• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Samus' stats and Zebes' gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/naruto-vs-samus.328199/page-4#post-16537692

I'm not an expert on Metroid and I'm anxious about putting this out there but while looking up Samus feats I found what appears to be a case against the famous 900+ gravity on Zebes. Certain stat rankings and many blogs seem to rely heavily on that high number, so the conclusion that it's invalid could really affect a lot if accepted. It's a post from 2015 so forgive me if it's been long debunked, but I hadn't heard of it here and from the looks of the posts the 900~ number comes from mistakes made years ago that were kind of forgotten about or never corrected.

Uh, said image doesn't exist apparently.

Not that it matters much, we have the lore of Metroid Prime to thank for the gravity.

Of course, it is possible that the page was fake to begin with... after all, everyone in that thread was in celebration of that....

EDIT: http://metroid.retropixel.net/gallery.php?gallery_id=m3_manual&image_id=1

I've looked for it in the Manual, and considering it's small size, I doubt I skipped it.

So the link that guy posts is to a twitter post from, as he puts it, the Japanese side of the internet. I copied the url and searched for any links to it and got this-

https://twitter.com/bubblekine/status/519501750781214720

The text of this post: µâæµÿƒÒé╝Òâ╝ÒâÖÒé╣Òü«Þ│¬ÚçÅÒü«ÒâçÒâ╝Òé┐´╝Ü Òé╣ÒâæÒâíÒâê´╝Ø4.974x10^24kg ÒâùÒâ®ÒéñÒâá1´╝Ø4.8ÕàåÒâåÒâ®ÒâêÒâ│´╝Ø4.8x10^27kg ÒüåÒâ╝Òéô´╝ƒ which translates to Planet Zebesu of the mass of data: Supameto = 4.974x10 ^ 24kg prime 1 = 4.8 trillion Teraton = 4.8x10 ^ 27kg hmm?

And there's a link to the same unavailable link. Double-checking to see if the post was deleted or perhaps the whole account associated with it, it turns out that the account was disabled. The account was under twitter.com/wakaba691, and posting "wakaba691" into Google Images gets me this-

https://www.google.com/search?q=twi...sejOAhUEHh4KHQmbAxkQ_AUICigD&biw=1366&bih=628

A lot of Samus-related images. Including a DeviantArt page-

http://wakaba691.deviantart.com/

I think this Wakaba691 made a post on Twitter verifying that a source did in fact have a different, correct, mass for Zebes. This post was found and shared on that other Twitter post and by that guy on SpaceBattles. Some point between the posts (7 Oct 2014, Feb 17, 2015) and this year (2016) the Wakaba guy disabled his account.

I think that'd be a pretty elaborate hoax. And the Metroid wiki talk page for Zebes-

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Zebes

has folks pointing out that correcting the prefixes actually gets a gravity very similar to Earth's-

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...11700/2)km)^2&a=UnitClash_*tons.*MetricTons--

9.361 m/s^2

A hoax? You do know this sounds more like a conspiracy...

As for the talk page. I LOL'ed. The entire reasoning behind his calc was under the assumption that the developers meant something else when saying the mass of Zebes, despite A- The fact that this still exists in MPT which would mean it's not a mistake, B- The only possible reasoning for the prefix being wrong in the first place is that it came from Japan or a foreign nation with a translation gone wrong, however, it was created in the States, ie Retro Studios.

From the Twitter post in full-

• µâæµÿƒÒé╝Òâ╝ÒâÖÒé╣Òü«Þ│¬ÚçÅÒü«ÒâçÒâ╝Òé┐´╝Ü Òé╣ÒâæÒâíÒâê´╝Ø4.974x10^24kg ÒâùÒâ®ÒéñÒâá1´╝Ø4.8ÕàåÒâåÒâ®ÒâêÒâ│´╝Ø4.8x10^27kg ÒüåÒâ╝Òéô´╝ƒ ( Planet Zebesu of the mass of data: Supameto = 4.974x10 ^ 24kg prime 1 = 4.8 trillion Teraton = 4.8x10 ^ 27kg hmm? )
    • Òüê´╝ƒµ£¼Õ¢ô´╝ƒ ÒüéÒü¬ÒüƒÒü»ÒÇîÒé╣ÒâæÒâíÒâêÒÇìÒü«ÒÇîÕà¼Õ╝ŵ£¼ÒÇìÒü«ÒâçÒâ╝Òé┐Òü«ÕåÖþ£ƒÒéÆÚÇüÒüúÒüªÒüÅÒüáÒüòÒüäÒü¥ÒüÖÒüï´╝ƒ ( Huh? Really? Do you please send a photo of the data of the "official book" of "Supameto"? )
*** (Please refer to this tweet. https://twitter.com/wakaba691/status/439070943923564544 … ÒüìÒü¡ added, This Tweet is unavailable.)

