• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Shield Hero Unconventional Resistance to Soul Manipulation (LN Only)

Introduction:

SP; also known as Soul Power, Soul Points, or just plain "Soul" is a source of energy by which heroes in the verse use their skills (AKA their special moves).
A person can be drained of their SP and really only suffer from not being able to use these hero skills. So... if this energy source is also what constitutes a soul in the verse, this should logically mean that Humans in Shield Hero can survive without their soul (At least for a period of time, as SP naturally builds even if completely drained)

Counterargument: "SP may not necessarily be the soul itself, but be the power coming from one's soul. Like Aura in RWBY or Reiatsu in Bleach."

Response: You would think so, however there are scans which indicate that when talking about the soul and SP, those two terms are interchangeable.

Examples:

1)
Naofumi's skill which drains an opponent's SP is called "Soul Eat", Naofumi got this skill by absorbing a monster who was ghost-like in nature and intangible. The only way you could touch it being with magic.

2) In order to more-quickly recover from having their SP drained, people drink or pour on themselves a substance called "Soul-Healing Water"

3) Glass is a character who is particularly weak to Soul Eat (Aka SP/Soul Absorption), her being a member of the spirit person race of people who are ghostly in nature and semi-transparent.

4) In Volume 7 Ost Horai used magic to recover Naofumi's SP, and in her incantation she says she's healing his soul. Which further supports "Soul-Healing Water" doing something similar as it produces the same effect and... is called 'Soul-Healing Water' lol.
So to recover SP, you heal your soul. Which means losing your SP = losing your soul.

What Does this Mean?

Well if we take these statements and feats to mean SP = your Soul then normal people really aren't affected by soul manipulation, at least not as a person from another verse would. Because their soul just naturally heals over time, even from having 0 SP.

In internal monologue Naofumi also says that soul-healing water doesn't even do anything for most people besides help them concentrate.

Conclusion:

SP = Soul

Therefore, Soul Manipulation is not as useful against most SH characters as they are not immediately killed by their soul being drained out of them because their soul naturally heals over time.

So...

1) Unconventional Resistance to Soul Manipulation (For everyone except Glass, ones SP/Soul will recover on its own, can survive for a short period of time without a soul)

2) Naofumi would have Soul Absorption via Soul Eat.

3) Also it should be noted that Heroes and others can heal their souls via Soul-Healing Water which, for most heroes, would be standard equipment; and optional equipment for non-heroes and those from Kizuna's world.

Also, these statements are Light Novel only. So WN profiles are unaffected by this CRT.

Scans:

nxriwvv.png
Uc2DpzR.png

iRKAirM.png
6Z58HkE.png

ytkiH7M.png

an9Q83P.png

fdon0Z9.png

YjaKSdQ.png
XAfxxeb.png
CG5vHNM.png

i8bmzOx.png
3Q5zijp.png

Last edited:
Don't really think so, this would just be counted as Shield Hero having the type of Soul Manipulation that doesn't immediately kill the enemy instead of a feat of resistance. A weakness of the hax not a strength of the characters. Nothing too unusual in fiction, like attacks to the Concept or Mind that only damages, not destroys, not counting as resistance.

Don't really think so, this would just be counted as Shield Hero having the type of Soul Manipulation that doesn't immediately kill the enemy instead of a feat of resistance. A weakness of the hax not a strength of the characters. Nothing too unusual in fiction, like attacks to the Concept or Mind that only damages, not destroys, not counting as resistance.
nxriwvv.png

L'Arc comments about how Soul Eat doesn't hurt much.

JTJXnGL.png
o6o2hYs.png

Naofumi himself also took an attack which completely drained his SP and was unharmed by it (Although he was tired out by it).
So while it is reasonable to assume that this is a weakness of the soul hax, this is contradicted by what happens to Glass when Naofumi uses Soul Eat on her.

