• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
For better or worse, Ian Flynn is a writer for the franchise, and has helped the lore team (as far as I understand), however (for better) his word is far from the most important.
I follow these rules about what he says:
Is he talking about the script of a game, in which he was a writer (or the comics)?
Obviously takes his opinion into account, no matter how silly it may be, unless it obviously contradicts something in the canon
He didn't work on it, but he specifies where what he's saying is coming from and it's not him?
I don't see a problem, but in a conflict between canon things, obviusly what he says takes a back seat.
If he says it's his own opinion?
Ignore it completely
If he talks about powerscaling?
Ignore it completely
Does it directly contradict canon, or someone more relevant at sonic/sega said something that directly contradicts Ian Flynn?
Ignore Ian Flynn completely
He talks about the canon?
the same as the second, but at least we know that it has been in lore team discussions

An example of when his word should be taken into account: Canonicity of Sonic Origins scenes
Example of when not: Someone else already posted it, but even if not, you know
Please, don't go to any extremes, this is the closest thing we have to internal Sonic info (apparently there is already a timeline established, but Sega doesn't want to tell us)

Last edited:
Ian expressed that, since Sonic reached the end of Null Space, Null Space must have an end, and thus, he feels it shouldn't be infinite in size.
I don't agree, but, I can see where he's coming from. It makes sense.

Ian expressed that, since Sonic reached the end of Null Space, Null Space must have an end, and thus, he feels it shouldn't be infinite in size.
ignoring that Nullspace is basically clossed up from anything

I'm not sure if there are rules against it, but, for me, it is something I would prefer to avoid.
To be fair, the avatar image of the majority here is used without permission from its creator, I don't see much difference in terms of morality as long as you only use it as a forum avatar
(However, you will never see me using AI for images, only for school)

Last edited:
Please, don't go to any extremes, this is the closest thing we have to internal Sonic info
Yeah, that's my concern, somewhat. I feel people just use any excuse to be rude to another human being, over VS of all things. There are people on Twitter out to get this guy already. I don't want this space to be one that allows the same.

To be fair, that sounds more like an opinion than a statement.

Yeah! He's just expressing his own thoughts, here.
Although, I would like that to be canon (I don't like Sonic Infinite Speed at base [although considering that Sonic needs the double boost to be able to get out of there, it's more of an anti-feat for Sonic Infinite prior to frontiers than anything else])

Although, I would like that to be canon (I don't like Sonic Infinite Speed at base [although considering that Sonic needs the double boost to be able to get out of there, it's more of an anti-feat for Sonic Infinite prior to frontiers than anything else])

I really don't see why not, Sonic can escape the Arabian nights with pure speed, without portals, and an infinite divided in two is infinite.

I just searched for Encyclo-speed-ia to check some things, and I ended up downloading it
I had never read it, and to be honest I expected more than what it really was.
anyway, that's all

Hey, all. I figured I would let you know the verse's timeline blog was heavily updated (read:improved) recently. Major thanks to @Fireld for kicking my ass into gear after I got lazy with it, he's a literal chad.
Awesome! Just move the Sonic Riders game to the spot that they should be with thier release dates, because your reasoning for not doing so is weak to be honest. Just that "it doesn't feel right". Other than that, I love this blog. Even Sonic lore fans who aren't power scalers should be referred to it.

Hey, all. I figured I would let you know the verse's timeline blog was heavily updated (read:improved) recently. Major thanks to @Fireld for kicking my ass into gear after I got lazy with it, he's a literal chad.
Starline Saga eh? Well........ig we don't have a better way to classify the post metal virus storyline fitting that he dies at the end

Man it became so much better looking bro, would have liked to have the IDW Comics in the main section, tho i can see why that wasn't done only 1 reference makes my referenced obssesed beyond healthy measures BRAIN get mad tho.....but then again i am me, look at Modern Sonic's profile 354 lol

Starline Saga eh? Well........ig we don't have a better way to classify the post metal virus storyline fitting that he dies at the end

Man it became so much better looking bro, would have liked to have the IDW Comics in the main section, tho i can see why that wasn't done only 1 reference makes my referenced obssesed beyond healthy measures BRAIN get mad tho.....but then again i am me, look at Modern Sonic's profile 354 lol
I would have liked to see everything canon in the main section, regardless of whether it's a game, comic, Netflix show, or Youtube show. It ties everything together more clearly

Awesome! Just move the Sonic Riders game to the spot that they should be with thier release dates, because your reasoning for not doing so is weak to be honest. Just that "it doesn't feel right". Other than that, I love this blog. Even Sonic lore fans who aren't power scalers should be referred to it.
Silver is unlockable in Zero Gravity, as is Blaze, I believe. Not hard evidence, but, it does support ZG taking place post 06. Riders 1 has NiGHTS, which is super cool, for me.

