• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Significance of history and destructive potential in a certain level of forces

Just on the topic of LS and KE feats, an author can't keep destroying cities and the landscape just to show us "See this character? They've got Class P jumps". This is asking for an absurd degree of consistency in visualization. And also authors do know these feats require force to be done, it not being done to a realistic representation shouldn't be what undermines the calculation otherwise.

About lifting strength. I suggest we add a new rule. Something along the lines "A valid lifting strength feat should be performed for a duration of at least several seconds"

Just because a character can launch a football to space or punch a dent in a sheet of metal doesn't mean he can exort this level of force long enough to lift an object with coresponding mass of Earth. This will also copletely separate consepts of lifting and striking strengths.
So, some questions regarding this suggested rule:
  1. So, the whole "Just because a character can launch a football to space or punch a dent in a sheet of metal doesn't mean he can exort this level of force long enough to lift an object with coresponding mass of Earth" thing... Isn't that just a matter of stamina? Why would this affect Lifting Strength?
  2. I can see this immediately nuking feats involving jumping at a certain speed... But, why? These sorts of feats very much require exerting a certain amount of force that can be calculated, so I don't understand why such feats would just get tossed aside
@DontTalkDT

What do you think about this?

To be fair, most of the concerns against LS have less to do with physics and more to do with similarities to calc stacking. Of course there are always differences between LS and SS as a separation. And is scientifically proven to be two different things IRL. Realistically, characters who punch really hard should also be crazy fast, or characters who are crazy fast should have high SS. But we have KE via Calc Stacking rules regarding those. The same thing could be argued regarding our LS policies where fast paced Acceleration also be used for LS upgrades.

How would such a thing be applied, though? It's still considered, for example, valid to calculate the kinetic energy of a character traveling at Relativistic+ speeds (assuming it's within the same scene that they reach such speeds, since it'd be Calc Stacking otherwise). In a similar vein, for instance, why would it not be valid to calculate the force applied for a character jumping from something at Relativistic+ speeds? You do in fact need to apply a calculable force to accomplish such a feat

I do understand I'm coming off as a broken record by now, and I apologize, but this is legitimately concerning to me. I worry that it may potentially set a bad precedent if we can just axe calculation methods for arbitrary reasons. Hell, the OP is legit suggesting to relegate the likes of kinetic energy, earthquake, and cloud feats to only being viable as "supporting feats" or under a "possibly" rating - just because the values achieved by such calculations "aren't natural." Not to mention emphasizing authorial intent when we usually don't care for that as much because we can't assume intent; and the fact that another chunk of the OP's proposals involve severely upending our standards regarding the whole "distinguishing Attack Potency from Destructive Capacity" thing. You know, that thing that's a core part of how we handle scaling on the site? And again, it's all because it just "doesn't look natural" or "goes against what the author wants" - the latter of which we tend to take with a grain of salt.

Like, no. I don't buy into any of this. Nothing needs to change, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Yes, having multiple such feats would make it not an outlier. That's a good thing. What you're proposing requires a severe upending of our standards on Attack Potency vs. Destructive Capacity
Just because it changes standards doesn't mean it's something worth giving up.

That's the problem, that a large number of feats of outlier does not mean that these feats cease to be outliers. The verse can consistently show 8-C feats and characters can have problems with explosions, bullets and knives. However, there may be two feats of KE and a feat of shaking at level 7-C in the verse and this will lead to overestimated results that do not correspond to the thread of the narrative and the main feats of DP.

In the end, I thought that the site was trying to show how strong the characters of the work are, and not how strong we want them to be, resorting to clever calculations.We might as well repeat for DB and make an Obito 5-A through the calculation of the destruction of the mountain.
You may not agree with me, but now many poems look like a long-running joke when we don't have DP feats even at the High 6-A level, but the characters have a Low 5-B

How would such a thing be applied, though? It's still considered, for example, valid to calculate the kinetic energy of a character traveling at Relativistic+ speeds (assuming it's within the same scene that they reach such speeds, since it'd be Calc Stacking otherwise). In a similar vein, for instance, why would it not be valid to calculate the force applied for a character jumping from something at Relativistic+ speeds? You do in fact need to apply a calculable force to accomplish such a feat

