• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

[SPOILER] Pokémon SW/SH thread 2 [SPOILER]

Lavcore said:
you can not say to my face seriously that gen 6 worse than gen 7, gen 6 has mega evolution, that training game thing that helps boost ev's, Yveltal and Xerneas, One of the best legendary intro's in pokemon HISTORY and Mewtwo in the base game.
I fully agree. Gen 6 is so vastly above Gen 7 that it's not even funny.

I mean, at the end of the day, it's all personal preference. Like, I have explained Hau's character before but I ain't in the mood for Pokemon fan debates.

All in all, Green is still the best rival because he was an sassy little shit while still getting your ass into gear. Also, he wasn't overbearing by coming out of the woods damn near every 10 minutes to shower us with niceness and not much else. I rather like that Green acts like that friend we all had in highschool that opens up the conversation with a good-spirited insult.

Also, Gen II best gen because it truly felt like a sequel with a surprise appearance that was so massive that Red kept appearing damn near everywhere afterwards, had a post-game that features the core game of another game, and, as with Gen 1, the legendaries weren't forced down our throat.

I'm just sad that they neutered Gen II by not having them be relevant anywhere, and neutering Typhlosion especially by removing his blazing neckhair.

Gemmysaur said:
All in all, Green is still the best rival because he was an sassy little shit while still getting your ass into gear. Also, he wasn't overbearing by coming out of the woods damn near every 10 minutes to shower us with niceness and not much else. I rather like that Green acts like that friend we all had in highschool that opens up the conversation with a good-spirited insult.

Also, Gen II best gen because it truly felt like a sequel with a surprise appearance that was so massive that Red kept appearing damn near everywhere afterwards, had a post-game that features the core game of another game, and, as with Gen 1, the legendaries weren't forced down our throat.
Who's the best rival isn't even a question, Green is and has always been the only logical answer.

And you basically sumed up why I have HGSS as my favourite games, they took the already good games of Gen II and made them even better.

Gen 2( and i mean the remakes) is the best pokemon follow you around 2 REGIONS red as a final boss with an amazing theme, Shiny's, breeding and so much more.

and honestly the discussion should be who's the 2nd best rival(which is silver) because numero uno is obvious.

oh and i forgot Gen 6 has the best story i actually cried at the ending and lysandre was a good final boss the ultimate weapon made the stakes so much higher and AZ's personal struggles made me really feel for him.

I mean, it was the best for him. Same for me. I prefer Gen V over any other Gen personally. Everyone has different opinions on their favorite Gens.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
I mean, it was the best for him. Same for me. I prefer Gen V over any other Gen personally. Everyone has different opinions on their favorite Gens.
true, true.

I was reading through Bulbapedia, & I noticed that the fossils are named specifically. There's Fossilized Birds, Fossilized Drakes, Fossilized Dinos, & Fossilized Fish.

Bird + Drake = Dracozolt

Bird + Dino = Arctozolt

Fish + Drake = Dracovish

Fish + Dino = Arctovish

Looking at footage on Youtube, apparently, there's only top & bottom halves in Galar. Besides the obvious question of why all the fossils were split into upper & lower bodies & the upper & lower bodies for certain kinds are nowhere to find....

Assuming no same-kind pairs & reverse order is same as normal order: AB, AC, AD, BC, BD, CD.

GameFreak usually makes 4 Fossil Pokemon, counting evolutions (Wow, Gen 1 WAS "better" in that case.), but here, getting 4 means we're missing about 2!

I haven't actually been able to find dialogue saying what happens if you try to combine the unused Fossil Combinations. Presumably because the menu-ing options don't exist or there's version exclusive items. Could anyone tell me about the relevant dialogue?

Anyway, point is, we lack at the least:

Bird + Fish = Zoltvish

& Drake + Dino = Dracoarcto

Or however you'd name those. My best guess as to the lore is because we only have the top half of Bird & Fish, & the bottom half of Drake & Dino.

There's also the matching pair/whole fossil combos, obviously, which is another four Pokemon.

