• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Spell Card User Upgrades (Touhou Revisions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Siphoning this from a WIP CRT since the one I originally wanted to post got thrown off track for reasons. Should be pretty quick and uncontroversial (I hope).

Spell cards are created by giving names to them, which in turn determine their meaning and power.
s1OTMAbbT7LwojA9Spgcv_stPkXtMbZVSz-cYoQP_8zDNxutwoqZ4Er0CSxp2pNcBflxigq3co0jzXf3ZdpSGkik3kRZ30B82GrsNFuQE1sEfZtO6UaUt8-4BtU6ZYfBWztr8-8-

43WVkekVGNztK2vB8fH4r_qX4OxlD4a-2_JFmH-fZlViwlgDE-MuUQEeshsqQ5SheRv5MX-0luoI-nYijhuato58-SOIJ7C52u9f0MhKAuCArPTUmDl7ZW9PrwD9WqJVTkKcu9Lw

IC_MUNE9KFpGa7gJzlhKSGkp1pQKX1JQLxzmbNzWyuLxPlnJfOnuKZdOOMWhkORIIhBGMGMhiEbs5bIroS_5PsOBHs_V0CqQ9VowulTn1n40xz__S6DJqzqqC0hhRYdGOSBvdiLI

With that in mind, these names obviously hold some degree of supernatural power as they are quite literally the defining factor of what allows magical attacks to work. Given that they are creating form and function out of essentially nothing, we can equate them to ‘names’ in the conceptual sense; ie; The type 1 concepts that defined all of reality at the beginning of creation.

Now obviously your average spell card user isn’t going to be on the same level of reality warping as Yukari or the primordial gods; they’re only really capable of utilizing names in the act of creating spell cards, making this a very limited form of Conceptual Manipulation (Type 1). And of course, since bestowing a name to something is the act of creating something from nothing, this would also be Limited Creation.

But we’re not done yet. As stated by Marisa in AFiEU, a spell card is able to turn ordinarily lethal attacks (like punching a hole through somebody’s chest) into nonlethal ones.
IXEjbDiwgSJPnhVpjUj7LMkgLxETHq04fiy0eMx5uU_ycckJ1fJP9EYkE0pneElIBZ3IpOhol-bhKe41_kyyWtHgnIRvHZhVNsEedaskTl72od0z32HbPIi4l-xkoMHpNp_6aXKR

Note that this does not mean spell cards are intrinsically nonlethal; It’s very clearly up to the user’s intent, as other spell cards in the same section of AFiEU are described as straight up lethal, and Junko’s spell cards are quite literally designed to kill people. With spell cards changing the very nature of one’s techniques, it’s pretty blatantly Power Modification.

Keep in mind that this can even be extended to other people’s techniques, even those that don’t attack through conventional means, since Marisa was able to limit Reimu’s Fantasy Nature in a similar manner. This means like 90% of Touhou characters have the ability to essentially null or modify any technique by ‘gameifying’ it (or at least limit it to such an extent that it’s easier to overcome).

TL;DR: Every spell card user gets Limited Conceptual Manipulation (Type 1), Limited Creation (The process of creating a spell card requires giving it a 'name' to define its form and power, not unlike how the gods gave 'names' to everything at the beginning of reality to give them form from nothingness, albeit on a much smaller scale), and Power Modification (Spell card users are capable of changing the traits of any attack or ability by naming it, being able to turn ordinarily lethal attacks into nonlethal ones, or severely restricting the potency of an ability by 'gameifying' it).

Eh, it'll mostly just be copy/pasting what I have in my sandbox, I think I got it covered, thanks for the offer though.

Also feel free to do that other CRT you mentioned after this one, I don't have anything else lined up rn

Names define existence, without name one cannot be perceived to exist in the world.
I’m not talking about this, I am asking how defining the abilities of a spell cards with names that already exists in the verse a creation feat of CM feat when it can just as well be name bestowal(power bestowal in this case)

Yeah giving things names is conceptual manipulation, even if it was power bestowal we'd still list it as CM1 since it'd be specifically bestowing a concept on the target.

You only need bump once in 24hrs
Yeah giving things names is conceptual manipulation, even if it was power bestowal we'd still list it as CM1 since it'd be specifically bestowing a concept on the target.
Isn’t creating names strictly the CM from what I recall and giving things name that already exist is an inverse mechanism they are not interacting with any concepts

That's uh, not what CM is? You can control a concept without creating it from scratch, which is obviously what's going on here.

For the last ******* time, Lady not man
Can’t you read or are you blind or something?
Where's your pronoun lol, idk who are you, you actin like i know who you are.
Isn’t creating names strictly the CM from what I recall and giving things name that already exist is an inverse mechanism they are not interacting with any concepts
No, giving names is Conceptual Manipulation, literally on the scan.

That's uh, not what CM is? You can control a concept without creating it from scratch, which is obviously what's going on here.
Please read my arguments properly, I said naming something and it gaining the corresponding attributes of a name previously existing in their verse, is an inverse mechanism and the person naming the object is not interacting with any concept
Where's your pronoun lol, idk who are you, you actin like i know who you are.
I don’t need pronouns when I previously told you above what you should use when referring to me and you thought it was a joke.
Anyway there will be no third time

"Not interacting with any concept"? They're literally giving concepts to things, that's about as blatant as you can get for CM.

Also most of these names don't even previously exist, names like Love Sign "Master Spark" did not apply to literally any other thing in-verse until Marisa basically made it a thing.

"Not interacting with any concept"? They're literally giving concepts to things, that's about as blatant as you can get for CM.
Nope looking for a blatant CM check instant death
Anyway like I said all what you mentioned still falls under in-verse mechanisms but do your thing Touhou is not my thing

???????

What the **** does Instant Death have to do with anything.....

Also it being an in-verse mechanic just. Isn't a point? That doesn't mean it's not CM???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back