I do understand I'm coming off as a broken record by now, and I apologize, but this is legitimately concerning to me. I worry that it may potentially set a bad precedent if we can just axe calculation methods for arbitrary reasons. Hell, the OP is legit suggesting to relegate the likes of kinetic energy, earthquake, and cloud feats to only being viable as "supporting feats" or under a "possibly" rating - just because the values achieved by such calculations "aren't natural." Not to mention emphasizing authorial intent when we usually don't care for that as much because we can't assume intent; and the fact that another chunk of the OP's proposals involve severely upending our standards regarding the whole "distinguishing Attack Potency from Destructive Capacity" thing. You know, that thing that's a core part of how we handle scaling on the site? And again, it's all because it just "doesn't look natural" or "goes against what the author wants" - the latter of which we tend to take with a grain of salt.

Like, no. I don't buy into any of this. Nothing needs to change, as far as I'm concerned.
I will mirror your answer. "Higher level values" do not mean "better values", just as "several calculations exceeding the narrative indicators" do not have more weight than the "narrative" itself.Let's not forget that we evaluate the characters of stories that are created by other people. What is demonstrated in history has much more value than what could be demonstrated in theory if the author knew the laws of physics. Calculations of jumps and penetration of materials are calculations of speed and AP, not LS. We have a lot of verses where the characters are level 9-B, but have a reaction close to light. According to your logic, we should count KE and LS from speed and take it for granted, although the character has never shown damage above 9-B and LS above Class 1. To overlook the context of the story is a very big mistake of this wiki

power levels of many verses have gone too far when, with the highest DP score at 6-C, they have values of 5-C and above

Just because it changes standards doesn't mean it's something worth giving up.
Something as core as AP vs. DC being severely upended just because "it doesn't look natural"? Yeah, no. Gonna need something way better than that
That's the problem, that a large number of feats of outlier does not mean that these feats cease to be outliers. The verse can consistently show 8-C feats and characters can have problems with explosions, bullets and knives. However, there may be two feats of KE and a feat of shaking at level 7-C in the verse and this will lead to overestimated results that do not correspond to the thread of the narrative and the main feats of DP.
If you wanna say Grappler Baki then just say that. Again, inconsistencies with the verse are already handled by our current standards. Beyond that, this is really just coming down to your own personal opinion of what should and shouldn't be an outlier, and your personal opinion is not an argument
In the end, I thought that the site was trying to show how strong the characters of the work are, and not how strong we want them to be, resorting to clever calculations.We might as well repeat for DB and make an Obito 5-A through the calculation of the destruction of the mountain.
You may not agree with me, but now many poems look like a long-running joke when we don't have DP feats even at the High 6-A level, but the characters have a Low 5-B
This sort of emotional appeal by going "I thought we're indexing how strong the characters are, not how strong we want them to be" is just completely meaningless. There's nothing "clever" about a KE calc or a cloud calc, it's just indexing a feat.

Also, I've seen this sentiment from you before, that VSBW "looks like a joke" because of this. I don't care. Outsider perceptions should not be influencing our policies, and claiming that they should is incredibly fallacious. We're not trying to cater to random people online, we're trying to be accurate.
I will mirror your answer. "Higher level values" do not mean "better values", just as "several calculations exceeding the narrative indicators" do not have more weight than the "narrative" itself.
I never claimed one is better than the other, so don't put words in my mouth, thanks. My point is that they're both equally valid, depending on the work
Let's not forget that we evaluate the characters of stories that are created by other people. What is demonstrated in history has much more value than what could be demonstrated in theory if the author knew the laws of physics. Calculations of jumps and penetration of materials are calculations of speed and AP, not LS. We have a lot of verses where the characters are level 9-B, but have a reaction close to light. According to your logic, we should count KE and LS from speed and take it for granted, although the character has never shown damage above 9-B and LS above Class 1. To overlook the context of the story is a very big mistake of this wiki
This is just fundamentally misunderstanding my argument. If a verse has never shown feats above 9-B, then feats significantly above that level would be considered outliers unless there's a legitimate explanation. I never said we ignore the story, I said that authorial intent doesn't usually factor into our ratings since we can't assume it.

