• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

RWBY vol 8 discussion thread

Interesting things:

So first Atlas won’t fall even if the Staff is removed, only when it is used for something else. So not only does that imply infinite range but it can also create anything as well. I think the Staff might be the strongest Relic. Can’t wait to see the Sword.

The whale having a docking bay is hilarious and also man is it massive. Salem seems to be controlling the whale and everything outside with her magic.
Also in the intro, it shows her with wings.
I don't know why it would imply it can create anything nor why it'd have infinite range. Can you explain the logic behind that?

Well right now the Staff is what’s powering Atlas. The fact that removing it from the Vault won’t cause it to fall, only when you use it for something else implies the infinite range. After all, what happens if you remove the Staff and take it all the way to Vacuo? Theoretically, because it wasn’t used Atlas would still be floating even all the way across the world.

As for creating anything, that was stated by Oscar who has Oz’s memories.

Well right now the Staff is what’s powering Atlas. The fact that removing it from the Vault won’t cause it to fall, only when you use it for something else implies the infinite range. After all, what happens if you remove the Staff and take it all the way to Vacuo? Theoretically, because it wasn’t used Atlas would still be floating even all the way across the world.

As for creating anything, that was stated by Oscar who has Oz’s memories.
Yeah that still wouldn't lead to infinite. It might be continental or planetary or even more. But isn't enough to say infinite. I guess you can say limitless or something.

Also he just said create something else. Why would that mean it could create anything?

image0.png

This is from the opening and we should use this for the relics profile

T_staff_of_creation2.png
Not perfect due to the background being gradient, and the intro not giving us an HQ shot, but should be serviceable until the concept art comes out.

So Salem's strategy is to vaguely occupy Mantle hoping Oscar runs into Grimm, while sieging Atlas and patiently wait for its inhabitants to starve?

If Ironwood shot the councilman dead, then CRWBY didn't plan for us to like Ironwood so much.

They better remember to evacuate the crater before the staff is removed or used for something besides making Atlas not fall.

In Volume 7 Ruby argued that saving Mantle is more important than focusing on the bigger picture, now she is arguing that the characters should focus on the bigger picture. Um... Character development?

Last edited:
T_staff_of_creation2.png
Not perfect due to the background being gradient, and the intro not giving us an HQ shot, but should be serviceable until the concept art comes out.

So Salem's strategy is to vaguely occupy Mantle hoping Oscar runs into Grimm, while sieging Atlas and patiently wait for its inhabitants to starve?

If Ironwood shot the councilman dead, then CRWBY didn't plan for us to like Ironwood so much.

They better remember to evacuate the crater before the staff is removed or used for something besides making Atlas not fall.

In Volume 7 Ruby argued that saving Mantle is more important than focusing on the bigger picture, now she is arguing that the characters should focus on the bigger picture. Um... Character development?
I think you misunderstood RWBY's problem with Ironwood's plan. It's the sacrifice of Mantle, but even then Ruby said "we have a chance to unite the world. If we could hold out long enough...". That's when Blake made it clear the "right thing" would be to defend Mantle until they can be evacuated to Atlas. BUT this was before Salem appeared. Now that she is here, she wants to still protect Mantle BUT since she can't convince Ironwood she wants to call for help. Even if no one comes, they'll still be warned about Salem. So she's not against Yang helping Mantle but informing the world is more important because she ultimately knows that they aren't beating Salem.

So judging from both the outside and the interior, how big do you think the whale is? Could it possibly be larger than Atlas?
Unlikely, but possible. We'll probably find out soon enough.

Well that was terrifying. The bloodhound Grimm is capable of transforming and it can talk. Oh, it also grew wings.
Yeah. Speaking, transforming, thinking Grimm. It's called The Hound (credits) and as cool as it is bodying Oscar isn't much of a feat atm. Neither is rag dolling Ren. But time will tell I suppose. Regardless, it's pretty sick.
facts, also Oscar got one shot by that thing oof. So it's probably super high into large bulding level if it did that
Definitely not a one-shot but he got bodied. So far The Hound is looking to the seventh strongest Grimm, putting above every known Grimm besides "boss" (Sea Feilong) and "sub-boss" level Grimm (Alpha Megolaith). Obviously, it could go higher but that'd require some impressive feats.
[/SPOILER}

For future reference, this seems to be the best image for scaling Monstra so far.
PgzpUN5.png

My conservative estimate is that the height of the main body (without the gravity Dust crystals) is 75 meters, and the length of the whole thing is 270 meters.

Em's and Merc's concept art:

It is stated that Grimm grow smarter with age, so my guess is that the Hound is just a very ancient Grimm. Have seen some weird theories.

