• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Changing the name of our wiki's Weapons category

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

Do you think that the name of this very important category should be changed to "Equipment" instead? It seems more accurate, as a large part of the nonsentient items in our Weapons category are not actually weapons, and it would be much more convenient for indexing purposes to use something more inclusive.

Edit:

It has been suggested that we should rename the category to "Items" instead of "Equipment", as it is more inclusive.

Also, the character pages in the Image Comics category need to get categories for their own verses that act as sub-categories for the Image Comics category instead. Is anybody here willing to handle it please?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Changing it to Equipment is an option, but would need some reclassifying of certain pages.
Currently, things like Androids are frequently listed as weapons, however those would not be equipment.

One more concern, theglassman12 and DT discussed in this thread and modified the ability
from higher dimensional manipulation to dimensional manipulation, what will the relevant categories be?

Since they are currently named as
I feel this should be discussed as well in this staff thread as we are also dealing with other categories issues. Other staff discussion thread for this matter would feel unnecessary.
Higher Dimensional Beings should remains at least.

And we are still discussing the dimensional manipulation issue, given that I am uncertain if it overlaps with spatial manipulation.

Changing it to Equipment is an option, but would need some reclassifying of certain pages.
Currently, things like Androids are frequently listed as weapons, however those would not be equipment.
Thank you for helping out.

As long as the androids have reasonably advanced A.I., they should preferably have intelligence sections, and as such qualify as characters, not be weapons or equipment.

Higher Dimensional Beings should remains at least.

And we are still discussing the dimensional manipulation issue, given that I am uncertain if it overlaps with spatial manipulation.
How? There is discussion right now about evaluating all characters for this matter. If you are still uncertain with the changes, you should have given a comment about it.

Well, nobody informed me about it, and I did comment in the original thread. Unless I misremember, it is not closed yet.

Thank you for helping out.

As long as the androids have reasonably advanced A.I., they should preferably have intelligence sections, and as such qualify as characters, not be weapons or equipment.
Yeah, we currently have the weird case of some profiles being listed as both weapons and characters.

In some rare cases that's justified (e.g. Master), but in others it should arguably be removed (e.g. Thought Robot).

According to the dynamic page list there are 119 cases of profiles classified simultaneously weapon and character.
If we rename the category we can probably quickly go through those and remove the weapon category where necessary.

Yes, that seems like a good idea.

I'm unsure. I mean, equipment works better for things like suits of armor or shields that amp defense but not attack potency. But DontTalkDT also brings up other points. I can also think of examples that count as weapons but not quite equipment such as time bombs or Nuclear Missiles summoned via click of a button.

I personally thing making an equipment a separate category, and adding it in addition to weapons for things that qualify as both make sense.

That would require some members to manually go through and evaluate thousands of Weapons category pages though.

I would greatly appreciate further staff input here.

One more concern, theglassman12 and DT discussed in this thread and modified the ability
from higher dimensional manipulation to dimensional manipulation, what will the relevant categories be?

Since they are currently named as
I feel this should be discussed as well in this staff thread as we are also dealing with other categories issues. Other staff discussion thread for this matter would feel unnecessary.
I would greatly appreciate further staff input here.
Did you change your mind or still confuse between those two abilities?

I trust DontTalkDT's sense of judgement.

Higher Dimensional Beings should most likely remain as it is, whereas Higher Dimensional Manipulation Users should probably be renamed to Dimensional Manipulation Users instead.

And which ability should we give to grant higher dimensional beings category? As the ability does not exist? I am not doubting DT's sense of judgement, that would be likely a sin to do it, but also a clarification of the reasons should be given.

What do you mean more specifically?

I still do not understand what you perceive to be a problem here.

Well, if I understood correctly, DontTalk explained dimensional manipulation as including higher-dimensional and lower-dimensional manipulation, so as long as its title is updated it can technically remain.

I think that we already have one, but may misremember.

Okay, then I am fine with a new "Lower-Dimensional Beings" category being created in our wiki.

It does not seem important enough for me to focus on, given that the tier 11 categories already mostly fill its purpose.

Not necessarily. Three-dimensional characters can hold a far greater scale of power.

• Higher dimensional beings are for tier 1 and above
  • Lower dimensional beings are for tier 11 and below
I don't see any reasons for not having a category, it serves unfairness right now. But I will wait for other staff opinion on this matter.

I do not mind the category. I just do not want to waste time on it, as I am home sick and trying to handle my work at the same time right now.

I do not mind the category. I just do not want to waste time on it, as I am home sick and trying to handle my work at the same time right now.
Ohhh, apologies. I did not know about your health situation (I thought you no longer have corona, as it is only 5 days – 7 days).
I understand that you're feeling overwhelmed with work and not feeling well. Is there anything I can do to help make things easier for you right now? I'm here to support you however I can.

Neutral on this one, not too much else I can add. I think Dread's goal ought to be a separate thread, as it's a different matter entirely.

Neutral on this one, not too much else I can add. I think Dread's goal ought to be a separate thread, as it's a different matter entirely.
I mean I can create one staff thread for this matter but is it really worth for one category addition/removal? Ambivalent.

Ohhh, apologies. I did not know about your health situation (I thought you no longer have corona, as it is only 5 days – 7 days).
I understand that you're feeling overwhelmed with work and not feeling well. Is there anything I can do to help make things easier for you right now? I'm here to support you however I can.
I have a reduced strength in my immune system due to lingering Covid effects, so I seem to have been infected with a more severe influenza than usual, and cough so much that I have severe sleeping problems. I did not have pneumonia according to the x-ray test I did at least.

I also much prefer if we stick to the topics. Also, my apologies, but this was intended to be a staff thread, not one that should be taken over by regular members.

Is it fine if I delete all of the derailing messages here?

Seriously? Androids are listed as weapons and not their own characters? Super weird.

I'm unsure. I mean, equipment works better for things like suits of armor or shields that amp defense but not attack potency. But DontTalkDT also brings up other points. I can also think of examples that count as weapons but not quite equipment such as time bombs or Nuclear Missiles summoned via click of a button.

I personally thing making an equipment a separate category, and adding it in addition to weapons for things that qualify as both make sense.
Do we allow profiles for armor that are merely wearables?

Do we allow profiles for armor that are merely wearables?
If they have enough notable stuff to deserve an individual page, I see no reason why not.

Seriously? Androids are listed as weapons and not their own characters? Super weird.
If they have the weapons category, they usually are classified as characters as well. So they have the Characters and the Weapons category.

I don't mind this change. Equipment is a more inclusive term that will encompasses a lot of other objects that are not necessarily used as weapons. For example, a sword can be called both, a weapon and an equipment. But a shield is less of a weapon and more of an equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back