If you don't want to take it from me, take it from one of our Bureaucrats in this same thread:
We generally only have very little consideration for author intent. Generally, what actually happens overrules. It really is only relevant for the interpretation of statements. There's the outlier policy for the worst cases, but generally if the author made the character more impressive than intended we aren't going to downgrade them for that.
Author intent is generally not known anyways and taking precautions for the eventuality that the author didn't intend what they wrote makes no sense.

Yeah, Clover says it best. I'm not the best to comment on what Lifting Strength feats are valid but the rest of the post is quite literally just argument from incredulity and emotional appeal. Not to mention, the mention of verses as examples with zero knowledge on them whatsoever.

The current standards are fine, though I wouldn't mind refining how we treat lifting strength if need be.

Something as core as AP vs. DC being severely upended just because "it doesn't look natural"? Yeah, no. Gonna need something way better than that
That is, having a series of poems based on emissions is better than improving the level system? Considering that you do not offer alternatives, this is exactly what it sounds like. Interesting opinion. I heard you.
However, I am convinced that it is better to fight the cause of emissions than the effect
If you wanna say Grappler Baki then just say that. Again, inconsistencies with the verse are already handled by our current standards. Beyond that, this is really just coming down to your own personal opinion of what should and shouldn't be an outlier, and your personal opinion is not an argument
Nah, this is just the most exaggerated example. I'll also include Kengan, Prototype, SDS, HNK and One Piece here.

One way or another, in these verses, a huge number of feats built on earthquake and KE insanely exceed the DP of the most powerful characters in the verse.
This sort of emotional appeal by going "I thought we're indexing how strong the characters are, not how strong we want them to be" is just completely meaningless. There's nothing "clever" about a KE calc or a cloud calc, it's just indexing a feat.
It would not make sense if the values obtained through these calculations did not exceed many times the feats that are directly shown by the author
Also, I've seen this sentiment from you before, that VSBW "looks like a joke" because of this. I don't care. Outsider perceptions should not be influencing our policies, and claiming that they should is incredibly fallacious. We're not trying to cater to random people online, we're trying to be accurate.
It’s very interesting that you decided to remember this after so many posts in order to strengthen your arguments with additional points

For greater accuracy, all that remains is to start looking for speed through AP, as well as using inverse squares in any shockwave feat
I never claimed one is better than the other, so don't put words in my mouth, thanks. My point is that they're both equally valid, depending on the work
You just said that the "lower value = fair" statement is incorrect and are supporting LS feats through jumping and pressure when the characters haven't shown even remotely close to those values. Don't rush to thank me. Thank you.
This is just fundamentally misunderstanding my argument. If a verse has never shown feats above 9-B, then feats significantly above that level would be considered outliers unless there's a legitimate explanation. I never said we ignore the story, I said that authorial intent doesn't usually factor into our ratings since we can't assume it.
However, if we have at the same time several feats of earthquakes and a feat of KE, then it does not matter that throughout history DP does not exceed level 9-B. Again, a very convenient position that has nothing to do with objectivity

Yeah, Clover says it best. I'm not the best to comment on what Lifting Strength feats are valid but the rest of the post is quite literally just argument from incredulity and emotional appeal. Not to mention, the mention of verses as examples with zero knowledge on them whatsoever.

The current standards are fine, though I wouldn't mind refining how we treat lifting strength if need be.
I think I'd disagree, actually.

See here. Professional baseball players can exert legitimately, objectively superhuman amounts of force upon a baseball, leagues higher than the greatest lifters in the world could manage for even a second.

Combining striking strength and LS is just, objectively, really dicey. So I think that idea, at least, has merit to it, even just pulling from real world examples.

That is, having a series of poems based on emissions is better than improving the level system? Considering that you do not offer alternatives, this is exactly what it sounds like. Interesting opinion. I heard you.
However, I am convinced that it is better to fight the cause of emissions than the effect
Your wording confuses me, like "poems" and "emissions," but from what I can gather... Yes, it is better to keep our current system, and trying this sort of appeal by saying "you'd rather not improve it" is - once more - completely meaningless
Nah, this is just the most exaggerated example. I'll also include Kengan, Prototype, SDS, HNK and One Piece here.

