• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

SBA Revisions: The one where we offically say that people who can't see from 4 KM away aren't just going to be wondering what the fork they're

DMUA

He/Him
VS Battles
Calculation Group
Yeah.

This has been something I've occasionally thought about, but, it has come up here so I might as well get it done.

You saw the title, basically, here's what I suggest adding to Standard Battle Assumptions, probably under distance:

Knowledge of the battle situation: The characters know that they must beat an opponent under any of the SBA win conditions. If the characters are far enough away from each other that they cannot see each other at the start of the fight, they know that their opponent is a vague distance away, roughly in the direction of wherever they're facing at the start of the fight, and they must close that gap and defeat them.

Any other suggestions can be left below.

That is a really long title.

But yeah, I agree. This should have been made a thing a long time ago, and has only gone this long without being addressed because everyone conveniently ignores the fact that most characters can't see across a 4km distance.

Yeah, I'll add that to the OP.

I assumed it would be obvious that the characters know they fight each other if they are already given the mindset to kill each other...

But sure might as well specify.

I am not sure if we should give them knowledge of the specified win conditions. Don't want people that BFR, because they were reminded they can do that to win, even if they normally wouldn't solve a fight this way. It might be better to just tell them to defeat the opponent in some way.

Maybe we should just straight up say that the characters know the starting positions of the other characters.

I mean, if it's not in character for them to do something, of course they would take some of their other options. Don't see the problem with specifiying how they could win.

Saying how they '''could''' win doesn't mean they'll just go "okay" and BFR despite it going against their character.

I'm pretty sure that telling them how they could win already tips them off about what their foe resists from their arsenal or not. Otherwise it'd be redundant.

I think some of you are misunderstanding the OP.

It's saying "characters should start off knowing they have to win through one of the victory conditions permitted in SBA", not "characters should start off knowing exactly how they can win against their opponent.

Granted, I still sort of have an issue with the idea of characters knowing about SBA victory conditions like every match is some sort of EVO tournament. But still.

No, I mean, like, they literally just get read the possible win conditions. It doesn't say what will and won't work, and it doesn't tell them which is the best option.

Let me give an example what I mean:

QiQi from I the female robot has (well, rarely) interplanetary teleportation devices, yet she would not really use those for the sake of fighting.

But she is far from stupid, if you give her a paper on which basically "leaving your opponent stuck somewhere else might solve your problems" is written that could very well change things.

That should be a thing, but the "knowledge of victory conditions" thing should be addressed before it's added.

DontTalkDT said:
Hmm... Yeah, I guess you're right.

Maybe they should just be told "you can end the fight however you wish"?

AnonymousBlank said:
They can't see through all the trees and other people etc though. This is to let them know which direction their opponent starts in so they don't just wander around like headless chickens.
Why not just have there be no obstacles then? There would need to be specific obstacles in their way and i don't think outside of line of sight is really needed to balance stuff out.

The ostacles come with SBA dropping them in Central Park, ask someone to change SBA conditions. This is also only in the case of people who have this much range and can usually see what is at the end.

Not to mention, even the world's most powerful senses can only make someone out a little over a Kilometer away. 4 KM, they'd just see who they're supposed to fight as a small dot among whoever else is in central park at the time

And what about some stuff like nihilus and Reinhard where is just assumed they mind hax instantly even though they are due contact based?

They're only contact based on the sense of contacting Aura which goes way more then Kilometers and is passive so them not seeing doesn't help

I don't know about Nihilus but Reinhard isn't contact based, he has a passive aura and any one who looks at the general direction of the spear gests f***d

DMUA said:
They're only contact based on the sense of contacting Aura which goes way more then Kilometers and is passive so them not seeing doesn't help
Those were just 2 random examples, there are still quite a bit of cases where this is just assumed to be true (in eye contact). (Also Nihilus' mind hax doesn't need the opponent to look at him)?

Yes, which is why we should specify

I think it does but the soul rip doesn't

DMUA said:
Yes, which is why we should specify
I think it does but the soul rip doesn't
Im talking about the mind hax. Which is basically "nihilus stands and mind haxes" and used in literally all of his battles.

Ultimately hardly matters to this thread.

DMUA said:
Ultimately hardly matters to this thread.
It does, because a lot of people do already assume sight is possible from 4km away (even as much as a dot). While this thread is going with the idea of "it's not possible".

DMUA said:
Not Nihilus in particular.
Nihilus is just 1 of those popular examples i used, im sure there are more. Though i still don't see why we would need to have obstacles obstructing the view and not let them in line of sight.

Back