• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

SMRG Bracket Round 3: Mysterio vs. The Spot (8-1-0)

The_Impress

She/Her
VS Battles
Retired
Bracket Hub

Mysterio vs. The Spot

Battle takes place in Grand Central Station, Mysterio has a day of prep and range is 10 metres. Completely in-character.

images
images

ok fine

how much does mysterio **** around before going for the kill in this situation? cause unless he does something stupid i can't see the spot pull anything off.

Mysterio ***** around a ton actually, usually there is a long-winded speech

Honestly if Mysterio isn't expecting anything too tough and just brings some basic smokes and mirrors I can see The Spot managing to sneak in a 9-A kick to the balls then, unless I'm underrating what Mysterio would bring to something he's taking casually.

I think Spot will take this. He should nullify most things Quentin throws at him via his spots and whatnot. It will take him quite a bit of time to make his way through Mysterio's illusions, but it wouldn't be impossible. So, yeah, Spot takes the spotlight (i will see myself out)

First thing, the Spot's lifting strength is wrong, you get Class 1 by snapping necks with a single hand, using both arms makes the work much more easier and is athlete level.
Edit: I looked at the wrong calc for that, but still, just snapping necks with two arms and technique isn't considered enough for Class 1.

Also, do these two scans come from a reliable source? They are on Mysterio's profile, but they might not qualify for what we consider valid.

Second, do they know each other?

Without knowing the answer to the first question, for now I think Mysterio has more chances to win this.
One day of preparation means he likely doesn't have the time to build any special robot (unless we assume he has all of them available) but it would be easy for him to research who The Spot is, he should be rather famous overall through public domain.
Mysterio can pack himself up (and maybe even set traps and shit on the battlefield) to **** around with Spot's perception, senses and even just plain smoke to block his sight while he senses him with his sonar device.
Then the Spot can be incapacitated with guns, poisons, tranquilizers and electricity.

Spot can still move around and expect something if he knows Mysterio, as well as block him with multiple limbs, but gases and smoke are AoE and knowing that, Mysterio isn't just going to go there unprepared, showing his true self or not casting immediately something that can hide himself and decept the Spot.
Mysterio's electric cape could also fend off the Spot trying to grab him from afar.

I'm prone to vote Mysterio even if the Spot knows who he is.

Last edited:
One day of preparation means he likely doesn't have the time to build any special robot (unless we assume he has all of them available) but it would be easy for him to research who The Spot is, he should be rather famous overall through public domain.
This is the big question for me actually, would that be possible for Mysterio?

I'm pretty sure he can open Google and search him, he's done enough things to be known to the public and he probably has a Wikipedia page, which exists in the Marvel universe.

He also should have connections and stuff with other criminals and or/supervillains to get some info.

TMW wikipedia existing is a legitimate point for a character to win

Eh, I know relatively little about Marvel Comics, so my opinion might be wrong and missing some things, but...

I feel like this depends on how good Spot is with his powers and how good Mysterio's preparation is. If Spot is really ruthless and creative with them, I can see him nullifying almost everything Mysterio manages to pull off, and even BFR him if he gets a lucky grab. However, Mysterio is quite smart, and he has a plethora of equipment that would allow him to triumph. His electrical cape, as Saman stated, is particularly useful against someone grabbing him.

I'm a bit unsure. I'd bet on the Spot managing to eventually overwhelm Mysterio more times than not by abusing the duplication effects and being savvy about the usage of his powers, but this could really go both ways.

You pose an interesting dilemma, since I think Spot is REALLY good with his powers, but so is Mysterio with his Preparation.

Like for the record, Spot in full seriousness has been a VERY effective combatant against Spidey (borderline stomping him), it's actually the most notable storyline with him, and Mysterio? He was able to make perfect android replicas for the X-Men the day after he got out of prison.

Definitely the toughest match so far. I think portals kinda counter illusions generally since the Spot can just enter his own dimension if he's being overwhelmed, maybe even teleport to Mysterio if the real deal ever shows up. But Mysterio's illusions and prepwork might be enough to counter that.

Gases and smoke might also slip into Spot's dimension, and I think he still needs to see or at least know where his opponent is, right?
If his senses are tampered, it would be a problem for him to target Mysterio, wouldn't it?

Also true, which is why I'm unsure- Zark said Mysterio has a tendency to show himself, which is why I'm not voting him, if it's his real self then the Spot could realistically manage to portal a punch towards him.

Would be show himself even after preparing and gaining knowledge on The Spot? Also, iirc Mysterio shows himself but not before trying to defeat his opponents with his tricks.

Also, Mysterio has the durability to withstand some hits from the Spot.

Okay, damn, this is a pretty good one

I'm sure with one day of prep, Mysterio is at least gonna know Spot's main gimmick so he'll probably focus a lot one misdirecting him in order to keep him busy (likely with bots and illusions). This isn't guaranteed to totally work since the Spot is fairly good with his powers and can "duplicate" his limbs, but I'm sure Beck would have a chance at one shotting with the equipment of his choice

This is by no means an easy win given Spot's skill with his powers and the fact Beck's probably gonna push in a big speech, but I think if push comes to shove, Mysterio wins with prep

Voting Mysterio

For the record I may not continue the bracket after this round, a majority of the files seem too outdated to use :v

Back