One way or another, in these verses, a huge number of feats built on earthquake and KE insanely exceed the DP of the most powerful characters in the verse.
Again, this comes from a failure to distinguish Attack Potency from Destructive Capacity. We're not going to equate the two. You're just arbitrarily trying to limit certain kinds of calcs simply because "the results are too high compared to what I think they should be." That's not at all a good reason
It would not make sense if the values obtained through these calculations did not exceed many times the feats that are directly shown by the author
This just makes no sense to me. KE feats, cloud feats, and earthquake feats are all "directly shown by the author," yet you're advocating to limit those simply because of the values they result in. This whole "directly shown by the author" thing just falls flat
It’s very interesting that you decided to remember this after so many posts in order to strengthen your arguments with additional points

For greater accuracy, all that remains is to start looking for speed through AP, as well as using inverse squares in any shockwave feat
I don't even know what kind of "gotcha" you're trying for here, but it's not working. I've been arguing for the sake of maintaining accuracy the whole time, even if you just don't think I am. I guess you're attempting to mock my view of accuracy, thinking that I believe accuracy means wanking every feat to the highest degree possible? What you're playing at here just doesn't work, and I'd advise you to actually argue instead of making these jabs.

I was also just trying to mention that the moment you start bringing up stuff like "it makes VSBW look like a joke," I stop caring. That's not a legitimate argument.
You just said that the "lower value = fair" statement is incorrect and are supporting LS feats through jumping and pressure when the characters haven't shown even remotely close to those values. Don't rush to thank me. Thank you.
Another attempt at a "gotcha" that doesn't work. I did say that "lower value = better" is not a good mentality, in the same way I'd also say "higher value = better" is a bad mentality. If it's accurate, I don't care if the value is low or high, whereas your argument is just that because it's high, it's bad.
However, if we have at the same time several feats of earthquakes and a feat of KE, then it does not matter that throughout history DP does not exceed level 9-B. Again, a very convenient position that has nothing to do with objectivity
Well yeah it depends on the verse. If it has several Tier 7 feats as well, then there's more of a discussion to be had. This is just turning into what you personally think a verse should be rated as, which is not at all an appropriate discussion when it comes to limiting or axing valid calculation methods.

See here. Professional baseball players can exert legitimately, objectively superhuman amounts of force upon a baseball, leagues higher than the greatest lifters in the world could manage for even a second.

Combining striking strength and LS is just, objectively, really dicey. So I think that idea, at least, has merit to it, even just pulling from real world examples.
Perhaps I worded it poorly, but I actually don't have any issue with us working on our standards for these types of feats, even if they seem mathematically sound to me. Hence the last part of the sentence. My biggest issue was with the rest of OP.

I think I'd like some more clarification on this point, since I'm definitely more open to legitimate reasons to question a certain kind of calc method's legitimacy. In practice, how would you resolve this sorta thing? What would be considered LS as opposed to SS? Since you could convert values of Joules into Newtons, as has been seen in many a calc before, like this calc for instance.

In short, when would we treat them as separate? And when could we get one from the other?

What would be considered LS as opposed to SS? Since you could convert values of Joules into Newtons, as has been seen in many a calc before, like this calc for instance.

In short, when would we treat them as separate? And when could we get one from the other?
I believe that was specified here:
About lifting strength. I suggest we add a new rule. Something along the lines "A valid lifting strength feat should be performed for a duration of at least several seconds"
Damage and Bambu both agreed with this.

I think I'd like some more clarification on this point, since I'm definitely more open to legitimate reasons to question a certain kind of calc method's legitimacy. In practice, how would you resolve this sorta thing? What would be considered LS as opposed to SS? Since you could convert values of Joules into Newtons, as has been seen in many a calc before, like this calc for instance.

I personally just think striking leads to very inconsistent results, which is why I agreed earlier with the idea of a sustained lift being used. Slamming an object with a hammer won't necessarily correlate to what you can physically lift. If someone has something that works better than what is currently allowed, I'm fine with hearing it, I just think what's currently allowed sort of sucks.