Amusingly, the scientist responsible for these malformed mismatch monsters is apparently named Cara Liss. "Careless", eh?

I wonder what the Bird+Fish, Drake+Dino, & "complete versions" of the Fossils would look like. I mean, supposing we found the bottom half of Bird & Fish & upper half of Drake & Dino, & complete versions of all 4 Fossils, anyway.

Any ideas, anyone?

Pardon all my wordyness, please, all.

I dunno how I'd rank them. I haven't finished Gen 5, I liked Platinum. Heard D/P weren't perfect, but HG/SS are great. Gen 7 isn't at the top of my list because the story interrupts the gameplay & there's a lack of postgame. Gen 6 is near Gen 7, more or less. I played Ruby most as a kid, but haven't experienced much else of Ruby, so unsure of Gen 3 as a whole. And I like Gen 1 & 2 for their more clearly connected continuity & tons of Glitch Pokemon... but Gen 3 has tons, too.

But who cares, right? Opinion's subjective & I can't even make up my mind on how to rank the generations!

Foxthefox1000 said:
Like I said, The Darkest Day can totally have a calc since it was a storm that spread across the entirety of the Galar region. It also made pokémon Dynamax across the region seemingly uncontrollably so Eternatus should also have Power Bestowal or something like that.
We could actually get a number for Eternatus instead of scaling it to Lugia. Has anyone tried? I'm a novice at calcs so I'm likely to get results incorrect
I'd give it a try, but I'm also a novice.

Gen 5 > Gen 4 > Gen 3 > Gen 6 > Gen 7 > Gen 8 > Gen 2 > Gen 1

Honestly tempted to put Gen 8 below Gen 2, considering Gen 2 added a lot of content from Gen 1, genuinely improved upon graphics, fixed many of the issues from Gen 1, etc whereas Gen 8 hasn't really done anything to make it any better than XY and USUM/SM but Gen 2 has a lot of issues with pokemon distribution, level scaling, etc that holds it back.

Gen 1 is objectively the worst game, but this is mostly due to being the first game resulting in awful sprites, bugs, lack of content, etc. I can't, in good mind, put it on the level of any other generation but it is understandably a result of being the first game that every other generation has improved upon.

I honestly didn't care much for Gen 7, and haven't played Gen 8, so I am rating Gen 8 below Gen 7 due to the lack of postgame content, dex cut, etc. I also don't like Leon or Hop from what I have watched thus far but my opinion may change on them.

Gen 6 has excuses as the first mainline 3D game, first to have customisation, etc but the reason I am rating above Gen 7 is due to generally less interruptions and lack of experience with the Gen 7 games. It seems like Gen 7 objectively has better and more postgame content an interesting story and more pokemon, but I'm not a fan of most of the pokemon in Alola.

Gen 3 is good but there is nothing that would make it anywhere on the same level as Gen 4, barring Gen 4 not having Secret Bases.

Gen 4 is objectively superior to Gen 3 in everyway due to all of the upgrades, updates, additions, etc that it added to the franchise by using Gen 3 as its base.

Gen 5 pretty much perfected the formula with all of the side quests, postgame, animated sprites, seasons, regional design, writing, and so on. It basically took Gen 4 and made just about every aspect better. The only criticism I have ever seen for Gen 5, at that, is a dislike for the Gen 5 pokemon designs.

I strongly feel my opinions on Gen 1 to 6 are accurate, but I haven't really played Gen 7 and won't be bothering with Gen 8 so my opinions on them are mostly developed from videos, reviews and comparing them to the first six generations.

Agreeing with all the gen 4 love here. Platinum especially. Incredible route/area themes and generally great battle themes, cool new Pokemon + evolutions, the best starter trio imo (bar maybe Hoenn) and it was a legitimate challenge, something we didn't get as much in later games bar the odd battle like Ghetsis or Ultra Necrozma.

Not to mention that gen 4 had the best spinoff games and the best anime season imo bar maybe gen 6.

Very neat picture dump.