Fy8hEuJ.png
Yel600Y.png
eUviAVE.png

Glass is straight-up weak to Soul Eat. And Even though it didn't instantly kill her (Because it doesn't instantly drain SP), 1 hit from it and Raphtalia's classic magic sword (Which also target's souls) and she was about to die if not for soul-healing water. Nobody else is affected by soul manipulation like this.
And... As Naofumi says above, Glass is weak to Soul Eat, which means everyone else isn't weak to it.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I think I'd rather disagree for the reasons above. Just because the move is called "Soul Eat" doesn't mean we must take it literally in a sense of all of a soul being eaten (And thus fully destroyed) or the like, and a ghostly being being weak to it doesn't particularly support it either given that it could just be taking significantly take more damage out of its nature, rather than the move inherently destroying souls.

Hmmm... I think I'd rather disagree for the reasons above. Just because the move is called "Soul Eat" doesn't mean we must take it literally in a sense of all of a soul being eaten (And thus fully destroyed) or the like, and a ghostly being being weak to it doesn't particularly support it either given that it could just be taking significantly take more damage out of its nature, rather than the move inherently destroying souls.
Well Everything actually seems to agree that it's Soul Manipulation, just that it's slow-acting or over time and that's why everyone seems to kind of brush it off.

It being Soul Manip (in the sense of Non-Physical Interaction at least) is fine, but using it to argue that everyone is essencially immune to soul manip is what I'm not sure on.
I'm not saying they're invulnerable to soul manipulation... cause they aren't (Otherwise I would have said immune),Naofumi is still affected by having his SP completely drained (He couldn't effectively control his body).

The point I was making is that SP = Soul (Evident by Ost healing Naofumi's soul to recover his SP + additional evidence), so their Souls naturally recover on their own (As stated by Kizuna), they can heal them with potions, and they aren't immediately dead via soul destruction because of this.

Even in the OP I say they can survive for a short period of time without their souls, just because their souls heal (Cause SP is constantly recovering)

Passive AOE soul hax, like Bleach's RC, would still incap/destroy their souls rendering them dead.

And this only even applies to Humans/demi-humans with a working body under status magic. Meaning, your soul doesn't regenerate if you don't have a body, because you don't even have status magic anymore.

Don't put words into my mouth, I never agreed to that.
Okay, sorry for misinterpreting that I guess.

You literally said: 'this would just be counted as Shield Hero having the type of Soul Manipulation that doesn't immediately kill the enemy instead of a feat of resistance.' So from my perspective it seemed like you didn't disagree with it being Soul Manip.

In that case, what are your actual thought on it then?

I think it would have been pretty important to mention the fact that this applies due to having a “working body under status magic.” Since it provides the idea that it comes off a special quality they have rather than the Hax working weirdly.

With this in mind I guess it seems reasonable and perhaps mentioning the minor soul regen over time would be a good idea.

I think it would have been pretty important to mention the fact that this applies due to having a “working body under status magic.” Since it provides the idea that it comes off a special quality they have rather than the Hax working weirdly.
Perhaps.

Also yeah; souls themselves, without a body, are pretty easy to take care of for anyone with a soul eater weapon (Like Naofumi and Raphtalia).

Edit:

So far the only Soul shown to actually fight back was Raphtalia's ancestral grandmother and another cursed spirit, and they both needed to possess someone for that.

Last edited:
Obligatory Bump.

I should also mention that, upon finishing Volume 18 I found more evidence that SP = Soul and soul eater weapons manipulate one's soul.

Raphtalia uses her Soul Eater Weapon to rip someone's soul out.

Last edited:
Also, these are the scans of Raphtalia pulling out some's soul with her soul eater sword. Basically, this means Naofumi's Soul Eater Shield should also have soul manipulation, and is further proof of why SP = Soul.

JEEnaEq.png
4uP1T3g.png

The reason why Naofumi asked Raphtalia if she could do it is because he doesn't have his shield in this scene kek.

Back