I believe that was specified here:

Damage and Bambu both agreed with this.
I personally just think striking leads to very inconsistent results, which is why I agreed earlier with the idea of a sustained lift being used. Slamming an object with a hammer won't necessarily correlate to what you can physically lift. If someone has something that works better than what is currently allowed, I'm fine with hearing it, I just think what's currently allowed sort of sucks.
I suppose after further consideration, I'm fine with either of these ideas (either being a sustained lift or occurring over several seconds) - not necessarily the world's biggest fan, but the reasoning's sound enough - especially given the whole baseball player real world example - to where I wouldn't be super opposed either.

There's a lot to look over here.

Focusing on the Lifting Strength topic; I do agree that has gotten a bit out of hand. A character might have no feats of actually lifting anything heavy but because they jumped at Relativistic velocities while having the mass of an ordinary person, they may end up with a lifting strength value of being able to lift up a small moon.
Can you voice your opinion, please?

Your wording confuses me, like "poems" and "emissions," but from what I can gather...
Forgive me. I use a translator and it gives such errors.A "poem" is a verse. "emissions" is an outlier.
Yes, it is better to keep our current system, and trying this sort of appeal by saying "you'd rather not improve it" is - once more - completely meaningless
We already have a number of users who agreed with the point about LS. We also have regular participants who supported my idea. I know that their vote is not taken into account, however, it shows that it is not as "meaningless" as you think
Again, this comes from a failure to distinguish Attack Potency from Destructive Capacity. We're not going to equate the two. You're just arbitrarily trying to limit certain kinds of calcs simply because "the results are too high compared to what I think they should be." That's not at all a good reason

"Attack Potency

An alternative term for Destructive Capacity which has more direct meaning: The Destructive Capacity that an attack is equivalent to. A character with a certain degree of attack potency does not necessarily need to cause destructive feats on that level, but can cause damage to characters that can withstand such forces. As such it isn't proof of a low attack potency, if a character's attacks only cause a small amount of destruction"
These are interrelated things. It is quite obvious that with AP exploits of tier 7, we must have analogues of DP exploits of the same tier.Otherwise, we have a verse that constantly breaks walls and characters also suffer from wall-breaking attacks and ordinary objects, but has MHS+ and KE at level 8-A, as well as the earthquake feat. We have several 8-A feats, which means that according to the current rules it is not an outlier, but we also see that according to the narrative, the characters did not show anything higher than 9-A, and when it would be more convenient for them to destroy the building, they do not do it, because they really cannot.
This just makes no sense to me. KE feats, cloud feats, and earthquake feats are all "directly shown by the author," yet you're advocating to limit those simply because of the values they result in. This whole "directly shown by the author" thing just falls flat
It doesn't work... Why? A large number of exploits still does not mean that it does not contradict the narrative. There are a lot of earthquake exploits in Kengan and the author even directly emphasizes this when the character scares everyone with his earthquake, just moving around and other people shout "Ahhh, earthquake?". However, the best exploits of the same character are jumping on the cliffs with a goat on his shoulders, breaking a wall and being pierced with a sword.
I don't even know what kind of "gotcha" you're trying for here, but it's not working. I've been arguing for the sake of maintaining accuracy the whole time, even if you just don't think I am. I guess you're attempting to mock my view of accuracy, thinking that I believe accuracy means wanking every feat to the highest degree possible? What you're playing at here just doesn't work, and I'd advise you to actually argue instead of making these jabs.
I was also just trying to mention that the moment you start bringing up stuff like "it makes VSBW look like a joke," I stop caring. That's not a legitimate argument.
In fact, I couldn't even find in this thread where I wrote "it makes VSBW look like a joke,". Correct me if I'm wrong. You probably found this on my personal message wall, but this is not even my statement, but a statement of the opinion of the part of the computer to which I belong. Please note that I did not even try to use this as an argument, simply because it is ridiculous and completely shook my position and attempt to conduct the discussion objectively. I have never based my arguments and goals on the fact that someone believes something there. That's why I said that mentioning it is unnecessary and looks like an additional point of contestation that will make your answer more convincing to others.Yes, that's how it works. If you voice a few controversially neutral opinions, and a few obviously correct ones, then other arguments will have more confidence on the part of the reader. That's how the psyche works.
No, I don't want to mock you. I'm sorry if it seemed that way to you. As soon as I start acting in this direction, it will mean that I have no arguments and I will look like a jerk, even in my own eyes. I would hope to avoid this.
Another attempt at a "gotcha" that doesn't work. I did say that "lower value = better" is not a good mentality, in the same way I'd also say "higher value = better" is a bad mentality. If it's accurate, I don't care if the value is low or high, whereas your argument is just that because it's high, it's bad.
No, my argument is that higher values should be confirmed, demonstrated. I'm not against a 6-A earthquake if we see the destruction in different stages, but still spread across the continent. Or if at the same time we have a High 6-B level destruction, and this attack surpasses that. However, when the best DP is 6-C, and then we have one KE cloud and a 5-C earthquake, then of course I will be skeptical
No, it wasn't gotcha. It seemed to me that you responded with passive aggression, and because of my bad temper, I couldn't let it pass by. I'm sorry if I came up with this myself.
Well yeah it depends on the verse. If it has several Tier 7 feats as well, then there's more of a discussion to be had. This is just turning into what you personally think a verse should be rated as, which is not at all an appropriate discussion when it comes to limiting or axing valid calculation methods.
I'm campaigning for the fact that we need a close DP feat to use all these skills. If we have a 7-B feat performed by a low or mid tier character, then it's not strange that earthquake and KE feats will give 7-A and High 7-A. But if top tier performs the 8-C feat, and mid tier and the rest of the characters performed the earthquake and KE feat without showing damage of the same level, then I consider this as an outlier

