• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Staff Discussion rule addition (very non-controversial)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmortalDread

Call me Dread
Username Only
VS Battles
Retired

Bumping once every 24 hours​

This matter can be approached with ease. It has come to my attention that although this guideline has not been formally documented, it is widely acknowledged and followed. Numerous users have taken it upon themselves to caution their peers against reviving a discussion thread immediately after its creation or within a mere 15-minute window. Historically, an unwritten norm within our community dictates that threads should only be revived once every 24 hours.

With this in mind, I express the aspiration that substantive deliberations on this subject remain at a minimum, unless there is a collective consensus to revise the aforementioned time interval.

So, in short, I would like to add this rule:
Avoid bumping threads right after their creation; instead, follow the guideline that permits bumping once every 24 hours.

Staff Votes tally:
No, I don't think we really need to vote on this

Neutral. We don't need to make every custom a rule, it being a rule implies we can warn and subsequently punish people for it and I don't think it's been a big enough problem for any of that.

I mean, the rule itself serves as guideline, rather “hard rule”. So I don't think the concern is near valid.

Unofficially yes. Or do you mean it is written anywhere?
Here

Bump: If a thread lacks input from the community, you can type “Bump” (short for “Bring Up My Post”) to try and give it more attention. It's probably a good idea to wait a reasonable amount of time in between bumping a thread, say a few days between each bump.

Last edited:
The link is broken

Edit 1: I tried, and it did not work, but the user with yellow face told me in private that it is in Vs Battles Glossary

Oh, ya, my goal was to add it to discussion rules as a guideline.

Well, this is awkward.

That isn't actually a rule, again it's just a sort of custom that most people oblige because it makes sense to do so.
It seems like it seeing how consistently how we keep telling people not to bump before 24 hours

It seems like it seeing how consistently how we keep telling people not to bump before 24 hours
Right, but making it an actual rule would lead us to treating people doing that as rule violators, and thus getting punished for bumping. There's a difference between "knock it off" and "This is an official warning, next time you're cooked.", y'know?

Would the addition be redundant? I mean, it belongs to discussion rules area in my opinion. The “bump” in VSBW glossary serves rather as definition.

Right, but making it an actual rule would lead us to treating people doing that as rule violators, and thus getting punished for bumping. There's a difference between "knock it off" and "This is an official warning, next time you're cooked.", y'know?
Avoid bumping threads right after their creation; instead, follow the guideline that permits bumping once every 24 hours.
It is not a hard rule by any chance. So you can't be punished for it. (Well, unless you spam with it, I suppose?)

I'm not saying they need to be punished for it, it's just reminding people to not do that

I'm not saying they need to be punished for it, it's just reminding people to not do that
Right, which the glossary does fine, hence why I'm neutral on it being added to an official rule page. I'm just clarifying that what you linked isn't actually a rule.

Then there's no reason for this become a discussion rule

I suppose it can be closed. (or deleted if it is possible)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back