@GyroNutz I'm playing the enhancement hack, Renegade Platinum, and it's really revitalised my love for Pokemon and affection for Gen 4. I think Gen 5 was overall better but the Gen 4 games (Platinum and HGSS) are easily my favourites of all the mainlines by far.

And you are right that Gen 4 had the best spin-offs. Explorers and Shadows of Almia are god-tiers.

Anyway, i was at work and sleeping when the thing about regions was talked, still worth it to give my opinion on them?

Just looking at the examples, calcing Eternatus' storm won't change the tier. The storm is below e20 Joules. And currently he scales above e23 Joules.

I'll be honest, i only played some pokemon games as i have no nwitch or n3ds, but i watched the gameplay and story and i did play some of them. let's just delete the age where it was developed facotr and legitematly compare the graphics and animations. we dont count in the remakes.

Graphic wise pokemon Sword and shield... was amazing in my opinon. The characters were full sized and some of the sceneries were far beyond what i've seen in the other games. we just keep using the age factor and ignore the fact that this pretty much has the best graphics in the franchise as it is clean 3d animations without any particles showing up like in the n3ds games. Also the gigantamax pokemon are amazing. we are focusing on the trees which we give no crap about really. 8.5/10

Animations. People complain about them, but i think they are great. There are problems, yes, but they focused more on the character animation. The main character now has expressions in the cutscenes. Hop's hand animation? people say that it is the same as Hau's, but i looked closer and im pretty sure that it is not. signature attack animations are great. Gigamax are cool, i really like everything. 9/10

Story. It is bad in my opinion, but only compared to gen 4-7. I'd put it around gen 3. It is just way too rushed and the part where you invade the facility is just weird as you literally just barge in because the champion is being late for dinner. I'd say it had potential but the finale came out of nowhere. If they were to fix the finale then it would actually be good. Post-game is cool tho. 6/10

Characters. May be the most character developed game in pokemon. Hop is a 10/10 character. You actually feel pity for him and he now actually gets truly internally upset about it and you kinda feel him slowly breaking. He tries hard and becasue of that i love him. People say that he is Hau 2.0... they are somewhat similar. but it is like comparing a cannon to a gun. Both are usually black or gray ad both shoot. But the difference is still massive. Marnie is very cool and fun. Bede's story is both saddenign and hillarious and his CD is noticable. Piers is the best gym leader in the games in my opinion. he is the 1st dark gym leader, he helps you a lot and just kinda chills with you in the final and post games. Leon is actually acting like champion. He is very powerful, helps people and actually tries to save the world instead of just staying on the sidelines and telling you to just "yeah you (a 10-14 y/o kid) can beat that ancinet multiverse busting lovecraftian horror, go on, don't be shy". He is a good character, maybe the best, or at least one of the top champions. 10/10

Pokemon. Dexit was trash as it cut off a lot of cool pokemon and also cut off the three of my favorite pokemon (Why the hell did you swap freaking clefairy for for a Wigglytuff/Jigglypuff?). Otherwise, the new pokemon are mostly good, some fo them looking not so great, but the others compensating for that. G-forms are amazing. And then there is Eternatus. He is now one of my most favorite pokemon. 7.5/10

Gameplay. It's alright. It is somewhat simple but most people who i saw playing actualy got swept at least once. The game is both simple and har, but most importantly, fun. 8/10

Overall: The game gets an 8.2/10.

I'd put it above gen 1,2,3,6. it is better that BW1 but somewhat lower than BW2 and S/M.

Lots of people consider them the best Pokemon games so that is an unpopular opinion.

The Pokémon fandom is such a broken mess that everyone disagrees with everyone, so "unpopular oppinion" isn't really an accurate argument.

I don't think Gigantamax is mechanically any different from Dynamax, so it would have to be based on any lore that would segregate the powers of Dynamax and Gigantamax pokemon.

Scary thing I discovered today: Regardless of Eternatus being 6-B or High 6-B, it'll not be the most powerful non-smurf of its tier, despite that absolutely disgustingly broken powernull it has.

Back