• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
the titans really do give me metalrex vibes not gonna lie, and sage gives me cosmo vibes.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s revealed they got inspired by the anime. Wouldn’t blame them since I always found the last arc of the anime to be the best.

I'm calling it. Sage will end up dead by the roll of the credits.
Tbh most one off villains/antagonists turned out to be pretty popular (Mephiles, Merlina and Hard Boiled Heavies).

Sage potentially dying in Frontiers might be a blessing in disguise to prevent her from becoming a future jobber cough cough... Metal Sonic.

Sage potentially dying in Frontiers might be a blessing in disguise to prevent her from becoming a future jobber cough cough... Metal Sonic.
Hey, Metal Sonic isn't a jobber just think of all the fights he's won since his introduction in Sonic CD, like...

uh...

There's bosses in Sonic Rivals 2 he beats, that's gotta count as something, right?

Just got done binging a bunch of Sonic Frontiers gameplay recorded at EGX and listening to the opinions of people who've played the game and I gotta say, while the cyberspace levels do be seeming a little iffy with their reused level design (Although I think it's kinda raw that they're also using level design from non-boost games like the original City Escape from SA2), overall this game looking like it might be peak ngl

Just got done binging a bunch of Sonic Frontiers gameplay recorded at EGX and listening to the opinions of people who've played the game and I gotta say, while the cyberspace levels do be seeming a little iffy with their reused level design (Although I think it's kinda raw that they're also using level design from non-boost games like the original City Escape from SA2), overall this game looking like it might be peak ngl
overall this game looking like it might be peak ngl
well great expectations about the OST for me
Frontiers has to deliver something of this level

Off topic but, I noticed Void has yet to have his statistics updated. I believe it was his physicals scaling to the base characters, and then 2-B via corruption hax, or something like that.

It seems that not only Two Worlds was killed, but Iizuka also wants a single main Sonic universe shared between all mediums, at least from this interview.

Sonic Stadium: So there’s been a lot of excitement about Ian Flynn’s involvement in crafting the story beats with Sonic Team for Sonic Frontiers. What does it mean for the direction of the Sonic game series, to have people involved with the licensed comic book series contribute to the stories of mainline games?

Takashi Iizuka: We’ve had lots of different writers involved with the Sonic series for the longest time, but in this day and age it’s really interesting as we now have Sonic in games, Sonic in comic books, Sonic in movies… we have lots of different Sonics all throughout the different entertainment mediums for fans to see. And one of the things I really wanted to do is solidify everything, get it all a little tighter in terms of a unified Sonic experience.

So what I wanted to do [with Sonic Frontiers] was make sure that, while the past comic books were its own separate thing, by having Ian Flynn – who’s doing the IDW comics – also work with us on the game… it’s kind of bringing the comics and the games a little bit closer together, in this unified Sonic experience. It’s really all about that unification, to me, and making sure we’re putting a very unified version of Sonic out there.

Sonic Stadium:
That’s very interesting! Then… should we expect to see more crossovers or collaborations between the games, comics – maybe even the movies – in the future? Or do you see each of those things as very much different universes in your mind, despite collaborations like in Sonic Frontiers?

Takashi Iizuka: Well I think that… even with the [Sonic] Netflix TV show that’s going to be on air soon and the [IDW] comic series… it’s always best having one universe [to connect them]. For the movies though, it’s a little too hard to reasonably incorporate this realistic-looking Sonic, with real human being friends and real planet Earth… all of those things are a bit difficult to put into the games [laughs]! But if we’re talking about the comics, the Netflix series and the games? Moving forward, the idea of trying to get all of them into the same universe – or even if it’s not exactly the same universe, at least having them feel like they’re part of a connected universe – is something that’s very important to us.

Even though it's not necessarily the same universe per se, at least for now, the general idea according to Iizuka is the same one I have about the same shared worldview and settings and even though the events aren't 100% 1 to 1 in every one of them, it's still similar enough that you can think of them as being the same world. Particularly I remember staff at Man of Action saying that the series was taking place in "game's Sonic world". In the last Bumbleking Q&A Ian Flynn also shared this idea of considering recent tie-in material as valid to each other, not in a 100% level of course, but putting the games at Tier 1 canon, comics and other tie-ins at Tier 2 and then manuals and other promotional material at Tier 3, he considers that as long as it's consistent recent stuff is "good enough" to be used between all the mediums.

Although there are still some retcons and inconsistencies and some stuff still up to be decided and retconned in any future Tailstube video, going by that the material seems to follow

Tier 1: Japanese Sonic games and official material made by the game staff (Such as the Twitter stuff according to Ian Flynn, they are all canonical and his stuff is based upon those settings)

Tier 2: Recent tie-in material that fits with the worldview (IDW! Sonic and Netflix Sonic)

Tier 3: Old official material connected to the games as long as they don't contradict higher stuff (Like old manuals, guidebooks, magazines).

Last edited:
Agreed you can't expect any type of sensible answer when relying on WoG and argument from belief. Also Ian Flynn isn't the end all be all of Sonic, it's Sega that gets final say on the lore and Ian is just one voice in an international company/franchise (by that logic Goku also beats all versions of Superman because Sean Schemmel said so on a couple of occasions).
DB has that same problem too. Not long ago a director argued that Goku could not destroy a universe. When corrected on the matter, instead of correcting themselves, they just wrote “even if he could, he wouldn’t do it”.

Are writers like not in sync with the characters they work with? I understand power scaling is the least important factor in writing, but Jesus man be aware of the feats of a character.

We're really back in the prime time of Sonic games man🥲 everything from fontiers is just so good the more we see of it, ya boy is a little bit teary eyed with nostalgia from the last really good sonic games and I'm getting the same vibes from Frontiers

We're really back in the prime time of Sonic games man🥲 everything from fontiers is just so good the more we see of it, ya boy is a little bit teary eyed with nostalgia from the last really good sonic games and I'm getting the same vibes from Frontiers

I'm not clicking that, gotta avoid any pre-release bias that might implant some unfair preconceptions.

I'm not clicking that, gotta avoid any pre-release bias that might implant some unfair preconceptions.
that's fair this track is gonna send you to the early 2000s for sure but daaamn now I gotta know how this game ends for this to be the track they end it on like it has to be crazy

Back