• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Thank you! I really appreciate it.
I do, though, have some issue with both examples. Both these S.Channel stories and IDW have followed up on events and points from the games. For IDW, it starts right off of Forces, and when infected by the Metal Virus, I believe, Sonic acknowledges how he had been afflicted with something during the events of Sonic Unleashed and Sonic and the Secret Rings.

And, I went to issue #59 to check, since I could jump to it quickly. Shadow does say, "... I don't have the energy to perform Chaos Control without a Chaos Emerald. And, in the next page, when drawing power from Dr.Eggman's fake Emeralds, Shadow is shown teleporting, and possibly stopping time, in the bottom-right corner. I think the move Shadow does in the intro to Shadow05, as well as his homing attack in Shadow Generations, is technically not Chaos Control? Apparently, it's Chaos Snap, from what I've heard. Still teleportation, but, not on the scale of Chaos Control. But, yeah. So, he says he needs am Emerald for Chaos Control, but, not technically said for Chaos powers in general.
Also, in the 2021 Shadow S.Channel story, it does say, " “Chaos Control”… Shadow’s signature move is using the power of the Chaos Emeralds to warp space. ". It doesn't say he specifically needs an emerald for Chaos Control, but it does repeatedly put emphasis on the fact of Shadow using an Emerald to perform the technique.
The story also talks about the Chaos Emerald "not being at its best" and basically being worn out. I don't think that's too major, but, I feel like the Emeralds shouldn't get tired, though. It might have something to do with that year's overall story though, to be fair. I could definitely be forgetting if we know why the Emerald was acting down, so to speak. ( Also, this story says that the moon is a full moon, but our moon couldn't do that if it were blown apart, like in SA2. I know this detail is inconsistent in literally every single appearance of the moon since it happened, but, still sort of funny to mention. )
if it is made directly by Sega, then it is main cannon by default, if it isn't, then what it is made by Sega supersedes it

For the artist, writer, and anyone else who may be involved, I'm not sure what the difference between them is, and the people hired to create the comics, and animations.

For the artist, writer, and anyone else who may be involved, I'm not sure what the difference between them is, and the people hired to create the comics, and animations.
one is made under and by direct direction of Sega themselves, the other is only supervisioned by the sides, as seen how Prime's Team ignored some of Ian's suggestions

But, IDW is also something lead by the direction of SEGA. I'm also curious about the various 2010s and 2020s animations, which are labeled also as a primary source.

Sonic Question Time: We all know we're in the phase of game-only and comic-only characters as of late, so here's something. What characters are you most excited to see in the comic that have only appeared in the games, or vice versa? (Bonus points if you don't mention Sage, Tangle, or Sticks)
For comics, I would like to see Tikal and Chaos 0 again in an one-shot Knuckles centric short series with some Chaotix hijinx on top (Which he's long overdue for btw Penders be damned) likely a post-Frontiers story with Knuckles knowing more about the lore of the emeralds and Chao with the additional and possibly major developments for Chaos as a character going forward (tho Tikal should always remain a very rarely used character) plus I'm pretty sure Ian Flynn wanted Chaos 0 to appear in the battle of Angel Island arc.

For games, mobile games (minus dream team) don't count, I feel like Rough and Tumble are the perfect henchman fodder for the main villain of a game (Eggman, Clutch, a new character, etc) that can easily fit the role of the Hooligans (if Sega are still committed to pretending "classic era" characters simple stop existing in the "modern" times and the main cast gets narrative amnesia) as reoccurring and constant annoyance at first but poses a big threat when underestimated at the end (minus the BS insta-kill spam boss with no checkpoints and long wind ups between openings) plus in terms of gameplay there are some interesting stuff that can be done with the stench mechanic like blinding you or causing a poison like effect on your ring counter.

But who specifically did make those stories, if we know?
Eitaro Toyoda, he is the one in charge of overseeing character portrayal and lore in Japanese material and write the stories and profiles in Sonic Channel. He says the protection of Sonic's lore is of great importance, which is why he tries to make use of most content in his stories.

