• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Should flexible powers be indexed for each possible application?

2) Making some age fast:
Wouldn't this just be time manip anyways? I don't know what other ability we'd give this.
I'm not staff, so delete this if it isn't allowed, but that would likely be listed as age manipulation.

@Deagonx you can age someone by messing with their biological structure to have them produce more dead cells than living ones, which will age their body significantly. Plus some RPGs have time manipulation powers and aging as two completely separate abilities so it’s not always one and the same with certain franchises.

In terms of trying to make a standard on what can or cannot count for giving additional abilities based on certain applications, fiction is way too case by case for this to really be applied, so we just need to go through franchises in a case by case basis to see if they work or not.

Can somebody summarise the conclusions here so far please?

Can somebody summarise the conclusions here so far please?
I have recorded people's opinions so far below.
I excluded option 3, since nobody thinks it's a good idea.

In summary:
A vast majority of people, including six administrators, are voting for option 2, which is to list a root power and any resulting powers which have actually been showcased.
A common caveat is that certain exceptions should still be made in cases where this doesn't make sense, such as lifting a rock with telekinesis not really being earth manipulation.

In favor of option 1 (only listing the root power, not resulting powers):

Administrator: DarkGrath

Thread Mod: Deagonx

In favor of option 2 (listing the root power, and any showcased resulting powers):

Administrator:

Thread Mod:

Calc Group: CloverDragon03

Retired: KLOL506

In favor of neither:
Thread Mod: Armorchompy (thinks we should just use common sense always)

A vast majority of people, including six administrators, are voting for option 2, which is to list a root power and any resulting powers which have actually been showcased.
A common caveat is that certain exceptions should still be made in cases where this doesn't make sense, such as lifting a rock with telekinesis not really being earth manipulation.
I think the second caveat is sort of the big issue here and is the reason why I made this proposal. There are a lot of instances where it doesn't make sense, but there doesn't seem to be a clear guideline about when they shouldn't be included.

I think the second caveat is sort of the big issue here and is the reason why I made this proposal. There are a lot of instances where it doesn't make sense, but there doesn't seem to be a clear guideline about when they shouldn't be included.
Perhaps then, since people seem to insist on option 2, you should write up some potential guidelines which you would be happy with.
Though, to be honest, I personally struggle to think of one which would neatly encompass all the potential examples we might want to make an exception. From a logical standpoint, there's not much difference between moving a rock with your mind because of "telekinesis" or because of "earth manipulation"- so it ultimately just comes down to what we feel is more fitting, which is always going to be highly subjective.

Ill have to think about the wording, but I feel largely that we should require that the effect in question is a primary effect of the ability (even if it is derivative) rather than an incidental inclusion that is already (obviously) encompassed by the parent ability.

Not that it means much, but you can switch my vote to being neutral on which option we go with. I can see merit behind both approaches upon taking a second look

After Deagonx has written some potential guidelines for option 2, we can send a notification to the staff members who responded here, to see if they find them acceptable. 🙏

Back