What do you think. Maybe it's better to allow only those feats that are directly related to large weights before LS than those that are related to the manifestation of power?

I've made my stance on the matter clear, and at this stage, this back and forth would just amount to us repeating our points over and over again. At this point, I'll simply defer to the staff

As said before, I agree with points made by Bambu regarding LS examples. And launching a baseball is SS, not LS yeah. And while casually blocking a good strike without budging is technically LS as well as durability, it may be prone to calc stacking. But I still agree with Clover regarding basically everything else yeah.

What do you want us to do here in summary, Bambu? 🙏

I think that we should wait for Bambu first. 🙏

Focusing on the Lifting Strength topic; I do agree that has gotten a bit out of hand. A character might have no feats of actually lifting anything heavy but because they jumped at Relativistic velocities while having the mass of an ordinary person, they may end up with a lifting strength value of being able to lift up a small moon.
A big example imo is spine and limb rpping feats. Where characters can be thousands of times stronger than the next feat because of peak joint strength.

I think that we should wait for Bambu first. 🙏
I appreciate it, but it was Ugarik's idea initially and quite frankly, I believe he's more qualified to speak on the matter. He should be asked to give his opinion and assuming he gives a well-reasoned one, I think it should be prioritized over mine.

Now, what do I think: I think we could simply note that instances of hitting an object shouldn't count as LS due to the inconsistencies that causes. This could be noted on our Lifting Strength page, and in fact we already make mention of something similar. So this could be expanded like so:

While Striking Strength measures the energy of a character's physical attacks, Lifting Strength measures the amount of mass they can lift, which is determined by the amount of force a character can produce. This means that they measure two different physical quantities. Furthermore it can't be assumed that a character that can physically produce the amount of energy used in lifting an object by a certain height can also lift it, if it didn't demonstrate the ability to produce that level of Lifting Strength. It is a common feature within fiction to feature characters capable of vastly greater physical striking strength energy outputs than what would be required to lift weights that they are repeatedly shown to struggle with.

Hence Lifting Strength and Striking Strength are in general not comparable and should be evaluated separately. Furthermore, in situations where a character strikes an object and moves it, it is disallowed to use the calculated force of the feat as justification for the character's Lifting Strength. This is due to inconsistencies between the force one can strike an object with and the actual mass a character is able to lift. Lifting Strength calculations must show a character actually moving an object through sustained effort.
This isn't worded great but that's what you lot are here for, recommending words that are better than my words. I welcome adjustments.

A big example imo is spine and limb rpping feats. Where characters can be thousands of times stronger than the next feat because of peak joint strength.
This is an example I can agree with. Mortal Kombat characters can do this, but in verse, many of them lack feats of even lifting cars and such so it seems odd because they lack consistent feats but would be Class 100.

