• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should we make an Anti-Plagiarism Rule?

Reppuzan

VS Battles
Retired
I know this is impossible to enforce and I know that this is probably going to get shot down, but could we at least make a rule to encourage users to not copy-paste off other wikis?

It's lazy, unethical, and generally makes our wiki look bad when compared to other wikis that actually write their own content.

Unless it's an official description, there's really no reason to not simply paraphrase the information.

I propose the following:

Please do not plagiarize off other wikis or other online databases. It is unprofessional and shows a lack of effort on the part of the user. If you are getting your information from another wiki, please paraphrase the passage instead of simply copying it.

A rule on it would definitely be a good idea, I feel.

I definitely agree with this rule as well. I'm getting rather tired of seeing (poorly) copy/pasted text from other wiki's.

This would apply to all forms of copy-pasted text, and not just the summary, correct? As for what would be affected when this rule is implemented

• Profiles from OBD: Some of the profiles that I have seen were directly copy+pasted from OBD, such as the Mass Effect profiles that needed to be cleaned up.
  • Notable Attacks/Techniques: A lot of the attacks and abilities for certain characters have been copied and pasted from a difference source.
  • Summary: Why copy+paste the summary when other users can read the summary in the actual Wikia for that franchise? Considering what happened in regards to the Mortal Kombat character summaries, it is best that we write our own summaries for the characters here (using the summary for that character in the respective Wikia as a basis is fine however)
So, it would be a step in the right direction if this rule was implemented.

@Lina

Yes. A ton of profiles ripped their descriptions from other wikis and it'd be nice if we could slowly go through suspect profiles and change up descriptions that were plagiarized. I don't think this should be a project though, given the anarchy it might cause.

@cal

Those are primarily official descriptions, so I have no problems with copying those. However, it would be nice if we wrote more original and engaging summaries. I can help out with that if you don't want to do it yourself.

@Kami

True. We've done that for most of the Fate profiles. However, I'd like to keep things original whenever possible.

Thus original summaries are definitely preferred over copied ones.

I think that we already have a rule for this, but I suppose that we could expand upon it.

Hmm, it was just a brief mention under Site Rules: "Plagiarising other people's work without consent, in any form, is not acceptable."

I agree that we should probably expand upon this, and add it under Editing Rules instead.

@Ant

I'd think so, since new users are more likely to visit Editing Rules than Site Rules, along with the fact that it specifically pertains to creating and editing articles and pages.

Okay. I will add a version of your suggested wording to the editing rules page.

I'm fine with a anti plagiarism rule. lina and reppuzans suggestion are also some very useful points I agree as well.

Quick question, when writing summarizes would it be bad to copy + paste the summaries of another wiki, however you add your own words to it as well so that it's similar but now different from the original? Or no start from scratch.

You can use the information, but will have to write it in your own words.

Back