• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sega has really been showing a confidence in Sonic that hasn't been present in a long time and it's honestly refreshing and exciting

Also new art for the game

Seems like there are going to be a ton of differences between the English and Japanese scripts, there are some that aren't even talking the same thing in any similar way.

That's interesting, I wonder what led to that choice

Seems like I'll be doing 2 playthroughs one japanese, one english

I like that now at least it's more consistent in what the script is about, as I remember an interview with Kishimoto saying that he wrote some of his stuff for the Japanese script after Ian did the English script, so there's more of a clear back and forth even more considering how much more connected the making of the game is, although I wouldn't be surprised if some information is exclusive to certain versions of the script just due to writers preferences and styles.

although I wouldn't be surprised if some information is exclusive to certain versions of the script just due to writers preferences and styles.
Yeah that's where my mind went, there could easily be some context or stuff that goes under the radar in one version that's present in the other but yeah it's certainly interesting to read the both of them back to back and see how they each portray Sonic and Sage

Kishimoto explains the reason for the changes here, and yes, we can expect some extra info added for the Asian versions of the game

Iizuka: In designing this game, we needed to create a narrative in which Sonic, who knows nothing about the setting where the game takes place, explores the location. Also, Ian Flynn, a writer who makes Sonic comics overseas, is very popular with fans, so we asked him to write the script for the game as well.

Kishimoto: What I asked for in terms of storytelling was to add flavor to the Japanese and Asian versions. The basic plot was perfect for Sonic, so I added some interesting elements from Japanese comic culture to the Japanese and Asian versions of the scenario, such as giving the dialogue a backstory and leaving room for the reader's imagination.

So basically, in order to make the game feel more "manga-like", Kishimoto added extra backstory and settings to the dialogue for the Japanese version while still keeping some mysteries to the reader imagination.

Kishimoto explains the reason for the changes here, and yes, we can expect some extra info added for the Asian versions of the game

Iizuka: In designing this game, we needed to create a narrative in which Sonic, who knows nothing about the setting where the game takes place, explores the location. Also, Ian Flynn, a writer who makes Sonic comics overseas, is very popular with fans, so we asked him to write the script for the game as well.

Kishimoto: What I asked for in terms of storytelling was to add flavor to the Japanese and Asian versions. The basic plot was perfect for Sonic, so I added some interesting elements from Japanese comic culture to the Japanese and Asian versions of the scenario, such as giving the dialogue a backstory and leaving room for the reader's imagination.

So basically, in order to make the game feel more "manga-like", Kishimoto added extra backstory and settings to the dialogue for the Japanese version while still keeping some mysteries to the reader imagination.
Ah okay well I can say that's definitely evident considering the 2 versions we just read the japanese scripts "This is getting fun" was very shounen manga like considering his situation

"Up until now, in Sonic games, Super Sonic would only appear against the last boss. Imagine if the first boss in Sonic Frontiers is as strong as those bosses."
Can't wait for people to use this like that line about Infinite being Sonic's strongest foe.

"Up until now, in Sonic games, Super Sonic would only appear against the last boss. Imagine if the first boss in Sonic Frontiers is as strong as those bosses."
Can't wait for people to use this like that line about Infinite being Sonic's strongest foe.
This would be infinitely more valid tho considering the actual need for Super Sonic no pun intended

the most funny part is that even Flynn acknowledges that Infinite is nowhere close to the most powerful enemies Sonic faced up to this date

It's weird that they promoted Infinite as somehow being Sonic's strongest enemy when they probably had to see that Sonic and Avatar could individually, or together, beat Infinite around without the need for Super Sonic.
Like at least they could've had Infinite fight Super Sonic, but I guess that wasn't on Pontac and Graff's minds

For real? That does explain why Forces felt different then compared to the other 2010's games.
Still I can't help but wonder if that makes it more egregious or not

The only game story that they wrote for was Sonic Lost World, everything else they just localized the script, that's all.

The only game story that they wrote for was Sonic Lost World, everything else they just localized the script, that's all.
Well that explains why Lost World had a bad story but I won't beat a dead horse.
I'm actually a little surprised that it's been Sonic Team that has been writing these stories because I was always under the impression that SEGA hired the duo to do the writing

Well that explains why Lost World had a bad story but I won't beat a dead horse.
I'm actually a little surprised that it's been Sonic Team that has been writing these stories because I was always under the impression that SEGA hired the duo to do the writing
The process mostly follows that they have a basic structure with plot points and world details, someone makes a script about those points, and then it gets translated to other languages.

Like Sonic Frontiers, Ian Flynn was in charge of making the in-game dialogue, but the world details and background were already something that Sonic Team had decided, while Flynn went over to make dialogue and bring the idea of making easter eggs to other parts of the Sonic series. This is always what happens, at best what can happen differently is who makes the first script from the game, like with Frontiers it was Ian Flynn, with Lost World it was Pontac and Graff, and so on.

So basically:
Sonic Team tells the writers what the premise and general plot points are, and the writers in turn write the script based on said points? Makes sense, though I'd imagine that due to localizations the dialogue can be quite different in one country in comparison to the other

Another interview confirms what I just said, Kishimoto's team came up with the concept, Ian Flynn made a script for it, then Kishimoto rewrote all of Ian's script.