I appreciate it, but it was Ugarik's idea initially and quite frankly, I believe he's more qualified to speak on the matter. He should be asked to give his opinion and assuming he gives a well-reasoned one, I think it should be prioritized over mine.

Now, what do I think: I think we could simply note that instances of hitting an object shouldn't count as LS due to the inconsistencies that causes. This could be noted on our Lifting Strength page, and in fact we already make mention of something similar. So this could be expanded like so:

This isn't worded great but that's what you lot are here for, recommending words that are better than my words. I welcome adjustments.
I think that seems reasonable. Thank you. 🙏

@Ugarik

What do you think should be done here exactly?

This is an example I can agree with. Mortal Kombat characters can do this, but in verse, many of them lack feats of even lifting cars and such so it seems odd because they lack consistent feats but would be Class 100.
Again, this begs the question: What's the issue if this is a legitimate feat that requires a calculable force to be exerted? And this in particular is a pulling feat, making it strange to label this is out of the question. This feels strangely limiting

Again, this begs the question: What's the issue if this is a legitimate feat that requires a calculable force to be exerted? And this in particular is a pulling feat, making it strange to label this is out of the question. This feels strangely limiting
Received permission from Dereck03 to comment

I think the problem isn't whether or not its valid or not but rather the way we apply it. As you mentioned, this is a pulling feat but we apply it to how much they can lift. This extends to others ways we calculate lifting strength. It'll be much better if the calcs are applied in such a way it indicates what they're capable of to avoid cases such as this one. For example, jumping at relativistic speeds and netting anywhere from class p to z doesn't mean one can bench that kind of weight, same applies to grip strength, compressive and tensile forces yet we assume characters with can overpower/restrain opponents by having one of these calculations.
In the first place the reason why we don't get lifting strength from striking strength or vice versa is because we acknowledge there are different muscles involved in performing something like a deadlift compared to striking an opponent along with what has been said about requiring to lift an object over a few seconds, lifting strength calculations should also be applied based on the feat itself so we avoid cases the likes of this one

I'm not saying the feat is invalid. I simply said it was odd that if a group of individuals all scale to a feat like this but the visual lifting feats are far lower, it would look odd. Never said it was out of the question. If it's a valid method, it's a valid method.

When it comes to Spine ripping feats, it's not limited to MK characters, but also horror movie characters like Predator or Xenomorphs. Of course, not many people even knew it took that much force to rip those parts off back when the verses were first created; it was a video by VSauce (I think that was the YouTuber's name) who did the calculation. Yeah, it's another reason why "Author intent" barely means little is because they are not scientists themselves or have any idea how crazy some in universe feats would actually be considered.

I'm not saying the feat is invalid. I simply said it was odd that if a group of individuals all scale to a feat like this but the visual lifting feats are far lower, it would look odd. Never said it was out of the question. If it's a valid method, it's a valid method.
Oh, that's something I have no problem with. I guess my thing then is that it's odd to put this front and center here when we... already have standards in place for this sort of thing. Outliers, inconsistencies, all that

When it comes to Spine ripping feats, it's not limited to MK characters, but also horror movie characters like Predator or Xenomorphs. Of course, not many people even knew it took that much force to rip those parts off back when the verses were first created; it was a video by VSauce (I think that was the YouTuber's name) who did the calculation. Yeah, it's another reason why "Author intent" barely means little is because they are not scientists themselves or have any idea how crazy some in universe feats would actually be considered.
I probably didn't understand you correctly. Are you implying that the authors know how powerful the feat is because they could see the video on YouTube?

I probably didn't understand you correctly. Are you implying that the authors know how powerful the feat is because they could see the video on YouTube?
He can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's citing horror movies as another example of a certain kind of feat (in this case, ripping out someone's spine) that's much more impressive than at first glance - and that a YouTuber was the one who calculated this feat when these verses first showed up on the wiki. He's citing this as another example of us not giving much consideration to "authorial intent"

Like I said before a valid LS feat in my opinion should be performed continuously. I don't think I have much more to add to this. This is only a mater of how many people agree with me.

As it has been pointed out already striking a baseball would output an absolutely huge amount of force. This will only last for a small fraction of a second but this is all in takes to launch it. No human on Earth is able to lift its weight equivalent regardless of how good their stamina is

Back