Eitaro Toyoda, he is the one in charge of overseeing character portrayal and lore in Japanese material and write the stories and profiles in Sonic Channel. He says the protection of Sonic's lore is of great importance, which is why he tries to make use of most content in his stories.
So he's basically Flynn's Japanese counterpart?

Thank you! I appreciate the response.

I still very much feel IDW is no different than the YouTube animations and the Sonic Channel stories, in regards to this timeline.

I was saying that not every animation ties directly into a game. Chao In Space, for example. Sonic & Friends does not, either, neither does Ghost Tale. You could also count Sonic: Man of the Year, perhaps? But, yeah.

I was saying that not every animation ties directly into a game. Chao In Space, for example. Sonic & Friends does not, either, neither does Ghost Tale. You could also count Sonic: Man of the Year, perhaps? But, yeah.
Team Sonic Racing Overdrive, Sonic Frontiers prologues, the upcoming Shadow Dark Beginings, etc

also can you not ignore my other actual point?

Shadow Generations: Dark Beginnings, is also being developed by an outside studio. "Studio Giggex". Of course, SEGA is involved with production, as they are with all official Sonic media.
One is a direct involvement, the other is purely via notes......they aren't the same

I will also note that the IDW comics are translated on an official level, in Japan. I don't feel that will really change many minds, but, I do think it is cool that the comic is (hopefully) not then too difficult to access across the world.
So they are to several other launguages......that is a normal comic book thing

also can you not ignore my other actual point?
If you'd be willing to go into it, why do you feel IDW directly following the events and aftermath of Forces "doesn't count as much"? I feel the book being confirmed canon, on top of happening directly because and after one of the mainline games, does then tie IDW directly into the games, in regards to its events, same with the Fang miniseries.
Also SEGA is directly involved in IDW. They check over every issue, and the translation process involves both SEGA of America and SEGA of Japan.
I'm down for IDW being secondary source, my issue doesn't lie with that, specifically. My issue is more so that the Sonic Channel stories and the YouTube animations are seen as, essentially, more reputable or higher priority sources, when IDW has SEGA's hands directly within the water, so to speak. I will also note that IDW receives official Japanese translations, handled by SEGA, whereas the Sonic Channel stories do not receive official English translations at all. Sonic, as a brand, is bigger in North America than it is in Japan, to my understanding, so if priority matters at all, SEGA does seem to put more emphasis on IDW than S.Channel, in this regard. ( Not that translation is an easy process at all, but, I have to imagine translating a comic book, in which text, paneling, and art must all be considered for, takes more money than if they were to translate the text-only Sonic Channel stories, in which their text does not touch their art. So, despite that IDW is, I must assume, more expensive to bring over than the S.Channel stories would be to over here, SEGA still does go through the time to translate them. As of currently, the Sonic Channel stories have not been brought over here on official terms, though. I don't think this is a major point, but I felt it was still worth discussing. )

If you'd be willing to go into it, why do you feel IDW directly following the events and aftermath of Forces "doesn't count as much"?
purely on who is directly writing it

I feel the book being confirmed canon, on top of happening directly because and after one of the mainline games, does then tie IDW directly into the games, in regards to its events, same with the Fang miniseries.
“As long as we don’t contradict anything we’re good! “ -Ian Flynn"
AKA if something contradicts the Games, said Games have priority, pretty direct there

Also SEGA is directly involved in IDW. They check over every issue, and the translation process involves both SEGA of America and SEGA of Japan.
they give small correction notes on every issue, that is not "direct involvement" that is a minor involvement at best, "direct" would be them writting the script like how they do for the animations and Sonic Channel stories

I'm down for IDW being secondary source, my issue doesn't lie with that, specifically. My issue is more so that the Sonic Channel stories and the YouTube animations are seen as, essentially, more reputable or higher priority sources, when IDW has SEGA's hands directly within the water, so to speak
Sega doesn't have their hand in direct production or involvement with IDW, at all