I am curious, though. IDW is secondary canon, but, Sonic Channel and animations are primary canon? Why so, if you'd be okay talking of it?
Mainly because the animations usually have no actual depth in which they can contradict the source material. It's purely additive, essentially nothing can be an error by them being primary canon. Knuckles' Frontiers Prologue is a perfect example. IDW has much more substance, and can convey information which Ian himself has said to ignore if it contradicts the games.

Sonic Channel Stories you can argue is Secondary I suppose, but they usually do a good job at aligning with what's established in the games. Those such as the 2021 Stories, or Otherworld Comedy, come to mind immediately.

If you'd be okay with going into this further, what examples from the Channel stories do you feel work well with the games, if IDW is secondary, presumably for not doing so?

If you'd be okay with going into this further, what examples from the Channel stories do you feel work well with the games, if IDW is secondary, presumably for not doing so?
Sure. In the 2021 Stories, the one with Rouge, Sonic visits the decrepit remains of Unleashed's Eggmanland despite obviously never seeing it again after the 2008 title in any form. There are other examples that aren't coming to mind because it's been about a year since I read them last.

Here's just one example. In IDW Issue #59 (iirc), after the heroes convene with Team Dark in Eggperial City, Shadow claims he can't use Chaos Powers without an Emerald despite instances like Sonic Battle and Sonic Forces showing otherwise. In the former's case, much of his moveset is reliant on Chaos Powers regardless of points in the narrative where he doesn't have them.

Sonic Question Time: We all know we're in the phase of game-only and comic-only characters as of late, so here's something. What characters are you most excited to see in the comic that have only appeared in the games, or vice versa? (Bonus points if you don't mention Sage, Tangle, or Sticks)

Sonic Question Time: We all know we're in the phase of game-only and comic-only characters as of late, so here's something. What characters are you most excited to see in the comic that have only appeared in the games, or vice versa? (Bonus points if you don't mention Sage, Tangle, or Sticks)
Sonic Forces speed battle tho

In terms of game only characters…
Well I imagine they might make a one-shot about the Black Arms to tie into Shadow Generations so, maybe the old GUN Commander.

I'd say the Black Arms would be pretty cool to see again, if specifically to see the time period where Black Doom gave Gerald his DNA to help complete Shadow.

Sure. In the 2021 Stories, the one with Rouge, Sonic visits the decrepit remains of Unleashed's Eggmanland despite obviously never seeing it again after the 2008 title in any form. There are other examples that aren't coming to mind because it's been about a year since I read them last.

Here's just one example. In IDW Issue #59 (iirc), after the heroes convene with Team Dark in Eggperial City, Shadow claims he can't use Chaos Powers without an Emerald despite instances like Sonic Battle and Sonic Forces showing otherwise. In the former's case, much of his moveset is reliant on Chaos Powers regardless of points in the narrative where he doesn't have them.
Thank you! I really appreciate it.
I do, though, have some issue with both examples. Both these S.Channel stories and IDW have followed up on events and points from the games. For IDW, it starts right off of Forces, and when infected by the Metal Virus, I believe, Sonic acknowledges how he had been afflicted with something during the events of Sonic Unleashed and Sonic and the Secret Rings.

And, I went to issue #59 to check, since I could jump to it quickly. Shadow does say, "... I don't have the energy to perform Chaos Control without a Chaos Emerald. And, in the next page, when drawing power from Dr.Eggman's fake Emeralds, Shadow is shown teleporting, and possibly stopping time, in the bottom-right corner. I think the move Shadow does in the intro to Shadow05, as well as his homing attack in Shadow Generations, is technically not Chaos Control? Apparently, it's Chaos Snap, from what I've heard. Still teleportation, but, not on the scale of Chaos Control. But, yeah. So, he says he needs am Emerald for Chaos Control, but, not technically said for Chaos powers in general.
Also, in the 2021 Shadow S.Channel story, it does say, " “Chaos Control”… Shadow’s signature move is using the power of the Chaos Emeralds to warp space. ". It doesn't say he specifically needs an emerald for Chaos Control, but it does repeatedly put emphasis on the fact of Shadow using an Emerald to perform the technique.
The story also talks about the Chaos Emerald "not being at its best" and basically being worn out. I don't think that's too major, but, I feel like the Emeralds shouldn't get tired, though. It might have something to do with that year's overall story though, to be fair. I could definitely be forgetting if we know why the Emerald was acting down, so to speak. ( Also, this story says that the moon is a full moon, but our moon couldn't do that if it were blown apart, like in SA2. I know this detail is inconsistent in literally every single appearance of the moon since it happened, but, still sort of funny to mention. )

Mecha Sonic MK.1 just being Mecha Godzilla has way too much potential to only be a boss fight, I feel. I feel Mecha1 could be a distinct character, even compared to Metal and Mecha Mk.2. It'd be really cool to see such a trapped entity forced to be a weapon.

Also, am I allowed to say NiGHTS?

Back