• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Stamina: A veritable clustertruck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stamina isn't a power, it's a statistic. How would we extend them? How would we use them when different levels of stamina are present in different areas? Do we need three different ranking systems?

I spoke with Crab briefly about this earlier. I feel neutral about it. Our stamina page admittedly isn't structured well but I think it would become complicated to flesh it out for relatively new benefit. I generally agree with Armor's first post, as well- at some point it becomes counter productive to try to elaborate further as the stat itself requires interpretation. This is about all I have to contribute to the conversation.

I'm in agreement with DDM, Prom and DT.

Though I wouldn't mind if we could put in some additional info regarding stamina and endurance-based feats.

Stamina isn't a power, it's a statistic. How would we extend them? How would we use them when different levels of stamina are present in different areas? Do we need three different ranking systems?
We could extend it to more than the levels we have in that page, and differentiating the kind of endurance needed to run or be active in a long time and the kind of endurance to resist serious injuries and whatnot.

I think that Promestein's draft for a new Stamina page seems good. Thank you very much for helping out. It is very appreciated. The text may need some minor tweaks for more formal/academic language though.

As for our Intelligence page. I really like and definitely want to keep our current system, as it creates a logical hierarchy depending on the extent of what a character can achieve via logical though. For example, warping reality in a wide variety of manners at a cosmic scale via sheer intelligence rates higher than merely making calculations at a pace comparable to real world supercomputers, and we also make a distinction between scientific skills and common sense when necessary. Although from what I recall, I was the one who mostly came up with and wrote the different tiers and definitions for the page.

Of course, with the recent introduction of quantum supercomputers, we may eventually be able to hack the math for redefining reality itself in a very advanced science fiction manner, which is also far more impressive than what we have traditionally grown accustomed to for this civilisation.

Last edited:
Is somebody who is good with word flow willing to take a look at and improve a bit on Promestein's draft text so the language turns strictly formal/academical? If not, I can try to handle it later.

After reading the above thread, I personally prefer if we avoid specific templates, especially as it requires the least amount of unrealistically drastic revisions for us to apply.

Well, in that case, we should probably stick with Low, Average, High, Very High, Extremely High, and Infinite, as that is what people use currently, just in a largely random manner.

Perhaps do you prefer to stick to Below Human, Human, Peak Human, Superhuman and Supernatural instead?

As for the draft, maybe a note about not being as hindered by hunger, thirst and lack of sleep, currently the page sounds it only refer to fatigue in general. Also, does enduring harsh weather during extend periods of time counts? I believe it should, but people more than often count it as resistance to heat/cold/atmosphere.

I think Infinite is better than Inexhaustible because it's currently used. And I disagree with Supernatural, I think once stamina reaches superhuman levels gauging it objectively is impossible.
Sensible for Supernatural.

My concern with Infinite is that it's easier for people to miscontrue it, with the various types of Stamina we're accounting for here. Inexhaustible is more explicitly about their ability to continue exerting energy

I mean, we already have notes on the profile that explain how it works, if people wanna wank then people gonna (try to) wank. I think Infinite is better cause if we use "Inexhaustible" all of our profiles with "Infinite" are obsolete

I was actually thinking of something like this:

Below Average Human > Average Human > Above Average Human > Athletic Human > Peak Human > Enhanced > Superhuman/Supernatural > Nigh-Absolute > Absolute

If you want to give your opinion ask for permission from a staff member first.

Any opinions on this update?
Seems fine.

Maybe one could add a little mention to the energy exertions mentioning how besides timeframe also other factors like, for example, how hard the exercise/fight is for the character can play a role for the ranking.
One could potentially also mention mental exhaustion, as one of the few limiting factors of infinite stamina. Then again, there are probably more unnamed variables than that, so one could also not do so.

Updated again with DT's suggestions.

Just for the record I think most feats currently listed as "Resistance to Pain Manipulation" or anything like that should be saddled under Stamina. You're not resisting pain manipulation if you power through it, you just have a good pain tolerance. Pain manipulation resistance is resisting the ability that causes the pain and not feeling the pain to power through.

Last edited:
A question: Should we separate the generalised "Superhuman" stamina type into one less and more extreme version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back