. I will also note that IDW receives official Japanese translations, handled by SEGA, whereas the Sonic Channel stories do not receive official English translations at all.
like a bunch of Comic Books? Marvel has translations in many languages, so does DC, "translation" really doesn't mean much as you think it does, also they have a built in translator in Sonic Channel, no idea how they could "release" the stories of a site into another language like a comic book does either way

Sonic, as a brand, is bigger in North America than it is in Japan, to my understanding, so if priority matters at all, SEGA does seem to put more emphasis on IDW than S.Channel, in this regard.
......your point being? Sega made an entire different script for Japanese Frontiers, so to say they valorize the american more is just wrong, either way, unless you are saying for us to make all american releases more priority than the japanese ones......i don't think that would matter

( Not that translation is an easy process at all, but, I have to imagine translating a comic book, in which text, paneling, and art must all be considered for, takes more money than if they were to translate the text-only Sonic Channel stories, in which their text does not touch their art. So, despite that IDW is, I must assume, more expensive to bring over than the S.Channel stories would be to over here, SEGA still does go through the time to translate them. As of currently, the Sonic Channel stories have not been brought over here on official terms, though. I don't think this is a major point, but I felt it was still worth discussing. )
again, this is a comic book thing, not a Sonic thing, are you just unaware of how Comic Books marketing works? translations to other languages are among the most normal things ever

Y'know, as obvious as it is that this is gonna be a Godzilla crossover, there is still the slim possibility that this could be an MLP crossover

Hear me out, hear me out here... IDW has licenses for both series, and during the Transformers x MLP comic they had Chrysalis be one of the main villains. It's technically her last appearance in the series, and it happened after the FiM comic ended, showing her escaping petrification... So what if... The big threat is actually Tirek, and just as with Chrysalis they're gonna show him stealing magic and power from Sonic's verse and let this be Tirek's last appearance from IDW.

I'm just hardcore coping here, tho... but it would be supremely funny if we had official content scaling MLP and Sonic together - and maybe even implying that the Chaos Emeralds and the Elements of Harmony are multiversal constants and equals.

^^^^
I do not see how SEGA's involvement in IDW isn't direct, as they directly overview every issue. That involvement is quite a lot.
Chao In Space, Rise of the Wisps, Frontiers prologue: Divergence, Sonic Mania Adventures (all of it), Sonic Superstars: Trio of Trouble, and episodes 3 and 4 of TailsTube are all written by people that are not SEGA.
Respectively, Tyson Hesse directed; Team Sonic Racing Overdrive, Chao In Space, Sonic Colors: Rise of the Wisps, Sonic Mania Adventures, Trio of Trouble, and Frontiers prologue: Divergence.

Evan Stanley Lead Directed; Sonic Superstars: Trio of Trouble.

GGDG Wrote; Sonic Colors: Rise of the Wisps.

Ian Flynn Wrote; Sonic Superstars: Trio of Trouble, Frontiers prologue: Divergence, TailsTube No.3, TailsTube No.4

Tyson Hesse also Wrote; Sonic Mania Adventures, Sonic Colors: Rise of the Wisps, Chao In Space, TailsTube No.3, TailsTube No.4

So, being sincere with this, I'm not sure why the vast majority of Sonic animations also wouldn't "not count as much", considering they are directed and written by many of the same people behind the comic that "doesn't matter that much".

The only animations linked to the games that are not listed are: Night of the Werehog, Ghost Tale, Come Join the Eggman Empire!, Sonic & Friends, TailsTube No.1, and Sonic: Man of the Year. ( We don't currently know who wrote the remaining TailsTubes, I believe, and we don't know about who's directing nor writing Shadow Generations: Dark Beginnings, yet. )

Y'know, as obvious as it is that this is gonna be a Godzilla crossover, there is still the slim possibility that this could be an MLP crossover

Hear me out, hear me out here... IDW has licenses for both series, and during the Transformers x MLP comic they had Chrysalis be one of the main villains. It's technically her last appearance in the series, and it happened after the FiM comic ended, showing her escaping petrification... So what if... The big threat is actually Tirek, and just as with Chrysalis they're gonna show him stealing magic and power from Sonic's verse and let this be Tirek's last appearance from IDW.

