• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should we change our welcome page logo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
As most of you probably know, in order to get an official Wikia advertisement for our wiki, Ryukama created a quite good Photoshop image, using our logo combined with different popular characters featured here.

I wonder if you think that we should also use this picture instead of our regular logo in the front page of the wiki?

It obviously looks less professional, but also more entertaining.

Here is what the front page would look like, if we use it:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/VS_Battles_Wiki?oldid=762241

I like the idea of photoshopping characters alongside our logo, but I am uncertain about using that particular one, maybe it's just me but I'm not a fan of it. Can't exactly pin down why, either.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions.

Okay. Perhaps we should wait and see if somebody can spend time on photoshopping an even better image before we rush into anything?

Maybe.

I like how certain characters look in it.

Mario, Pikachu, Superman, Goku, Luffy and Spider-Man are well placed in it. Meanwhile The Doctor hanging there sideways just looks cringy.

But that's my opinion.

I actually like having the characters photoshopped in. I don't really think the gradient is necessary though.

I took the liberty of removing it. Also, it would still look better if kept towards the right.

That said, I agree with Matt in that Dr. Who is sort of hanging out there in a strange position. I think it's passable, but additional input would be necessary I suppose.

Well, perhaps we could keep it as an open option, but wait until Ryukama or somebody else can create an even better image in the same style. We are not in any kind of hurry after all.

I do not think changing it would be benficial, and I have 2 reasons for this:

1. Adding known and established characters to a cover or aavatar/logo might void and violated Wikia's and federal copyright law, even if we create the image ourselves

2. It looks great however the current one needs improvement. I don't know who here has a decent monitor/screen, but the upper area of the logo has a shadow casting in an oval shape. And the shadow effect on the letters is a visual issue itself.

I can download the image, remove it and we can put up the improved version I make, if everyone likes it. This will have to to wait tomorrow or at best, tonight. I'll post it and link it here once I get a chance to.

Otherwise I can also create a brand new one, with a great variety of copyright free fonts and tools. Whichever you would like more.

1) Really? I did not know this. Do you have a link to this policy?

2) I think that our current logo is fine. It was developed by a professional designer that Lord Kavpeny knows. I just wondered if we should add in some popular characters in the background, in a similar manner to the image that Ryukama created.

I prefer keeping the main logo for the same reasons as Kkapoios. I like the professional style of the wiki myself.

I like Ryukama's rendition myself and Reppuzans edit to it, but I feel we might be better safe than sorry for the reasons Soyhop said.

I thought we knew that was a common law. If it isn't I will double check. You will have to give me some time to find any specfic policy or law, as I am at college and the public connection is slow, not to mention I have to research.

And although it seems very made, even compared to what I could make, with the simple and straightforward nature of the wiki, not to mention of the staff as a whole, I understand that we would like to give some color and variety to the place by adding characters, however, legal issues aside, the design if you couldn't tell is rendered with a 2 or 3 layer image. Now that it is a single JPEG there is no undoing it, especially considering the fact I do not know what program he created it with. I can still edit and fix whatever mistakes he left. He may be a professional bu condering who or how that image was put there with the shadows nigh overlapping the text and seeping out, it looks unclean and sloppy on a more professional monitor like on my laptop or desktop.

According to Wikia's Terms of Use, Usage Rights list:

"Violate any laws in your jurisdiction (including but not limited to copyright laws and laws regarding online conduct and acceptable content)"

and

"Not to upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party"

Without written consent, in many 1st world countries, some of our use of certain images might not be legal, however fan renditions might be okay. I do not have time (or space) to explain all this but i can post video links later about copryright law.

Also:

"With the exception of accessing RSS feeds and our API in accordance with the Service's policies applicable to such access, you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission;"

So Kavpeny's bot might be in violation too if he did not recieve any permission from Wikia that he can prove. Doubt it but it's another thing to look out for.

Under "Submitting Content to the Site and Copyrights"

"You may not submit content to the Service that you did not create or that you do not have permission to submit. You may not submit content that is not compatible with the license used by the applicable project of the Service to which you are submitting content."

And under "Governing Law, Venue and Jurisdiction" for all our foreign staff:

"By using the Service, you agree and acknowledge that the Service is hosted in the United States. If you are attempting to access the Service from a physical location within the European Union, Asia, or any other region with laws or regulations governing personal data collection, use, and disclosure that differ from United States laws, please be advised that through your continued use of the Service, you are transferring your personal information to the United States and you consent to (a) such transfer, (b) the application of the laws of the State of California, without regard to principles of conflict of laws, which will govern these Terms of Use and any dispute of any sort that might arise between you and the Company or any of our affiliates. You agree not to commence or prosecute any action in connection with your use of these Services other than in the state and federal courts of California, and you hereby consent to and waive all defenses of lack of personal jurisdiction and forum non conveniens with respect to venue and jurisdiction in the state and federal courts of California."

Even though they've done little to nothing yet, they say this in regard to those who say "well they would have done something if it was wrong":

"If the Company (Wikia) does not exercise or enforce any right, remedy, or provision of these Terms of Use, this shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision in that or any other instance."

Kavpeny's robot was officially approved by Wikia, and only uses their similarly approved scripts.

I do not understand how Ryukama's logo image would in any way be different from the fair use (essentially free marketing) images of copyrighted characters that most wikis use?

I greatly appreciate all the comments and criticisms for the image I've made. As well as Reppuzan making a render for it.

But anyways, I agree with Darkanine and Kkapoios and like the front page as it is currently. If we want to use just the logo without the "VS Battles Wiki" at the bottom of it, here is the edited version of it I made.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/File:VSBLOGO.png

Watch this.

It applies to more than just using a video game or a movie in a video. It applies to everything, virtual or real life. Also, language warning for anyone who doesn't wanna be heard listening to, or hearing swear words.

EDIT: Even our use of scans are technically illegal. We do not own or have the right to distribute or use such content, even for the use of the site. This wiki is seen as recreational, not education or transformative. These are Federal US laws, and Wikia being based in the US and California, the wikis on the network are all subject to their laws and conflicting laws for our overseas friends. We must have a legitimate source or prove we obtained permission. Regardless of where the works were made or not.

Ryukama said:
I greatly appreciate all the comments and criticisms for the image I've made. As well as Reppuzan making a render for it.
But anyways, I agree with Darkanine and Kkapoios and like the front page as it is currently. If we want to use just the logo without the "VS Battles Wiki" at the bottom of it, here is the edited version of it I made.

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/File:VSBLOGO.png
So you made this one? It's fine on it's own although I would like to say there's this weird strand to the bottom left of the VS logo (turn up your screen so you can see it clearly) that is pretty stand-out, at least to me.

Also the Doctor needs to be replaced with someone else he looks really out-of-place and awkward there. I thought Ryuko looked better than him albeit she had a weird quality I can't really pin down.

@SoyHop

But again, all of Wikia does exactly the same thing on nearly every single page, and since it is free merketing, nobody bothers to try to shut it down.

Why would a logo page be any different? After all, Wikia's own staff thought that Ryukama's image was good enough to use for an official advertisement.

Mind you, I do not think that we should use this particular image as a new logo, but if somebody would spend the time on creating an even better one, based on the same structural idea, that may or may not be acceptable.

So I have a sample of a new logo that I am in the middle of making. All I need is a render of twin crossed swords, and we're set.

Check this.

VSBattles Logo

My apologies, but I think that the old one looks more professional.

This was probably a bad idea from myself, so it would probably be best to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back