53ed73e7d8dfdc5ef8f736a1fe27484abb827426.gif

I am surprised Ruby profile doesn't already have pseudo-teleportation and intangibility, but the info-dump should settle any doubts. I guess we can add Limited Matter/Molecular Manipulation as well.

And yes, Ruby's Semblance does turn her into rose petals. Recall this quote from Qrow where he describes Ruby's Semblance:
Did you know crows are a sign of bad luck? Old superstition, but it's how I got my name. You see, some people can absorb electricity, and some people can burst into rose petals. And some people are just born unlucky. My Semblance isn't like most.
So the rose petals aren't some fancy vfx only the audience can see. In Ruby's short, the Gorilla Grimm was confused by the rose petals as well.

May Semblance >>> Ren's Semblance.

The AceOps's arguments against Penny are invalid; Winter/Ironwood either lied in their debriefing, AceOps want to bully Penny and psychologically disorientate her with guilt, or there is bad writing going on. For now, I am guessing Ironwood lied to AceOps to boost their loyalty, since writers seem to want Ironwood to be less morally grey this season so we don't root for him over the main characters.
AceOps have shoddy teamwork as always without their leader barking orders. Their first move against a single dangerous opponent should be to have Marrow STOP them. Writers seriously shouldn't have made Marrow's Semblance so OP.

Nora's scars will cause Ren more trauma and angst. Hope we don't get flashbacks to ORNJ's fight against Neo; I still believe that it was one of the most incoherent and worst written segments in the entire show.

Evil hacked Penny hype.

How much of Maiden powers require practice? It seems a small storm cloud was created instinctively.

It is not established how unfinished Amity is. The common theory going around is that it is now meant to send a single long-range message instead of functioning as a satellite that reestablishes global communication, while hoping Grimm doesn't destroy the whole thing too quickly.

@ShadowWhoWalks Her profile did have that, it was removed because people didnt believe it hence why im having a small gloat about once again being right when everyone said i was wrong ovo

As for Penny, seeing as Amber was also able to create a storm it likely doesnt take a lot of practice, also its nice consistency that they made Penny overpower the ops with her maiden powers active but get overpowered by them when they werent, as well as consistency of maidens who arent well versed with maiden powers being overpowered by groups of skilled normal huntsmen

I am surprised Ruby profile doesn't already have pseudo-teleportation and intangibility, but the info-dump should settle any doubts. I guess we can add Limited Matter/Molecular Manipulation as well.

And yes, Ruby's Semblance does turn her into rose petals. Recall this quote from Qrow where he describes Ruby's Semblance:

So the rose petals aren't some fancy vfx only the audience can see. In Ruby's short, the Gorilla Grimm was confused by the rose petals as well.

May Semblance >>> Ren's Semblance.

The AceOps's arguments against Penny are invalid; Winter/Ironwood either lied in their debriefing, AceOps want to bully Penny and psychologically disorientate her with guilt, or there is bad writing going on. For now, I am guessing Ironwood lied to AceOps to boost their loyalty, since writers seem to want Ironwood to be less morally grey this season so we don't root for him over the main characters.
AceOps have shoddy teamwork as always without their leader barking orders. Their first move against a single dangerous opponent should be to have Marrow STOP them. Writers seriously shouldn't have made Marrow's Semblance so OP.

Nora's scars will cause Ren more trauma and angst. Hope we don't get flashbacks to ORNJ's fight against Neo; I still believe that it was one of the most incoherent and worst written segments in the entire show.

Evil hacked Penny hype.

How much of Maiden powers require practice? It seems a small storm cloud was created instinctively.

It is not established how unfinished Amity is. The common theory going around is that it is now meant to send a single long-range message instead of functioning as a satellite that reestablishes global communication, while hoping Grimm doesn't destroy the whole thing too quickly.
Qrow and anyone saying Ruby bursts into rose petals doesn't matter since. Since they don't know what her semblance actually is. That's the point of Penny's explanation. I don't know why you'd reference anyone else when they were all incorrect. Also, I never said the roses weren't real, just that she isn't the petals.

No one lied, they mean that Penny's taking the maiden powers put Winter in a difficult position. And Penny delayed them getting to Fria. Don't know why'd assume they just lied when nothing suggests that. I won't bother addressing the Marrow thing.

Incoherent? What didn't you comprehend?

@ShadowWhoWalks Her profile did have that, it was removed because people didnt believe it hence why im having a small gloat about once again being right when everyone said i was wrong ovo

As for Penny, seeing as Amber was also able to create a storm it likely doesnt take a lot of practice, also its nice consistency that they made Penny overpower the ops with her maiden powers active but get overpowered by them when they werent, as well as consistency of maidens who arent well versed with maiden powers being overpowered by groups of skilled normal huntsmen
She also could be drawn upon Fria's experience.

Back