I'm just hardcore coping here, tho... but it would be supremely funny if we had official content scaling MLP and Sonic together - and maybe even implying that the Chaos Emeralds and the Elements of Harmony are multiversal constants and equals.
I do really like the idea of this crossover. MLP is something I've always been sort of passively interested in, sort of like Resident Evil, too. I know a lot of people really love the characters from Gen 4, so, I do think it would be really cool to see them crossover with Sonic's world. I am curious if they may go with Gen 5, too, though.

I do really like the idea of this crossover. MLP is something I've always been sort of passively interested in, sort of like Resident Evil, too. I know a lot of people really love the characters from Gen 4, so, I do think it would be really cool to see them crossover with Sonic's world. I am curious if they may go with Gen 5, too, though.
I was a massive Sonic fan before FiM was even out, so this would definitely be something I would sell my soul for. I just wanna see Rainbow and Sonic interact, man.................

I was a massive Sonic fan before FiM was even out, so this would definitely be something I would sell my soul for. I just wanna see Rainbow and Sonic interact, man.................
Do you know what it means? No, I'm serious, what COULD this MEAN, for both Fandoms if the crossover is truly canonical?

I do not see how SEGA's involvement in IDW isn't direct, as they directly overview every issue. That involvement is quite a lot.
it....really isn't, they do but give notes and directions sure......that is normal for pretty much any licensed thing ever tho, it really isn't anything direct as, say, their own team writting the story themselves Sonic's characterization wars should show how much of a difference this makes

Chao In Space, Rise of the Wisps, Frontiers prologue: Divergence, Sonic Mania Adventures (all of it), Sonic Superstars: Trio of Trouble, and episodes 3 and 4 of TailsTube are all written by people that are not SEGA.
Respectively, Tyson Hesse directed; Team Sonic Racing Overdrive, Chao In Space, Sonic Colors: Rise of the Wisps, Sonic Mania Adventures, Trio of Trouble, and Frontiers prologue: Divergence.
Tyson is Sega, he is an employee of Sega of america, also produced by Yukio Kusumoto, another direct Sega employee

Evan Stanley Lead Directed; Sonic Superstars: Trio of Trouble.
Alongside Tyson, who as i said earlier is a direct employee of Sega and also produced by Jasmin Hernandez

GGDG Wrote; Sonic Colors: Rise of the Wisps.
Tyson was the director, aka direct Sega involvement in its production

Ian Flynn Wrote; Sonic Superstars: Trio of Trouble, Frontiers prologue: Divergence, TailsTube No.3, TailsTube No.4
the last 2 were written in colaboration with the lore team Sega made, aka a direct Sega involvement again, while the first two? well, i already talked about Trio of Trouble, as for the Prologue? Tyson again and also produced by Jasmin Hernandez, aka another direct Sega employee

Tyson Hesse also Wrote; Sonic Mania Adventures, Sonic Colors: Rise of the Wisps, Chao In Space, TailsTube No.3, TailsTube No.4

So, being sincere with this, I'm not sure why the vast majority of Sonic animations also wouldn't "not count as much", considering they are directed and written by many of the same people behind the comic that "doesn't matter that much".
what part of "direct involvement from Sega themselves" i wasn't clear about? there is no world were something directly made by the mother company owner of the IP is going to "not matter much" nor will something without that be on the same level of canonicity, besides.......when tf did i say that the Comics "doesn't matter that much"?

The only animations linked to the games that are not listed are: Night of the Werehog, Ghost Tale, Come Join the Eggman Empire!, Sonic & Friends, TailsTube No.1, and Sonic: Man of the Year. ( We don't currently know who wrote the remaining TailsTubes, I believe, and we don't know about who's directing nor writing Shadow Generations: Dark Beginnings, yet. )
all Tails tube were written in the colaboration with the Lore Team directly under Sega's wing, all the others were similarly directly made by Sega as well

Back