• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Suggestion for Locations & Distances that are not officially stated [Staff Only]

Damage3245

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
Calculation Group
In circumstances where we're directly given the size of a landmark or location by a statement or some other official source (Word of God, databooks), we should preferably use it unless there are contradicting official sources or logical issues that are impossible to ignore. But in circumstances where this information isn't provided we need to rely only on our own methods to find the size of these landmarks or locations; namely calcs and pixelscaling. This can be a critical step as the basis of other calcs and pixelscaling which require a figure for the size of something.

I used to take a rather lowball approach to these but recent revisions and discussions (most commonly for Bleach, Naruto and One Piece [though this thread isn't just to do with them but all verses]) have forced me to take another look at this important stage in the calcing process and try to think of a better solution that would be logical and fair.

It's no surprise that when a landmark or location is drawn multiple times over the course of a series, you can get different perspectives and frames of reference for finding the size of it.

Pixelscaling it through one method is just as valid as pixelscaling it through a different method that uses different panels and arrives at a different result. It's extremely difficult to find multiple shots of something that are all perfectly consistent with each other because art styles almost never work out that way.

Instead of trying to dismiss methods of visual-based scaling for being inconsistent with each other (which will always be the case), I have some proposals for how we could try and use them better:

• 1) If you have two or more identical scaling methods for size, then preferably the one that is most accurately drawn should be used and the other one is rejected.

(Sometimes people even using the same panels can arrive at different results depending on how they draw their pixelscaling. This guideline is to try and ensure only the most accurate option is picked when this scaling conflict happens)

• 2) If you have multiple / different valid scaling methods for size, then an average size from the range of values from the valid methods should be used if the value is necessary for further calculations.

(This is the Mid End approach. If the different visuals of a particular landmark or location are all valid, then an average of the results from the scaling will get us to the most accurate and fairest result for our estimation of its size. This applies also to methods for size that can be calculated such as using walking speed or running speed in a set timeframe to find a distance travelled. No matter how we calc it or pixelscale it, we are never truly finding the actual size of whatever it is we're scaling. We're only creating estimates of the size based on figures for other frames of reference, or assumptions. Because these size calcs can form the basis for other calcs, the butterfly effect can cause sweeping upgrades or downgrades just based on how you find the size value, and which panels you choose to use)

• 3) Invalid scaling methods or outlier results will not be treated as valid for this Mid End average.

(This can be trickier to figure out but even in cases where we have varying results for the size of a landmark or location there will sometimes by results that are so extraordinarly high or low that they make zero logical sense. Even if we can figure out an estimate of the size based on one or two pieces of information from the source, our estimates may be off wildly due to other assumptions or extremely warped perspectives when pixelscaling. Or in cases where one particular visual is extremely different from the others, such as a character being drawn in a chibi format that doesn't reflect their most consistent appearance for example)

I would prefer to get input from Staff on this, particularly other Calc Group Members, first off so ordinary users please don't respond for now. My proposal in a nutshell is basically: For unknown size values that are necessary for other calculations, if multiple valid results can be found then a Mid End average of these results is preferable.

I'm not proposing that we make any radical changes or pages or verses right off the bat.

I've always believed finding sizes and distances from assumed speeds was always kinda sus

I have a good amount of skepticism towards it myself but from another perspective we already use fan calculations for explosions, lifting strength, reaction speed, etc, and almost any calc uses some amounts of assumptions for them. So I can understand people using calculations for something like distances too.

Our current guideline on it is:

Using a reliable stated timeframe and reliably stated speed something travels during that timeframe one can calculate the distance travelled. Said distance can then usually be used for calculations. (Take heed that paths don't need to be straight and that speed reliably has to be constant)

If we wanted to be strict about then any speed that you have to assume isn't technically a "reliably stated" value. We're not that strict at the moment though.

From my perspective, calculations like that are only one piece of evidence towards a distance/size. Being calculated doesn't necessarily make them 100% more reliable than any other method which is why I prefer relying on visuals more often than not; or at least taking visuals heavily into account.

I'm ok with stated size over scaling, if the stated size is somewhat reasonable and, of course, from a reliable official statement.

The accurate scaling idea is fine, although what exactly is most accurately drawn is of course a matter of debate.

Not sure how I feel about the average thing. As you already considered, outliers are an option and identifying outliers in small data sets is difficult. And in a data set of 2 it is impossible.
Personally, if none of the scalings are better than others, I am also more in favour of save reasonable low-ends. You know, in the spirit of "characters aren't stronger than we can prove them to be."

Additionally, averaging results is abusable in practice. There are probably plenty of ways of turning one scaling into several, by slightly changing the scaling steps. And that would of course increase their weight in the averaging.

So, personally, I would say use the lowest one that isn't in some way worse than another scaling available.

I've always believed finding sizes and distances from assumed speeds was always kinda sus
Yeah, doesn't work like 90% of the time since travel speed is not as high as people think. There are exceptions, though, I suppose. Especially if it's about normal human speeds.

So, personally, I would say use the lowest one that isn't in some way worse than another scaling available.

That's fair. As I mentioned, I tend to be a fan of the low-end interpretation - my concern is also for consistency of the end results. If a few methods provide a relatively consistent result, then it may be better to use that than the low end. Depends on the methods though, I know.

I'll come back to this tomorrow. This thread doesn't need to be done in a rush so I'm fine if other staff members want to comment their thoughts and opinions.

So we're finding averages for distance? That's gonna be a ball of whack, people now finding methods to calc a size calc to raise/lower the mean.

What about with AP, Speed, Lifting, and every other thing that can be calced? If we calc a 6-A feat and a 6-C feat, we're gonna average it?

@Antvasima; that's fair but I don't think the number of calculations that could be affected by this is as high as that.

Thank you for tagging the others. I think that DontTalkDT makes some good points but I want to hear from others what they think about it.

i seriously doubt that many calcs would be affected by averaging. however i am generally against doing that for stuff like ap or ls, it don't feel right. neutral about the op

For unknown size values that are necessary for other calculations, if multiple valid results can be found then a Mid End average of these results is preferable.
By "valid" calcs I am assuming you mean the results that are calculated correctly, don't contradict anything, make perfect sense with the story. In cases where the calcs are equally valid, for any kind of calc, I think our usual practice is to always use the low end as it is the safest.

By "valid" calcs I am assuming you mean the results that are calculated correctly, don't contradict anything, make perfect sense with the story. In cases where the calcs are equally valid, for any kind of calc, I think our usual practice is to always use the low end as it is the safest.
If going for the low end typically is the more preferable option among staff, then I can accept that.

I see dozens of calcs for a single thing, each person trying to calc something to the highest level possible by employing any possible means. It's just a bad practice, and I agree with DontTalk that averaging can be easily abused and promote this behavior even more. Just sticking to the lower end works best unless the higher result is achieved through a more accurate method or a piece of info, or is more consistent.

Mid-Ends and averaging above all

Using only the Low-Ends is just as bad as only using the High-Ends
I mean, you always have a certain burden of proof if you wish to assume a character to be stronger than they absolutely have to be by their showings.

That's fair. As I mentioned, I tend to be a fan of the low-end interpretation - my concern is also for consistency of the end results. If a few methods provide a relatively consistent result, then it may be better to use that than the low end. Depends on the methods though, I know.
If you're bothered with consistency, then I don't think averaging is the right method. If you have enough actually independent results for a scatter plot, you could eliminate outliers, high as well as low ones, and then take the low-end afterwards.

Not sure if there are calcs that have enough actually independent measurements for that to be practical, though.

Back