• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Scaling Stamina

SamanPatou

VS Battles
Administrator
Do we treat stamina as something that can be scaled between characters comparable to each other or even stronger?

The question came up in this thread, and I realized we don't have neither rules nor guidelines about the subject.

Personally I always tought stamina was more due to one's own body, willpower, tenacity etc., not really something that can be applied as you would do with the strength of a punch, unless the reasons for a certain level of stamina are due to a species or very strong commonalities between characters.

Thread update:

Since most people seem to agree that stamina is more related to one's own being, rather than something that can be scaled (unless it's a specific trait of a species or else) I'm proposing to turn this into an actual rule and guideline for the wiki.
I don't have a draft yet, but I'd like to hear more thoughts and opinions.

Last edited:
my point of view:

probably not, unless they are special cases like X person totally copied Y's body, or it was said that he could fight longer than Y, X has Same Energy source of Y or it is just an alternate version of Y
Or in the verse more power means more stamina like shaman king

We should pretty much only scale it like this in verses where someone’s stamina reserves and power come from the same depletable source, so stuff like universal energy systems. Even then it’s questionable, since having more power means you should theoretically be burning through that resource faster.
If stamina comes from a realistic source, it shouldn’t work like this, since it doesn’t in real life (people who train for stamina and people who train for speed/power develop different types of muscle).

Last edited:
We should pretty much only scale it like this in verses where someone’s stamina reserves and power come from the same deportable source, so stuff like universal energy systems, and even then it’s questionable, since having more power means you should theoretically be burning through that resource faster.
If stamina comes from a realistic source, it shouldn’t work like this, since it doesn’t in real life (people who train for stamina and people who train for speed/power develop different types of muscle).
I mean there are still physical stamina

Do we treat stamina as something that can be scaled between characters comparable to each other or even stronger?

The question came up in this thread, and I realized we don't have neither rules nor guidelines about the subject.

Personally I always tought stamina was more due to one's own body, willpower, tenacity etc., not really something that can be applied as you would do with the strength of a punch, unless the reasons for a certain level of stamina are due to a species or very strong commonalities between characters.
My thing is that when humans generally get stronger, they generally get more stamina as well. I don't think it should be too out of the question to give 2 characters in the same physical league comparable stamina.

Stamina is not the kind of stat it can be scaled, that two fighter match each other is not a reason to scale (one may have more stamina than the other, but perhaps its "burning" its reserves more often to match the enemy). Plus, despite being called stamina, Stamina also cover endurance, that is basically how much one can stand injuries and pain, where stamina measure how fast one gets tired.

I think we should set up a rule about allowing scaling or not. Maybe I should call more staff members?

It seems that most people agree on not scaling stamina.

Should I have this thread moved to the Content Revision/Staff section (or make another one) to turn this into an actual rule?

If you can keep up with someone or outlast them then yes. Unless you obliterate somebody who otherwise has more stamina and reduce them to a level lower than or comparable to yours from the beginning.

I mean, outlasting someone who can fight for, 3 hours, 3 days or else is already a stamina feat, because you fought for the same amount of time.

Policy threads should preferably go to the staff forum.

Anyway, I agree about that our standards for stamina are severely lacking. I created a structured ranking list for it over a year ago, but was outvoted regarding applying it, due to that it doesn't work for characters perceiving millions or billions of years in a second.

Should I move this thread to the staff forum?

Should I move this thread to the staff forum?
I don't think thats necessary.
Its pretty simple topic and I don't see people getting worked up over this. Besides normal people too should have a say in this. Staff only restrictions eliminate that unnecessarily.

Its fine here in normal section.

If you feel it getting out of hand. Then you can decide to fork this thread over to staff.

I think scaling stamina between characters should be fine if it's tied to a universal energy system

I agree, Stamina shouldn't be scaled to other characters unless there is a legitimate reason to, such as a physiology thing or a statement that supports the character being able to fight or do something as long as the character could that their trying to scale to.
I agree with this.

That characters use the same kind of energy does not means they can store as much energy, or that they spend their supplies as fast as the other.
Not what I was referring to, I'm referring to verses with a unique energy system that is directly shown and said to be the characters form of stamina, in that case, their stamina rating should scale to people who have a comparable amount of the same energy.

Sounds too specific in order to make it a general rule.
What I'm suggesting doesn't need to be a rule, it can be a case by case thing like almost everything else here

Prove their stamina is directly tied to their energy and then they can scale to characters who have a comparable amount of that energy in terms of stamina.

Yeah, I have the same opinion in this regard. Stamina is an individual trait that should not be scaled, unless it is a specific trait of some species/physiology.

What about:

Stamina, encompassing endurance and tolerance, is a factor that heavily depends on one's own body, the way it stores and burns energy and how it reacts to external stimuli, fatigue, stress and more. This usually is the product of a specific training, lifestyle and physiology, featuring differences even among the members of the same species, and thus it heavily depends on the comformation of a single individual. On top of that, it is often related to willpower and determination, making it even more unique.
For this reason it is recommended to not scale stamina between characters that are comparable or superior to each other in terms of statistics such as Attack Potency, Durability etc.
It should be allowed only when levels of stamina are explicitly defined as common and natural traits shared by members of the same species or group, or through direct statements and evidences of characters being comparable in such aspect.

Last edited:
images_6.jpeg

Back