• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Jujutsu Kaisen: The MHS Cap (Staff Only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is made in refutation to these two accepted threads. If you haven’t already, read them, come in with a fresh mind and try to withhold any bias. Without any further ado. Note: I will also not be proposing any speed upgrades here, at least not now, this is just to tackle the discussion rule.

BLACK FLASH:

Before we get into what people are here for, let’s have a recap on what Black Flash is. When Cursed Energy is applied in 0.00001 seconds of impact, space is distorted, causing what’s called Black Flash. There is a single issue: no jujutsu sorcerer can execute this attack at will, including that of Satoru Gojo, the fastest sorcerer of the modern era.

Up until now, it was assumed, and accepted, that this was because no sorcerer could even react to such a minuscule timeframe, meaning it solidly capped the verse before MHS speeds. As of Jujutsu Kaisen 256, Gojo explains the properties of Black Flash, but in that explanation, speed is not a factor in determining a Black Flash. He states that if applying CE in a millionth of a second is the only requirement, he could not only do it, but do it at will. Gojo is described as someone who can do whatever he tries, meaning he have no reason to believe he’s simply lying, or tooting his horn. He later goes onto explain that the conditions are a complete toss up, and due to its spatial nature, are more likely to be in tune with humidity, and temperature.

With this, we can solidify confirm that the speed cap imposed by Black Flash was founded completely on assumptions, ones that no longer have any basis, and as such should be removed.

A reminder that this is a Staff Discussion thread. Please request permission from a moderator, administrator, or bureaucrat to comment here.

For full clarification - I approve the creation of this thread and give permission to the thread creator to comment on it.

With this, we can solidify confirm that the speed cap imposed by Black Flash was founded completely on assumptions, ones that no longer have any basis, and as such should be removed.
It was founded based on the information we had before this chapter with the previous discussion concluding that the cap could be removed if we received new information.

Now that Gojo's explained the actual factors that come down to luck I'm fine with the cap being removed

I got permission from DarkGrath to comment.

The beginning of this thread is missing the greater reasons for my Black Flash crt, that being the characters never show the capability to operate consistently at 1 microsecond, the ability to do BF at will isn't the only point here. The other example is concentration being a requirement in reaching the activation of Black Flash. Also here's where I brought up the concentration and operating points.

Yuji while fighting Hanami, couldn't hit it to due his emotions.
Kugisaki while fighting the brothers, hits a Black Flash from her intense focus.
After Todo's speech to Yuji, Yuji regains his composure and hits a Black Flash.

If it's not clear, the main requirement to get to hit a Black Flash is concentration. This concentration theme is also presented blatantly in the novelization of the Vol Zero movie. So this has never been about reaction speed, which doesn't make sense in this context, there is nothing to react to when trying to hit Black Flash.

What Gojo says does not contradict this either, this is what's shown time and time again and implied heavily by the narration and characters. And for Staff members, I'd urge ya to look at how Gojo's phrasing is: In Viz he says "I feel like", and "I should", in the TCB trans he says "Personally", "I Could". This is not only from Gojo's personal belief in what he thinks he can do but also, it's all phrased as possibility (could) or probability (should) in hitting it.
(I know this might be slightly semantical, but this is also a great concept within the verse that is still heavily misunderstood in the community and in the verse itself so maybe be more charitable to this when evaluating it)

Using Gojo's thoughts on Black Flash shouldn't be the only thing to determine how Black Flash works, this is something Gojo basically confirms as he admits "there is no right answer to the conditions for using Black Flash". And again this in no way contradicts the concentration point, concentration is simply something we see as the most consistent and narratively pushed catalyst for achieving Black Flash.

(This doesn't mean everything else is irrelevant either, Gojo is talking about what makes someone more likely to hit Black Flash, as he says "timing isn't the only thing" meaning numerous conditions are met to hit one, meaning timing does play a role in hitting it and I'd say timing is a big factor, considering its the thing always brought up.)

I'm not sure how M3x's crt plays into this Black Flash cap removal, his crt is about a calc for Hakari and goes over other things besides Black Flash to show how the calc is an outlier.

This concentration theme is also presented blatantly in the novelization of the Vol Zero movie. So this has never been about reaction speed, which doesn't make sense in this context, there is nothing to react to when trying to hit Black Flash.
Is the novelization canon on site?

I'd urge ya to look at how Gojo's phrasing is: In Viz he says "I feel like", and "I should", in the TCB trans he says "Personally", "I Could". This is not only from Gojo's personal belief in what he thinks he can do but also, it's all phrased as possibility (could) or probability (should) in hitting it.
As mentioned earlier, Gojo is known to be anything that he tries, so the idea of him saying those words that are in relation to his personal feelings shouldn’t be used as a defeater to the argument.

The point on concentration doesn’t really have anything to do with what I said, so that point is fine, I suppose. Just that the greater MHS cap is due to the fact that it cannot be consistently landed due to the timeframe.

Novelization would be secondary canon so its fair use.

But with Gojo confirming that he can do the timing with no problem, I feel it fair to say that speed cap should be removed.

I support the OP

Edit: Take back what I said about the novelization of the movie, I'm not sure where we place the movie in terms of canon.

Last edited:
Removing the speed cap seems fine to me

Edit: I do also want to say though, even with the speed cap being removed, I don't believe any speed calcs would even be able to be made with this change. Black flashes rely on cursed energy being sent into an attack within that microsecond timeframe. Reactions and combat speed need actual movement within that timeframe and simply sending cursed energy into a strike can't really be utilized as "movement" and would probably be more like thinking or perception speed if anything. I don't think this really changes much but yeah just thought it should be mentioned.

Last edited:
Removing the speed cap seems fine to me

Edit: I do also want to say though, even with the speed cap being removed, I don't believe any speed calcs would even be able to be made with this change. Black flashes rely on cursed energy being sent into an attack within that microsecond timeframe. Reactions and combat speed need actual movement within that timeframe and simply sending cursed energy into a strike can't really be utilized as "movement" and would probably be more like thinking or perception speed if anything. I don't think this really changes much but yeah just thought it should be mentioned.
Well the actual problem of the rule is that any speed calcs that could potentially go to MHS+ or above would be automatically disbarred as long as it was in place without any room for argument or such. The original rule came out around the time a relativistic to ftl calc was making the rounds concerning Sukuna, and that killed any ability for it to be argued.

It's time
lebron-james-pounding-chest.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back