── How did you decide on the storyline and world setting?

Iizuka: For the story, we first asked Kishimoto's team to come up with a concept for the game. Since it is a mysterious island, we asked Ian Flynn, a comic writer active in the U.S., to write the scenario based on our suggestion that "players themselves should find out what happens there". This is the first time he has written a scenario for a game, so it seems that fans overseas are looking forward to it.

── What was the reaction when you asked Ian to write the scenario?

Iizuka: He was very pleased. He is one of the top five Sonic fans in the world. I myself had hoped to use him someday, so this was a perfect match.

Kishimoto: The scenario is perfectly OK because it will be written by a popular American author. But this time, the development team is also very keen to compete in Japan and Asia.

── Sonic is more popular in the West than in Japan, isn't it?

Kishimoto: That's right. Our main goal was to "make Sonic Team shine in the world one more time". To achieve this, we needed to optimize Ian's scenario for the Japanese market. So I rewrote all the dialogue for the Japanese market. The context of the language has been tuned for the Japanese, such as "Japanese would not take it this way" or "they would read the other side of the words." Of course, the content of the story has not changed. I hope you will also pay attention to the dialogue that I rewrote for Japan and Asia.

Iizuka: For example, if you watch with Japanese subtitles and English audio, the lines will be completely different.

Kishimoto: This is the first time in the "Sonic" series that we have attempted to separate the specifications in this way. That's how much we want to compete this time. The open zones, the sadness, the music, the scenario, everything, we want to bring back "Sonic Team shining in the world" one more time.

── Does that mean there is a difference in promotion between Japan and overseas?

Iizuka:
Yes, there are. The key visuals are different. The same approach would not work in the West, where people know the base culture of Sonic, and in Japan and Asia, where we are trying to spread Sonic. Therefore, we changed the key visuals to reach out to both Japan/Asia and the West. This is also the first attempt, just like the scenario dialogue mentioned earlier. Until now, we have only used a common key visual.

That's interesting, it would explain why the dialogue in Japanese is radically different then what most American Sonic fans are use to.
If the Japanese dub and English dub will have different dialogue then I hope they add in the option to use the Japanese subtitles

I don’t see why the Japanese dialogue is to be held in higher regards in this case. Seems like a rare case where none overwrite the other. The original in this case being the English script.

Also, that director statement on super sonic and the titans. So the first titan we see is actually a super sonic final boss tier. Jesus, I think Sonic is going to have a new form in this game.

Isn't Sonic not that popular in Japan, to see it hyped up this much is crazy. I'm still gonna wait until the actual game comes out to see if we're truly eating good this time around
Yup so this is actually pretty insane
Iizuka:
Yes, there are. The key visuals are different. The same approach would not work in the West, where people know the base culture of Sonic, and in Japan and Asia, where we are trying to spread Sonic.

Other than saying that Sonic Frontiers is "targeted to adolescents and young adults while previous games were for children", they also explained some differences between the American (+Europe) and Japanese/Asian Sonic.

--You said that you are trying to keep a balance between "Sonic-ness" and "un-ness," but, the game is not targeted at a specific region, such as Japan or overseas, or is it?

Kishimoto: Basically, we make our games so that they can be enjoyed by people in any region. However, while Sonic games to date have been supported by a great number of people in Europe and the United States, I have a feeling that the Japanese audience is not as receptive as overseas. However, I think this means that there is still room for growth. Therefore, there are some tricks that resonate with Japanese game fans. For example, Japanese people are familiar with manga, anime, and special effects, so we have prepared a serious, deep, and thought-provoking worldview.

Iizuka: As you may have already noticed, the key visuals for this title are different for Japan and Asia than for the United States and Europe. In this way, we are also promoting the game in a way that will resonate with fans of both. In the West, Sonic is an action character, so the visuals are designed to convey the action aspect of the game. On the other hand, for the Japanese and Asian markets, the images are more subdued and have a sense of storytelling.

I guess you haven't been on here, Quora or Sonic powerscaling circles long enough to know about the one who shall not be named

EDIT: After watching it, I'm not gonna go into the whole transfinite mathematics, quantum mechanics, dimensional slippage as I doubt those are expanded upon. The "mythos creatures" would definitely qualify for Type 4 Acausality I think (They do not conform to the normal laws of science and their existence defies normal laws)

Another EDIT: Once again insert number here-dimensional or something of the sort is used in a Sonic continuity and once again, it fails to imply higher-dimensionality. "Sigh", at this point we can only dream of a 5,000,000-D Sonic continuity

Last edited:
On another note entirely, even if Solaris existed in only 3 time periods, it would still be an Immeasurable speed feat as 2 of the superhogs would need to go to those time periods and in the cutscenes we literally see them fly to fight Solaris, no Chaos Control, no gimmicks, no portals, nothing.

Unrelated note but.
Is it like, confirmed confirmed that every person gets their own little slice of Maginaryworld? Whenever they talk about the dream worlds they refer to them as being created by a plurality (those who dream of peace, those who dream of adventure, etc.) I know individuals can have their own dreams, I was just wondering if it was possible those dreams could be lumped together with dreams of a similar concept as one world in Maginaryworld.

Back