• ÒüéÒéèÒüîÒü¿ÒüåÒüöÒüûÒüäÒü¥ÒüÖ´╝ü( Thank you! )

The very fact that this particular tweet doesn't exist anymore is also rather weird...

Well as I said the account it was made under doesn't exist anymore. But again it can be tracked to some guy going by 'wakaba691' with a Metroid-centric deviantart page that he appears to not have added to since 2015. I know this isn't standard but perhaps some detective word should be done. Perhaps if he can be contacted he could resupply the scan/image.

No I'm not saying it's a hoax, I'm saying that someone would have to go a long way to fabricate all this. I was responding to your suggestion the tweet could've been fake all along.

If it is that guidebook, then it is heavily non-canon as it was created by the Japanese toy company APE inc. rather than Nintendo itself http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Ape_Inc. Yeah... unless you wanna argue that scholastics' Pokemon guidebooks are canon...

Even if we assume that somehow it is canon, no scans have been presented and we can't just change entire stats because of it.

I wasn't actually saying that book on ebay itself was the source, just hinting at the fact that loads of Japanese-exclusive Metroid books exist for Super Metroid itself.

It doesn't matter though because thanks to the folks at SpaceBattles I've found the correct mass on the Japanese Metroid wiki, the source of the lost Twitter image confirming the numbers, and it's looking like there's another source - developing situation as of now - confirming

But yeah it's looking like they didn't realize how much 4 "trillion teratons" was. At a corrected 4.974├ù10^24 kg or 4.974 BILLION teratons Zebes falls under Earth's 5.9 billion teratons. Which would make sense since its density is 9.18 g/ÒÄñ and radius is 5187.987 km, yielding acceleration rate of 13.31 and 1.36x G.

So a little less mass than Earth, a little less volume, but more density and slightly higher gravity.

I see

"correct" is right now at best a subjective term.

Author's intent really doesn't have ground here, it's what they did do that counts.

At the moment, no changes can be done, at least until you provide scans and they go through the discussion.

I don't think it's subjective at best, I think it's self-evident at this point. I don't really get into debates about intent really, but when something can be demonstrably proven to be a legit error I think it should at least be made a note of. I don't expect this site to accept it and honestly thought I'd get much more backlash for suggesting the inflated numbers were wrong. But I do think that if I can sway the site towards a more reasonable view on this I should try to.

I'll post what I've got so far once I get home later, but I'll say now that the guys over there are trying to work on scans with Metroid-Database. Which is good because the book in question goes for more than I want to spend for it.

Not sure how long it's going to take to get these sources up but I just want to keep this place in the loop. And I get how hard it is change long-established views on this kind of thing. I was part of the first wave of folks that dismantled the galaxy-busting Broly myth years and years ago. The DBZ wiki tried very hard to censor me just for citing the actual Japanese dub lines. The English dub was official afterall, so it counted in their eyes. But I'm rambling. I do think that when this is all said and done, regardless of how unlikely it is that changes will be made, I do hope that at the very least a disclaimer note can be added to the bottom of the page similar to others citing the alternative data. Marvel/DC characters get notes for powerscaling, FF7 gets notes on intent, and Broly gets notes on inconsistency. So hopefully that happens at least.

But yeah I'll keep everyone in the loop. Not expecting people to take my word for it on this. Just have to wait for better confirmation.

"I think it's self-evident at this point" Look, you're basically bringing to the table this: "A group of people who celebrated in the downgrading of Metroid showed that there was a page of unknown existence from a guidebook of unknown existence and unknown canonicity although said page is no longer available."

When I said "Subjective", I was basically trying to say kindly that at this point, that the likelihood of this actually existing and having a degree of effect is very speculative.

Look, there will be no backlash (tell me or the rule violation thread if there is), it's just that... well, I wouldn't get your hopes up on the pages.

Thanks for asking Metroid Database to work on the scan, even if it's non-canon, it could be a nice piece for Metroid Extended lore.

In case the wiki glitches and I can't see this thread, when, and if, the pages are scanned, you can message me on my message wall about it.

As for the note, I'm sorry to say that until it is at least confirmed to say that, the chances of it being added is unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back