflict. A gauntlet isn't really suitable because of the sheer number of monsters there are, and making the summoner untargetable essentially allows them to endlessly spam resurrection, AP boosts, protections, reflections, and a whole bunch of shenanigans without any thing touching them.

Even in Yu.Gi.Oh!, the summoner isn't invulnerable or anything, since he can be directly attacked, and he can still take damage by battle or by effects.

Besides, in the verse, there are Duelists who are actually capable of fighting physically on their own.

I sent him a message. Life points is game mechanics tho just like any other HP system, they'd get a regular durability.

Life points its their stamina and health so a grenade's effect is reduce the LP of the duelist in 8000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back